Introducing Andrew Yang Democrat

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Introducing Andrew Yang Democrat

Postby 82_28 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Not much here and haven't listened to the podcast. But if he is who he says he is, I agree with everything. Which of course means he doesn't have a chance.

It's early yet, but how does Andrew Yang sound as The United States' next president?

Andrew Yang is running for President to save America from the robots

In the first episode of the new “Interesting People in Interesting Times” podcast, recorded March 5th Andrew Yang, tech entrepreneur, founder of Venture for America, and author of The War on Normal People: The Truth About America’s Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future, discusses his latest endeavor — vying for the Democratic party nomination to run for President of the United States.

Yang outlines his radical policy agenda, which focuses on Universal Basic Income and includes a “freedom dividend.” He talks about the very real and immediate threat of artificial intelligence, how new technologies are erasing millions of jobs before our eyes, and why we need to put humanity first. He also addresses “the big four” and what he plans to do about Amazon.

During the interview, Yang called out governments inability to address large scale problems and the challenges that technology is creating in modern American society.

“I believe that we need to start owning these realities [of automation and artificial intelligence taking away jobs] and these challenges as a people, as a country, and as a society, and start being honest. I’m running for president to solve the big problems and to show that these things are not beyond us,” Yang says.

Yang’s own plan to address the increasing power tech companies are wielding in the world involves something called a “freedom dividend”, which would paid for by a value-added tax. The revenue from that tax (levied on “gains from the big four”) would be redistributed via the “freedom dividend” to citizens, Yang says.

Yang also discusses his idea for incentivizing social contributions in his vision of a new American society.
“People talk about the things that should be valued, like caring for the elderly, but we don’t pay those people now. Journalism is another example. My plan is to supplement the freedom dividend with a new digital social currency that is meant to map to pro-social activities,” says Yang. “There are many things that the monetary market right now will not value appropriately: raising children, arts and creativity, caring for the elderly, environmental sustainability, even science. Our society does not reward these things appropriately. My plan would be to create a new currency and put the new currency against it. This new currency can be traded in for dollars, but if you [do that] you’d tax it, which no one would do, so you’d hoard them like Amex points. You can trade [these new digital currency points] and have this parallel economy based around things that we know are good.”

Listen to the podcast here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/int ... 10414?mt=2

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/18/andre ... he-robots/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Introducing Andrew Yang Democrat

Postby Rory » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Just a throwaway comment. I'd need to spend more time looking at his proposals to gauge the sincerity and/or plausible application of what he says. But it made me laugh to see him using Apple iTunes as a platform for taking on "the big four".
Rory

Postby 82_28 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:59 pm

He was just a guest on a show that uses the iTunes platform. In fact, it also can be found here:

https://audioboom.com/channels/4947870
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Elvis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks, I had not heard of Yang. I'm cautiously optimistic! Now is the time to start shaking things out.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Grizzly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:14 am

Jan. 25, 1979: Robot Kills Human

https://www.wired.com/2010/01/0125robot-kills-worker/

1979: A 25-year-old Ford Motor assembly line worker is killed on the job in a Flat Rock, Michigan, casting plant.1 It's the first recorded human death by robot.

Robert Williams' death came on the 58th anniversary of the premiere of Karel Capek's play about Rossum's Universal Robots. R.U.R gave the world the first use of the word robot to describe an artificial person. Capek invented the term, basing it on the Czech word for "forced labor." (Robot entered the English language in 1923.)

Williams died instantly in 1979 when the robot's arm slammed him as he was gathering parts in a storage facility, where the robot also retrieved parts. Williams' family was later awarded $10 million in damages. The jury agreed the robot struck him in the head because of a lack of safety measures, including one that would sound an alarm if the robot was near.

Thanks in large part to the industrial assembly line, the robot has become commonplace in today's world. But unlike the one that killed Williams, today's robots vacuum floors, blow up landmines, rove on Mars, harvest fruit, may soon care for the elderly and are already largely responsible for producing printed circuit boards.

Those and other advancements are fueling a wide-ranging ethical discussion over robots, machines that Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates suggests are to become the focus of the next technological frontier.

One age-old concern is the Luddite argument, a fear that machinery would eventually replace the worker. Another more-evolved concern surrounds the common science-fiction theme of robot intelligence exceeding human intelligence.

Under that theory, the machines could rise up and eliminate their It's the first recorded human death by robot.masters, a concept forbidden under Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics." The first rule spelled out in Asimov's 1950s I, Robot stories says: "A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."

When it comes to robots, scientists don't want to wake up one day and ask, "Oh my God, what happened?" as some did following the development of nuclear weapons, said Ronald Arkin, the director of the Mobile Robot Laboratory at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

He described Williams' death as an "industrial accident," one in which the lack of physical safeguards were at fault. The death was not caused by the robot's will, he cautioned.

"It was not an ethical lapse, unless you're a Luddite against the Industrial Revolution," Arkin said in a recent telephone interview.

Three decades after Williams' death, governments are beginning tIt's the first recorded human death by robot.o regulate robots. Scholars are exploring the legal implications of a robot's actions and whether they'll soon need their own lawyers.

Arkin is concerned more about the human spirit's reaction to interacting with robots, especially as one goal of robotics is to create a personal companion to fulfill our daily needs, like the robot Rosie from The Jetsons.

"What are the consequences of that if we succeed?" Arkin asked. "Artificial things may be more desirable and attractive than their faulty human counterparts."

1. The original version of this post mistakenly placed the death in a different Michigan City. This Day in Tech regrets the error and thanks the readers who pointed it out.

Source: Various

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby iridescent cuttlefish » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 am

Funny how the system relies on these tired old tried & true tropes to defend itself--preemptively labeled critics "Luddites" in this case--as if they're just so damned confident that history has been as safely sanitized as the worldview of our gloriously competent electorate...
iridescent cuttlefish

Postby Sounder » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 pm

One age-old concern is the Luddite argument, a fear that machinery would eventually replace the worker.

Duh, I guess I'm a Luddite.

Hey iridescent cuttlefish, it's good to hear from you.
Sounder

Postby DrEvil » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 pm

I like what he's saying, although I'm skeptical of his "freedom dividend". Sounds like a tax targeting specific corporations because he doesn't like them. Better to increase taxes on the rich across the board and institute some kind of blanket ban on tax loop holes. Make sure they pay what they're supposed to.

I'm all for UBI, and I think it's going to be inevitable at some point, but society is going to need some serious changes for that to happen in a decent way. Most likely we'll end up with a large underclass living at a minimum level carefully calculated to be just enough to avoid mass civil unrest. Any flare-ups can be handled by the local corporate security (for which they obviously get a tax break).

We also need to get away from the mindset that not working somehow makes you worth less. Work shouldn't be a virtue in itself but something you want to do, either because you're one of those sick people who enjoy it, or because you want to supplement your basic income.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Return to General Discussion