Whither the Democrats?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Whither the Democrats?

Postby dada » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Ah, I see. Looked him up. Tom Walker. Another political comedian. Great, just what the world needs.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby conniption » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 am

Art Metrano on The Comedy Shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeETPTClL00
watchginotv
Published on Nov 16, 2017
conniption

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 am

dada » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:29 pm wrote:Ah, I see. Looked him up. Tom Walker. Another political comedian. Great, just what the world needs.

I was actually thinking today after watching SBC's latest (which is amazing) that comedy and ridicule is what "we" need. Yet I feel it can badly backfire. How? I don't know because I don't have a sinister bone in my body (a prankster one! Thus I so love his work this time) and I never plan on owning a weapon. I also have wondered what will happen if the comedians were not here. I would gain so little levity out of life without them. Since my hospital stay last year and subsequent convalescence, I could never miss one of the late night shows. It has carried over into increased mobility. But tonight I wondered how many people are watching this shit? I don't know. Like voting, if I like it, it is dead in the water. Still I "try". But I wonder for what. I guess we will see. There does have to be some form of "status quo" if we care about others. Revolution can I think be "fought" in other ways but I do not know what that means. I know I can do it. Have done it every day of my life and never been in a fight. The fights I have had I threw people down and then helped them right back up or have said I'd rather shake your hand because this won't end well for either of us. Comedy and levity totally helps is my long winded point I suppose. I am also reminded of one of my life long favorite songs from one of my favorite bands. You might not like it, but I have always had this song in the back of my head since I was 13 or so.

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby dada » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 am

No, I know it, and I like it.

And yeah, comedy and levity are good and necessary. I guess I'm just not into the topical, political comedy thing.

There's lots of great comedy. My brother keeps telling me to check out Seinfeld's coffee with comedians thing, or whatever it's called. I'm all for comedy.

But I feel like everyone is always so caught in the mainstream trance, their attention is hooked on this stuff. Political humor doesn't help for that, it seems to me like it's feeding it. But if people need that pressure release and they can't escape the politics in any other way, I can understand that.

My brother was also telling me about the SBC. Actually, I read about it here, told him about it, and he watched. He likes political comedy, watches John Oliver and all that stuff. I mean he likes all kind of comedy, and like, everything else under the sun moon and stars. Guy is into everything, I don't know how he does it.

I don't like trolls, but I have to say from what he was telling me, that SBC sounds pretty impressive. Maybe the one troll I've ever said "alright, that's some funny shit," about.

I honestly think just writing thoughts out in a clear, intelligent way is a revolutionary act nowadays. Keep doing what we're doing right here, it's an act of protest against conformity.

Status quo, I don't worry too much about. It will stand or fall of its own no matter what I do or say about it. I just stay prepared, in case that day comes when it does all fall apart.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 am

I'll pass on anything with Seinfeld on/in it. I find him way too arrogant these days and his mossad video a few months (a year?) ago pretty much sealed it.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 am

Here's the the latest SBC stuff right now as of Sunday, dada.

Pro-gun activist duped into sucking sex toy to fight terrorism in latest Sacha Baron Cohen show

Video at link:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/pro-gu ... ohen-show/

:backtotopic:

My bad. But everyone should see that.

I think?
82_28

Postby dada » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:42 am

heh, yeah that's my reaction to Seinfeld too. Never been a big fan. But my brother says there's some genuine funny in there. So I don't know, I'll give it a shot one of these days, see if I can stomach him long enough to get to the laughs.

But you know, Benny Hill, Steven Wright, Andy. Rodney, all the old Jewish comedians from way back. That's my comedy. Old, old school, I guess. The bad horror movie hosts I watch are some funny motherfuckers. Dry humor, bad jokes that fall flat. That's my favorite kind.

I think this comedy is on topic. This is one of the left/right issue threads, and we're discussing the merits of political humor, making comparisons. It's relevant to the left/right mainstream media narrative, at least. Fits the tone of the thread.

That's how I've been seeing RI recently. There's classic RI-style threads, that try to penetrate deeper, think critically about issues. Then there's the garbage in/garbage out threads filled with words and ideas of people other than the posters here, with little original thought or commentary. Whatever the corporate media says are the hot button issues this week, left/right division games, keep the people entertained. Then there's the natural and man-made disaster threads that pop up when some unexpected shit goes down. Those are usually pretty straightforward.

Plus, the Democrats doubling down on failure is the topic of this thread, and that's comedy! haha Some dark humor right there.
dada

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:19 am

comedy gold

it is extremely amusing to me that someone would think the democrats are responsible for trump.....the party of pedophiles, racists, old white men, voter suppression, religious zealots, xenophobia, homophobia con men and grifters are the guilty party here...trump is THEIR guy......yea let those bastards off the hook
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am

I would agree that in general, there is no small degree of shared responsibility betwixt the winners and losers of an election. Presumably both teams did their best work, while being battered by twenty-four months of news cycle noise and random events.

However, when you lose an election to Donald Trump, I think the self-recrimination is hardly out of line. (I also think most observers would concede that Clinton lost the White House more than Trump won it. Even the popular vote / electoral college facts only highlight the fact 2016 was blown, and by the width of a fingernail, too.)

Christ, James Comey probably did more damage to Hillary Clinton's campaign than the Trump team did, and he's hailed as a #Resistance icon.

Sorry to keep steering this thread back to comedy, but these are the times we live in, I suppose.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 am

well Comey is a republican ...there's that amusing fact

he could have spilled the beans about Gooilania and the New York FBI (an investigation that is STILL going on) or the trump treason investigation going on before the election ....fun times

I don't remember a time when dems fought over what was the right scenario to call someone a n***er...those republicans are a laugh a minute
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby dada » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:07 am

I understand where you're coming from, slad. You're on the left, Donald is on the right. That's not where I'm coming from, though. I'm looking at it as the political class and their wurlitzer app on one side, and us on the other. It's simply a confusion of levels of analysis.
dada

Postby Grizzly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 am

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 am

not voting got us this

a president of the United States kidnapping 2000 brown children

a president of the United States owned by the Russian mafia

and the White House is suing Omarosa.......says it all

the president of the United States called a black woman a dog.....
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby dada » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 am

It's the non-voters fault!

Incredible. You finally caught us. The real culprits behind the curtain.

I'm being peaceful, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let you walk all over me! haha
dada

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 am

if you do not vote you get what you deserve ......good thing black people decided to laid their lives on the line to vote...but maybe you think they should have stayed in the fields

maybe my grandmother should have been satisfied not to be able to vote at all

white men :roll:

so easy for them to say no need to vote

it is just fine for the pres to call a black woman a dog ...you know what a female dog is don't you?

it is perfectly fine for a pres to use the word n****er

it is perfectly fine for a pres to kidnap brown kids

it is perfectly fine for a pres to grab women by their p****ies

who is he going to come for next?

hopefully it won't be you.....for you are comfortable correct? I can understand that

About 100 million people couldn’t be bothered to vote in 2016........It's the non-voters fault!......YES IT IS!

It is the non-voters fault that we have a racist for a president

A 100 million people had the power in their hands and they were too lazy to use it

in 1970 I did not have the right to chose.....just 40 years ago.....good thing women fought for the right to vote

funny thing some women really don't want to be bare foot and pregnant
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion