Anthony Bourdain dead of suicide

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Anthony Bourdain dead of suicide

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I hate to be a dick and while I could be wrong about this, I really don't know where he found his knowledgeable Seattle people. While I have always dug his "message" (esp re: Kissinger), I wonder maybe where he dug up anyone for any of his shows.

Watch the first bit of this when he was in Seattle that I just checked out:

Let me tell you a few glaring mistakes/misrepresentations.

The first bar he goes to right at the beginning, the PI (Pacific Inn Pub), I went to nightly for a good part of a decade (which ended about two years ago because I moved -- I literally lived a half block from there). Those cats he talks to over fish and chips are no regulars of the area and other similar bars. I bartended at another bar for years a few blocks from that spot and trust me, I would recognize those supposed experts on Seattle. I know the exact area and public very "intimately". Also, considering the crowd and that time of day because of the sunlight through the windows, the setup for his crew would have been impossible without multiple takes. It's literally as wide as a mobile home.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6496217 ... 312!8i6656

Since I wasn't living in that area and quit going there all the time right before he did his show in Seattle, I really missed out. No doubt I would have been there for that. But those close up shots are impossible in the way they are portrayed as just being out and about in Seattle. Just sayin'. But I will go there and ask about how the fuck it was filmed the way it was next time I go in.

The next one was that tattooed guy on Capitol Hill who along with Bourdain lamented the building of a Whole Foods. Bzzzt. Another area I know well. There is a "brand new" Whole Foods that has been approximately about 5-7 blocks from where he was pointing out for 10 years. Built right before the "Amazon boom".

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6185829 ... 312!8i6656

Again, just sayin'.

But definitely RIP.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 pm

lucky wrote:He was taking chantix(sp) to stop smoking which can have some nasty side effects inc suicidal thoughts.

Sounds like "bingo"...pushed ovr the edge.

I've never seen Anthony Bourdain on TV, but his photos remind me of John Cassavettes. All I know about him was in a New Yorker profile/book review, where his remark that "whatever it is that comes out of a garlic press, it's not garlic" made a deep impression on me. I never did like garlic presses and felt vindicated.

Love the Kissinger bit.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Grizzly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 pm

The vid above lost sound about 11 minutes in, for me. Anyone else?
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 pm

No it did. You're not the only one. I might have had more criticism had the audio run all the way through.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Previous

Return to General Discussion