Khashoggi Disappearance

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Khashoggi Disappearance

Postby Elvis » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 pm

I don't get this increasing assignment of 100% responsibility for the 9/11 attacks to the Saudis. Surely, one reason that investigation of Saudi involvement has been sidestepped for so long is that participation by other parties would be revealed. There's a can of worms there, and what could amount to turning Saudi Arabia into the patsy for a concerted effort among numerous actors, "case closed" etc.

The "fifteen hijackers were from Saudi Arabia" claim is a popular factoid but still surrounded by many questions. Just for one, have we forgotten Meuller's early acknowledgement that the hijackers used stolen identities? The "found" passports? The airport evidence "meant to be found"? Any longtime reader here knows I could go on and on with the discrepancies, anomalies and other indications that a number of parties worked in concert to make 9/11 happen.

But for this thread, I just want to suggest we be wary of placing all blame for 9/11 on the Saudis. While it seems certain that Saudi Arabian actors did play a role in 9/11, the identities of the hijackers, for one thing, are still very much up in the air (pun intended), and it seems as if some folks are forgetting all we've learned about the wider involvement of others.

Case not closed!

That said, it looks like Khashoggi's murder will be used as a lever—but to what end remains to be seen.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:23 pm

I don't get this increasing assignment of 100% responsibility for the 9/11 attacks to the Saudis.
But for this thread, I just want to suggest we be wary of placing all blame for 9/11 on the Saudis.

no one here is saying that

maybe people who do not believe MIHOP or LIHOP but I doubt anyone here fits that description

I will never forget and we have a great 9/11 forum

thank god for the 9/11 families for never giving up

seemslikeadream » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:25 pm wrote:
FBI Declassification Underway in 9/11 Saudi Suit

ADAM KLASFELD
October 12, 2018

MANHATTAN (CN) – Pulled into a legal battle 15 years in the making, lawyers for the U.S. government apprised the court Friday of its efforts to declassify documents that could link Saudi Arabia to the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

A memorial lies in the footprint of one of the World Trade Center’s twin towers, destroyed in the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. (William Dotinga/CNS)
“The 9/11 families have waited for years for this moment,” Steven Pounian, an attorney for the survivors, said Friday at a hearing in New York.

The breakthrough was made possible this past March when Saudi Arabia lost its bid to avert a lawsuit calling it liable for the deadly attacks 17 years ago on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

https://www.courthousenews.com/fbi-decl ... audi-suit/

:roll:
FrontPage Magazine is a right-wing, anti-Muslim political website, edited by David Horowitz seems to think Khashoggi believed 9/11 happened because of U.S. support for Israel
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 pm

emptywheel

Can we talk about what Turkey plans to accomplish with their exposure of the Khashoggi assassination?? It's not like Turkey is opposed to persecuting journalists or anything.

Is this about getting rid of MBS?

Ragıp Soylu

Verified account

@ragipsoylu
1h1 hour ago
More
SIGNIFICANT #Khashoggi updates:

• Turkish official tells CNN that Khashoggi was cut into pieces
• Turks to AJ, Saudi autopsy doctor Salah Al Tabiqi did the cutting
• Cutting lasted for 7 minutes, doctor told colleagues to listen music during the op
• Recordings exist

Ragıp Soylu

Verified account

@ragipsoylu
58m58 minutes ago
More
HUGE #Khashoggi update by Al Jazeera:

• Khashoggi was beaten and drugged before he was killed
• The murder executed in Saudi Consul General’s room, in Consul’s presence. (Citing Turkish sources)

Ragıp Soylu

Verified account

@ragipsoylu
Follow Follow @ragipsoylu
More
AJ continues to publish #Khashoggi updates:

• Khashoggi was killed upon his entrance to the consulate, no interrogation was conducted, recordings show, citing Turkish sources
11:37 AM - 16 Oct 2018

Ragıp Soylu

Verified account

@ragipsoylu
46m46 minutes ago
More
• Doctor asked Saudi Consul General to leave the room and continued to cut Khashoggi into pieces, recordings suggest, again citing Turkish sources

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1 ... 0319031296

Turkey releases passport scans of men it says were involved in journalist’s killing

Kareem FahimISTANBUL —
The passport of a suspected Saudi national involved in the disappearance of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi. (Obtained by The Washington Post)
Turkish officials have provided The Washington Post with scans of passports that they say were carried by seven men who were part of a Saudi team involved in the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

These passport scans add to the information made public by Turkey as it seeks to fill out the narrative of what happened to Khashoggi, a Post contributor who vanished after entering the consulate to obtain a document he needed for his upcoming wedding.

The Post is publishing the passport scans but obscuring the faces and names of the men because it has not independently verified their identities.

Within days of Khashoggi’s disappearance, Turkish investigators said they had pieced together most of the mystery, concluding that he had been killed inside the consulate and dismembered.

Turkey said a 15-member team dispatched from Saudi Arabia played a role in the killing. Turkish officials have confirmed that the 15 names reported in the Turkish media are those of the suspected team members, and their alleged involvement is part of the evidence cited by Turkey that Saudi Arabia was responsible for Khashoggi’s death.

Saudi officials have repeatedly denied any involvement in Khashoggi’s disappearance and say they have no information about his whereabouts.

[Pompeo calls for ‘transparent’ Saudi investigation of Khashoggi’s fate]

Over the past two days, Saudi Arabia has allowed Turkish police to search the consulate. But investigators have been frustrated with what they say is a lack of Saudi cooperation, according to two senior Turkish officials, who cited the long delay before they were allowed to enter the consulate. They also noted apparent Saudi attempts to scrub the scene by bringing in cleaning crews and repainting areas of the consulate. “People who have nothing to hide,” one official said, “don’t behave like this.”

Saudi Arabia has made no official statement about the men or said why they may have been in Istanbul on Oct. 2. A report on the Saudi-owned al-Arabiya news channel said the 15 were “tourists” who had been falsely accused.

The senior Turkish officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said they were eager to interview members of the 15-man Saudi team, all of whom were believed to have arrived and left Istanbul on the day Khashoggi disappeared. It was not clear why Turkish officials did not provide scans of all 15 passports.

The passport copies were provided to The Post on the same day as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s visit to Saudi Arabia, where he met with King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mi ... a230cce0cf
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Now THIS is the most thorough coverage I've run into regarding Khashoggi, who he was, what he may have been doing and what's going on with the Saudi regime in the last couple of years.

It makes all the difference when the researcher speaks Arabic and has been reading items by and about Khasshoggi in Arabic for 20 or 30 years. This guy is the Angry Arab blogger, the way.

I started bolding key passages, such as on Khasshoggi's relationship with Osama Binladin back during the Afghan jihad, but found that I was just bolding all of it.

https://therealnews.com/stories/duplici ... ong-prince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRG8lA3v0sg

therealnews.com
Duplicitous Khashoggi Picked the Wrong Prince

SHARMINI PERIES: It’s the Real News Network. I’m Sharmini Peries, coming to you from Baltimore.

We are just learning that Saudi Arabia will admit that it had something to do with the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and that he was killed in a botched up interrogation. Apparently, the plan was to interrogate and then abduct him from Turkey. CNN is reporting that the Saudis claim that the operation took place without clearance and transparency, and that those involved will be held responsible. Well, who is responsible? This was a rather quick investigation on the part of the Saudi investigative team that arrived in Istanbul only on the weekend. How did they so quickly come to such a conclusion? It appears that Saudis want this dealt with quickly, perhaps a part of their damage control plan.

This is now an opportunity for us here at The Real News to look further into Jamal Khashoggi. Who is he, who does he represent, why was he murdered? Our next guest writes: “It’s been odd to read about Khashoggi in Western media. David Hirst in The Guardian claimed Khashoggi merely cared about absolutes such as ‘truth, democracy, and freedom.’ Human Rights Watch’s director described him as representing ‘outspoken and critical journalism.’ ” With me is As’ad AbuKhalil. He’s a professor of political science at California State University. He’s the author of Bin Laden, Islam & America’s New “War on Terrorism” and The Battle for Saudi Arabia. He also runs a popular blog, titled The Angry Arab News Service. As’ad, good to have you with us.

AS’AD ABUKHALIL: Thank you for inviting me.

SHARMINI PERIES: All right, As’ad. Let’s start off with you telling us about Jamal Khashoggi, and what he stood for as far as journalism and ethics of journalism is concerned.

AS’AD ABUKHALIL: Well, I mean, he’s close to my age, so his name has been familiar to me since my early youthful days back in Lebanon. And in our progressive left-wing Marxist circles, he was always a symbol of reactionary advocacy on behalf of the Saudi regime and militant Salafi Islam. That’s what he stood for. The picture that is being painted in mainstream Western media is totally unrecognizable for anybody who bothers to read Arabic. Unfortunately, all the people who are commenting about the issue and commenting even about his record of journalism, so to speak, are people who have never read anything except in the Washington Post.

You cannot judge this man’s entire decades-long career of journalism by reading the English-language, edited articles he posted for the last year only. For much of his life, for the whole of his life mind this last year, this man was a passionate, enthusiastic, unabashed advocate of Saudi despotism. He started his career by joining bin Laden and being a comrade of bin Laden. There are pictures of him with weapons. He fought alongside the fanatic mujahideen, who were supported by the United States in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan among others, against the communist, progressive side in that war. And he was unrelenting in his advocacy on their behalf, as well as for his praise for bin Laden.

He got to be pretty close to bin Laden. That’s not being mentioned in the media as well. He only broke with bin Laden in the mid 1990s, what a coincidence. It was around the same time that the Saudi government broke with bin Laden. That tells you that he has been very consistently an advocate and loyal servant of the Saudi propaganda apparatus. Because when people say that he always cared about journalism, what journalism? There is no journalism under the Saudi regime. There’s only propaganda, crude and vulgar propaganda. And he excelled in the art of Saudi propaganda. He moved from one job to the other, and he was very ambitious early on. And he attached himself to various princes, because that’s how it works in Saudi Arabia.

He was close to Prince Turki al-Faisal, who was chief of foreign intelligence [NOTE: For 22 years until September 5, 2001] and the sponsor patron of bin Laden and the fanatical Islamists around the world. And he also was loyal to his brother, Prince Khalid al-Faisal, who owned Al Watan newspaper where he held his first editing job in that paper. In a recent interview he did only last year with a Turkey-based television station, in Arabic of course, he spoke about how his role was not only as an editor, but he was a censor. He was enforcer of the rigid dogmas of the Saudi government in the paper. And when people wrote he got trouble doing his job, it wasn’t for anything he wrote. He never wrote a word, never spoke a word against the wishes of the Saudi government. He got in trouble because some people in the paper were courageous, unlike him, and dared to challenge the orthodoxy of the government. That was the career of Jamal Khashoggi.

I also should say that for many years he continued, and he became a spokesperson for Prince Turki when he became ambassador in Washington, DC. And he got to be close to Western journalists because he was the man to go to. When they wanted to travel to Saudi Arabia, they wanted to interview this prince, that king, the crown prince, he was the fixer for them in that regard and that’s how they got to know him. And then, he attached himself to another prince, Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, who got in trouble with the new crown prince. That’s where his troubles started. He did not bet on democracy in Saudi Arabia, he bet on the wrong princes.

There princes he bet on fell out of favor, Prince Turki, as well as Prince Al-Waleed, later who wound up in Ritz in Riyadh last year. And for that reason, he had no prince. According to his own testimony, in an article that was written by David Ignatius who was close to him, he tried to be an advisor to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, but he wouldn’t take him as an advisor because he always was suspicious about his Islamist past, the fact that he was a member and later close to the Muslim Brotherhood. So, he became – spoke the language of democracy upon leaving the country.

The reason why they wanted to go after him, it had nothing do with his courage or anything like that. It’s because he was so central in the ruling media and political establishment, that his departure from the kingdom was not seen as dissent. He was not a dissenter, he was not a dissident. He never saw himself as one, or even an opposition figure. He spoke of himself as somebody who believed that the crown prince was doing the right thing but going about it the wrong way. I basically believe that he was seen by the government as a defector, that one of their own left the country and joined the enemies rank. And he was also having an audience with Western audiences from Washington DC, from one of the major mainstream newspapers. That was highly embarrassing to the ruling family.

In Arabic, I should mention, even in the last year on Twitter, he spoke a very different tone than what he wrote in The Washington Post. In Arabic, he spoke passionately about Palestine. Notice, he never spoke about Palestine in English, never spoke about that. In Arabic, he said, “We all are Trump” when Trump ordered the bombing of Syria. He never spoke like that in the Washington Post. So, he was an agreeable token writing for The Washington Post who never challenged the Western media and their coverage of the Middle East. And for that, he was quite agreeable to them. He never spoke about the Palestinians. I bet you, if he was advocating for the Palestinians or for the Islamist line that he called for in Arabic, he wouldn’t have lasted in his gig in The Washington Post.

SHARMINI PERIES: All right, As’ad. Tell us a little bit more about what you just said, which was that he backed the wrong prince. Why did he find himself on the wrong side of this prince, and some detail as to what the divide is?

AS’AD ABUKHALIL: That’s a very good question. And the thing is that the government of Saudi Arabia has changed in the last two years in a major way. For much of the history, since 1953 and the death of the founder, Saudi Arabia, even though it’s a despotic monarchy, is ruled by a collective leadership like the Politburo of the former Soviet Union. You have the royal family, and then you have the senior princes. Those are the ones with whom the king would consult on every matter. For that reason, as sinister and reactionary as Saudi policy was all these decades, but it was a result of a consensus within the royal family. For that, it exhibited signs of caution, reservation and deception always, because they were doing something in secrecy, and in public they were saying something entirely opposite.

Under the Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, government has changed. There is no collective leadership. For the first time in the history of the monarchy, we have a sole, undisputed despot who does not allow not only dissent, but advisers. Everybody has to be yes-men, and of course all of them are men, around him. He subordinated all the princes, he ended all the factions representing different princes. So previously, no matter who was king, Jamal Khashoggi was able to move between the princes, to have one patron one day, another patron of another day. That always worked because they were part of the senior princes’ set-up.

Now, there is no set-up like that. All the other princes, even his own half-brother, is under house arrest. This guy doesn’t want to allow anybody to share government, he makes all the decisions. And in fact, we can say that was his death knell. Maybe this is why this is going to change the course of his history. I mean, he will most likely stay in power, but I would argue that his best days are behind him. He will never be as powerful as he has been for the last two years, because now he knows he cannot trust his own instincts. When he ruled entirely based on his instincts, he presumably made the decision to get rid of this guy. He did not think the repercussions were going to be big enough.

And I still argue he’s going to get away with it, and there’s not going to be a price to pay by Western countries, by Turkey or by the United States. I feel they are working on a cover-up story as we speak. But because he had no advisers, he made these decisions. And he is not somebody who is knowledgeable about the world. He does not know about foreign policy as much, and he calculated wrongly. And he is now in very awkward, embarrassing positions, and for that, he will be weaker than ever. And most likely, he will be compelled to bring in other princes, not to share power but at least to be around him when he contemplates making decisions.

SHARMINI PERIES: All right, As’ad. In your opinion, why is the Western media whitewashing Jamal Khashoggi in this way? Are they simply just not aware because they’re not reading Arabic, or is there something else at hand here?

AS’AD ABUKHALIL: That’s how Western media are. Whenever they choose a hero from among the natives, they want to make the natives to be in their own image. I mean, the best example would be the leader who is most beloved in the entire history of the Middle East in the 20th century by Western media and Western government. I’m talking about Anwar Sadat, the despot of Egypt from 1970 until his assassination in 1981. This guy was a notorious anti-Semite and a Nazi. He had Nazi background. And yet, all that was forgiven because he did the right thing when it comes to Israel.

This time, they had one of their own who wrote in The Washington Post, and they took that as an offense. And I also want to add, the Saudi regime is saying that this issue is used also by media and Democrats who do not like Trump as a way to embarrass him. And I think they are not farfetched on that line. I mean, it is not that the media has suddenly discovered that, lo and behold, there is a government which kills journalists. I mean, in the last few months, the Israelis have killed journalists who are wearing, literally, signs that they were press, they work for the press, and we saw no outcry.

But Jamal Khashoggi was seen as an inferior one of their own, as one of the natives who was agreeable. He never challenged their coverage of the Middle East, they liked that. They also liked that he never spoke about Palestine in the paper, never questioned assumptions about American foreign policy, and didn’t want to make it a big issue. In their conflict with the administration, was convenient. So, there is ulterior motive to what they are doing, and certainly I do not buy that the Washington Post or The New York Times, or even the U.S. Congress, suddenly have discovered to the horrors of the Saudi regime. It wasn’t about that.

SHARMINI PERIES: As’ad, what was Jamal Khashoggi’s position on Palestine? As you said, he only articulated it in Arabic, never in the English press. And we know that at this moment, there is a conflict within Saudi Arabia in terms of how the king might respond to the Palestinian question and how the current MbS is responding to it. And also, if you could also in the process highlight what this means in terms of the Saudi-Israeli-U.S. alliance that has been formed in order to manage the situation in the Middle East?

AS’AD ABUKHALIL: Well, I’ll begin with the last part of the question by saying I have no doubt that AIPAC is working very closely with the Saudi embassy in order to try to rescue the fortunes of incumbents in distress. And I’m sure AIPAC is going to clamp down in Congress to make sure that there’s not going to be legislation that would be in any way embarrassing to the Saudi royal family. I also want to say that there is no doubt that in his last year, that Jamal Khashoggi was rather duplicitous, that he spoke very different languages in Arabic and in English. He said one thing in the Washington Post, which you can’t read now, available on their website. But in Arabic, it was a different tune.

In Arabic, he spoke rather very respectfully about the royal family. He spoke about he wanted the Saudi royal family to sponsor and to lead the Arab uprising, or what he called the Arab Spring. He wanted Saudi Arabia to lead it. I mean, just imagine the repercussion of that, which is exactly what happened, which is Saudi Arabia led the counter-revolution, not the revolution of the Arab world. I also want to say that on Palestine, he was very unequivocal, very categorical. He spoke about there should be no compromise on the Palestinian question. He spoke against the deal of the century that is being prepared by this administration.

He even said, in an interview that I listened to the other day, and this is from this year itself, 2018, he said that he believes that Jerusalem and its significance to Muslims and Arabs does not in any way count less than the two holy sites of Saudi Arabia. He was against normalization with the state of Israel. But now, we realize that he was not consistent in his life about these matters. Because apparently, he knew and had an ongoing friendship with an Israeli reporter with whom he would speak. And to her, he said that he would like the Iranian regime to collapse, and that would benefit the state of Israel. So, he was a man of many sides.

And the media and Human Rights Watch and all these Western outlets are trying to paint an image of a man who was uncompromising in search of truth, justice and almost the American Way, like Superman of the old TV serials. And in Arabic, Jamal Khashoggi always had an appeal among the Muslim Brotherhood, this was his audience. His political line was very close to that of Turkey. For that, he had a very close relationship with the Turkish government. And as we read, when he went into the consulate, he gave his fiancé the phone number of the key presidential adviser to Erdogan to call him if he is missing. And not every Arab journalist can call a close adviser of Erdogan at a moment’s notice.

SHARMINI PERIES: All right, As’ad. I thank you so much for joining us and presenting and providing us the counter-narrative to what we’re hearing in the mainstream press. I’ve been speaking with As’ad AbuKhalil. He’s a professor of political science at California State University, and he’s the author of The Battle for Saudi Arabia. I thank you so much for joining us.

AS’AD ABUKHALIL: Thank you very much and have a good day.

SHARMINI PERIES: And thank you for joining us here on The Real News Network.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:40 am

seemslikeadream wrote:
I don't get this increasing assignment of 100% responsibility for the 9/11 attacks to the Saudis.
But for this thread, I just want to suggest we be wary of placing all blame for 9/11 on the Saudis.

no one here is saying that

"virtually every aspect"—these are pretty deliberate assertions:

8bitagent wrote:Yet they CANT dare day Saudi Arabia was behind 9/11? When all sorts of evidence shows Saudi Arabia financed the safe houses, credit cards, attaches and test flight runs(one I guess James Woods witnessed?)
from the 19 hijackers https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 38791.html

Even President Donnie Trump's fave news outlet Fox News did an entire documentary showing how Saudi Arabia ran virtually every damn aspect of the 9/11 attacks

8bitagent » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:58 am wrote:....as well as rooting out the Saudi elites behind 9/11

8bitagent wrote:Well it is surreal...every hour of the day in 2018, Trump and his Alex Jones/Hannity/Stone surrogates talk about the "Deep state shadow government conspiracy" and "globalists" in every other breath, and "elite pedo rings".
Shoot, two years ago Trump on the campaign trail said the neocons lied to go into Iraq and said Saudi Arabia was behind 9/11

8bitagent » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:53 am wrote:Hillary Clinton and the Clinton Foundation has taken tens of millions from the state sponsor of 9/11 (Saudi Arabia)

On the other hand, a bigger picture:

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:26 am wrote:So glad we've reached the "9/11 Perps Laughing In Public" phase, can't wait until Mossad and BND social media teams follow suit.

Belligerent Savant » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 am wrote:.

As promising as these developments may appear, I'm troubled by the emphasis on 'Saudi govt', as it seems to deflect away from US govt complicity in this. This operation was a collaborative effort.

Indeed, even my reference to 'US govt' is inaccurate; reported references to government complicity is a misdirection (unintended or deliberate).

stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:08 pm wrote: to take Graham's JFK analogy and run with it, investigating the Saudi role in 9/11 to the exclusion of ISI complicity is like investigating the Mafia role in the JFK assassination to the exclusion of CIA complicity.

stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:01 pm wrote:I'm glad that Graham is trying to keep visibility on the subject of deep state orchestration of the 9/11 attacks. But it seems to me, well, a bit limited. True, there are Saudi fingerprints all over it. But what about Pakistan? Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but I've never heard Graham mention Omar Saeed Sheikh or Mahmood Ahmed's role in the whole conspiracy. And I find the short-sightedness of this statement he made troubling:

GRAHAM: Well, what I've been thinking a lot about recently--and we're going through the period recognizing the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy--a lot of this discussion has gone back to various theories about how was Oswald able to do this. Was he helped by the mob, by the Cubans or somebody? My question is: what difference does it make? If you'd found out that, yes, there was such a conspiracy, how is that relevant to any decision that we would be making today?
In contrast, the issue of whether the 19 hijackers acted alone or whether they had a support network has enormous current consequences.
(emphasis mine)

This complete ignorance of how a deep state operates is what reeks of limited hang-out to me.

Since "Day Zero" I've expected a degree of Saudi complicity to be rolled out—much later, at the right time. This looks like the right time, but I don't look to The Independent, Slate, Solon, Newsweek etc. for reliable analyses of 9/11 related news. Some partisans—and the MSNBC MSM—are emphasizing the Saudi role because Trump is tight with them.

With this Khashoggi killing, the 28 pages and more (mostly skewed) revelations to come, the big players are at a critical juncture.

We have all the best 9/11 shit right here, RI rules the realm. We're not stenographers—we should be rigorously parsing the Newsweak stuff in the light of that archive.

Edit: These are just my personal opinions.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:42 am

Saw a mainstream news article today talking about how the *insert beyond ISIS level horror" killing of Khashoggi event is possibly putting a kink into the Trump/Bolton/Pompeo gameplan with the Saudi/Israeli plan to launch a full on war against Iran. Remember when Alex Jones in 2006 whined every week with Ron Paul how the Bush neocons were going to start a war with Iran any minute? Now AJ's favorite pal is helping to spearhead a frothing rabid dog showdown against Iran. Prettttty sure Lindsey "Hey wait maybe Saudi Arabia isn't our pal" Graham will fall in line if its believed the Iranians are perceived to be involved in some new horror incident. Geezus, is it the 1980s again? Iran and Russia are the enemy, we have another big haired actor celebrity as president, and "the economy is doing really well!"

While certain things will be "business as usual"(warmakers, oil, corporations profitting) the means and the execution and the overall package seems like it will dip way into the surreal in the coming few years.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 am

Tom Friedman wrote:I have three thoughts on the Jamal Khashoggi saga.

Can you never shut up? What does it take?

Tom Friedman wrote:But Trump might start by appointing an ambassador to Saudi Arabia. He has never had one — and it shows.

Really? Sure, why not. Let's start perfecting this tableau.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 am

More than a year ago. This remains true. Package has never been finalized and must go through Congress.

MARKAZ
The $110 billion arms deal to Saudi Arabia is fake news
Bruce Riedel
Monday, June 5, 2017

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/markaz/2 ... fake-news/

Last month, President Trump visited Saudi Arabia and his administration announced that he had concluded a $110 billion arms deal with the kingdom. Only problem is that there is no deal. It’s fake news.

Author
Bruce Riedel
Senior Fellow - Foreign Policy, Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence, Center for Middle East Policy Director - The Intelligence Project

I’ve spoken to contacts in the defense business and on the Hill, and all of them say the same thing: There is no $110 billion deal. Instead, there are a bunch of letters of interest or intent, but not contracts. Many are offers that the defense industry thinks the Saudis will be interested in someday. So far nothing has been notified to the Senate for review. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the arms sales wing of the Pentagon, calls them “intended sales.” None of the deals identified so far are new, all began in the Obama administration.

None of the deals identified so far are new, all began in the Obama administration.

An example is a proposal for sale of four frigates (called multi-mission surface combatant vessels) to the Royal Saudi navy. This proposal was first reported by the State Department in 2015. No contract has followed. The type of frigate is a derivative of a vessel that the U.S. Navy uses but the derivative doesn’t actually exist yet. Another piece is the Terminal High Altitude Air Defense system (THAAD) which was recently deployed in South Korea. The Saudis have expressed interest in the system for several years but no contracts have been finalized. Obama approved the sale in principle at a summit at Camp David in 2015. Also on the wish list are 150 Black Hawk helicopters. Again, this is old news repackaged. What the Saudis and the administration did is put together a notional package of the Saudi wish list of possible deals and portray that as a deal. Even then the numbers don’t add up. It’s fake news.

Moreover, it’s unlikely that the Saudis could pay for a $110 billion deal any longer, due to low oil prices and the two-plus years old war in Yemen. President Obama sold the kingdom $112 billion in weapons over eight years, most of which was a single, huge deal in 2012 negotiated by then-Secretary of Defense Bob Gates. To get that deal through Congressional approval, Gates also negotiated a deal with Israel to compensate the Israelis and preserve their qualitative edge over their Arab neighbors. With the fall in oil prices, the Saudis have struggled to meet their payments since.

You will know the Trump deal is real when Israel begins to ask for a package to keep the Israeli Defense Forces’ qualitative edge preserved. [This angle has always been relevant, going back to the 1980s when AIPAC lost one of its biggest campaigns ever and failed to get Congress to vote down the AWACS deal. Weapons deals with Israel followed.]

What is coming soon is a billion-dollars deal for more munitions for the war in Yemen. The Royal Saudi Air Force needs more munitions to continue the air bombardment of the Arab world’s poorest country.

Finally, just as the arms deal is not what it was advertised, so is the much-hyped united Muslim campaign against terrorism. Instead, the Gulf states have turned on one of their own. Saudi Arabia has orchestrated a campaign to isolate Qatar. This weekend Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain, and Egypt broke relations with Qatar. Saudi allies like the Maldives and Yemen jumped on the bandwagon. Saudi Arabia has closed its land border with Qatar.

This is not the first such spat but it may be the most dangerous. The Saudis and their allies are eager to punish Qatar for supporting the Muslim Brotherhood, for hosting Al-Jazeera, and keeping ties with Iran. Rather than a united front to contain Iran, the Riyadh summit’s outcome is exacerbating sectarian and political tensions in the region.
Last edited by JackRiddler on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackRiddler

Postby Karmamatterz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 am

Geezus, is it the 1980s again? Iran and Russia are the enemy, we have another big haired actor celebrity as president, and "the economy is doing really well!"

To go right along with the 1980's media messaging and indoctrination Amazon has launched it's own salvo into the mix by rebooting Tom Clancy's archetype bookish hero Jack Ryan. Where does Jack Ryan's first foray lead him? Yemen. The mild mannered John Krasinski rides a bicycle to work and drinks Starbucks. His modern day version of Jack Ryan is soft and almost cuddly as viewers will remember him from The Office.

"I can't go to Yemen," Jack tells James in the trailer. "I'm an analyst! I don't interrogate people — I write reports!" James, however, is unmoved and tells Jack to get on the plane.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/a ... ncna905381

Didn't want to derail this thread by delving too deeply into the latest mass media pop culture trends, but it shouldn't be ignored that its becoming sexy and cool for guys that ride their bike to work and are self-deprecating in their humble skills are being portrayed as heroes charging into Yemen to chase after those evil doer bad guys who at any moment might launch another 9-11 attack on the U.S.
Karmamatterz

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 am

Now THIS is the most thorough coverage I've run into regarding Khashoggi, who he was, what he may have been doing and what's going on with the Saudi regime in the last couple of years.

It makes all the difference when the researcher speaks Arabic and has been reading items by and about Khasshoggi in Arabic for 20 or 30 years. This guy is the Angry Arab blogger, the way.

Thanks for posting this. Its funny, just as I clicked on this thread title I happened to be thinking of checking out his take. Haven't visited the Angry Arab News Service blog in a couple of years, either.

There are pictures of him with weapons.

I found this by copy-pasting his name in Arabic from Wikipedia to an image search on Duckduckgo:

http://archive.is/njDKs

Google translation: "Jamal Khashoggi: nostalgia for Afghanistan"

In an area where the war of sectarian strife rises among the clergy of Islam, Khashoggi finally discovered the solution: jihad.

"The concept of jihad has been distorted so that it has been lost and it has become a strange idea, but it is a year to the Day of Judgment. It is time that we are on the threshold of the most fateful confrontation to reconsider."

When he said in an interview with him a day before the launch of his channel in Bahrain and then stopped on his willingness to host the Amir of the Organization of the Islamic State in Iraq and Shamm Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in dialogue explained the reasons of the beginning of the press and that "meeting will make us talk people." Khashoggi aspired to restore some of his old journalistic glory when he held private interviews with Osama bin Laden's founder on several occasions before the Sept. 11 attacks, which he spoke about in the same dialogue, saying he "met him more than once."

But looking for a journalist is not all about it. Part of Khashoggi's formation was in the womb of political Islam as a journalist covering the events in Afghanistan and as a member of the international organization of the Muslim Brotherhood.

As a veteran of the chemistry of the "community," he is proficient in her tricks and rhetoric: a little bit of Islam, a little liberalism and a little bit of flexibility. "Do not say jihadi but say mujahideen," this is Khashoggi's magic mix to re-establish the Islamic Jihad. It is a new, flexible "enlightened" jihad that does not practice atonement; but of course it fights Shiites.
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby Grizzly » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:05 pm

No Agenda Episode 1077 - "Bone Saw"
http://www.noagendashow.com/
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Jamal Khashoggi tortured with bone saw for 7 minutes while Saudi killer drowned out screams with music: Turkish source

Journalist Jamal Khashoggi was tortured and dismembered over seven minutes while he was still alive, according to a Turkish source who heard an audio recording of the murder.

The Washington Post columnist was abducted Oct. 2 from the consul-general’s office at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and dragged into a study next door — and a witness downstairs heard horrendous screams, reported Middle East Eye.

“The consul himself was taken out of the room,” the source told the website. “There was no attempt to interrogate him. They had come to kill him.”

The screaming stopped when Khashoggi was injected with an unknown substance.

The head of forensic evidence in the Saudi general security department, Salah Muhammad al-Tubaigy, was among a 15-man squad who arrived in Turkey earlier that day by private jet.

The source said Tubaigy started to cut up Khashoggi’s body on a table in the study while the journalist was still alive — and the killing took seven minutes.

Tubaigy put on earphones and listened to music as he dismembered Khashoggi’s body with a bone saw, and he advised other squad members to do the same.

“When I do this job, I listen to music,” Tubaigy said on the recording. “You should do [that] too.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/jamal- ... ams-music/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Khashoggi tortured with bone saw for 7 minutes while Saudi killer drowned out screams with music: Turkish source

Laura Rozen

@lrozen

Saudi intel official who reportedly may be scapegoated for Khashoggi murder previously identified as client for Elliott Broidy’s Circinus 1/

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1052537477339189249

MBS’s rampaging anger will not silence questions about Jamal Khashoggi

By David Ignatius
October 16, 2018 at 7:47 PM

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh Oct. 16 for talks about the disappearance of Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi. (The Washington Post)
Inside his royal palace in Riyadh, Mohammed bin Salman is said to have alternated between dark brooding and rampaging anger in the days after the death of Jamal Khashoggi, as Saudi Arabia’s crown prince, or MBS, as he is widely known, looked for someone to blame for what Turkish officials have said was the journalist’s grisly murder.

One possible scapegoat, according to several sources, may be Maj. Gen. Ahmed al-Assiri, the deputy chief of Saudi intelligence. Assiri “has made numerous approaches to MBS on taking actions against Khashoggi and others,” said one source who is familiar with Western intelligence reports.

The U.S. government learned last month that Assiri was planning to create a “tiger team” to conduct covert special operations, I’m told, though officials didn’t know the targets. U.S. intelligence also learned, but only after Khashoggi’s disappearance after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, that the crown prince had told his subordinates this summer that he wanted Khashoggi and other Saudi dissidents brought home.

The swirling reports and recriminations surfaced as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited the kingdom on Tuesday and urged King Salman and his son to conduct a “transparent” investigation of the disappearance of Khashoggi, a Post contributing columnist. But such efforts to seek a tidy solution will face rising skepticism in Congress, epitomized by the blast on Tuesday from Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) that “he [MBS] had this guy murdered.”

Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and adviser, urged MBS last weekend to organize an investigation that could identify the culprit responsible for Khashoggi’s death, two sources told me. The next day, after speaking with the Saudi king, the president said he thought “rogue killers” within Saudi Arabia’s government may have been responsible, seemingly telegraphing a fall-guy strategy.

Columnist David Ignatius, Jamal Khashoggi's longtime friend, and Karen Attiah, Khashoggi's editor, talk about the "kind, gentle" Post contributor, who disappeared after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. (Gillian Brockell/The Washington Post)
The emerging Saudi narrative appears to be that the palace authorized Khashoggi’s arrest and interrogation but not his murder. This version has some obvious holes: If the goal was “rendition” back to Saudi Arabia (as it is politely termed), then why interrogate him in Istanbul? And why did a forensics expert allegedly join the 15-man Saudi team photographed arriving at Istanbul airport? Finally, will such a Saudi account hold up under intense scrutiny by Congress, the media and, perhaps, U.S. courts?

The Khashoggi case isn’t the first time the palace allegedly attempted to kidnap a critic. After one prominent Saudi criticized aspects of the crown prince’s plan to privatize Saudi Aramco, the state-owned oil company, in a meeting abroad with potential foreign investors, a Saudi plane arrived along with an official who allegedly tried to arrest the man as a terrorist. He escaped and is now living outside the kingdom. But the message was clear: Challenging MBS was risky.

The darkening mood inside MBS’s palace in recent months shows a crown prince facing economic pressure and tightening his circle of advisers.

MBS’s key counselor is said to have been Saud al-Qahtani, the crown prince’s media adviser but also increasingly his consigliere in the kingdom’s battles with foreign adversaries such as Qatar and Iran as well as domestic critics. Like his boss, Qahtani is considered young and headstrong.

Qahtani organized interviews with MBS for visiting foreign journalists. But sources say he was quietly assuming a larger role overseeing strategy in social media, which the Saudis (like the Russians) view as a domain of war. Qahtani’s headquarters was a special “Center for Studies and Media Affairs,” operating inside the royal court without supervision from other ministries. It became, in part, a domestic snooping operation, sources say.

Qahtani is a demon in Saudi Twitter debates, with 1.3 million followers and barbed messages to dissenters. He has created a hashtag with the Arabic term for “Black List,” and he urges Saudis to report enemies of the kingdom. His opponents in Qatar refer to Qahtani’s followers (perhaps including automated bots) as an “Army of Flies.” U.S. officials believe that, in addition to seeking dominance in social media, Qahtani and other advisers have helped MBS use the latest and most aggressive hacking techniques against adversaries.

MBS’s tight inner circle has helped him push modernization efforts, such as reducing the power of the religious police, allowing women to drive and opening movie theaters and other public entertainment. But his team of palace advisers has often amplified, rather than challenged, the crown prince’s worst impulses.

A video obtained by The Washington Post purports to show events in Istanbul on the day Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi disappeared. (The Washington Post)
This breakdown was evident immediately after Khashoggi’s disappearance, when official Saudi statements were all happy talk. Behind the scenes, says one knowledgeable source, “MBS went into a funk for several days after learning of Khashoggi’s death before re-emerging on a rampage of anger around what happened and trying to figure out a response.”

Adding to MBS’s anxiety in the weeks before Khashoggi’s disappearance was the erosion of his big plans to boost the Saudi economy. In August, the kingdom delayed indefinitely its push to privatize Saudi Aramco, which MBS had hoped would raise more than $100 billion. That same month, plans for a big investment in the automaker Tesla cratered. An investment deal with the Japanese company Softbank also hit a snag.

Surrounded by yes-men who saw suppressing dissent as part of a media war, and rattled by the reversal of his dreams for economic reform, MBS moved toward the fateful moment when Khashoggi entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. When the brave journalist opened the door, he began a catastrophic process that has now put MBS’s own future in question. Putting a lid on a murder investigation won’t be easy, even for the brashly confident crown prince.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true

Wendy Siegelman

Wendy Siegelman Retweeted Hunter Walker
"...as Salman launched his charm offensive, Saudi Arabia carried out a brutal anti-corruption drive that saw scores of business leaders jailed, arrested journalists, and led a military campaign in Yemen that has led to widespread civilian deaths."Wendy Siegelman added,
Hunter Walker

Jared Kushner has had phone conversations with the Saudi Crown Prince about Jamal Khashoggi. He's working with Mike Pompeo and John Bolton on the White House response. https://www.yahoo.com/news/jared-kushne ... 16674.html

Reminder: Cambridge Analytica parent SCL was hired to help Saudi Arabia with their reform initiativeWendy Siegelman added,
Wendy Siegelman

@WendySiegelman
Cambridge Analytica’s Parent Company SCL Group Helped Shape Saudi Arabia’s Reform Movement, by @dannyhakim https://nyti.ms/2H4gTTO
https://twitter.com/WendySiegelman/stat ... 1156799494

Turkey Details Alleged Killing of Saudi Journalist

President Trump warns against finding Riyadh ‘guilty until proven innocent’ in the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi

Summer Said Updated Oct. 16, 2018 11:20 p.m. ET
ISTANBUL—Saudi operatives beat, drugged, killed and dismembered a dissident Saudi journalist in the presence of the kingdom’s top diplomat in Istanbul, Turkish officials said Tuesday, as Washington urged Riyadh to provide answers.

President Trump cautioned that Saudi Arabia should be considered innocent until proven guilty. His secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, on a visit to the kingdom, said Saudi leaders had “strongly denied” involvement and were conducting “a serious and credible investigation.”

The disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi, a former royal insider, has strained U.S.-Saudi ties and sparked international outrage. He was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul two weeks ago. Saudi Arabia has denied any role in his disappearance.

Mr. Trump has put Saudi Arabia and its crown prince at the center of a Middle East policy aimed at challenging Iran, Riyadh’s main rival in the region, brokering an end to the Palestinian-Israeli crisis and countering extremism. Mr. Trump chose Saudi Arabia as the site of his first overseas presidential trip. The U.S. leader has emphasized the importance for U.S. jobs of the Saudi’s purchasing of billions of dollars of U.S. military hardware.

In an interview with the Associated Press Tuesday, Mr. Trump compared the allegations that Saudi agents had killed Mr. Khashoggi to the accusations of sexual misconduct against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who was sworn in last week after a bruising confirmation process. “Here we go again with, you know, you’re guilty until proven innocent,” Mr. Trump said. “We just went through that with Justice Kavanaugh and he was innocent all the way as far as I’m concerned.”

Turkish officials said they shared evidence in recent days, including the details of an audio recording, with both the U.S. and Saudi Arabia to support their conclusion that Mr. Khashoggi was killed at the hand of Saudi operatives. It wasn’t clear how Turkish officials had an audio recording.

The recording indicates how Mr. Khashoggi was killed in the office of the Saudi consul general, Mohammad al-Otaibi, minutes after he walked into the consulate building on Oct. 2, said people familiar with the matter. Mr. Khashoggi wasn’t interrogated, the people said. Instead, he was beaten up, drugged and killed by Saudi operatives who had flown in from Riyadh earlier in the day, the people said.

Then, on the recording, a voice can be heard inviting the consul to leave the room, the people familiar with the matter said. The voice of a man Turkish authorities identified as Saudi forensic specialist Salah Al Tabiqi can be heard recommending other people present to listen to some music while he dismembered Mr. Khashoggi’s body, the people said.

Turkish investigators spent nine hours searching for clues inside the Saudi diplomatic premises on Monday and early Tuesday. Complicating the search, said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, was the fact that some rooms had been freshly repainted.

Tensions between Turkey and Saudi Arabia surfaced on Tuesday when Turkish investigators then sought to search the nearby consul’s residence. In an unexpected development, Mr. Otaibi, the consul general, left Turkey for the Saudi capital, Riyadh, on Tuesday afternoon and Saudi authorities informed Ankara that the residence was off limits, according to the people familiar with the matter.

The latest Turkish allegations could complicate the Saudi government’s efforts to provide an explanation of what happened to Mr. Khashoggi while distancing itself from any direct responsibility.

On Monday, Saudi authorities had weighed whether to declare that unauthorized operatives killed Mr. Khashoggi during a botched interrogation, according to people familiar with the situation. It wasn’t known whether they were still considering that.

Turkish officials have said they suspect the Saudi crown prince had a hand in Mr. Khashoggi’s disappearance because some of the operatives who took part in the alleged killing appear to have ties to him. Turkish investigators have focused on a pair of Gulfstream jets that landed in Istanbul on Oct. 2 and flew back to Riyadh on Oct. 3 after layovers. The planes belong to a company, Sky Prime Aviation Services Ltd., that was seized by the Saudi government after its anticorruption drive last year.

Among those on board, according to Turkish officials, were Waleed Abdullah Alshehri and Thaar Ghaleb al Harbi. Saudi press reports from 2016 identified Mr. Alshehri as a Saudi Air Force major; Turkish officials refer to him as a forensic expert. Mr. Harbi was promoted to lieutenant by the crown prince for his role in defending the royal family’s Al Salam palace in Jeddah during an attack in October 2017, according to Saudi press reports.

Mr. Pompeo on Tuesday held what U.S. officials described as candid and direct meetings with Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Foreign Minister Adel al Jubeir, urging them to resolve questions over the case.

Earlier Tuesday, Mr. Trump said he spoke with Prince Mohammed on the phone and the Saudi crown prince denied knowledge of what happened to Mr. Khashoggi.

“Just spoke with the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia who totally denied any knowledge of what took place in their Turkish Consulate,” Mr. Trump said on Twitter. “He was with secretary of State Mike Pompeo during the call, and told me that he has already started, and will rapidly expand, a full and complete investigation into this matter.” The president added: “Answers will be forthcoming shortly.”

The tweet came a day after Mr. Trump said he spoke with King Salman, who similarly denied any knowledge of what happened to Mr. Khashoggi. After speaking to King Salman, Mr. Trump told reporters that “rogue killers” may have been involved in Mr. Khashoggi’s disappearance.

In an interview that aired Tuesday night on Fox Business Network, Mr. Trump reiterated that the U.S. was evaluating the situation. He called Saudi Arabia “our ally against Iran” and warned it could turn to China or Russia for military equipment if the U.S. supply route is cut off.

“So we’re not really hurting them, we’re hurting ourselves,” Mr. Trump said. “So we want to be smart. I don’t want to give up a $110 billion order or whatever it is…You’re talking about jobs. What I’m doing is, we’ve created an incredible economy. I want Boeing and I want Lockheed and I want Raytheon to take those orders and to hire lots of people to make that incredible equipment.”

The president’s latest comments appeared to ease pressure on the kingdom after Mr. Trump repeatedly threatened Saudi Arabia with reprisals over the suspected killing of the journalist, calling it “really terrible” and “disgusting.”

Mr. Trump’s comments came amid calls from prominent U.S. lawmakers, including Sen. Lindsey Graham (R., S.C.), to sanction Saudi Arabia over the suspected killing of Mr. Khashoggi.

“Nothing happens in Saudi Arabia without MBS knowing about it,” said Mr. Graham, using shorthand for Prince Mohammed. “The MBS figure to me is toxic. He can never be a world leader on the world stage…This guy has got to go.”

A deal whereby Saudi authorities pinpoint the blame on rogue killers could help limit the diplomatic damage that has complicated efforts under Prince Mohammed, the kingdom’s effective leader, to overhaul the kingdom’s economy and attract investment to the country. Top Western executives pulled out of Saudi Arabia’s premier business conference this week.

In Turkey, President Erdogan said Tuesday his objective was to “reach conclusive results” as to what happened to the Saudi journalist.

Under mounting international pressure, the kingdom launched its own probe to determine who is responsible for Mr. Khashoggi’s disappearance and has allowed Turkish investigators to inspect its consulate in Istanbul.

Mr. Khashoggi’s children in a statement late Monday called for an “impartial international commission to inquire into the circumstances of his death.”

Three of Mr. Khashoggi’s four adult children are U.S. citizens. The fourth, a son called Salah, is a Saudi citizen and lives in the kingdom.

After Mr. Khashoggi moved to the U.S. to live in self-imposed exile last year, the Saudi government barred Salah from leaving the country, according to people familiar with the matter. Before his disappearance, Mr. Khashoggi lobbied to have the ban lifted, to no avail.

The Saudi government didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Mr. Khashoggi was an insider who maintained close ties to some of the kingdom’s most powerful princes even as he became known for his criticism of the Saudi government and sympathy for democratic movements.

The rise of Prince Mohammed, and the crackdown he oversaw against dissidents ranging from clerics to women’s rights activists, pitted Mr. Khashoggi against a ruling establishment that had long tolerated him, and ultimately he decided to leave for the U.S. last year.

— Margherita Stancati, Rebecca Ballhaus and Alex Leary contributed to this article.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pompeo-see ... 1539690270
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:15 pm

emptywheel
2h2 hours ago

emptywheel Retweeted Helena Cobban
Really interesting thread abt why MBS would take such extreme measures w/Khashoggi.

Helena Cobban
‏@helenacobban
2h2 hours ago

[Thread] 1. I've been trying to figure out the source of MBS's extreme hatred/fear of #JamalKhashoggi. For starters, it's key to note that though JK had a long track record in journalism, he was also a political actor. >

2. He's had close ties to Prince Turki al-Faisal (fmr longtime head of Saudi intelligence, more recently ambo in London & DC) & to other non-MBS royals. It's also no secret he recently had good relations with the Muslim Brotherhood, >

3. a historic, transnational organiz'n containing a number of trends. E.g. the MB branches in Egypt & Palestine participated in elections & committed to an electoral process (& both suffered much for that), while that in Syria has been much more committed to violence. >

4. In the past 18 months or so, in addition to picking up the interesting gig as a contributor to @WaPo's Global Opinions, he has reportedly been planning for creation of a pro-democracy movement focused on Saudi Arabia. >

5. So it seems this, based on the broad reach of JK's connections both inside & outside the eponymous "Saudi" royal family, aroused MBS's v. intense ire. Easy to see how MBS wd be spooked to learn of opposition to his already-grisly & maniacal dictatorship from his cousins, >

6. But the combination of intra-family oppositn with extra-family opposition from e.g. pro-MB networks was likely seen by MBS & his enforcers as so incendiary as to justify "extreme measures" such as reportedly were taken. I knew JK just a little.>

7. Back in '05, I was running an international workshop on nonviolence at/with the UN University's (now-defunct) campus in Amman, Jordan. It was a weird experience. But w/ encouragement from the people running that UNU program I went to see then-ambo Turki in his DC office >

8. to see if we could get his approval for some Saudi citizens to attend. (Yes, it was a weird experience, as many UN operations are.) Turki called in his "advisor", JK, to attend that meeting & to my surprise said JK himself wd take part in the 2-day workshop. Not exactly >

9. the kind of "young citizen activist" we'd had in mind, but I'd done enough "Track 2" diplomatic things by then that I thought getting a foot in the KSA door seemed a good thing. JK did come to the workshop & took part in all the exercises etc with good humor. >

10. So of course it's been v. shocking to learn via the Turkish-govt leaks about the unspeakable things MBS's goons reportedly did to Jamal in the consulate. RIP; and my deep condolences to his fiancee & the rest of his family. But again-- WHY this extreme brutality, which now >

11. looks very counter-productive indeed & also (since we have to assume that MBS is not entirely stupid) must have been viewed as very risky indeed when he & his goons were planning it. So why? I think the threat they saw Jamal as posing was not only from the "Al-Saud" cousins >

12. But also from his ties to MB-linked circles given that in many contexts the MB has proven to be effective in building grassroots civilian movements that offer a *modern* form of Islam to Muslims, thus competing directly with his claims to be a "modernizer". Also, the MB >

13. has kept to the very traditional Muslim opposition to any form of (inheritable) monarchy; does not believe in either kings or princes, and promotes traditional Islamic virtues of egalitarianism. I don't know what support the MB has among Saudi citizens. >

14. Maybe it's like the Falun Gong in China: An autocratic government will always fear self-organizing citizen movements. But I do know that very many Saudi citizens are outraged by the profligacy of the royals, the double standards they enjoy; and many Saudis are also >

15. deeply offended by the ease with which so many royals flout the basic tenets of their faith and flaunt their wealth domestically & in international settings. So the constituency for an MB-type movement is almost certainly there, both among Saudi citizens & >

16. among many of their non-Saudi hired hands. If someone cd create an alliance between non-MBS royals v angry at his usurpation of their powers, privileges, boondoggles, & bottom lines and a potential popular movement inside "Saudi" Arabia (aka the Arabian Peninsula), >

17. then that wd be explosively threatening to MBS & justify him & his goons taking great risks. I should note tho tht ever since King Faisal was killed by a nephew (w CIA ties??) in 1975, no Saudi king has *ever* taken on the challenge of governing with any seriousness & hence >

18. for > 40 years, *very* few Saudi princes have received any serious training in the arts of governance or anything else socially useful except libertinism and idleness. So the "bench" of princes capable of envisaging a persuasive alternative to MBS or planning >

19. its implementation is thin, indeed. What does all this mean? Well, clearly, there is a crisis in Saudi-US relations (based as they are primarily on the Saudis giving massive dollops of $$ to US businesses/consultancies/etc.) & this is almost certainly spooking Saudi royals >

20. & the few other members of the country's elite who are worth counting as players, very deeply indeed. MBS has worked hard & fast over the almost 4 years since his Dad became "King", to cut off access to levers of power from being held by anyone else except himself >

21. & that almost certainly also includes his deeply geriatric Dad. But might Dad be able to disavow this son and switch the designation of "Crown Prince" elsewhere? In a crisis like this, he loyalties of the heads of the ctry's various security orgs are crucial. >

22. In this sense, the atmosphere inside Riyadh today is almost certainly Shakespearean: Julius Caesar; Macbeth; Richard II... I wish I had time to write more about this. But stay tuned for lots more news coming out of Riyadh in the coming days & weeks.
https://twitter.com/helenacobban/status ... 2922134528
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Excellent coverage today, if pessimistic: This move is going to work, the first reporter (from Al-Jazeera) says. It's getting more attention than the Saudi regime wanted, but they have sent the message they wanted (to their own opponents) and will get away with it. So he says. Meanwhile, the women who won the "right to drive" are now imprisoned or in exile. It was all cosmetics for the Western press.

Jamal Elshayyal: Response to Khashoggi’s Death Will Determine Future of Saudi Arabia & Middle East

STORY OCTOBER 17, 2018

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/10/17 ... ggis_death

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: More details have emerged about the disappearance and probable murder of Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, who has not been seen since he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2nd. The Middle East Eye is reporting Khashoggi was killed soon after he entered the consulate. The Turkish government reportedly has audio recordings showing that he was dragged screaming from the consul general’s office, forced onto a table in a neighboring room and injected with an unknown substance. Khashoggi was reportedly then dismembered by a Saudi forensic doctor and autopsy expert, who allegedly listened to music on headphones as he used a bone saw to cut a still-breathing Khashoggi into pieces. It reportedly took Khashoggi seven minutes to die.

Meanwhile, more information has come to light about the Saudis suspected of being involved in his killing. According to Turkish officials, 15 Saudis flew into Istanbul shortly before Khashoggi entered the consulate. They then left the country just hours later. The New York Times reports four of the Saudi men are linked to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s security detail. One of the men, Maher Abdulaziz Mutreb, has traveled frequently with the crown prince, including on his recent trip to the United States. According to The Washington Post, several other of the Saudi suspects have ties to the Saudi security services.

AMY GOODMAN: The reporting directly contradicts President Trump’s claim that, quote, “rogue elements” might be to blame for The Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance. On Tuesday, Trump refused to criticize Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi’s disappearance and probable murder. He told the Associated Press, “Here we go again with, you know, you’re guilty until proven innocent. I don’t like that. We just went through that with Justice Kavanaugh. And he was innocent all the way as far as I’m concerned.”

Trump’s comment came as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo traveled to Saudi Arabia Tuesday to meet with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. He said the Saudi leadership strongly denies any knowledge of what took place in their consulate in Istanbul.

SECRETARY OF STATE MIKE POMPEO: They told me they were going to conduct a thorough, complete, transparent investigation. They made a commitment to, to hold anyone connected to any wrongdoing that may be found accountable for that, whether they are a senior officer or official. They promised accountability.

AMY GOODMAN: Pompeo met with both the Saudi king and the crown prince. He then traveled to Turkey to meet with the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Well, we go now to Turkey, to Istanbul, just outside the Saudi Consulate, where we’re joined by Jamal Elshayyal. He’s an international award-winning senior correspondent for Al Jazeera. He has been outside that consulate for days.

For people who are not familiar with this story, since you have been reporting on this now since almost the beginning—it was October 2nd that Jamal Khashoggi walked into that consulate, where you are standing now, and has not been seen again—tell us what you know at this point, right through to yesterday, when you were snapping photographs of a cleaning crew going in with bleach before the Turkish authorities went in to investigate.

JAMAL ELSHAYYAL: Well, Amy, it has been a very bizarre, but also obviously sobering, story to cover. I mean, you’re talking about a journalist who entered a consulate in order to process some paperwork to get married, essentially, to start a new chapter in his life, but never to come out again. Initially, Jamal Khashoggi, as you mentioned, entered on the Tuesday over two weeks ago for a couple of hours. His fiancée waited for him outside. He never came out. She then asked for the security guards at the door of the consulate to inform her where he was, to which they responded saying that he wasn’t actually inside and that, they claimed, he left 20 minutes after entering—obviously, a claim that was never substantiated by any sort of evidence.

The first bizarre thing to come out from the Saudi authorities was they claimed that this seven-story building behind me, that has dozens and dozens of CCTV cameras installed around it, wasn’t recording on that day, which cast a lot of doubt as to what exactly happened. A few days after Jamal Khashoggi went missing, the Turkish authorities released their CCTV footage of their cameras that are positioned outside the door of the consulate, which clearly established that Jamal had entered, putting the onus of responsibility on the Saudis to then prove that he exited. They failed to do that.

After that, we started getting some leaks and information from sources close to the investigation who were speaking on condition of anonymity, and they established to us on Saturday evening—so roughly about four days after Jamal entered—that he had indeed been killed, assassinated, murdered inside. They then released footage of a 15-man hit squad that, as you mentioned, flew in earlier on that day. And it included members of Saudi—the security personnel of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, members of the special forces of Saudi Arabia. And most importantly, it included one of the kingdom’s top forensic experts, a man who prides himself in his career as being one of the top autopsy experts in Saudi Arabia. They flew in that morning, as you mentioned, on several flights, and they all flew out, bar two of them, on private jets that are linked to or are owned by a company linked to—also directly to Mohammed bin Salman and the Saudi Royal Court.

Since then, the evidence that the Turkish authorities have has been shared with the U.S. intelligence community. It seems that the Turks, diplomatically speaking, have been trying to walk a tightrope. They were looking to get some sort of support from their allies in NATO, as well as the Europeans. There was, interestingly enough, comments that were made by the U.S. intelligence community to several American outlets where they described the evidence that they were shown by the Turks as truly shocking. Now, for them to describe it—considering that they are the intelligence community that were behind things like Abu Ghraib prison, as well as Guantánamo and other hugely distasteful, let’s say, or outrageous incidents, it goes a long way to show just how gruesome the details of those recordings are, if the U.S. intelligence community is saying it was shocked by what they saw.

The problem about this case, or maybe what is making it so significant, is it’s not just a case about a journalist who entered and was murdered. There is so much more at stake—geopolitics, diplomacy, the future of Saudi Arabia and, dare I say, the future of the Middle East—because, up until now, people were looking at Saudi Arabia’s future under Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. He, through his very aggressive foreign policy in Yemen, in Egypt, in Libya and so forth, allied with the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, Mohammed bin Zayed, have been dictating how things are moving in the Arab world.

If indeed the Turks are able to prove beyond doubt that he is the one, as they say, who ordered the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi, if indeed the international community is to step up and maybe respond as it should to a crime of this magnitude, one that essentially ignores the Vienna Convention in terms of what diplomatic missions should be used for, one that targets journalists, one that essentially demembered—dismembered, rather, somebody while he was allegedly still alive, then that could very well see at least Mohammed bin Salman’s influence not necessarily vanish, but at least clipped to an extent.

And I think, in that, considering the huge amount of investments that the Trump administration has made in Mohammed bin Salman and the links it has, that is what’s maybe making things take a lot longer than they should in terms of wrapping up this criminal investigation and establishing what sorts of retribution should be placed on the criminals behind it.

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: Well, Jamal, I wanted to ask you specifically about the Turkish government’s release of information. It’s been coming out sort of in drips and drabs over the period since Khashoggi entered the consulate. I wanted to ask you, first, why they took so long to actually go in and investigate, since they knew early on, apparently, that a crime had been committed. And what do you think is behind the partial releases of information over this period of time?

JAMAL ELSHAYYAL: I think Turkey’s foreign policy establishment is under a lot of stress. It has been before this. When you look at the war in Syria, when you look at the GCC crisis, when you look at the Kurdish separatists and many, many other issues—the EU Essay and all of that—I think they are not happy that this has landed on them. And they’ve suddenly found that they are currently now being dragged into a confrontation with Saudi Arabia, which although on paper is an ally, they don’t really see eye to eye on several issues.

In the beginning, it seemed that the Turks were trying to exhaust diplomatic corridors between them and—or, avenues, rather, between them and Riyadh, by trying to maybe get the Saudis to own up to what happened, and therefore it wouldn’t be seen so confrontational. When that didn’t happen, they started leaking bits here and there to try and maybe garner support from other countries, like the United States, like Britain and Germany and France, in order so that it doesn’t be—so it’s not framed as a Turkish-Saudi spat, but more so an international outrage at what Saudi Arabia have done.

More interestingly, I think, the latest two leaks that we were able to get, or the latest two bits of information we were able to get from the Attorney General’s Office the night that his team entered the consulate behind me, and then, later, the details or the gruesome details of how Jamal Khashoggi was indeed murdered—I think the timing is very important. They came right after Trump initially tried to float the idea that this was rogue elements that were behind this. And therefore I think the Turks wanted to dismiss that completely by showing, “Well, how can it be a rogue element if indeed it took place in a consulate—that is, a diplomatic mission—under the direct order or control of the government?”

And secondly, the details of this taking place was done when Trump tried to maybe float the idea that this was somehow a rogue operation, an interrogation that went wrong. The fact that you would send your head autopsy expert, the fact that Jamal Khashoggi was barely questioned, if at all questioned, and was in fact descended upon by these special forces officers and beaten and killed in the way he was would cast a lot of doubt on the idea that it was simply an attempt to interrogate or question him and that people didn’t really listen to the orders that they were given.

Obviously, the Turks themselves have a lot at stake here, not just in the sense that they don’t want to cause this rift or fallout. The Turkish economy has been suffering quite a bit recently. They’ve been trying to maybe make amends of Ankara’s relationship with Washington, and we’ve seen that in recent days with the comments coming out of the Trump administration following the release of the pastor. So, like I say, this is a case that’s got to do much more with geopolitics and the interests of power groups than it is about, unfortunately, just the case of freedom of expression and a journalist who has been assassinated.

AMY GOODMAN: You are friends with Jamal Khashoggi’s brother. Is that right? You just saw him? Can you talk about how his family is responding right now, what they’re demanding? You have President Trump, it seems, even before the Saudi regime has publicly floated that there were rogue elements who did this, though they did this—it hasn’t been explained how they did this in the Saudi Consulate or the Saudi consul general’s residence—you have Trump himself saying this was rogue elements possibly.

And you have Pompeo, who’s now gone to Turkey, where you are, but going to Saudi Arabia yesterday. Many questioned: Why wouldn’t they be calling in the Saudi ambassador in Washington? Why would he be going directly to Riyadh and taking smiling pictures with both the king as well as the crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman? How is the family responding to all of this? And explain who—just who Jamal Khashoggi is and was. This is not a dissident within the Saudi regime.

JAMAL ELSHAYYAL: Let me just correct you there, Amy. I am not friends with his brother. Jamal Khashoggi—may he rest in peace—was very good friends with my brother. I had met Jamal on several occasions as a journalist in different conferences and conventions and symposiums, but I do not know Jamal Khashoggi’s brother. It is my brother who was very good friends with Jamal, and they worked together extensively, and I had met Jamal, as I mentioned, on different occasions.

I am aware that one of Jamal’s sons is currently actually in the United States. I’m also aware that one of his other sons has been under, essentially, house arrest in Saudi Arabia for many months and that the Saudi authorities put a travel ban on him in a way to try and force Jamal to come back. It does seem that there is a lot of pressure that has been put on his family. One of his sons in the United States recently created a Twitter account, which he released through it a statement where he’s demanding full transparency as to what happened to his father.

You can only imagine, obviously, in a situation like this, what kind of toll it could take. I mean, not only do you suffer the loss, but you’re suffering the everyday agony of not knowing or not having closure, not being able to bury, not being able to pay respects or to pray, from a religious perspective, and to ensure that that person is resting in peace. So, obviously, that would have a lot of stress. And it goes to show, and it speaks volumes, that the Saudi authorities would maintain a travel ban on his son. It speaks volumes that one of his other children is too scared to go back home or to travel and is in the United States.

And that would give you an idea of the contempt, maybe, that some believe the Saudi authorities have to anybody who is—as you mentioned, Jamal wasn’t an opposition figure. He wasn’t somebody who was calling for the downfall of the monarchy. He never once spoke of regime change. All of his writings were about reform. In fact, he was somebody who was very close to the Royal Court. He worked very closely with the former Saudi ambassador to the United States, previously the former ambassador to London and previously one of the head of intelligence for the kingdom.

He was just an independent mind, so he had an idea on what he saw with the aggressive rise of Mohammed bin Salman, the aggressive policies of Mohammed bin Salman, and the apparent hypocrisy of the international community to buy into this concept that Mohammed bin Salman was a reformer, when, in fact, female activists who had been calling for equality were being arrested whilst the world was applauding him for somehow allowing women to drive as being some sort of emancipation of women, as some of the U.S. media were calling it. It was those things that maybe put him on the radar.

And it seems that going after him shows that the Saudi regime and the Saudi current system under the rulership of Mohammed bin Salman is not even willing to have critical voices or even independent voices from within, let alone opposition voices. So, if you are to consider that there are some genuine opposition activists that are in the United Kingdom, in the United States, in Australia and other countries, imagine what kind of fate could befall them.

And the fact that, as you mentioned, you have these pictures of Mike Pompeo smiling and laughing with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, knowing full well that the U.S. intelligence community is very much aware of the details that the Turkish intelligence agencies have—and I can—I know this based on my sources, that they did share the information with them, making it very clear the link between the crown prince and what happened. So, for the secretary of state to then go and do that, obviously, will not send confidence to the pro-democracy movements or the independent journalists or the women activists in the kingdom or in the region.

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: Well, Jamal, one of the things that you—you’ve raised the issue of the very good press that Mohammed bin Salman has gotten now for months in the—especially in the American media, and you’ve raised the issue that part of that has been, conceivably, the closer relationship that has developed between Saudi Arabia under the crown prince and Israel. Could you talk about that and the information that you’ve received previously about that?

JAMAL ELSHAYYAL: Well, I mean, it’s no secret that for several years there has been an attempt to normalize a relationship between Saudi Arabia and Israel. Mohammed bin Salman belongs to a political school of thought that is juxtaposed to that which erupted in 2011 calling for freedom and democracy in the Arab world, which was then called the Arab Spring. It was more of, I would say, a protest movement, an intifada. It never really blossomed for those who were looking for some sort of freedom.

And in that school of thought, it is one that is allied with ensuring anything must be done to maintain a status quo, a status quo which is that it is the few that rule the many, it is the wealth of the many that is in the pockets of the few, and it is in the interest of “stability” that you have to ensure that these absolute monarchies or the autocratic military regimes, like in Egypt or Syria and so forth, remain.

It would seem, from political scientists and commentators, that Israel’s existence as a superpower within that region—so, in order to maintain its upper-hand existence, it requires that those dictatorships or those absolute monarchies are also there, because what we saw, for example—and I covered Cairo—from January 26th, 2011, I was on the ground in Egypt, up until the end of that uprising, and then I covered in Libya and Yemen and Syria. And I was on the ground in all of these countries. And I can tell you, whenever there were these main protests, particularly on the Fridays, because that was the weekend, you would see hand in hand with the flag of that country—so with the Egyptian flag, you would see a Palestinian flag, as well. And you would see that in Benghazi. You would see that in Tripoli. And you would see that in Sana’a and in Aden and other places around.

And it became very apparent that the Arab people believe that the reason why Palestinian land continues to be occupied is because the dictatorships that exist are more concerned with putting their efforts in quashing dissent and ensuring that they continue to rule than they are to liberate those lands. And maybe that would explain why Mohammed bin Salman is seen to cozy up a lot more to Israel than he is to the pro-democratic movements in the Arab world. We’ve already seen, for example, over the past year and a bit, Saudi airspace being opened up to flights to Israel, something that had never been done before. We’ve seen Saudi officials meeting with Israeli officials in different countries. There were even reports that there were senior Saudi officials who flew to Israel and met with officials there.

But, I mean, you can divide it very simply as those camps that are looking for freedom and democracy, on the one hand—who may not necessarily have an issue with Israel as Israel, but they have an issue with occupation, they have an issue with inequality, they have an issue with lack of freedom—and you have another camp which wants to maintain that status quo, and therefore anybody who even rocks the boat, be it a journalist, be it an activist, be it a reformer, be it an independent voice like Jamal Khashoggi, is suddenly seen as an existential threat. And, unfortunately, without the checks and balances of international law, without any form of retribution, then they are given a green light to do what they wish, when they wish, to whomsoever they wish.

AMY GOODMAN: Jamal, just before you go, I wanted to go back to the scene where you’re at right now, standing just outside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul where Jamal Khashoggi was just seen October 2nd—last seen. Just before Turkish investigators were allowed into Saudi Arabia’s Consulate yesterday to carry out an inspection and search for evidence in the disappearance of Khashoggi, cameras captured a team—and you tweeted out photos of this—armed with mops, trash bags, bleach, entering the building. You wrote in your tweet, “You couldn’t make this up!!! Literally minutes after #Saudi authorities said Turkish investigators could enter the consulate–a cleaning team arrived and entered the building!!!” As we wrap up, explain the significance of this, as President Trump says that the Saudi regime is conducting a thorough investigation.

JAMAL ELSHAYYAL: I think the way in which this operation happened, happened, and it is very much reflective of the policies we’ve seen of Mohammed bin Salman so far. It is, essentially—excuse me to put it in this way—but it’s a big two fingers up to the world: “We can do whatever we want, and nobody’s going to do anything about it.” We saw that in the war in Yemen. We see it every day when you’re bombing school buses and children and nothing happens. We saw that on the blockade on Qatar. We saw that with the abduction of a prime minister, the Lebanese prime minister, who was literally kidnapped. And nothing happened.

So, as far as the Saudis are concerned, in the beginning, they thought, “You know what? We’re going to get away with it.” When the Turks maybe put a bit of effort or pressure on them, and they said, “OK, we’ll allow the investigators to come,” before the investigators, in front of the world, they were like, “OK, we’re going to clean up what we can clean up.” I mean, obviously, in the end of the day, people will say, “Well, you know, you can’t really clean it up all. Why would you do that after so many days?” and so forth. But it’s about the message, that you can reach any opponent or critical voice in any country whenever you want, and nobody’s going to punish the regime for it, and even if they do catch the regime, they can do what they want as a result.

I mean, you would think that an active crime scene, even people walking into it—forget about cleaners–that, in itself, would be something that was prohibited. But the fact that that was allowed to happen in front of the cameras speaks more to the brazen nature, the shameless nature of the regime, which has been given a green light and enabled—not just by the Trump Administration, by the way, but by the entire free world, and for many decades, not just now. And therefore, that’s what’s happened.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, Jamal Elshayyal, we want to thank you so much for being with us, international award-winning senior correspondent for Al Jazeera, currently reporting outside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. Last year, Jamal wrote a piece for the Middle East Eye headlined “The rise of Mohammed bin Salman: Alarm bells should be ringing.”

When we come back, we continue with the latest on Khashoggi’s disappearance and probable murder with Sarah Aziza, an investigative reporter who spent the summer in Saudi Arabia. Stay with us.

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/10/17 ... ent_before

A History of Crushing Dissent: Before Khashoggi, Saudis Targeted Feminists Demanding Right to Drive

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: We continue our discussion on Jamal Khashoggi as gruesome new details emerge in the disappearance and probable death of the Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist. He was reportedly still alive when his body was dismembered inside the consulate in Istanbul more than two weeks ago. A Turkish source says it took him seven minutes to die. The New York Times reports four of the 15 Saudi men implicated in the killing are directly linked to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s security detail.

AMY GOODMAN: For more, we’re joined here in New York by Sarah Aziza, investigative reporter who’s been reporting from Saudi Arabia with the Pulitzer Center for Crisis Reporting, her latest piece for The Intercept headlined “Jamal Khashoggi Wasn’t the First—Saudi Arabia Has Been Going After Dissidents Abroad for Decades.”

It’s great to have you with us, Sarah.

SARAH AZIZA: Thank you for having me.

AMY GOODMAN: We were just speaking with Jamal Elshayyal. If you can add to what he was saying, what you think it’s important for people to understand at this point? Many wondering why President Trump is doing PR work for the Saudi regime, even before they say publicly—he says maybe it’s “rogue elements,” when we’re talking about an official government building in Saudi Arabia—I mean, in Turkey, the Saudi Consulate, Khashoggi disappearing there October 2nd, with his fiancée standing outside for hours waiting for him to come out, and he never did. First, Saudi Arabia said he did walk out, and now it’s been two weeks, and they’ve had to change their story.

SARAH AZIZA: Yeah, absolutely. Well, I think, in many ways, while this story is incredibly shocking in its details, it’s really just a difference in degree rather than kind, as far as what we’ve seen Saudi Arabia capable of doing over the years, and particularly under this crown prince. So, as the reporter pointed out, many activists and journalists have found themselves silenced in one way or another or placed under pressure even while abroad. And the latest developments with Khashoggi’s case have only further reinforced the feeling that many activists and writers and students and any everyday Saudi who may be abroad feels. They’re never quite beyond the reach of the Saudi government. And as your previous guest just mentioned, Jamal was not even a dissident. He was very clear on that while he was alive. He was a reformer. For a long time, he was a loyalist. And it was only in very recent—

AMY GOODMAN: And got criticized by many dissidents.

SARAH AZIZA: Yeah. Yeah, exactly, for not going far enough. He wanted to even believe that Mohammed bin Salman could deliver on some of his promises early on, but it was only when he saw the crown prince taking actions that directly contradicted all the promises of reform and liberalization that he felt the need to step out. So, yeah, we’ve seen all of this before, in a sense.

I’ve spoken to many Saudis who have spent years abroad, who, maybe like Jamal Khashoggi, put themselves in self-imposed exile because they felt it was no longer safe for them to be speaking out or writing freely within the kingdom. But then, as some of Jamal Khashoggi’s own family experienced, some of their family might have been placed under house arrest, under travel bans, threatened or harassed by the government. So, none of this—in many ways, this is not a departure for Saudi Arabia.

And in the same way—you mentioned Trump’s response—unfortunately, we’ve seen him very, very willing to be flexible on the truth, to change his story, to really not honestly be apparently looking for the truth, but looking for a story that fits as a justification for what he wants to do.

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: Well, there’s been a lot of attention, obviously, in the world press to the right of women to be able to drive in Saudi Arabia under the Crown Prince bin Salman. But what is the actual situation for dissident women in Saudi Arabia today?

SARAH AZIZA: Thank you for asking about that. That’s something I think that we—those of us who were following this story this summer were really confounded at the world’s lack of response when Mohammed bin Salman made a lot of pomp and circumstance about finally giving women the right to drive. Up until this past year, women in Saudi Arabia were the only women on the planet who didn’t have that right.

So it was very symbolic, and it was a meaningful change for many women, but the world was willing to ignore the fact that at the same time Mohammed bin Salman was jailing the very women who had worked for years or decades calling for the right to drive, among other human rights and rights for women.

Loujain al-Hathloul, Aziza al-Yousef, among many others, Hatoon al-Fassi, some of the most prominent women activists—some of them had been working since the ’70s for equality—were jailed without any real public charges, or, in the case of Loujain al-Hathloul, government-propagated rumors that they were foreign agents, agents of Qatar. And—

AMY GOODMAN: And explain.

SARAH AZIZA: Yeah.

AMY GOODMAN: You wrote this brilliant piece over the summer about when the decision came down, what they had been fighting for, for years, sometimes getting behind the wheel, being arrested. When the decision came down, they got calls—like Loujain al-Hathloul—not to speak or to tweet about this.

SARAH AZIZA: Absolutely. Yeah, let’s talk about Loujain for a second. So, Loujain was a prominent women’s rights activist, and she was in Riyadh when this announcement came from Mohammed bin—or, from King Salman, but as part of Mohammed bin Salman’s grand agenda. She was in Riyadh only because she had been abducted from the UAE a few months before. She was studying for her master’s in the UAE and was arrested, forced to return to Saudi Arabia, placed under a travel ban, not allowed to leave the country again, and then, a few months later, was arrested.

But before that, when she was sitting at home watching the announcement come down about women driving, she knew about that from a few days prior, when the Royal Court called her personally and told her to remain silent, to not speak publicly, even in praise of the new lifting of the ban, as a way of controlling the narrative that tightly. That’s one of the many instances where we saw how MBS, the crown prince, is so really obsessed with controlling the narrative from the right and the left.

AMY GOODMAN: Even in praise.

SARAH AZIZA: Yeah, even in praise. He didn’t want to appear to be giving something to activists, responding to activists.

AMY GOODMAN: So, what happened, ultimately, very quickly? She tweeted—

SARAH AZIZA: Yeah, she eventually tweeted, “Al-Hamduililah,” which means “Thank God”—that’s it—and got a—

AMY GOODMAN: That one word, “Hamduililah.”

SARAH AZIZA:* Yeah, “Thank God” for, you know, the right to drive, and very quickly was sent a message from someone from the Royal Court saying, “We told you not to speak, and if you know what’s good for you, basically, you’ll shut up.”

AMY GOODMAN: Next week, another woman activist, Israa al-Ghomgham, faces a trial and death.

SARAH AZIZA:* Yeah. There are several people going on trial in Saudi Arabia next week, including Israa, who may face the death penalty. The prosecutors are asking for the death penalty. There’s likely to be appeals—

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: And the charges against her?

SARAH AZIZA:* Basically, undermining the state. She has a connection with minority groups and activists in the kingdom. And the Saudi government, especially under MBS, has been expanding its definition of terrorism. It’s cracked down on cybersecurity laws, using the phrase “fake news.” Spreading fake news or defamation against the royal family is incurring higher and higher penalties, including imprisonment and fines. So, it really doesn’t take anything substantial to be jailed or silenced by or imprisoned by the government. Hundreds have been jailed under MBS, including in the last year, 15 journalists just in the kingdom alone.

So, this is, again, something that MBS has been showing us—his intent and his willingness to trample on human rights and to be completely intolerant of free speech among his own citizens. So, while the case of Jamal is grisly and bizarre and shocking, it’s, again, not a departure from what we’ve seen from MBS and from prior Saudi rulers.

AMY GOODMAN: Of course, not to mention what’s happening in Yemen every single day—

SARAH AZIZA: Absolutely.

AMY GOODMAN: —the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, backed by the United States, the Saudi-UAE coalition’s constant bombing of this country.

SARAH AZIZA:* Yeah, yeah. And I might add, I’ve spoken to—I have many contacts within Saudi Arabia and among the Saudi diaspora who are probably the least shocked of anyone who is following this story. You know, the world has sort of turned aghast at what’s gone on in Istanbul, but in the case of many Saudis, Saudi dissidents or just Saudis who are aware of their government’s ongoings in the world, they are perhaps the least surprised by this, although it is incredibly sobering and chilling and just a confirmation of their greatest fears. Same with the U.S. response—we don’t hold out a lot of hope for substantial change.

AMY GOODMAN: Sarah Aziza, we want to thank you for being with us.

SARAH AZIZA: Thank you.

AMY GOODMAN: And we’ll link to your piece at The Intercept.

JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion