Julian Assange, 2018: Year 6 in Ecuador's Embassy, London

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Julian Assange, 2018: Year 6 in Ecuador's Embassy, Londo

Postby Elvis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:31 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:Here's the proof: A search for my own posts in "Blonde Land" produces only 8 results, and they are all posts by other posters quoting something I had posted there.* But the posts themselves have vanished. Not a single actual post of mine survives in that eight-year-old thread. Not one:

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/sear ... sf=msgonly

Mac, here is your original post referred to in the some of the returns of your search (found with Google):

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29320&start=45#p368263

Here's your original post referred to in the fourth search return:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29320&start=15#p367711

So far in my check, no posts are actually missing; I could search for more.

Not sure what to say except that for for finding such passages, Google works much better than the RI search function.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:56 pm

You're right, Elvis... Mystery solved, d'uh. :wallhead: . Mea culpa. What's more, some of the posts I was looking for are in fact in the new Skripal thread, which I started just two days after I'd started this here new Assange thread, and for much the same reasons.

Sorry about the confusion and the waste of your & the board's time and attention. I should really know better by now than to rely on RI's search function.

Feel free to delete this entiire exchange so that the thread can get back on-topic. Or else leave it up, for the record, as you see fit.

I shall now do penance by boiling my head.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Rory » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:09 pm

SmartSelect_20181205-102332_Twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/10 ... 00032?s=19
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 am

MacCruiskeen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:56 pm wrote:You're right, Elvis... Mystery solved, d'uh. :wallhead: . Mea culpa. What's more, some of the posts I was looking for are in fact in the new Skripal thread, which I started just two days after I'd started this here new Assange thread, and for much the same reasons.

Sorry about the confusion and the waste of your & the board's time and attention. I should really know better by now than to rely on RI's search function.

Feel free to delete this entiire exchange so that the thread can get back on-topic. Or else leave it up, for the record, as you see fit.

I shall now do penance by boiling my head.

As a member who still reads but does not post very much, I appreciate the above. I predicted this exact result but refrained from posting because of the hornets nest. It seems to me this is not the first time you or others have incorrectly asserted that posts here are being scrubbed by moderators or by posters with secret moderator powers. Perhaps it is wise for anyone making this assertion to check their assumptions and do a little more due diligence before pushing an apparently false conclusion, especially given the subject of this thread and the arguments made herein.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Rory » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:44 pm

https://apnews.com/0b95cddbe0614d47b71c07c827710210

QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — Ecuador’s president says Britain has provided sufficient guarantees for Julian Assange to leave his government’s embassy in London, where the WikiLeaks founder has been living under asylum since 2012.

Lenin Moreno said in a radio interview Thursday said his government had received written assurances from the U.K. government not to extradite the Australian activist to any country where he would face the death penalty.

Moreno didn’t say he would force Assange out, but said Assange’s legal team is considering its next steps.

Assange has long maintained the he faces charges under seal in the U.S for revealing highly sensitive government information on his website.
Rory

Postby Grizzly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:51 pm

"apparently false conclusion'..
???
I too am guilty of thinking that has been scrubbed or hidden only to find a super shitty 'in house' search
engine. This board claims to be a research and archive data holder, so forgive me if one comes to the "apparently false conclusion' that one should be able to find shit. As Jeff has all but abandoned this place one could also conclude, perhaps falsely, that it was given over to The Canadian Security Intelligence Service. Would make an awesome honeypot, to take down the loads and loads of research, commentary, discussions and data posted here and not found easily elsewhere on the webtubes. I half expect/expected that.. However, given the (pointed out already) thankless job of mods, and free repository one can't complain to much. Having said such, it wouldn't be to much to ask (if one were to be so forward) that a working search engine (since Alphabet aka THAT DON'T BE EVIL COMPANY*) has long since shown what it really is... a surveillance platform...and perhaps, a "Warrant canary" be provided for RI.

One could wish I suppose. Since we're entering the wishful season. But certainly wont hold my breath.

*https://www.thecreepyline.com/

Yes, good mods, back on topic ...

Hacking, Leaking and Investigative Journalism
https://www.c-span.org/video/?313279-1/panel-discusses-hacking-information-activism

Panelists talked about computer hacking and information activism. The spoke about the history of Anonymous, hacking, information activism and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which the panelists argued is over-reaching and means anyone using a computer can be prosecuted.

It's all good, but in particular, anthropologist, Gabriella Coleman talks specifically about Assange and whistle-blowers in general.

I say Assange is/was a Journalist, perhaps the saviour of said, 5th Estate.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Whether Assange died October 2016 or not....
Politico Caught Running CIA Propaganda About Assange
https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/a3pcgu/politico_caught_running_cia_propaganda_about/

Comment:

The latest attacks against Julian Assange being perpetrated by the Mockingbird MSM are the perfect example of how the Fake News narrative has permeated all of mainstream "journalism" today.

This pernicious propaganda became very obvious once certain bad actors began attacking anyone who defended Assange as being a Russian operative.

Although the peddlers of Fake News are currently in charge of the narrative, their grasp on the reins is slackening, as the population can only stomach so much mendacious misanthropy before the rot starts to truly spread.

Fortunately, folks like Jimmy Dore are around to call out these extreme levels of bullshit when they see it.

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Elvis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:31 pm wrote:Not sure what to say except that for for finding such passages, Google works much better than the RI search function.

All too true! The phpbb search engine sucks. Google is spectacular (which is why they get to rule the world).

Do this henceforth:

site:rigorousintuition.ca "USERNAME" "thread title"

Definitely use the quotes for username. Forces it to return results with that exact username.

If thread title unknown, add the logical search strings, with or without quotes.

What you want will almost certainly be on the first results page. Never takes me more than 2 minutes to find exactly what I want.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for the tip, Jack. I'll use that exact method in future. [Six months later: "MODS: Ive been searching all day for a post by JackR, about how to find posts on RI. Has that post been erased? I'm 100% sure it was in the Wall Street thread. This is a worrying development. What's happening? Thanks, MacC."]

Has anyone seen my glasses? Ah, I left them in the fridge, tsk tsk, silly me. Has anyone seen my glasses?
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Grizzly, you're not being fair. This is an unfinanced site, now something like 12-13 years old, running the freeware phpBB system, which is its own kind of relic (although it still gets updates). As far as free systems you can set up on your own site (as opposed to other hosting solutions), it seems to be the best. I also use it on other sites I've set up. The search engine sucks. It's unlikely to ever be improved adequately and given as a gift to the phpBB community, because legacy gets in the way. It would be easier to start from scratch, but the results would no longer be compatible. So that's the reality.

"Meanwhile, the admittedly evil Google has gotten so damn powerful that this very post will be searcheable within a few minutes." Here, let me provide the link, searching for the prior sentence in quotes, including an apparent misspelling, and let's see how long it takes before the All-Seeing G has absorbed it:

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q="Meanwhile%2C+the+admittedly+evil+Google+has+gotten+so+damn+powerful+that+this+very+post+will+be+searcheable+within+a+few+minutes."&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Whoops, the outdated phpBB software strikes again. The link does not embed properly, so copy-paste all of it into your URL bar and see what happens.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Grizzly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Fairness? Decency? How can you expect fairness or decency on a planet of sleeping people? --- Gurdjieff, 1918

:hug1:

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 am

That link doesn't lead back here yet. Hours already. So totally PWND myself!

JackRiddler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:40 am

Today the Ecuadorian regime announced that the UK's Tory government and their MI6 have (allegedly) promised that they will not deliver Assange into any nation-state that still uses the death penalty. How reassuring. When can we expect a binding public announcement to that effect from Prime Minister May herself?

But even were Assange so foolish as to trust their word, this still leaves several options open for May and MI6. They might, for example, deliver him into the hands of a nation-state that promised only to imprison him, if found guilty, for 60 or 600 years. Naturally only after a fair trial.

And that certainly doesn't exhaust their options.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 am

I too am guilty of thinking that has been scrubbed or hidden only to find a super shitty 'in house' search
engine. This board claims to be a research and archive data holder, so forgive me if one comes to the "apparently false conclusion' that one should be able to find shit.

Grizzly, The "apparently" was me being generous, as most of the assertions referenced are provably false. I have trouble counting the number of times disgruntled posters have made this assertion in recent times, all of them being proved incorrect. There is no reason I have seen to think anything is being deleted. I can't say as to whether the site is being monitored, and while that is an important question, it's irrelevant to the topic(s) at hand.

If your best whine is that the search engine here sucks - well, welcome to 10 years ago, as this is no surprise to anyone who has been on this board for any amount of time. Sorry that our legacy board doesn't meet your standards. But it takes a load of ignorance and/or assumptions to assert that one's inability to find a particular post EQUALS "someone deleted my posts."

We're sitting here talking about media making assumptions and connecting dots that may not exist RE: Assange, but those same people are making assumptions about RI and its shitty search function equating to some internal conspiracy at this board, apparently oblivious of the parallels and contradictions to the topic at hand. But rather than acknowledge you were wrong, you want to focus on the fact that 'in house' search is shitty. Well, it is. No argument there. But what's shittier is when people are so stuck on their preconceived notions, or otherwise arrogant or self-righteous, that they can't just acknowledge that they were wrong about something and instead have to blame their false conclusions on a shitty search engine.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Grizzly » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:25 pm

^^^ *Rolls eyes*

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion