Stephen Hawking RIP LIP

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Stephen Hawking RIP LIP

Postby peartreed » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:34 pm

That was a riveting recap of your close encounter of the memorable kind with Dr. Stephen Hawking, 82_28. I felt a kinship with your honest reactions as I read it.

I helped raise one of my in-laws who was born crippled and later became wheelchair bound, so I was able to witness people’s reactions as I wheeled the handicapped, apparently helpless hostage, through many crowded, public venues.

What onlookers didn’t know - and often failed to find out - was what a wonderful personality and mind that lurked behind the outward appearance of confined pathos. Once engaged, the charisma of this character overwhelmed audiences.

Similarly, two other close relatives are children, and both of them are autistic savants on the “endowed functioning” or high end of the spectrum. Otherwise they are everyday kids, still under twelve and wondering why “normal” people often behave so strangely around them. They can already psychoanalyze a response.

It’s compelling to see their innocence learning to cope with their uniqueness as humans. The wheelchair-bound also have to learn to steer through labels and leering ignorance. It takes an effort on both sides to see past the assumptions.

Thankfully, afflicted people can develop their personal self-esteem independent of what onlookers reflect as typical reactions to them. They soon learn that they are so much more than their bodies, their condition and their appearance. They already understand that, initially, ignorant people make all the wrong assumptions about them. They no longer depend on the reflections back from their audience for approval and self worth. They know their unique value has awesome potential.

Dr. Stephen Hawking not only opened a new understanding of our vast universe, he exemplified a similarly genius personal insight into human nature around him and reacting to his condition. His life remains an inspiration to everyone, especially the handicapped and so-called abnormal, for whom he remains a bright beacon of hope.
peartreed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jerky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Beautifully put, Peartree.

J.
Jerky

Postby chump » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Hmmm…

I appreciate the idea of Stephen Hawking, scientific genius creating the universe for us to see, while dealing with such a debilitating disease. He made his life look relatively easy, because he had his pride and preferred we didn’t feel sorry for him. Unless you’ve lived it, even if you have a close friend or relative who has suffered a debilitating illness or injury, you have have no idea of the constant struggle they endure - just to deal with dire dis-comfort and simple chores... We take it for granted when we roll out of bed, shit, shave, shower, dress ourself, or make a meal. I’ll always respect that Hawkins apparently did what he had to do to face his challenges everyday - and still produce something of value for the rest of the world…

Nevertheless, it would be remiss not to include a couple of clingers.

I recently re-watched Little Big Man, and the lad who starts the recorder in the opening scene looks a lot like Stephen Hawking.

Then, there is Miles Mathis’s insensitive thesis.

*fixed mis-spelling
Last edited by chump on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
chump

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:25 am

Ahem.

Hawking, chump. Hawking.

:sun:
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Cordelia » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:34 am

Didn't see the the 2014 biopic on Hawking, but this is the ending score, composed by Johann Johannsson (a bright star that died prematurely, also this year) titled 'Arrival Of The Birds'..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3b1a2OnhQ

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby chump » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:36 pm

M-mmm …

Stephen Hawking is exceptionally understandable…

chump

Previous

Return to General Discussion