LIES, LIARS, AND LYING

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: LIES, LIARS, AND LYING

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Asta wrote:Didn’t people at one time feel righteous indignation over being lied to?

He can correct me, but isn't that pretty much Belligerent Savant's point too?
We are overwhelmed by so much falsehood that it is hard to appreciate the crumbs of truth we receive.
The thing is, we are in such a predicament that we need more liars to help us out of it.
It is really an untenable situation, really tests our coping skills as human beings.

That being said, how do I not root for Mueller?
Burnt Hill

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:37 pm

the only way I know how to get to the truth is to READ EVERYTHING and make up my mind after that....

if you think it is bad now try living through the Vietnam era

if you don't root for Mueller who is going to take down a criminal mob organization?

Barney Fife? :P

governments are bad but the mob is worse especially the ones with nuclear material
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby norton ash » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Today in lying.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-fal ... m?ref=home

Trump Falsely Brags to Donors That Conor Lamb Liked the GOP Tax Reform
The president also claimed during the fundraiser that Lamb said he’s “like Trump.” The Democratic candidate never said that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... d0acefaecd

Why Trump’s admission that he made stuff up to Justin Trudeau is particularly bad
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Jerky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Am I imagining things or has there been a serious acceleration of The Crazy over the past two weeks?

Sure feels like it to me.

J.
Jerky

Postby norton ash » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Accelerating like the Tasmanian Devil and coming right toward us.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Sounder » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Am I imagining things or has there been a serious acceleration of The Crazy over the past two weeks?

Sure feels like it to me.

J.

Gotta say, shits impressive that can hold the ground in supposed 'enemy' territory.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:30 pm

it's not a common thing for a president's campaign manager to be wearing two ankle bracelets AND ordered on House Arrest....facing 300 years in prison ....all those red names down there are convicted criminals/cooperating witnesses and already
100+ felony charges.....and we have a ways to go ....this will end up being largest White House criminal operation in the history of this country when all is said and done and the target is getting buggy. :evilgrin

I can feel the tremors of a massive earthquake
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Asta » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:32 pm

I think Barney Fife got caught telling a few fibs, and we all know Opie tried a few times. And there were consequences, even though it was TV Land, but there seemed to be some moral obligation in story telling way back then. There were rules about ethics, no one got away with murder. Well until Alfred Hitchcock came along...

As SLAD said, READ! Do your research. The problem I believe i see is that analytical thinking is not being taught in many school systems. Or that a percentage of people in our country are willing to allow someone to do their thinking for them, because thinking is just so hard.

How do we free/analytical thinkers influence those whose heads are in the sand to look up without further pissing them off and alienating them?
Asta

Postby dada » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Asta » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:32 pm wrote:How do we free/analytical thinkers influence those whose heads are in the sand to look up without further pissing them off and alienating them?

I'm not sure this is a task for free/analytical thinkers. If it were, we'd have answered this question long ago.

I think free/analytical thinkers, if they're being honest with themselves, ultimately realize the limitations of the rational mind. Something else is required.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Elvis » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 am

True story:

Today my 82-year-old mother, scheming to obtain doctor's approval for early discharge from a convalescent facility, told me three times, "Now when I tell the doctor what I'm going to do, don't contradict me!"

At the meeting, the doctor was reluctant to approve early release "on medical advice." My mother assured him that she'd be okay because she'd be "staying with my son at his place in [city 100 miles away]."

Ha! News to me! And impossible, as she knew. The doctor must have noticed my surprise, and asked what I thought of that. I said that I thought she should complete her stay and course of therapy (which was true).

The doctor turned to Mom, grinned and said, "I think the reality of the situation is not matching up with what you're telling me..." (which was true).

She said if she spent one more night in that place, she'd go to the roof and jump off (mostly a lie).

After my brother said he would stay in town a few days longer to be with her (true), the nice doctor signed the release and we took Mom home.

An English prof began class one day by telling us, loudly, "The word home is the most powerful word in the English language." That may be true.

Later, driving me home, my brother and I talked about how Bernie Sanders never lies, and how people really liked that about him, even if they only sensed it.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Grizzly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:58 am

Are 'Novichok' Poisons Real? - May's Claims Fall Apart
http://www.moonofalabama.org/

We're only talking about WW III, no big thing....
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Sounder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:48 am

Oh come on Griz, it's for a 'good' cause, where is your sense of social cohesiveness?
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:24 am

Sounder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:48 am wrote:

Oh come on Griz, it's for a 'good' cause, where is your sense of social cohesiveness?

That's just it. Who is anyone going to blame this time? As in, who got us into this? There does not seem to be a clear enemy the variegated in-groups are supposed to hate. Since most of us here are in the US or at least the North American continent, we are now served a reality that our government(s) are/is hopelessly corrupt and must deal with this as it is now. This is the reality. There are no good guys. There is hate for neighbors, family, friends, ethnic groups, religions, politicians, entertainers, genders. There is nothing concise to hate, but there is plenty to be mined from fear of everyone at any random time. So we stew in it. This is the reality. The conditioning going on will not vaporize with one robust move by the last of anyone sane enough to turn the heat down to low. As far as the US, the Constitution is definitely in total limbo. Nobody knows how strong it is because it comes down to interpretation. Yet even that cannot move the hearts of those set upon cruelty.

Visible actions putting incremental pressures upon liberal democracy (liberal as to our system -- not any particular party) has rendered what is happening now alternately invisible or something will save the day. These official and admitted lies et al are very much so a likely death knell right outside our door as there is not a force that can calmly combat it. There are quickly becoming less and less of any kind of outlet and really any considerable faction who would care were there to be one. The sense of fair play is becoming an artifact of the past. Too many have accepted that dishonesty in those with positions of trust is acceptable and to be expected that I don't think it will be painlessly overcome at this point.

But I hope I'm wrong.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Asta » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:24 am

I found “On the Decay of the Art of Lying” by Mark Twain. I will share some quotes when I’m finished reading it.
Asta

Postby Cordelia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:53 am

^^^
Thanks for the heads-up; fwiw.....here's an audio-reading......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2XxojuE6b8

“Lying, the telling of beautiful untrue things, is the proper aim of Art.”

~ Oscar Wilde from 'The Decay Of Lying'
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion