The "What Am I Really Looking At" Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The "What Am I Really Looking At" Thread

Postby Panic Weather » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... amey-manor

Some notes: Department of Defense parking sticker at 1:42. Possibly related participant at 2:22.

"Haunted House" proprietor McKamey uses ex-cons and former military as his assistants, and is a self-described conservative.

The San Diego location (located near multiple military bases) has been closed down, with two new locations opening in Tennessee & Alabama.

Why is it a non-profit enterprise? What's up with all the dogs? What techniques are used in the "Haunted House" that were also used/pioneered at nearby military bases? How many "Dual Purpose" operations could be speculated to be running here? Who are the target audience(s) -- the "consensual torture" guests, the "ex-con" volunteers, the local neighborhood, or the general public?

Strange quote from career ex-Navy "Haunted House" proprietor Russ McKamey:

"The guests wear these CIA ear-buds—you know the kind that go in your ear—and they also wear noise cancelling headphones which has this awesome soundtrack that I’ve created. And it’s running through their head, cranked up. They’re getting all the sights and sounds and smells that way, and we’re talking to them through their headset."
Panic Weather

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The "What Am I Really Looking At" Thread

Postby Jerky » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:14 am

I watched this doc a while back and had similar questions about this guy's motives. I almost feel ashamed to say that I thought it was limited to this guy trying to sublimate (work out) his own profoundly sadistic and possibly murderous impulses in a (mostly) harmless fashion. GOOD EYE on your part, spotting what you did. Now I'm open to considering broader questions. If you stay on this, I'll be interested to learn what you discover. If I find out anything more... I'll definitely share with you here.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 am

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:40 pm

The waiver aspect is really interesting, because those waivers don't protect him from liability at all, at all. His difficulty with zoning and insurance companies indicates he's probably got a personal hobby instead of an authorized op. What's interesting is that he seems to have found sponsors just the same.

Via: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html

“They know the truth that I have footage of everything,” McKamey said. “I tell people they’ll get cuts and bruises. It’s aggressive. But these people weren’t injured like they say they were.”

Via: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html

McKamey says his manor makes no money and raises funds for animal welfare. When he lost his job as a veteran’s advocate this year, he said, he attempted to move his financially strapped venture to a more affordable region. He ran into public opposition in Illinois.

Article is from 2015.

As of July, McKamey was planning to move to McLeansboro, Ill., a town of about 3,000 people in the southeastern part of the state. McKamey said he arranged to rent space and dropped off about $35,000 worth of equipment, when problems started to arise.[/b]

Because McKamey Manor did not charge for admission and entertained only a small number of participants, the city didn’t automatically scrutinize it for conformity to codes and regulations as it would a business, McKamey said. He recently applied for a business license for the first time.

A review of city code enforcement and police records show there have been few complaints about McKamey’s home on Almazon Street in San Diego, where he takes his patrons.

City code enforcement went to McKamey’s house in December 2014 and found a violation related to room additions and structures. McKamey brought everything up to code by March, and a citation was never issued.

Police said they have records of three calls for service related to the address within the last two years, two of which were calls from McKamey and one of which was a report of a kidnapping that did not turn out to be a crime.

McKamey said the “kidnapping” was him bringing an electrician to his own home. He said he doesn’t like people to know where he lives, so he picked up the electrician from another location and hooded him for the ride. Suddenly, the police were on his doorstep.

Via: https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/ ... nt_te.html

"You have to spend three hours with me," he said, where the horror is "mainly psychological. This is where I'm going to really mess with your head. That's where it gets really tricky."
Part of the thrill of his self-described hobby is making people "lose their minds." He says he uses hypnotism, and plays on people's fears and weaknesses.

"It's insane the amount of work we put into one person," he said. "Their phobias, their fears, all the dirt from their family and friends. It's a complete experience, physical and mental, like nothing else."

An interesting wrinkle on the "Who are the target audience(s)?" question --

Via: https://steemit.com/news/@chelsea88/leg ... ss-mckamey

Furthermore, he claims he has a live feed in Vegas where people bet on the participants and give him and his "talent" ideas on what to do next.

Via: https://www.fastcompany.com/3052859/run ... -you-think

In its prime, McKamey Manor boasted five different locations (including one across the border in Tijuana), was regularly included in roundups of the best haunts, and bookers in Las Vegas even reached out to stream active runs through the manor and place bets on the action. For all the popularly McKamey Manor garnered, none of it turned into profit–not even from Vegas.

I flatly disbelieve that this man is losing money or broke.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Via: http://www.scaretouruk.com/intense-attr ... manor.html

ST So talking of your videos – they have a massive following on YouTube?

RM- The videos are just a taste of what we do and can’t prepare anyone for the full 7-8 hour experience they will actually have to endure. Talking of watching - I am present through all tours of the house – filming it for the guest to see afterwards but also for our live feed into Las Vegas. I’m not sure who these people are but they are watching the whole scenario from afar. Wouldn’t surprise me if they weren’t betting on how long a guest will survive!
Wombaticus Rex

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:40 am wrote:The waiver aspect is really interesting, because those waivers don't protect him from liability at all, at all. His difficulty with zoning and insurance companies indicates he's probably got a personal hobby instead of an authorized op. What's interesting is that he seems to have found sponsors just the same.

Good point about the legal difficulties, but wouldn't that depend on how much distance the authorizers of said op want to establish from him in the open? This activity is advertised publicly, after all. He could still be getting a quiet subsidy.

"Animal welfare" is a good touch.

I flatly disbelieve that this man is losing money or broke.

Oh yeah, this.

Both possible: non-official op (of something that may also be non-official itself) or guy who got a taste on the inside and doesn't want to let that thrill go.

I’m not sure who these people are but they are watching the whole scenario from afar. Wouldn’t surprise me if they weren’t betting on how long a guest will survive!

I bid 400 kwatloos. 500 kwatloos! 600 kwatloos!

Yeah, something's up here.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby dada » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:12 pm

I still like the old haunted houses. And real old haunted houses.

Extreme Haunted House is a logical progression, no matter how you look at it.

edited to add: But I'd be surprised if someone wasn't at least studying it.

This is why I question the maxim "follow the money." What do you do when the trail goes cold?
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby 82_28 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:51 pm

I was wondering what to say (if anything) after watching that the other night. People kept asking me what was wrong. I was so perplexed at the willful, voluntary cruelty that I just had no words. I still don't.

I used to hang out with a cat in a "grind core" "gore core" band. He played bass. We actually worked together is how we met. He and his band would have totally dug this shit. One time I went out with the full band in their van and all they listened to was old skool Xmas music. But this was not during "the season". It was summer. Very incongruent and creepy, so to speak.

I'll echo the "nice observations" Panic Weather. I noticed another one but I can't remember what it was now. I don't know if I will watch that again.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby dada » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:35 pm

So what I'm really looking at is consensual torture, system-shock tactics for sport, the commodification of existential dread and the experience of loss.

It's kind of watching the entire commercial behemoth grinding itself up in slo-motion. Try to stay out of the way.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby 82_28 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 pm

No didn't watch again, but it was the oxymoron of that jackass in front of one of his "haunted houses" with a security firm stanchion while a "bloodied" woman was being hauled into the back yard. Security company being able to figure that one out.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Jerky » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:29 am

This is some quality discussion, folks. From what Wombat has dug up... I'd have to say, I agree that there's more going on here than meets the eye (or McKamey's commentary).

"You're watching PTSD-TV! Your 24-hour one-stop shop for psychiatric-torture, self-induced trauma, and participatory ego death! Brought to you by [REDACTED]!"

It's MKultra mind control techniques transformed into a spectator sport. Doesn't mean McKamey isn't an over-enthusiastic amateur, but with the democratization of information and technology... who knows? We've gone from desktop publishing to desktop film-making to desktop (ahem) "journalism". Why not desktop mind-control, and ultimately, desktop Total Fucking War?

Jerky
Jerky

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:54 am

Between his two-acre lot in Summertown and a mysterious second location in Huntsville, Ala. — McKamey won’t say much about that one — McKamey says he owns all manner of courses and contraptions designed to push people to their breaking points.

A full stay lasts about 10 excruciating hours, McKamey says, and no one has even made it to the supposed Huntsville portion of the show.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/arts-cul ... -on-demand

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby elfismiles » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:13 am

Can't / won't watch more than a few moments of that kinda shit.

But WOW good thread. Yeah, democratization of MKultra "enhanced interrogation techniques" indeed.

:starz:
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby DrEvil » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if they weren’t betting on how long a guest will survive!

<tinfoil>
Sounds like the publicity wing of some messed up Hostel shit. This is what they show us plebs. If you have a platinum membership (and a thorough vetting) you get to take part in the "real" thing, probably in Huntsville.
</tinfoil>
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Next

Return to General Discussion