Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu May 10, 2018 6:33 pm

I'm just funin' with you

I'm feeling better today :yay
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu May 10, 2018 6:48 pm

seemslikeadream » Thu May 10, 2018 5:33 pm wrote:I'm just funin' with you

I'm feeling better today :yay

Funnin' with me, funkin' with me, it's all cool! :coolshades
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu May 10, 2018 6:53 pm

bump I don't want this to get lost

stillrobertpaulsen » Thu May 10, 2018 5:25 pm wrote:
Burnt Hill » Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 pm wrote:Wonderful! I hope it helps too. Care to comment on the current title issue on the Skripal thread?

Not specifically, but just in general: members writing an Original Post in any forum can title their thread....

Drumroll please....

Whatever the fuck they want!!!

With one exception: do not put the word fuck in the title of your OP. I believe Jeff set that rule years ago.

If anyone else is aware of any other exceptions, please let me know on this thread.

On edit: that does not apply to the Current Events forum. Please make the thread title conform to the story being reported.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Elvis » Fri May 11, 2018 12:35 am

Problem solved?

The proper way to use an existing headline as a thread title is to put quotation marks around it.

I'd like for us to adopt that as a guideline to identify any thread titles that are quoting a headline.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri May 11, 2018 6:34 am

can't you just read the post and see that it is the headline sometimes there is not enough room for the headline itself and now you want to put quotes in it when it is perfectly obvious when you read the post that it is the headline...for the life of me I can not figure out what you are complaining about...14 years and now it is a problem?
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Elvis » Fri May 11, 2018 1:11 pm

It's a perfectly reasonable, practical suggestion. It's just the proper way to do it. I've always put headlines in quotes when it's the thread title, it's not a burden. And no, it's not always evident that a thread title is a pasted headline.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri May 11, 2018 1:17 pm

if you find room to put quotation marks in an OP title fine by me...I don't think I have ever seen you do that ...put quotation marks in an OP of yours...could you post an example?

if one opens an op and reads it will be extremely obvious

in my opinion it is just silly but you are free to do whatever you want but I doubt there will be rule change about it after all these years of working just fine the way everyone has done it for 14 years.....I see it as micro managing

In all my time posting on 5 different discussion forums I have never seen anyone do this in 16 years or suggest that it be done until now

It just seems redundant ...
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Elvis » Fri May 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Elvis

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri May 11, 2018 3:39 pm

first I'd like to say I am trying to disagree with you and not be disagreeable or wishing ill will far from it

i did not mean to mis quote you...I did not mean to change what you wrote ......

maybe I am misunderstanding you all together because these examples do not seem to be what you are talking about

this one had the quotes in the article and I just c/p it I did not purposely put them in

'US believes Syria moving part of chemical stockpile'

this one is not the title of the article at all

"New Enemies: Google, Netanyahu, Cato (Koch) and Youtube"

this one already had the quotes in the article and the whole title is not in quotes

Human race 'will be extinct within 100 years'

the whole title is not in quotes either and is exactly c/p the way it was in the article

DoD Investigating Nine Cases of "Terrorism-Related Acts" by US Military and Contractors?

I just don't think it is necessary and I had no idea exactly where you were going with the suggestion so it was a bit of ......where are you going with this suggestion?

some of those words are not all contained in quotes

it is not practical for me if it is practical for you you can do it...I have wasted too much time trying to fit a headline from an article in that small space to begin with and then I would have to take more time trying to figure out what words to leave out so I can add unnecessary, in my opinion, quotation marks which will change the title of the headline even more

I think it the grand scheme of things it is just not that important to me and I have never encounter it so ......I guess it will be up to you to post the way you want and anyone here that agrees with you can do it also

bottom line if that is the way you want to post be my guest I will continue to post the way I have always posted for 14 years I am not going to change now I just don't think it is necessary or convenient for me to do.....the very minute someone clicks on one of my OPs they will find the headline in quotes ....that is sufficient for me ....anytime I post a story with a link I put it in quotes right up front very easy for any one to see immediately

I'll just leave it there I have said my peace on the subject just to say almost every single OP I start has the exact headline in quotes 1/2 inch below the subject box which can be seen immediately when the OP is clicked on and I think that suffices

and most all of the time my headline is in
big blue letters that no one can miss

example and I did not like the headline but I went with it because it was the headline in the article I was posting

it seems to me the OP box acts as a stand in for quotation marks
The NSA Chief Says Russia Hacked the 2016 Election. Congress Must Investigate.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40179

if anyone wants to post the way you are suggesting that's fine I really have no opinion on how anyone posts their ops never gave it any thought till now
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Sat May 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Elvis » Thu May 10, 2018 11:35 pm wrote:Problem solved?

The proper way to use an existing headline as a thread title is to put quotation marks around it.

I'd like for us to adopt that as a guideline to identify any thread titles that are quoting a headline.

I can certainly see that bringing clarity to a thread started in General Discussion. In Current Events, I think adding quotation marks in the title is superfluous. But I certainly wouldn't fault anyone who wants to do that, just as I wouldn't fault anyone who doesn't.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 am

Having just posted on the Animal Uprising thread, I considered that it is primarily Current Events that get posted there, and that perhaps that thread, and maybe others, should be moved to Current Events.
Burnt Hill

Postby minime » Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Thumbs up for the Current Events forum as it's evolving. A home for seemslikeadream, separate from any real discussion, but too new, maybe too ephemeral, to be placed in Data and Research. The raw content is readily available elsewhere with more detail and greater context, and there is no subsequent discussion, so it's not necessary to even open the forum.

I'd like to second (third?) the nomination of slad as moderator of this (Current Events) forum (and this forum alone of course) as she would be the most likely candidate to move any threads to Data and Research--she will likely be the one to develop them. This would also relieve the moderators of the onerous responsibility, and maybe free them to add their own content.

Frankly, I don't know why it hasn't happened already.

Again, thanks, and something, something like an apology to 82 for his relatively light touch heretofore.
minime

Postby peartreed » Mon May 14, 2018 5:28 pm

While the “Slam SLAD Stalkers” continue to dance teasingly around the rules in the pursuit of personally punishing the most prolific poster here, many of the more considerate and kind members are appreciating the moderators’ attempts at encouraging more respect, fairness and civility in collectively improving on the forum format and function. Let’s keep that as the focus for our exchanges on it. Not SLAD slamming.
peartreed

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon May 14, 2018 6:52 pm

minime » Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 am wrote:I'd like to second (third?) the nomination of slad as moderator of this (Current Events) forum (and this forum alone of course) as she would be the most likely candidate to move any threads to Data and Research--she will likely be the one to develop them. This would also relieve the moderators of the onerous responsibility, and maybe free them to add their own content.

Thank you for this, minime. When I deleted the thread nominating slad, it wasn't to punish Jerky for the suggestion, just that I thought the thread felt out of place with the rules recently established there and I wanted to give the place a sort of clean reboot, if you will. But I'm certainly not against the idea. I don't know if RI has ever had a moderator for just one specific forum alone. Might be a welcome change.

However, I do recall seemslikeadream nixed that idea on the deleted thread. So I don't see that change occurring.

But if you change your mind, seemslikeadream, let 82_28 and I know.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby minime » Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Mon May 14, 2018 4:52 pm wrote:
minime » Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 am wrote:I'd like to second (third?) the nomination of slad as moderator of this (Current Events) forum (and this forum alone of course) as she would be the most likely candidate to move any threads to Data and Research--she will likely be the one to develop them. This would also relieve the moderators of the onerous responsibility, and maybe free them to add their own content.

Thank you for this, minime. When I deleted the thread nominating slad, it wasn't to punish Jerky for the suggestion, just that I thought the thread felt out of place with the rules recently established there and I wanted to give the place a sort of clean reboot, if you will. But I'm certainly not against the idea. I don't know if RI has ever had a moderator for just one specific forum alone. Might be a welcome change.

No-brainers are my specialty.

:eeyaa
minime

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion