Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon May 21, 2018 5:00 pm

After being operational for roughly two weeks, Current Events already has 60 topics posted. IMO, having all those topics stickied above the other General Discussion topics would have the opposite effect intended with the creation of the new forum: clutter would be intensified. So I'm going to keep it the way it is.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:53 pm

SRP - can't speak for Iam, but I was thinking of a subforum within GD for Current Events. Not putting 60 stickies above the existing topics in GD. Just a single sticky called "Current Events" that would open up the Current Events forum, just as it does now from the Board Index page.

Don't know if that's possible with this board - but something like that would have no effect on clutter whatsoever.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Yes, exactly so, mentalgongfu2. No one has suggested posting some 60 or so threads as stickies, but they would be within the GD sub-forum entitled Current Events. With this clarification I should hope to change your opinion, stillrobertpaulsen, but I doubt you'll shift from your intransigent position. After all, if you would, some might see your cooperation as weakening your position of power. No harm in trying it out, though, now that you have sticky powers, and easy to reverse.

Perhaps you've misunderstood my request srp. Your response seems to me that may be. So there will be no misunderstanding of my request, here is what I've asked for:

A top of the list sticky subforum of General Discussion entitled Current Events, with all current event topics contained within that subforum, and none overflowing into any other General Discussion subforum topic.

No hard feelings one way or the other, but I thought it best to clarify my earlier comment after learning where this new Current Events sticky was located. I also allow that what I'm requesting might not be possible, I have no knowledge of the mechanics involved. Thank you for your response.
Iamwhomiam

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue May 22, 2018 6:09 pm

Thank you for the clarifications, mentalgongfu2 and Iamwhomiam. Sorry if I seemed intransigent, I was confused, I thought you were asking me to change the Current Events forum itself that was just set up.

I can't create a sub-forum; that's an administrative change and I don't want to annoy Jeff anymore than I already have. What I can do here is either create a sticky with a link to Current Events or I could put it in the Announcements subforum here in General Discussion. I think it might look better that way; I'm not sure if I just did a sticky if it would be above or under this Rhetoric thread that I've currently stickied. What do you think?
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Thank you, Robert. I suppose the only way to find out would be to experiment a bit. All is reversible and any change can be as lasting as only few moments, long enough to see the result. If it works out, perhaps it could become a permanent change; if not, revert back to how it now is, as you initially established it to be.

I don't want you to waste your time or to cause you more work. I can live with it as you set it up. I really know little about the mechanics involved in such matters. Either way, change does not necessarily equate to being beneficial.
Iamwhomiam

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed May 23, 2018 3:40 pm

OK, the link to Current Events is at the top of the Announcements subforum here in General Discussion. Give it a click!
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 23, 2018 7:41 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm wrote:OK, the link to Current Events is at the top of the Announcements subforum here in General Discussion. Give it a click!

I don't get it. It's the top thing on Board Index anyway. Shouldn't there be a sticky link to GD at the top of CE?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm

:shrug:

Change you can believe in!

Hah! A link? Ok. Sorry to trouble you. :roll:

I had imagined current events leading GD as a sticky above all other topics discussed in GD. A link was not at all suggested and provides no remedy. I'll not bother you about this again.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 am

JackRiddler wrote:I don't get it. It's the top thing on Board Index anyway. Shouldn't there be a sticky link to GD at the top of CE?

In order to facilitate going back and forth from CE to GD. Considering CE does not focus on any one genre it makes sense. It has the potential to stimulate further discussion with a plethora of data points. Allows for dot connecting. Saves precious time.
Burnt Hill

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu May 24, 2018 2:06 am

Current events and general discussion are intrinsically linked, but of course distinct.

Logistically we may not have figured it out, but if we are on board with the process we should be okay.
Better than okay really because it also solves the prior complaints of board clutter and Trump fatigue, and can also help us get GD back to a stronger RI focus.
Burnt Hill

Postby JackRiddler » Thu May 24, 2018 3:53 pm

This is totally going to break down the long-form thread tradition in which breaking stories went into a subject-related thread, but okayfine.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 pm

JackRiddler wrote:This is totally going to break down the long-form thread tradition in which breaking stories went into a subject-related thread, but okayfine.

You're not alone in this view. But the decision has been made, and clearly, the moderation team is not inclined to reverse course at this point. My hope is that after a period of evaluation, they may reconsider if your prediction turns out to be correct.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 pm

JackRiddler » Thu May 24, 2018 3:53 pm wrote:This is totally going to break down the long-form thread tradition in which breaking stories went into a subject-related thread, but okayfine.

I think a major breaking story, while still a current event, should probably be posted straight to GD.
That is what I would do, anyway. When you know it will garner attention, post to GD.
But yes I have been waiting to see how it will shake out too!
Burnt Hill

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:37 pm

JackRiddler » Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 pm wrote:This is totally going to break down the long-form thread tradition in which breaking stories went into a subject-related thread, but okayfine.

It may yet lead to those huge goldmine threads being clearly labeled, though. I'm curious!

The CE subforum seems to have done *a lot* of good here.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Honestly guys and gals, I have no idea how this will pan out. I won't announce the other "new mod" until Jeff makes the changes necessary. First thing's first, I am a huge pushover who actually really longs to get along with every single entity on Earth. I have said all along since becoming a moderator that I have been here long enough to see those here can basically moderate themselves. I have also expressed that I will moderate as though I were bartending. That means, I will listen, contribute, "collaborate" but won't put up with bullshit. It never feels good to suspend someone for a week (which I have yet to do) or 86 someone from a bar for a week. But I look at it the same. If it causes more commotion than respectful dialogue then, I or our new mystery mod will have to step in.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion