Stepping down and stepping out

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Stepping down and stepping out

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm

I am posting this announcement to formally declare that I am stepping down as moderator of RI.

Why? I am undergoing a major career change next week and my new job involves travel and increased time commitments that will prevent me from posting here, much less moderating here. I have informed 82_28 and Jeff and a new moderator will be appointed soon.

While I'm not sure if I would have taken on the demands of moderating had I known about this job potential at the time, I have no regrets. I did my responsibilities to the best of my ability and I hope the changes made during my time here have made RI a better place. I wish all of you the best!

:sun: :sun: :sun:
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Stepping down and stepping out

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Hello, stillrobertpaulsen! Congratulations on securing your new job, Thank you for becoming moderator and for doing your best to improve upon RI's format. I wish you well. Hopefully, you'll still contribute from time to time, as your free time allows. Best to all your crew as well, Neek and Sar.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby peartreed » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:44 pm

All the best, SRP, in your new challenges.

Your positive and constructive contribution as moderator at RI is also much appreciated.
peartreed

Postby Cordelia » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:08 pm

Congratulations on the new job and Thank You for all your hard work SRP.

Safe travels and smooth sailing..... hope you'll still post whenever convenient, wherever you reach a port......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34jZePnMQNQ

:hug1:
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby 82_28 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Maybe Elvis will introduce himself as one of our new overlords. But welcome the even hand of Elvis. I think he's logging in now to the new digs for him. He intends to also throw his weight around. :wink

(Trust me, there really isn't anything special about being a mod. Just a few extra controls like your E-brake going 80 down the freeway. I sure hope I never have to use it!)
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Godspeed stillrobertpaulsen! Good work you have done here. :sun:
Burnt Hill

Postby Elvis » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:08 pm

I'd like to acknowledge stillrobertpaulsen's fine efforts and their positive effects on the board — thanks, SRP!

Reading his OP here, I was immediately reminded of Solon, "the wise lawgiver of Athens" who reformed the Athenian social & political structure and then promptly excused himself to let his changes work themselves out. For ten years he traveled widely before returning to Athens. I hope we'll see SRP return, too, with new insights from his travels.

As 82_28 said above, I've agreed to serve as moderator, I'm humbled by the nomination. I've only glanced at the new buttons on my screen and will be figuring out the mod powerz bells and whistles. I have this weird new sense of objectivity and responsibility. By way of 'disclosure', 82_28 and I know each other in person; we met online on RI and subsequently visited IRL at local RI get-togethers and have separately gone out drinking together when I'm in town. I think the friendship is a good thing for us as moderators, as 82 has proven himself an A-1 fellow who has my complete trust.

I have no "policy statement" at this time. I'll just do my best for the board and our members & readers. Carry on!
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Hugo Farnsworth » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:50 am

@SRP, best of luck on your new gig. I may be moving to Hillsboro OR. Not likely at the moment, but I have a hankering for new scenery.
Without traversing the edges, the center is unknowable.
Hugo Farnsworth

Postby Jerky » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks for your good work. SRP. Good luck at the new job!

yer old pal Jerky
Jerky

Postby Heaven Swan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:34 am

Congratulations SRP. Nice to hear that you have a good work opportunity. :sun:
Many thanks for the positive changes you've brought.
It's sad to see you go, but thanks to Elvis for stepping up to the plate. :thumbsup
"When IT reigns, I’m poor.” Mario
Heaven Swan

Postby elfismiles » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 am

Congrats and thank you SRP for your service.

- SMiles
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:49 am

Elvis » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:08 am wrote:I'd like to acknowledge stillrobertpaulsen's fine efforts and their positive effects on the board — thanks, SRP!

Reading his OP here, I was immediately reminded of Solon, "the wise lawgiver of Athens" who reformed the Athenian social & political structure and then promptly excused himself to let his changes work themselves out. For ten years he traveled widely before returning to Athens. I hope we'll see SRP return, too, with new insights from his travels.

As 82_28 said above, I've agreed to serve as moderator, I'm humbled by the nomination. I've only glanced at the new buttons on my screen and will be figuring out the mod powerz bells and whistles. I have this weird new sense of objectivity and responsibility. By way of 'disclosure', 82_28 and I know each other in person; we met online on RI and subsequently visited IRL at local RI get-togethers and have separately gone out drinking together when I'm in town. I think the friendship is a good thing for us as moderators, as 82 has proven himself an A-1 fellow who has my complete trust.

I have no "policy statement" at this time. I'll just do my best for the board and our members & readers. Carry on!

Next time you're together w/a few drinks under the belt and board members are misbehaving, be sure not to resist temptations to pull some moderator pranks! :wink

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Elvis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Cordelia wrote:Next time you're together w/a few drinks under the belt and board members are misbehaving, be sure not to resist temptations to pull some moderator pranks! :wink

Oh sure, take all the fun out of it! :rofl2
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Thank you SRP.

Congratulations your new job. May it be a pleasure and also sustaining.

Hope you still have time for your family travelogues. Otherwise what are Neek and Sara to do?
PufPuf93

Postby norton ash » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Thank you, robertp.
Zen horse
norton ash

Next

Return to General Discussion