Roger Stone has been Arrested

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Roger Stone has been Arrested

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:21 am

:yay

NIXON WOULD BE PROUD :evilgrin

PLUS another EIGHT *sealed* criminal cases filed yesterday!

- 1 count of obstruction

- 5 counts of false statements

- 1 count of witness tampering

There was a sealed indictment that was unsealed upon Stone's arrest. There are several more sealed indictments. Will there be more arrests today?

TIME IN A BARREL :D

Trump ally Roger Stone arrested on seven charges in Mueller inquiry

Stone arrested in Florida on charges of obstruction, witness tampering and making false statements

Paul OwenFri 25 Jan 2019 06.27 EST
Roger Stone, a key ally of Donald Trump, has been arrested on charges of obstruction, witness tampering and making false statements, the special counsel’s office announced on Friday.

Stone was arrested in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, following an indictment by a federal grand jury on 24 January in Washington DC, said a spokesman for Robert Mueller, who is investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 US election and any ties to the Trump campaign.

Stone will appear in court later on Friday, Peter Carr said.

More details soon
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... en-charges

Roger Stone

RAT-FUCKER EXTRAORDINAIRE ROGER STONE PROBABLY HAD FAR MORE DAMNING TEXTS SEIZED BY FBI ON MARCH 8

Roger Stone looks at Russian indictments and concludes he’s cleared :lol:

ROGER STONE’S EXCUSE FOR HIS “PODESTA TIME IN A BARREL” COMMENT IS EVEN STUPIDER GIVEN THE PAUL MANAFORT PROSECUTION

Mueller probes Roger Stone’s interactions with Trump campaign and timing of WikiLeaks release of Podesta emails

Roger Stone’s story just changed on Russia — again

Exclusive text messages show Roger Stone and friend discussing WikiLeaks plans

Roger Stone repeatedly claimed contact with Donald Trump and his campaign while touting WikiLeaks connectionshttp://www.rigorousintuition ... 33&t=40914

TWITTER COMMENTS

RogerStone is finally arrested. What a career! Decades of spreading hate, misinformation, playing clown for the far-right and plutocrats. He helped build the prison-industrial complex, helped lay the bricks; don't be surprised when the walls you build begin the circle around you

Worst Monopoly man ever arrested. #RogerStone

Questions:
• Who’s person 1?
• Who’s person 2?

I can’t believe Mueller didn’t also charge #RogerStone with “obvious fashion crimes of wearing a zoot suit and looking like a 1920s mobster .”
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Roger Stone has been Arrested

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:53 am

emptywheel

Virtually the only thing that's new in Stone indictment is that 1) campaign sent HIM out to contact WL 2) They're playing hardball.

STONE'S INDICTMENT IS A SPEAKING INDICTMENT

TWITTER COMMENTS

The FBI don’t fuck around. They pop up Roger Stone. House and arrest him before 6:00AM. That’s how you do it fellas!!!

And now #RogerStone is taken out in a predawn no-knock , bust -down-the -door arrest at his house with: "#FBI! Open the door!"

And #JulianAssange better stay holed up in #Ecuador. The 1st count against Stone involves #OrganisationOne-@wikileaks.

Timeline: Roger Stone and His Interactions with Wikileaks, Russians, and More

The following timeline contains events relevant to whether Roger Stone worked with Russian government agents and intermediaries or supported Russian government efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential elections. As a background matter, it is important to know that the U.S. Intelligence Community’s report concludes with “high confidence” that the Russian intelligence operation used Guccifer 2.0 (a front for a Russian intelligence group) and Wikileaks to release the stolen materials in the US election.

Timeline

August 2015: In his congressional testimony, Stone claims that his “consulting relationship” with the Trump campaign ended in August 2015. [Note that among other information in the public record, the Special Counsel’s indictment of 12 Russian military officials states that Stone remained “in regular contact with senior members of the presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump.”]

May 2016: Michael Caputo, senior Trump campaign communications adviser who has had deep business ties to Russia and is described as a protégé of Stone, arranges for Stone to meet in Sunny Isles, Florida with a Russian national, “Henry Greenberg” (a.k.a. Henry Oknyansky) who said he could provide damaging information about Hillary Clinton. Stone told the Washington Post that he met with Greenberg but rejected the man’s proposal because he asked for $2 million. Stone also says that Greenberg did not reveal the information he claimed to possess. Stone told the Post that Greenberg was alone, but Greenberg said he was with a Ukrainian friend who conducted the meeting. “How crazy is the Russian?,” Caputo texted Stone after the meeting.

Note: In their congressional testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, neither Caputo (in July 2017) nor Stone (in Sept. 2017) revealed the meeting to congressional investigators. Caputo testified that he had no contacts with Russians during his time on the campaign. Stone testified that he “never had any communication with any Russians or individuals fronting for Russians, in connection with the 2016 presidential election.” Stone has reportedly not been interviewed by the Special Counsel. The Special Counsel interviewed Caputo in May 2018 and asked him about the Florida meeting during a sometimes-heated questioning session, according to Caputo.

Spring 2016: Sometime in the spring of 2016, Stone reportedly told a confidant that he had contact with Assange earlier that year. Stone’s confidant told the Washington Post that Stone said he learned from Assange that Wikileaks had obtained emails that would torment senior Democrats such as John Podesta. The conversation occurred before any public reports that hackers had obtained emails of the Democratic National Committee, let alone Podesta.

June 12, 2016: The British press reports that Julian Assange said that WikiLeaks had obtained and planned to publish a batch of emails “in relation to Hillary Clinton”

June 14, 2016: Washington Post reports that the Russia government hacked DNC computers

June 15, 2016: Guccifer 2.0 claims responsibility for the hack as “a lone hacker”

July 22, 2016: Shortly before the Democratic National Convention, WikiLeaks releases nearly 20,000 internal DNC emails

July 25, 2016: Stone-associate Charles Ortel emails then Fox News correspondent James Rosen and Fox’s Judge Andrew Napolitano, blind copying Stone, with the subject line: “Fox London needs to meet Assange.” Rosen replies: “”Am told Wikileaks will be doing a massaive dump of HRC emails relating to the CF in September.” Ortel says he forwarded Rosen’s email to Stone.

July 25, 2016: Stone emails Jerome Corsi: “Get to (Assange) [a]t Ecuadorian Embassy in London and get the pending (WikiLeaks) emails.” Corsi passes the request to Ted Malloch.

July 31, 2016: Stone emails Corsi with the subject line, “Call me MON.” The body of the email says that Malloch “should see [Assange].”

August 2, 2016: Corsi emails Stone informing him of the contents and timing of future Wikileaks document releases, including ones involving Podesta and information related to Clinton’s health:

“Word is friend in embassy plans 2 more dumps. One shortly after I’m back. 2nd in Oct. Impact planned to be very damaging.… Time to let more than [the Clinton Campaign Chairman] to be exposed as in bed w enemy if they are not ready to drop HRC. That appears to be the game hackers are now about. Would not hurt to start suggesting HRC old, memory bad, has stroke — neither he nor she well. I expect that much of next dump focus, setting stage for Foundation debacle.”

[Note: NBC News reported in late Oct. 2018 that “Mueller’s investigators have reviewed messages to members of the Trump team in which Stone and Corsi seem to take credit for the release of Democratic emails, said a person with direct knowledge of the emails.”]

August 3, 2016: Stone said that he spoke with Trump on August 3.

August 4, 2016: Stone sends an email to Sam Nunberg saying, “I dined with my new pal Julian Assange last nite.” It is unclear whether Stone meant he had an online meeting with Assange, since it appears he did not leave the United States, and Assange remained in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.

August 5, 2016: Stone publishes an article in Breitbart claiming Guccifer 2.0 and not Russia hacked the DNC

August 8, 2016: In a video: Stone says he has communicated with Assange:

QUESTIONER: With regard to the October surprise, what would be your forecast on that given what Julian Assange has intimated he’s going to do?
ROGER STONE: Well, it could be any number of things. I actually have communicated with Assange. I believe the next tranche of his documents pertain to the Clinton Foundation but there’s no telling what the October surprise may be.

[Note: Stone would later claim he meant that he was communicating with Assange through “an intermediary.” A spokesperson for Assange issued several denials including, “Wikileaks has had no contact with Roger Stone.” and “No communications, no channel”]

August 12, 2016: Guccifer 2.0 releases Democrats’ records it says were taken from a breach of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC)

August 12, 2016: @GUCCIFER_2 tweets at Stone: “thanks that u believe in the real #Guccifer2″

August 13, 2016: Stone tweets at @wikileaks @GUCCIFER_2 that it is “Outrageous” that Twitter has suspended Guccifer’s account.

August 13, 2016: Stone tweets that Guccifer is a “HERO”

August 14-September 9, 2016: Stone communicates privately with Guccifer 2.0 using Twitter’s Direct Messages. (Only after a news outlet revealed the existence of these communications in March 2017, Stone publishes the exchange. Stone says this is the entirety of his communication with Guccifer, but the exchange ends abruptly, and there is no way of telling if the two did not continue through other Twitter accounts or other platforms.)

[Note: Stone does not notify law enforcement authorities.]

August 15, 2016: In one Direct Message exchange, Guccifer 2.0 asks Stone: “do you find anything interesting in the docs i posted?”

August 17, 2016: Donald Trump is briefed by US intelligence agencies that Russia is implicated in the DNC hack (h/t: @RVAwonk)

August 17, 2016: In one Direct Message exchange, Guccifer 2.0 says to Stone. “please tell me if i can help u anyhow. it would be a great pleasure to me.”

August 19, 2016: Paul Manafort formally resigns from the Trump campaign following a New York Times report on his receiving secret cash payments from Ukrainian political groups.

August 21, 2016: Stone tweets: “Trust me, it will soon the Podesta’s time in the barrel. #CrookedHillary”

[Note: In an interview on October 19, Stone would later claim he had meant only that his tweet was not about Podesta’s emails but about business dealings, which he did not learn about from Wikileaks. Think Progress has a helpful analysis of why “Stone’s alibi falls apart.” See also the entry for Aug. 30, 2016 involving the Corsi “cover story.”]

August 22, 2016: Guccifer 2.0 sends to Florida GOP operative Aaron Nevins 2.5 gigabytes of data from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC), and Nevins posts some of that data on his anonymous Florida politics blog.

Late August: Guccifer 2.0 may have thought/been aware that the FBI was monitoring his Direct Messages. That is revealed by a separate exchange with The Smoking Gun (TSG) news outlet, which would break the story, in March 2017, about the exchanges. In its March 2017 piece, TSG writes:

In late-August, TSG asked “Guccifer 2.0” about contact with Stone. After wondering, “why r u asking?,” “Guccifer 2.0” then accused TSG of receiving reportorial guidance from federal investigators: “the fbi’s tracing me, reading my dm [direct messages] and giving u hints. no?” When further pressed, “Guccifer 2.0” said, “i won’t comment on my conversations with other ppl.” The self-professed “freedom fighter” added, “why r u so interested in stone? he’s just a person who wrote a story about me. or i don’t know some important stuff?”]

August 30, 2016: Stone calls Corsi, nine days after the tweet referring to Podesta—and asks Corsi for help in creating an “alternative explanation” for the tweet after the fact, according to an interview Corsi gave to the Wall Street Journal in Nov. 2018). Corsi also told the Journal, “What I construct, and what I testified to the grand jury, was I believed I was creating a cover story for Roger, because Roger wanted to explain this tweet … the special counsel knew this. They can virtually tell my keystrokes on that computer.”

September 9, 2016: After asking Stone what Guccifer 2.0 can do to help, Guccifer 2.0 sends Stone a link to Nevins’ page containing DCCC’s turnout data and asks what Stone thinks. Stone replies, “Pretty Standard.”

[Note: If that type of information being disclosed is not pretty standard, then Stone’s reply is incriminating. Analysis by Josh Marshall at Talking Points Memo suggests it was not pretty standard. The Direct Message exchange between Stone and Guccifer then ends abruptly.]

On Sept. 18, 2016, Stone emailed Randy Credico, a New York radio personality who had interviewed Assange, with a specific document request, “Please ask Assange for any State or HRC e-mail from August 10 to August 30–particularly on August 20, 2011.” Credico initially replied that the information would be on Wikileaks website if it existed. Stone responded, “Why do we assume WikiLeaks has released everything they have???” Credico then asked for a “little bit of time,” and wrote a few hours later, “That batch probably coming out in the next drop…I can’t ask them favors every other day. I asked one of his lawyers.” Credico was presumably referring to prior requests to Wikileaks. Credico would later say that he never passed on the request to Assange or his lawyers, but got weary of Stone “bothering” him.

October 2, 2016 (Sunday): Stone says on Alex Jones’ show: “An intermediary met with him [Assange] in London recently who is a friend of mine and a friend of his, a believer in freedom. I am assured that the mother lode is coming Wednesday. It wouldn’t be an October surprise if I told you what it was but I have reason to believe that it is devastating because people with political judgment who are aware of the subject matter tell me this.”

October 2, 2016 (Sunday): Stone tweets: “Wednesday @HillaryClinton is done. #Wikileaks.”

October 3, 2016: Stone tweets: “I have total confidence that @wikileaks and my hero Julian Assange will educate the American people soon. #LockHerUp”

October 3-4, 2016: A series of emails, obtained by the New York Times, show that Stone held himself out to members of the Trump campaign as a conduit to Wikileaks, and suggested he knew of Assange’s plans and reasons for making decisions about timing. Documents include emails directly between Stone and Stephen Bannon, campaign chairman at the time. In an email from Matthew Boyle, Washington editor of Breitbart News and Bannon, Boyle wrote, “Well clearly he knows what Assange has.”

October 5, 2016 (Wednesday): Stone tweets: “Libs thinking Assange will stand down are wishful thinking. Payload coming #Lockthemup”

October 7, 2016: WikiLeaks’ publication of Podesta’s emails began two hours after the “Access Hollywood” story is published by the Washington Post.

[Note: The Washington Post may have given the Trump team some advance warning by seeking comment before publishing. The Post’s story states that the paper sought comment from NBC beforehand.]

October 12, 2016: The Daily caller reports, “Stone told TheDC that the release was actually delayed by Assange. ‘I was led to believe that there would be a major release on a previous Wednesday,’ Stone said.”

[Note-1: Examining this part of the Daily Caller’s interview with Stone, former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti explains, “Stone has effectively admitted in an interview that his statements in October saying something significant was about to drop were, indeed, references to the Podesta emails.”]

[Note-2: As Mariotti also mentions, Stone has repeatedly said that he had “no advance notice about the hacking of Mr. Podesta.” Stone uses essentially that exact same phrase each time (Stone’s blog, Breitbart interview, Reddit Ask Me Anything, local Florida television). What Stone does not say is whether he had no advance notice about the release of Podesta’s hacked emails.]

October 13, 2016: Wikileaks issues a statement denying any communications with Stone. The same day, Stone sends a private message over Twitter to Wikileaks saying, “Since I was all over national TV, cable and print defending wikileaks and assange against the claim that you are Russian agents … you may want to rexamine[sic] the strategy of attacking me.” Wikileaks replies, “the false claims of association are being used by the democrats to undermine the impact of our publications. Don’t go there if you don’t want us to correct you,” to which Stone responds, “The more you ‘correct’ me the more people think you are lying.”

Post-election:

November 9, 2016: Wikileaks sends a private message to Stone on Twitter: “Happy? We are now more free to communicate.”

March 4, 2017: Stone tweets that he “had a “perfectly legal back channel to Assange.”

March 8, 2017: The Smoking Gun publishes a piece titled revealing Stone’s private communications with Guccifer 2.0. The Smoking Gun reports that Stone first said he did not recall these exchanges, and Stone said the entire exchange was public:

“Asked if he had exchanged private Twitter direct messages with ‘Guccifer 2.0,’ Stone said in a text, ‘don’t recall.’ … Stone said he thought his “entire communication” with “Guccifer 2.0” “was on twitter for the world to see.” The “brief exchange was public,” Stone contended.

March 10, 2017: Following The Smoking Gun revelations, the Washington Times interviews Stone about his Direct Message private communications with Guccifer 2.0. Stone says the conversations were “completely innocuous,” and “[i]t was so perfunctory, brief and banal I had forgotten it.”

[Note: it is not credible that this exchange was “banal” and that he had “forgotten” about it, in part, due to Stone’s own Breitbart article preceding the exchange, in which he obviously recognized the importance of Guccifer 2.0.]

March 10, 2017: Only after The Smoking Gun breaks the story about his private Direct Messages with Guccifer 2.0, Stone publishes a statement on his website including the same representations he made to Washington Times, and publishes what he says is the complete exchange with Guccifer 2.0

September 25, 2017: Stone testifies before the House Intelligence Committee. On or following that date, Stone also subsequently amends his congressional testimony three different times reportedly having to do with “his contacts with Russian nationals, the extent of his interactions with WikiLeaks, and his conversations with Trump-campaign officials.”

November 28, 2017: Stone learns that the House Intelligence Committee has subpoenaed Credico, after Stone had told he Committee that Credico was his “source” or “intermediary” for communications with Wikileaks.

November 30, 2017: Stone asks Corsi to write publicly about Credico, and tells Corsi that Credico “will take the 5th,” according to the special counsel’s draft Statement of Offence for Corsi.

January 6, 2018: Stone texts Credico saying he is “working with others to get JA [Julian Assange] a blanket pardon. … It’s very real and very possible.”
https://www.justsecurity.org/45435/time ... wikileaks/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 am

Stone was NOT given the opportunity to turn himself in

Roger Stone was the man who came up with "The Wall" talking point for Trump to remember to talk about illegal immigration during the 2016 campaign

PIZZA :rofl: PIZZA :rofl: PIZZA :rofl: PIZZA :rofl:

As Stone waits for Mueller, he's back to going out for pizza on Fridays

By Sara Murray, CNN
Updated 3:32 PM ET, Thu January 24, 2019
Roger Stone in limbo as he waits for Robert Mueller
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics ... index.html

Together Again IN FUCKING JAIL!!!!!

The way they did this was so deliciously savage I can’t even

Next, we decided to cross-reference the most frequent Pizzagate tweeters with a list of 139 handles associated with Trump campaign staffers, advisers and surrogates. We also ran our entire sample against the list of accounts linked to Russia’s Internet Research Agency. We found that at least 14 Russia-linked accounts had tweeted about Pizzagate, including @Pamela_Moore13, whose avatar is, aptly, an anonymous figure wrapped in an American flag; that account has been retweeted by such prominent Trump supporters as Donald Trump Jr., Ann Coulter and Roger Stone, the political operative who recommended Paul Manafort as Trump’s campaign manager.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... al-125877/

Seth Abramson

Mueller says Roger Stone kept *multiple* "senior Trump campaign officials" apprised of his inside intel about WikiLeaks. Funny how none of those "senior Trump campaign officials" gave any indication they were getting covert collusive assistance from an enemy of the United States.

Understand that, given his age, Roger Stone now faces more than enough charges to keep him in prison until he dies. A key purpose of these 7 charges is to find out *what else Stone knows and did and with whom*. Ignore those who say this is all Mueller had.

This is a *beginning*.

3/ Stone isn't the ideal guy for a cooperation deal because—from a certain standpoint and in a certain light—he's a true believer in his form of "political ratfuckery," but his regular contacts with senior Trump campaign officials suggest he does have a story to tell if he wants.

4/ We also know that for months Mueller has been intensely intrested in learning how frequently Stone was in touch with the Trump campaign and who precisely he spoke with, which suggests he's trying to gauge how much access Stone had to internal campaign discussions on collusion.

5/ And one of the people Roger Stone was in contact with the *most* was Donald Trump himself, which underscores that these 7 charges bring the Mueller probe much closer to Donald Trump than many who think this is all just about Stone, Jerome Corsi, and Randy Credico will realize.

6/ And I'll say again what I've said in Proof of Collusion and everywhere else: crimes besides conspiracy can be collusive crimes, including tampering with witnesses, obstructing justice, and telling lies to feds to hide your collusion with a hostile foreign intelligence service.

7/ So all those who say these charges have nothing to do with Donald Trump, and those who say these are not crimes of collusion, and those who say that these charges represent all that Mueller has or plans to have against Stone or senior Trump campaign officials are *dead wrong*.

8/ Contrary to the false info Trump has fed America for many months now, lying to the feds is only going to be charged if the lie is as to a material fact in a probe. What that means is the *content* of these lies is every bit as important or more important than the fact of them.

9/ Indeed, it was in anticipation of charges just like these that Trump, Rudy Giuliani, and Roger Stone all tried to convince America that charges of this sort are mere "process crimes" that have no substantive content. Read this indictment—you'll see the lie in that immediately.

10/ I think it's clear now that Ari Melber was onto something yesterday in detecting that Jerome Corsi had suddenly turned on Roger Stone. This indictment suggests Mueller did indeed, as we always suspected, want Stone much more than Corsi, and wanted to turn Corsi against Stone.

MUELLER PLAYS HARDBALL WITH ROGER STONE

January 25, 2019/0 Comments/in 2016 Presidential Election, Mueller Probe /by emptywheel
Roger Stone was indicted and arrested in a raid on his home this morning.

There’s very little that we didn’t already know, at least in outline form: he was indicted because he lied about Jerome Corsi being his source for early WikiLeaks information rather than Randy Credico to HPSCI and then pressured Credico to sustain that claim for him. The sexiest detail about that is that he told Credico he should do a Frank Pentangeli, meaning he should claim not to know what he did.

On multiple occasions, including on or about December 1, 2017, STONE told Person 2 that Person 2 should do a “Frank Pentangeli” before HPSCI in order to avoid contradicting STONE’s testimony. Frank Pentangeli is a character in the film The Godfather: Part II, which both STONE and Person 2 had discussed, who testifies before a congressional committee and in that testimony claims not to know critical information that he does in fact know.

The most important detail — by far — in the indictment reveals that a senior Trump Campaign official “was directed” to contact Stone about what else was coming from WikiLeaks.

After the July 22, 2016 release of stolen DNC emails by Organization 1, a senior Trump Campaign official was directed to contact STONE about any additional releases and what other damaging information Organization 1 had regarding the Clinton Campaign. STONE thereafter told the Trump Campaign about potential future releases of damaging material by Organization 1.

The indictment doesn’t say, “directed by whom.”

And that, I think, is why Stone was arrested before dawn rather than permitted to self report, and why Stone was charged with obstruction plus five counts of false statements.

This is an effort to get Stone to reveal who that “whom” was, and whatever follow-up contacts he had with that “whom.”

The indictment also doesn’t charge Jerome Corsi, nor does it describe Stone asking Corsi to write a cover story for him back in August 2016. That may mean that Mueller now wants Stone to incriminate Corsi.

The indictment comes before Mueller obtains Andrew Miller’s testimony, which Miller himself has suggested might include interesting information about campaign finance.

But for now, this looks like an indictment and a delivery of it designed to strong arm Stone. I’m not sure that’s going to work with Stone.
https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/01/25/m ... ger-stone/

emptywheel

Hey @realDonaldTrump?

Your Big Dick Toilet Salesman let Bobby Three Sticks arrest Roger Stone!

The indictment says that a senior Trump campaign official was instructed to have Stone remain in communication with WikiLeaks, and to report back about any developments that could harm the Hillary Clinton campaign. This spells out collusion between the Trump campaign and WikiLeaks at the highest levels during the 2016 election, and – given WikiLeaks’ status as little more than an arm of the Kremlin – it also speaks out Trump Russia collusion.

https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/h ... ose/15516/

SENTENCED TO PRISON
George Papadopoulos
Paul Manafort

REPORTING TO PRISON
Michael Cohen

PRISON SENTENCING DELAYED
Michael Flynn

GUILTY PLEAS:
Alex van der Zwaan
Rick Gates

IMMUNITY DEALS:
David Pecker
Allen Weisselberg

ARRESTED
Roger Stone

This is some witch hunt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNi0NJ1dfeE

paragraph 44 13 indicted russians
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40854
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 am

Steve Bannon Is High-Ranking Trump Campaign Official In Stone Indictment

Josh Kovensky
on May 22, 2018 in Prague, Czech Republic.
Sean Gallup/Getty Images Europe

Former Trump campaign chairman Stephen K. Bannon appears in the indictment of GOP operative Roger Stone as a key campaign official with whom Stone communicated in the days before Wikileaks began releasing the hacked of Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman.

An unnamed “high-ranking Trump Campaign official” emailed Stone in early October 2016, days before Wikileaks began to publish the emails, “asking about the status of future releases,” the indictment alleges.

Stone replied that Assange had a “[s]erious security concern” but that Wikileaks would release “a load every week going forward.”

A person familiar with the matter confirmed to TPM that the indictment is referring to Bannon.

The messages also correspond to a November 2018 New York Times article that first published the exchange.

Bannon joined the Trump campaign as chairman in August 2016, after the departure of the now-convicted Paul Manafort.

Wikileaks began publishing the emails, stolen from Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta’s account, on Oct. 7.

“Shortly after Organization 1’s release, an associate of the high-ranking Trump Campaign official sent a text message to STONE that read ‘well done,'” prosecutors allege. “In subsequent conversations with senior Trump Campaign officials, STONE claimed credit for having correctly predicted the October 7, 2016 release.”
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... -wikileaks

emptywheel

Please remember that Roger Stone, like all people charged with a crime in the US, is innocent until proven guilty.

If we don't adhere to that standard for well-connected shitholes it won't be there for us when we need it.

The reason Mueller focuses on Stone's threats against Toto is bc witness tampering with threats of violence bring up to 20 years punishment.

Richard Blumenthal

Stone indictment a possible preview of coming attractions—in living color, more dynamite disclosures are likely from this dramatic Trump crony & potential co-conspirator.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:16 am

Last edited by seemslikeadream on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:37 am

FBI are raiding Stone’s apt in NY

Roger Stone, Adviser to Trump, Is Indicted in Mueller Investigation
Jan. 25, 2019
Roger J. Stone Jr., a longtime Trump adviser, has been charged as part of the investigation by the special counsel, Robert Mueller. He was arrested in a pre-dawn F.B.I. raid in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and is expected to appear in court Friday.Jim Lo Scalzo/European Pressphoto Agency
WASHINGTON — Roger J. Stone Jr., a longtime informal adviser to President Trump, was charged as part of the special counsel investigation over his communications with WikiLeaks, the organization behind the release of thousands of stolen Democratic emails during the 2016 campaign, in an indictment unsealed Friday.

Mr. Stone was charged with seven counts, including obstruction of an official proceeding, making false statements and witness tampering, according to the special counsel’s office.

F.B.I. agents arrested Mr. Stone before dawn on Friday at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and he was expected to appear in a federal courthouse there later in the morning. F.B.I. agents were also seen carting hard drives and other evidence from Mr. Stone’s apartment in Harlem.

The indictment is the first in months by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, who is investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 election and possible coordination with Trump campaign associates. Citing details in emails and other forms of communications, the indictment suggests Mr. Trump’s campaign knew about additional stolen emails before they were released and asked Mr. Stone to find out about them.

[Read the indictment.]

Mr. Stone’s lawyer, Grant Smith, dismissed the charges, calling them “ridiculous,” and said, “this is all about a minor charge about lying to Congress about something that was apparently found later.”

Mr. Stone, a self-described dirty trickster, began his career as a campaign aide for Richard M. Nixon and has a tattoo of Nixon on his back. He has spent decades plying the political dark arts including scandal-mongering to help influence American election campaigns, and has long maintained that he had no connection to Russia’s attempts to disrupt the 2016 presidential election. He sometimes seemed to taunt American law enforcement agencies, daring them to find hard evidence to link him to the Russian election interference.

According to the indictment, between June and July of 2016, Mr. Stone told “senior Trump campaign officials” about the stolen emails in WikiLeaks’ possession that could be damaging to Mrs. Clinton. On July 22, WikiLeaks released its first batch of Democratic emails. After that, according to the indictment, the Trump campaign sought more.

“A senior Trump Campaign official was directed to contact Stone about any additional releases and what other damaging information Organization 1 had regarding the Clinton campaign,” the indictment said, referring to WikiLeaks. The indictment did not make clear who the senior Trump campaign official was and who directed the senior campaign official to reach out to Mr. Stone, though it left open the possibility that it was Mr. Trump.

The White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, sought to broadly distance Mr. Trump from the charges. “The charges brought against Mr. Stone have nothing to do with the president,” she told CNN. Asked whether he directed a campaign aide to contact Mr. Stone about the WikiLeaks emails, she repeated that the charges did not involve the president.

In June of 2016, days before Russia was publicly identified as having stolen the emails, senior Trump campaign officials and Mr. Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. had a meeting with a Kremlin-linked attorney about getting information that could be damaging to Mrs. Clinton.

It is illegal for a political campaign to accept foreign aid, and Mr. Trump and his son have said they did nothing wrong because they did not receive any damaging materials because of that meeting.

Mr. Stone has said publicly that he was in contact with WikiLeaks and suggested on Twitter that additional damaging information would be coming. The indictment said that Mr. Stone was contacted by senior Trump campaign officials to inquire about future releases.

Everyone Who’s Been Charged in Investigations Related to the 2016 Election

Roger Stone is the sixth Trump adviser or official charged in the special counsel investigation.

Aug. 21, 2018
Mr. Stone’s brash behavior made him less of a subject of news media scrutiny than other current and former aides to President Trump — like the character in a whodunit whom readers immediately dismiss as too obvious to have committed the crime.

But the special counsel’s investigators spent months encircling Mr. Stone, renewing scrutiny about his role during the 2016 presidential race. Investigators interviewed former Trump campaign advisers and several of his associates about Mr. Stone’s fund-raising during the campaign and his contacts with WikiLeaks.

Three senior Trump campaign officials have told Mr. Mueller’s team that Mr. Stone created the impression that he was a conduit for inside information from WikiLeaks, according to people familiar with their witness interviews. One of them told investigators that Mr. Stone not only seemed to predict WikiLeaks’ actions, but also that he took credit afterward for the timing of its disclosures that damaged Hillary Clinton’s candidacy.

In October, Mr. Stone exchanged emails with Stephen K. Bannon, then the chief executive of Mr. Trump’s campaign. In one exchange, Mr. Stone wrote that more WikiLeaks disclosures were forthcoming, “a load every week going forward,” according to the indictment. Mr. Bannon appears to be the official described in the court document as “the high-ranking Trump Campaign official,” based on previous disclosures about the email exchange.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016
TO: Roger Stone
EMAIL:
What was that this morning???

Tuesday, October 4, 2016
TO: Steve Bannon
EMAIL:
Fear. Serious security concern. He thinks they are going to kill him and the London police are standing done.
However —a load every week going forward.
Roger stone

Tuesday, October 4, 2016
TO: Roger Stone
EMAIL:
He didn’t cut deal w/ clintons???

A day before Mr. Stone and Mr. Bannon emailed about WikiLeaks, Donald Trump Jr. exchanged Twitter messages with the WikiLeaks Twitter account and asked, “What’s behind this Wednesday leak I keep reading about.”

At the end of that week, on Oct. 7, WikiLeaks released more than 6,000 emails related to John D. Podesta, the chairman of the Clinton campaign. The release came 30 minutes after The Washington Post published a recording of Mr. Trump bragging on the set of Access Hollywood about assaulting women. The timing has raised questions about whether the WikiLeaks release was an attempt to distract the public from the Access Hollywood tape and redirect negative attention from Mr. Trump to the Clinton campaign.

In social media posts and numerous interviews before the 2016 election, Mr. Stone indicated that he had advance knowledge that a trove of information damaging to Mrs. Clinton’s campaign might be about to spill into public view, and even suggested that he had personally spoken to the WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange.

Mr. Stone has changed his story in the months since, saying that he was not actually speaking to Mr. Assange and that he had no direct knowledge that Russians were responsible for the Democratic hacking. Still, it was revealed last year that, in the weeks before the election, Mr. Stone was messaging on Twitter with Guccifer 2.0, a pseudonym used by one or more operatives in the Russian intelligence scheme to steal the emails and funnel them to WikiLeaks.

Mr. Stone himself has said publicly that he was prepared for the possibility that he could be indicted, but he has long maintained that he is innocent and has often echoed Mr. Trump’s claims that Mr. Mueller’s investigation is a politically motivated witch hunt.

“This was supposed to be about Russian collusion, and it appears to be an effort to silence or punish the president’s supporters and his advocates,” he said last May on “Meet the Press.”

“It is not inconceivable now that Mr. Mueller and his team may seek to conjure up some extraneous crime pertaining to my business, or maybe not even pertaining to the 2016 election,” he said.

The tumultuous relationship between Mr. Stone and Mr. Trump goes back decades, with Mr. Stone acting as an informal adviser to Mr. Trump as he considered running for president several times. When Mr. Trump formally announced during the spring of 2015 that he was running for president, Mr. Stone was one of the first members of the team, but within months, he had a public dispute with Mr. Trump and left the campaign.

The two men have remained close, though, speaking often by telephone.

Jeenah Moon contributed reporting from New York.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/us/p ... 5W1rAsrM13
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:14 am

BadDude.SimoHayha
@ChiefCovfefe
·
here's the FBI leaving Roger Stone's apartment in NYC. Hiding faces and license plate

They were hauling boxes into the car. Got there just as they were leaving, press photographers were on the scene.

B5356C4E-1363-4ECE-B15E-8E29ED6075A9.jpeg

F00D2641-D22B-47EB-9108-E65B9CDAC93E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:54 am

Stone is a sleazy creep.

But can someone remind me again, why I need to be excited about this Mueller freakshow?
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:55 am

thanks for asking

but if you don't care or don't believe it, fine by me....don't bother opening my threads and apparently you haven't or you could have answered your own question

did you hear about the airports this morning?.....nice way to wreck a country ...I wonder who would be down with that?

FAA: Flights delayed at major US airports due to staffing
https://www.local10.com/news/national/f ... o-staffing

they are playing Back in the USSR in front of the court house :P :P

because trump is a Russian asset.....

Putin sitting on that receipt ever since

trump Spouting Russian Propaganda?

US government held hostage by Russian asset

THE RECORD-LONG government shutdown, now entering day 32, may cost the government more than the $5.7 billion President Donald Trump is demanding for a border wall.
And the longest government shutdown in the country's history doesn't appear to have an end in sight.

Fernand R. Amandi

Verified account

@AmandiOnAir
17h17 hours ago

Said it before, will say it again.

He doesn’t care about the wall.

The wall was an excuse to accomplish his true objective.

His true objective was to SHUTDOWN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

Why?

Became his assignment is to sabotage the United States.

Fernand R. Amandi

Verified account

@AmandiOnAir
Jan 21
More
Never, ever forget that the greatest beneficiary of the #TrumpShutdown of the government of the United States, now the longest in our national history — is Vladimir Putin.

The wall was NEVER the objective.

SHUTTING DOWN THE GOVERNMENT was the objective.

https://twitter.com/AmandiOnAir

Trump and Putin Have Met Five Times. What Was Said Is a Mystery.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/us/p ... tings.html

The NRA The Russia Connection
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40968

Jerome Corsi: RussiaGate’s ‘Little Big Man’
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41461

George Papadopoulos
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41040

Trumpublicons: Foreign Influence/Grifting in '16 US Election
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40179

13 Russian Nationals Indicted by Grand Jury
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40854

INDICTED Turkish Minister Former General Manager...GIULIANI?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40682

The Domestic Conspiracy Is Hiding In Plain Sight Erik Prince
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40315

Will Flynn bring back Yellowcake to WH Menu after 1-21-17?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40188

POISON IN THE SYSTEM
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40564

Russia Biggest Cybersecurity Firm Head Arrested For Treason
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40330

Everything you need to know about Felix Sater
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40670

The Mystery of the 14 Dead Russian Officials
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40675

oh and last but not LEAST

Distributed Denial of Secrets
This Time It’s Russia’s Emails Getting Leaked
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41553
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger Stone sort-of made a statement to the press after his arrest ... but you couldn't hear him over the crowd booing and chanting "Lock Him Up!"

Caroline Orr

Per the indictment: On or about October 4, 2016, Roger Stone received an email from a high-ranking Trump Campaign official asking about the status of future releases by WikiLeaks. Roger Stone replied that the head of WikiLeaks would release "a load every week going forward."

(!!) Per the indictment: On or about Oct 7, 2016, WikiLeaks released the first set of emails stolen from the Clinton Campaign chairman. Shortly after the release, an associate of the high-ranking Trump Campaign official sent a text message to Roger Stone that read "well done."
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk

READING ROGER’S INDICTMENT

January 25, 2019/1 Comment/in 2016 Presidential Election, Mueller Probe /by emptywheel
This post will provide a guide to reading Roger Stone’s indictment, to highlight what was unknown from it, and what has long been known. I’ll do updates to talk about the pregnant silences in the indictment.

Organization 1: WikiLeaks

Person 1: Jerome Corsi

Person 2: Randy Credico

Senior Trump Campaign official (¶12): Unknown

After the July 22, 2016 release of stolen DNC emails by Organization 1, a senior Trump Campaign official was directed to contact STONE about any additional releases and what other damaging information Organization 1 had regarding the Clinton Campaign.

A supporter involved with the Trump Campaign (¶16a, ¶16d): Unknown, but could be Sam Nunberg

High-ranking Trump campaign official (¶16b, ¶16c): Steven Bannon

A reporter who had connections to a high-ranking Trump Campaign official (¶16b): Matthew Boyle

Associate of high-ranking Trump campaign official (¶17): Un

September 18 request for information (¶15d): Stone was looking for details on Hillary’s attempts to thwart a Libyan peace deal
https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/01/25/r ... ndictment/

My favorite part of Roger Stone’s Arrest? That the FBI used their SWAT team to support the arresting agents. You never know when a felon is going to go full felony and start a shoot out.

It Was All in Plain Sight

Roger Stone’s indictment would have packed more of a wallop if his ties to WikiLeaks hadn’t been obvious since the 2016 campaign.

David A. Graham is a staff writer at The Atlantic, where he covers U.S. politics and global news. Facebook Twitter Email
11:43 AM ET
Roger Stone
Roger Stone testifies to the House Intelligence Committee in September 2017.Andrew Harnik / AP
Make no mistake: Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s indictment of Roger Stone, released early Friday morning, is a big deal. It’s just that it would be a bigger deal if the Trump campaign hadn’t so brazenly conducted its dubious dealings for all the public to see in real time.

The indictment, coinciding with Stone’s early-morning arrest in Florida and a raid of his New York apartment, lays out how Stone, a longtime friend and associate of Trump’s, allegedly served as a conduit between the Trump campaign and WikiLeaks. Stone was an early member of Trump’s 2016 team, and had been involved in Trump’s previous flirtations with runs for office, but left the nascent campaign in August 2015.

Yet Stone remained in contact with Trump campaign officials. After WikiLeaks released hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee in July 2016, “a senior Trump Campaign official was directed to contact STONE about any additional releases and what other damaging information [WikiLeaks] had regarding the Clinton Campaign,” the indictment says. It’s not clear who that official was, or who directed him or her.

Read: Is WikiLeaks a Russian front?

That began months of communications between Stone and WikiLeaks, using two intermediaries, who appear to be the conspiracy-theorizing conservative writer Jerome Corsi and the radio host Randy Credico. Using information apparently gleaned through the two, Stone accurately forecast subsequent WikiLeaks dumps of emails, both to Trump officials privately and in public tweets and comments.

More Stories

Donald Trump holds a press conference on July 27, 2016.

Roger Stone
But in 2017, when Congress began investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election, Stone tried to cover up all of that, Mueller charges. Stone told the House Intelligence Committee that he didn’t have any relevant documents, which turned out to be false. He disclosed using Credico as an intermediary to WikiLeaks, but not Corsi. He said he’d never asked an intermediary to communicate anything to Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks head, and he said he’d never discussed any conversations with WikiLeaks with the Trump campaign. All of these claims turned out to be false as well, as Mueller documented with written communications.

Stone also tried to persuade Credico to lie in his sworn testimony, making reference to the Godfather: Part II character Frank Pentangeli. (Credico replied, “You should have just been honest with the House Intel committee … you’ve opened yourself up to perjury charges like an idiot.”) As a result of all of this, Mueller charged Stone with obstruction, six counts of making false statements, and witness tampering.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Friday that “this has nothing to do with the president, and certainly nothing to do with the White House.” Yet the indictment makes clear the close connections between the Trump campaign and the behavior involved, and Trump has also praised Stone publicly for saying he would not testify against Trump. Testify about what?

Much of what is revealed in Friday’s indictment was already partially made clear in a draft document from Mueller’s team that Corsi leaked to the press in November, which sketched out many of the communications between Stone and Assange, via Corsi and Credico.

Yet much of it was known long before that. Stone took remarkably little effort to conceal his communications with WikiLeaks during the campaign. On August 8, 2016, speaking to a Republican group in Florida, Stone said, “I actually have communicated with Assange. I believe the next tranche of his documents pertain to the Clinton Foundation, but there’s no telling what the October surprise may be.” Four days later, during an interview, he again said he had been in touch with Assange, but added that he was “not at liberty to discuss what I have.” In two interviews on August 16, he again boasted about communications with Assange via a “mutual acquaintance who is a fine gentleman.” On August 21, he correctly predicted the leak of the Clinton-campaign chairman John Podesta’s emails, tweeting, “Trust me, it will soon [be] Podesta’s time in the barrel.” On August 23, on Credico’s radio show, Stone said, “We have a mutual friend, somebody we both trust, and therefore I am a recipient of pretty good information.” He twice tweeted semi-cryptic teases in the days before an October 7 WikiLeaks dump, too.

During the same period, Trump was denying that he had any knowledge of what WikiLeaks was doing, while at the same time praising WikiLeaks extensively. “You know, they like to say every time WikiLeaks comes out, they say this is a conspiracy between Donald Trump and Russia,” he said in Kinston, North Carolina, in October 2016. “Give me a break.”

But it was widely known that Stone was a friend of Trump’s, and Stone boasted openly about staying in touch with the candidate. Anyone paying close attention to public information could surmise that Stone was feeding information from WikiLeaks to the Trump campaign and possibly to Trump himself.

Implausible deniability paired with incriminating public statements was a common theme for the Trump campaign with regard to Russia. The country is a spectral presence in the latest Mueller indictment. In a July 2018 indictment, Mueller laid out evidence for how Russian-government agents hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and Podesta and provided them to WikiLeaks. Friday’s filing shows how WikiLeaks communicated to the Trump campaign. There’s still no public evidence that bridges the gap directly from the Trump campaign to Russia on the email dumps.

Read: Mueller just uncovered a core Russian conspiracy

Yet even at the time, it was widely held that Russia was responsible for the hacking. A private contractor hired by the DNC had blamed Russia. By the end of the campaign, Trump was also receiving briefings from U.S. intelligence pinning the attacks on Russia. Despite this, Trump continued to equivocate about blame for the hacks, suggesting it could have been China or “somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds.” Even if Trump officials hadn’t been told directly by WikiLeaks, via Stone, that the emails came from Russia, they should have known. (WikiLeaks continues to deny that Russia was its source.)

Trump was publicly courting Russia in plenty of other ways, too. He repeatedly praised President Vladimir Putin on the campaign trail and discussed the benefits of a stronger Russo-American relationship. He downplayed the importance of Russia’s annexation of Crimea from Ukraine, suggesting he wouldn’t object as president. He hired Paul Manafort, who was widely known to be close to the Kremlin.

The most dramatic example of Trump communicating publicly with the Russians came in July 2016. On July 21, the Republican National Convention concluded. On July 22, WikiLeaks began releasing emails. In response to that, the “senior Trump Campaign official” was directed to get in touch with Stone to set up the back channel. On July 27, Trump held a press conference in which he publicly called on Russia to release emails hacked from Hillary Clinton.

“By the way, if they hacked, they probably have her 33,000 emails. I hope they do. They probably have her 33,000 emails that she lost and deleted. Because you’d see some beauties there,” Trump said. “I will tell you this: Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.”

Trump aides insisted he’d been speaking in jest. If so, Moscow doesn’t seem to have gotten the joke. The same day, Russian hackers first attempted to hack Clinton’s emails.

As the public has learned through the Mueller probe and press reports, there were also extensive contacts between the Trump campaign and Russia that were not public. The aides George Papadopoulos and Carter Page were both in contact with Russian officials. In June 2016, Manafort, Jared Kushner, and Donald Trump Jr. met at Trump Tower with Russian lawyers whom they expected to provide damaging information about the Clinton campaign. (Both sides say no information was actually exchanged.) The Trump Organization, via Michael Cohen, was also in contact with the Russian government about building a tower in Moscow, with plans to give the penthouse to Putin, even as Trump denied having any business in Russia.

Yet so much of the communication between the Trump campaign and Russia occurred in plain sight. Stone boasted about his contacts with both Trump and Assange. Trump puffed Putin up and disputed Russian involvement in hacking. Trump called on Russia to hack Clinton’s emails, and Russians tried to do so the same day.

There turns out to have been a perverse tactical genius to this. The public and the press, conditioned by the Nixon tapes, have searched for a “smoking gun” that would prove that Trump’s behavior was either illegal or worthy of impeachment. Yet because so much of the most shocking behavior happened in public years ago, it can seem like old news. It’s unclear what else Mueller might reveal before his probe concludes, but in the meantime, the smoking guns are sitting out in the open—right where they’ve been since the summer of 2016.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... %3A43%3A53
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:33 pm

I don't think anyone here is calling for clemency for Roger Stone. Or think that Trump is a wonderful leader & statesman. Or think that the government shutdown is anything other than a desperate stunt with horrible real-word consequences. You're actually featuring an article by David "The Axis of Evil" Frum in your sig. I mean, we can all read the media, Washington Bezos Post and MSNBC and all the rest. Your point is basically identical to theirs. Trump is very bad, yes. Very venal, no doubt. Heck, he's even incesty and rapey. But think about the emptiness you will feel after Trump is history and the horror show continues.

The attempt to tar Wikileaks with a Stone connection seems dead on arrival, the Mueller press release seems like a bunch more circumstantial hand-waving. Is it just me or does "Trump is a Russian asset" start to sound like "9/11 was an inside job"? Maybe it's just me.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:41 pm

My sig says

Roger Stone was the man who came up with "The Wall" talking point for Trump to remember to talk about illegal immigration during the 2016 campaign.

Did Frum say that?

Lots of people have

These Messages Show Julian Assange Talked About Seeking Hacked Files From Guccifer 2.0
DMs tie Assange to a Russia-linked hacker — and raise new questions about his Seth Rich conspiracy theory.

Kevin CollierApr 5, 2018, 10:24:05 PM GMT
Kevin Collier
BuzzFeed News Cybersecurity Correspondent

Posted on April 5, 2018, at 3:08 p.m. ET

Jack Taylor / Getty Images
Twitter DMs obtained by BuzzFeed News show that in the summer of 2016, WikiLeaks was working to obtain files from Guccifer 2.0, an online hacktivist persona linked to by Russian military intelligence, the clearest evidence to date of WikiLeaks admitting its pursuit of Guccifer 2.0.

“[P]lease ‘leave,’ their conversation with them and us,” WikiLeaks asked journalist Emma Best, who was also negotiating with Guccifer 2.0 for access to what it had teased on its blog as “exclusive access” to hacked Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee files. “[W]e would appreciate it if you did not dump the docs and obviously archive.org will delete them anyway.”

WikiLeaks had mentioned Guccifer 2.0 a single time before, tweeting in June 2016 — five weeks before it released its first dump of Democratic National Committee emails — that the persona had claimed it gave WikiLeaks DNC emails.

But by the time of the DM conversation with Best, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange had shifted the story of how WikiLeaks acquired those emails, giving repeated TV interviews that floated Seth Rich, a Democratic staffer who had been murdered in what police concluded was a botched robbery, as his real source.

The messages between Assange and Best, a freelance national security journalist and online archivist, are the starkest proof yet that Assange knew a likely Russian government hacker had the Democrat leaks he wanted. And they reveal the deliberate bad faith with which Assange fed the groundless claims that Rich was his source, even as he knew the documents’ origin.

Best told BuzzFeed News she first reached out to Guccifer 2.0 in August 2016 after it posted on its WordPress account a call for journalists who wanted its files. “I sent them a Direct Message and referred to that, asking what they had in mind,” Best told BuzzFeed News over Signal. Best has experience posting large data sets, and wondered if she could host the files on archive.org, a nonprofit digital library.

But Guccifer 2.0 had another idea. “[I] gonna send a large trove to wikileaks,” it said. Best, who had DMed with WikiLeaks before, relayed that message to WikiLeaks in a direct message on Twitter. Neither party conveyed to her whether they had interacted together before.

“I told them that Guccifer 2.0 was considering giving me at least part of the cache, which is when they asked me to be their ‘agent,’ which they said I would get ‘credit’ for,” Best said. She didn’t agree to act as Assange’s agent, she said, but stopped messaging with Guccifer 2.0.

WikiLeaks was adamant in its communications with Best that it didn't want anyone else to leak the files.

“[T]hese other media groups are very likely to take a stupid initial angle,” WikiLeaks said in one message sent Aug. 12 at 9:14 p.m., adding that other news outlets would focus less on the content of the leaks than how they came to be. “‘We don’t know if its true. Possibly russians who knows blah blah blah.’”

WikiLeaks’s pitch worked. “I dropped the matter with both parties and never received or passed on any exclusive G2, DNC, Podesta, etc. documents,” Best said.

Less than an hour after WikiLeaks’s last message to Best, Guccifer 2.0 tweeted that it had handed those documents over.

Who was in control of the WikiLeaks Twitter account cannot be known with certainty. But Assange is widely considered to be the primary user of the @WikiLeaks Twitter handle, and Best believed her chats with that handle “were with him or his proxy.”

Best said she deleted all her direct messages after noticing someone was trying to hack her Twitter account, but recently found the email notifications that users receive when they get a DM on Twitter. A lawyer for WikiLeaks did not respond to a request for comment.

The following is the entirety of WikiLeaks’s messages to Best that night, according to the emails she provided. All times are ET. (Twitter does not send a user copies of their own messages, so the contents Best provided are one-sided.)

8:43 p.m.: please “leave” their conversation with them and us

8:43 p.m.: we would appreciate it if you did not dump the docs and obviously archive.org will delete them anyway

9:12 p.m.: Impact is very substantially reduced if the "news" of a release doesn't co-incide with the ability to respond to the news by searching

9:13 p.m.: non-searchable dumps are just channeled into a few orgs with technical resources. then others won't touch them because they perceive that the cherries have all been picked by techdirt or whatever.

9:14 p.m.: and these other media groups are very likely to take a stupid initial angle

9:15 p.m.: “We don’t know if its true. Possibly russians who knows blah blah blah” because they don’t properly verify prior to publication and are scared because they’re not us, contaminating the entire release

9:18 p.m.: in that regretable event, from our perspective, please just act as our agent we can ensure you get the right credit, cross promotion etc.

Before Guccifer 2.0 began speaking with Best, the account had repeatedly claimed to be Assange’s source, though it was a one-sided relationship. On June 15, more than a month before WikiLeaks published its first of two batches of Democratic emails, the persona wrote in an email to the Smoking Gun that it had “thousands of files and mails” that it already “gave to Wikileaks.” When WikiLeaks released its first batch of Democrats’ emails in the 2016 campaign, the “DNC Leaks,” Guccifer 2.0 claimed to be the source.

But Assange chose, in television interviews both immediately before and after his conversation with Best, to not publicly bring up Guccifer 2.0, and instead to tease the conspiracy theory that Seth Rich, the Democratic National Committee staffer whose murder spawned conspiracy theories, could be the source for his leaks.

The Seth Rich conspiracy held, in essence, that Rich, a DNC staffer who supported Bernie Sanders, grew disillusioned with the party after Hillary Clinton won the nomination, stole emails to give to WikiLeaks, and was killed for it.

The theory didn't account for how a regular staffer would have had access to Clinton campaign manager John Podesta’s email account, which WikiLeaks released in October, or files stored on the DCCC’s server, which Guccifer 2.0 released slowly over the summer on its WordPress account and in emails to reporters. Nor did it account for why the NSA, FBI, and CIA, as well as a number of US and foreign private threat intelligence companies, would each conclude there was sufficient evidence that the GRU, Russia’s military intelligence arm, had indeed hacked those targets.

Rich's murder, two weeks after Assange first began leaking the hacked DNC documents, was likely the result of a robbery attempt gone bad, police concluded. But the conspiracy theory was spread quickly by alt-right social media figures and conservative news sites, and lasted far beyond the election, with people like Fox News commentator Sean Hannity talking about it for months after Trump took office.

Rich's parents have since sued Fox News over “the pain and anguish that comes from seeing your murdered son's life and legacy treated as a mere political football.” His brother Aaron has sued two other right-wing commentators who pushed the theory that Aaron aided his brother and illegally helped cover it up. Fox declined to comment on the legal action, but noted it has retracted the story and that Hannity announced in May 2017 that he would stop coverage of the hoax out of respect for Rich's family.

Three days before the conversation with Best, Assange brought up Rich unprompted during an appearance via livestream on Netherlands' Nieuwsuur, a nightly public news broadcast: “Whistleblowers go to significant efforts to get us material, at often very significant risks,” he said. “There's a 27-year-old that works for the DNC who was shot in the back, murdered, just a few weeks ago for unknown reasons, as he was walking down the street in Washington,” he said.

When host Eelco Bosch van Rosenthal echoed what DC police had concluded, that Rich’s death was a botched robbery, Assange replied, “No, there’s no findings.”

That same day, the WikiLeaks Twitter account announced it would offer a reward for information leading to the conviction of Rich's killer.

In those interviews, despite privately angling for Guccifer 2.0’s files, Assange continued to push the Seth Rich story. Two weeks after the conversation with Best, Assange appeared on Fox News, and while he didn’t claim Rich was murdered over the leaks, he refused to deny it either, and made no mention of any other source.

“If there’s any question about a source of Wikileaks being threatened, people can be assured that this organization will go after anyone who may have been involved in some kind of attempt to coerce or possibly kill a potential source,” Assange said.

“I know you don't want to reveal your source, but it certainly sounds like you're suggesting a man who leaked information to WikiLeaks was then murdered,” said host Megyn Kelly.

“If there's someone who's potentially connected to our publications and that person is then murdered in suspicious circumstances, it doesn't necessarily mean that the two are connected. But that type of allegation is very serious and it's taken very seriously by us,” Assange replied. Since then, WikiLeaks has tweeted numerous times about the theory, never disputing it.

Beyond the June 2016 tweet, Assange made no mention of Guccifer 2.0. As with previous misdirections, hinting that Rich was responsible gave WikiLeaks a means of not implicating the Russian government.

WikiLeaks has been caught covering for Russia at least twice before, both in the summer of 2016, when it declined to publish a huge cache of Russian government data, and in its 2012 exclusion, in its published “Syria Files,” of a $2.4 billion transaction from the Central Bank of Syria to the VTB Bank in Russia. In September, it finally published 35 files from a private Russian intelligence company, but most of them were already public and of little news value, leading experts to allege that was a decision to quiet criticism that WikiLeaks was too friendly to Russia.

Details about the true identity of Guccifer 2.0 are still coming to light. But in many ways, it was obvious from the start.

Guccifer 2.0 first appeared online on June 15, exactly one day after the Washington Post broke the story that the DNC had been hacked and that Russia’s military intelligence agency was behind it. Guccifer 2.0 claimed to be Romanian, but didn’t understand the language. It used a shady Russian VPN service that gave it access to IP addresses that weren’t commercially available. Despite having files from congressional races all over the country, it prioritized leaks of swing states.

In a joint report released after the election, in January 2017, the US’s top intelligence agencies announced that “We assess with high confidence that the GRU relayed material it acquired from the DNC and senior Democratic officials to WikiLeaks. Moscow most likely chose WikiLeaks because of its self-proclaimed reputation for authenticity.” The GRU, the report said, “used the Guccifer 2.0 persona.”

Last month, the Daily Beast reported that either Twitter or WordPress noticed at least once that someone logged into the Guccifer 2.0 account without turning on a VPN, revealing an IP address belonging to the GRU in Moscow.

The files that Guccifer 2.0 published on its WordPress account would later appear in both of WikiLeaks's major drops during the 2016 election: the DNC Email Archive and the Podesta Emails dumps.

In between those releases, on Aug. 12, 2016, it was clear from those messages to Best that the WikiLeaks Twitter account knew that Guccifer 2.0 was the source of hacked Democratic documents.

WikiLeaks’s formal policy is to never publicly identify a source of its leaks, and Assange still refers to Chelsea Manning, the whistleblower who has admitted and spent years in prison for giving WikiLeaks Army Intelligence documents, as an “alleged source.” He never mentioned Guccifer 2.0 or any other party as a potential source in those interviews.

With the exception of one final post, in which it shot back at the joint US intelligence report that detailed the Russian hacking campaign, Guccifer 2.0 went silent after Trump was elected.

CORRECTION:

Material posted on Guccifer 2.0's blog later appeared in each of WikiLeaks's major dumps during the 2016 election. An earlier version stated that was only true of the Podesta Files.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/ke ... ssion=true

Decades of Dirty Tricks Finally Catch Up to Roger Stone

Trump’s longtime advisor said after appearing in federal court, “The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”

Natasha Bertrand is a staff writer at The Atlantic, where she covers national security and the intelligence community.
3:42 PM ET

Roger Stone reacts as he walks to microphones after his appearance at Federal Court in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S., January 25, 2019.Joe Skipper / Reuters
He relished his late-night phone calls with Donald Trump in 2016. He was in regular touch with a senior Trump campaign official about WikiLeaks’ plans to destroy Trump’s foe, Hillary Clinton. And now Roger Stone, the longtime adviser to Trump and a self-proclaimed “dirty trickster” has met his reckoning. Just before 6 a.m. on Friday, federal agents wielding guns and ballistic vests arrested Stone, who was then indicted on seven felony counts by Trump’s other biggest foe—Special Counsel Robert Mueller. Stone said on Friday that he intends to fight the charges and go to trial.

Throughout his decades-long career operating in Republican circles, Stone, who has a likeness of Richard Nixon tattooed on his back, has taken pride in mastering the "black arts" of politics. He’s been accused of threatening political opponents, has been sued for defamation, and regularly spreads conspiracy theories about JFK's assassination and Hillary Clinton's infidelity. He served as Trump’s Washington lobbyist in the late 1990s and early 2000s and has been encouraging him to run for president for over a decade. Though he wasn’t initially seen as an integral part of Trump’s campaign, he kept hovering and now, the dirty tricks have finally caught up with him.

When asked why he lives in Miami in a 2008 New Yorker profile, Stone offered a Somerset Maugham quote: “It’s a sunny place for shady people. I fit right in.”

The indictment shows the extent of Stone’s scheming to find emails damaging to Clinton, to communicate those plans to Trump’s campaign team, and to prevent a key witness from disclosing his efforts to the FBI, calling him a “rat”.

“During the summer of 2016, Stone spoke to senior Trump Campaign officials about” WikiLeaks “and information it might have had that would be damaging to the Clinton Campaign,” reads Mueller’s indictment. “Stone was contacted by senior Trump Campaign officials to inquire about future releases by” WikiLeaks.

As more and more evidence emerged of his alleged wrongdoing, Stone remained defiant, taking to Instagram regularly to proclaim his innocence, attacking critics, requesting donations for his legal defense fund, and consistently swearing that he would never turn on Trump. He stuck to that on Friday, telling professional conspiracy theorist Alex Jones in an interview shortly before his appearance outside the Fort Lauderdale, Florida federal courthouse that he would never “bear false witness against the president,” and that the charges brought against him were “thin” and “bogus.”

Read: A Brief History of Roger Stone

By the time Stone began seeking out more WikiLeaks releases in late July 2016, it had already been reported that Russia was behind the theft of Democratic emails released by WikiLeaks on the eve of the Democratic National Convention. Mueller, who has been investigating a potential conspiracy between the Trump campaign and Russia since May 2017, has not accused Stone of having any improper contacts with Russian nationals in pursuit of the Clinton emails. But like former national security adviser Michael Flynn, former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos, and former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen before him, Stone’s efforts to conceal his Russia-related activities during the 2016 election were his downfall.

In May 2016, Stone met with a Russian national, Henry Greenberg, on the promise of obtaining Clinton dirt, and exchanged private Twitter messages with a user known as Guccifer 2.0 who claimed to have “penetrated Clinton’s and other Democrats’ mail servers” but was later characterized by U.S. officials as a front for Russian military intelligence. Stone also said several times in 2016 that he was directly in touch with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, but he began to walk those claims back in early 2017, drawing more scrutiny from congressional and federal investigators and ensnaring several of his contacts in the process.

“I had no contact with Assange,” Stone told ABC last month, despite the fact that he exchanged private messages with WikiLeaks on Twitter in October 2016. He also said he would never turn on the president. “There’s no circumstance under which I would testify against the president, because I’d have to bear false witness against him,” Stone said. “I’d have to make things up, and I’m not going to do that.” Trump appeared to appreciate that. “Nice to know that some people still have ‘guts!’” he tweeted in response. Mueller first drew a line directly between Stone and Trump in a draft court document made public in November. In that document, Mueller said Stone was understood to be in regular contact with “then-candidate Donald J. Trump” in 2016—a detail that reportedly unnerved Trump’s legal team.

One of the biggest unanswered questions is whether Stone and the Trump campaign coordinated WikiLeaks’ release of emails stolen from Clinton’s campaign chairman John Podesta to distract from the damaging Access Hollywood tape, which showed Trump making vulgar comments about women. The emails were dumped just minutes after the tape was released on October 7, 2016, and the Stone indictment reveals a tantalizing new detail: Shortly after the Podesta emails were released, a Trump campaign associate texted Stone, “well done.” Stone then took credit for having correctly predicted the “October surprise,” according to Mueller. (Stone was not the only member of Trump’s campaign communicating with WikiLeaks during the election. WikiLeaks also exchanged private Twitter messages with Donald Trump Jr., who provided the correspondence to congressional investigators. WikiLeaks continued to message Trump Jr. through July 2017.)

Read: The Smoking Guns Are Sitting Out in the Open

Stone’s testimony before the House Intelligence Committee in September 2017, may have been what ultimately sealed his fate. According to Mueller, Stone “made deliberately false and misleading statements to the committee concerning, among other things, his possession of documents pertinent” to the committee’s investigation and his communications with the Trump campaign about WikiLeaks.

Stone also appeared to lie about who his key backchannel to Assange was. The indictment details texts Stone wrote in late July 2016 to Jerome Corsi, a right-wing writer, to “Get to Assange at Ecuadorian Embassy in London and get the pending WikiLeaks emails.” Days later Corsi replies with some news in another email, according to the Stone indictment: “Word is friend in Embassy plans 2 more dumps. One shortly after I’m back. 2nd in Oct. Impact planned to be very damaging.”

The interactions between Stone and Corsi appear to strengthen New York radio host, Randy Credico’s denials that he was the backchannel. They also reveal that Stone wasn’t just looking for confirmation that Assange had the goods, as he told the panel in his supplemental statement. He was actively seeking out more stolen emails.

But Stone never disclosed his conversations with Corsi to the House Intelligence Committee, according to Mueller, and intimidated Credico into cooperating with his version of events. “I’m not talking to the FBI and if your smart you won’t either.” When Credico told Stone that he should have just been “honest” with the House Intelligence Committee rather than opening himself up to perjury charges, Stone replied: “You are so full of [expletive]. You got nothing.” Stone didn’t stop there. In April 2018, he wrote to Credico: “You are a rat,” according to text messages obtained by Mueller. “A stoolie. You backstab your friends-run your mouth my lawyers are dying Rip you to shreds.” Stone also threatened to take Credico’s dog away from him, and said: “Prepare to die.”

Stone also allegedly lied to the committee about having emails related to WikiLeaks and Assange. White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Stone’s indictment “this has nothing to do with the president, and certainly nothing to do with the White House.”

The charges against Stone include obstruction, making false statements to Congress and witness tampering. If Stone is worried, he's not showing it. “The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about,” he told reporters on the steps of the courthouse on Friday, smiling as they shouted questions at him and onlookers chanted “lock him up.” He flashed a “V” for victory sign a la his former mentor Richard Nixon before walking back into the courthouse.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... er/581338/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Alex Jones Says Roger Stone Contacted WikiLeaks at Jones’ Behest While Seeking Infowars Job

By Jared Holt | January 25, 2019 4:47 pm
Alex Jones, the founder of Infowars, said in a December episode of “The Alex Jones Show” that Roger Stone, a former Trump campaign adviser and longtime friend of President Donald Trump, had originally attempted contacting WikiLeaks as part of his audition for a job at Infowars.

Stone was arrested at his Florida home this morning following a grand jury indictment on one count of obstruction, one count of witness tampering, and five counts of providing false statements. The indictment states that Stone lied to prosecutors about his communications with Trump campaign officials regarding the release of John Podesta’s hacked emails by WikiLeaks during the summer before the 2016 election.

Jones hosted Stone on the Christmas Eve edition of his show last year to comment on his entanglement in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. During Stone’s appearance, Jones recounted Stone asking him for a job at Infowars (which he would later receive) after he was banned from Fox News in 2016. Jones said on air that during that conversation, he asked Stone to get him in touch with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

“I said, ‘You know, Roger, you’re a good guy on the show and I promote your website and I sell your book—and that’s good; I don’t have a lot of extra money laying around—but I said, ‘If you can get me Julian Assange, because you’ve been talking about your intermediary … and you go, ‘Well, I’ll try. I know this talk show host that knows him,” Jones said. “I mean, I’m not trying to [be], like, ‘oh, you want this job from me’—it’s just the story of what happened.”
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/alex ... owars-job/

Zoe Tillman

Remember how there was an effort to get EDVA to unseal any criminal records (if they exist) about Julian Assange? The judge hasn't ruled yet, and today the Reporters Committee filed notice alerting the judge to Roger Stone's indictment

THINGS NOT SAID IN ROGER STONE’S INDICTMENT: “TRUMP DIRECTED” AND OTHER MORE DAMNING DETAILS

January 25, 2019/3 Comments/in emptywheel /by empty wheel

I’m a leading purveyor of the theory that Robert Mueller is producing his mythical “report” via one after another speaking indictments. That said, it has always been true that some of the most interesting parts of his indictments involved what didn’t get said. That’s especially true in today’s Roger Stone indictment. Before I explain what didn’t get said, let me review what got said. The indictment shows that Stone was asked to figure out what emails on Hillary Julian Assange had, and using at least Jerome Corsi and Randy Credico as go-betweens, Stone did so, providing information (most explicitly) to Trump campaign manager Steve Bannon. When Congress asked Stone about all this, he lied, first hiding any of his go-betweens, and then seemingly using Randy Credico to hide Jerome Corsi. Mueller provides a lot of the communications between Stone and his go-betweens and the communications from October 2016, as well as some of the ones from the cover-up period.

But he doesn’t provide us everything.

I have argued that the early morning raid, not to mention the larding on of charges, suggest this is an effort to get Stone to flip, both against Jerome Corsi (which is why Meuller locked in testimony from Corsi’s son-in-law yesterday) and Trump himself.

With that in mind, here are the things that Mueller doesn’t say.

WITH WHOM — BESIDES CAMPAIGN MANAGER STEVE BANNON — AT THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN DID ROGER STONE SPEAK

The word “campaign” shows up 52 times in Stone’s indictment, of which (by my count) 7 are generic references, 16 are to Hillary’s campaign or a descriptor for John Podesta, and 29 are to Trump’s campaign or associates of it. The indictment describes Stone’s discussions with people on the campaign over and over. While a number of those are to identified individuals — most notably Steve Bannon — a number of those are generic, including the following references.

During the summer of 2016, STONE spoke to senior Trump Campaign officials about Organization 1 and information it might have had that would be damaging to the Clinton Campaign. STONE was contacted by senior Trump Campaign officials to inquire about future releases by Organization 1.

[snip]

STONE also continued to communicate with members of the Trump Campaign about Organization 1 and its intended future releases.

[snip]

By in or around June and July 2016, STONE informed senior Trump Campaign officials that he had information indicating Organization 1 had documents whose release would be damaging to the Clinton Campaign.

[snip]

STONE thereafter told the Trump Campaign about potential future releases of damaging material by Organization 1.

It does so in an indictment that alleges (correctly, obviously) that one of Stone’s lies to the House Intelligence Committee that was material was whom he was speaking with on the campaign. The description of that lie cites the October 4 Bannon communication and the “supporter” (who may be Sam Nunberg). But it still leaves who else he spoke with unstated.

STONE’s False and Misleading Testimony About Communications with the Trump Campaign

35. During his HPSCI testimony, STONE was asked, “did you discuss your conversations with the intermediary with anyone involved in the Trump campaign?” STONE falsely and misleadingly answered, “I did not.” In truth and in fact, and as described above, STONE spoke to multiple individuals involved in the Trump Campaign about what he claimed to have learned from his intermediary to Organization 1, including the following:

a. On multiple occasions, STONE told senior Trump Campaign officials about materials possessed by Organization 1 and the timing of future releases.

And, of course, there’s this reference, which uses the word “directed” exactly a week after BuzzFeed got pilloried for using it about Trump.

After the July 22, 2016 release of stolen DNC emails by Organization 1, a senior Trump Campaign official was directed to contact STONE about any additional releases and what other damaging information Organization 1 had regarding the Clinton Campaign.

Mind you, this indictment had to have been approved in advance by Big Dick Toilet Salesman Matt Whitaker, and the last time he permitted prosecutors to name Individual-1 in an indictment, he got chewed out for it.

So maybe Mueller is not saying who else on the Trump campaign Stone was talking to (though we know he had frequent calls with Trump all through the campaign) to hide what else he knows. Maybe the Big Dick Toilet Salesman wouldn’t let Mueller lay this out (though I doubt that’s the case). Or maybe Mueller is just trying to avoid a second week in a row featuring headlines about what Trump “directed” his associates to do as part of the Russian conspiracy.

CORSI’S (AND POSSIBLY CREDICO’S) ROLE IN THE CONSPIRACY

As I noted above, Mueller got aggressive with Stone to get him to flip on others. Obviously, the big prize is Trump. But there’s space for Stone to take his revenge on Jerome Corsi (and possibly even Randy Credico).

I suspect that Credico is not in any danger here. That said, he is described as a potential co-conspirator, Person 2, and did clearly discuss a conspiracy to obstruct HPSCI’s investigation. “‘Stonewall it. Plead the fifth. Anything to save the plan’ . . . Richard Nixon,” Stone wrote as he tried to persuade Credico not to testify to HPSCI.

There’s just one detail that makes me wonder if Credico was not fully truthful with Mueller. When Credico discussed Stone’s September request that he ask Assange about emails pertaining to Hillary’s efforts to undermine a Libyan peace effort with WSJ last year, he denied he had sent the request to either Assange or his lawyer Margaret Kunstler.

“Please ask Assange for any State or HRC e-mail from August 10 to August 30–particularly on August 20, 2011,” Mr. Stone wrote to Randy Credico, a New York radio personality who had interviewed Mr. Assange several weeks earlier. Mr. Stone, a longtime confidant of Donald Trump, had no formal role in his campaign at the time.

Mr. Credico initially responded to Mr. Stone that what he was requesting would be on WikiLeaks’ website if it existed, according to an email reviewed by the Journal. Mr. Stone, the emails show, replied: “Why do we assume WikiLeaks has released everything they have ???”

In another email, Mr. Credico then asked Mr. Stone to give him a “little bit of time,” saying he thought Mr. Assange might appear on his radio show the next day. A few hours later, Mr. Credico wrote: “That batch probably coming out in the next drop…I can’t ask them favors every other day .I asked one of his lawyers…they have major legal headaches riggt now..relax.”

Mr. Credico said in an interview with the Journal that he never passed the message on to Mr. Assange or his lawyers, but “got tired” of Mr. Stone “bothering” him, and so told Mr. Stone he had passed along the message.

The indictment says he in fact did forward the request to Kunstler.

On or about September 20, 2016, Person 2 forwarded the request to a friend who was an attorney with the ability to contact the head of Organization 1. Person 2 blind-copied STONE on the forwarded email.

That said, the indictment clearly remains silent about a lot of the details Mueller has incriminating Corsi in a cover-up (who, remember, prosecutors threatened to charge in a conspiracy to suborn perjury with respect to Stone’s testimony, and whose son-in-law Mueller locked into testimony before this indictment). The indictment includes this reference to a November discussion between Stone and Corsi.

On or about November 30, 2017, STONE asked Person 1 to write publicly about Person 2. Person 1 responded, “Are you sure you want to make something out of this now? Why not wait to see what [Person 2] does. You may be defending yourself too much—raising new questions that will fuel new inquiries. This may be a time to say less, not more.” STONE responded by telling Person 1 that Person 2 “will take the 5th—but let’s hold a day.”

But it remains silent on the report that Stone asked Corsi to write in August 2016 to establish a cover story, and it remains silent on whether Stone paid Corsi hush payments to stay silent after that.

FARAGE AND MALLOCH AND ANY OTHER GO-BETWEENS

The indictment names Ted Malloch, though not as a co-conspirator.

On or about the same day, Person 1 forwarded STONE’s email to an associate who lived in the United Kingdom and was a supporter of the Trump Campaign.

[snip]

The body of the email read in part that Person 1’s associate in the United Kingdom “should see [the head of Organization 1].”

It doesn’t, however, put the Malloch references into context.

For example, it doesn’t reveal that Stone — around the time someone “was directed” to get Stone to find out what WikiLeaks had — Stone and Alex Jones met with Nigel Farage at the RNC, which ultimately led to Farage joining Trump at a campaign event.

One night during the convention, Farage was introduced to Trump’s longtime adviser, the infamous political trickster, Roger Stone, at an Italian restaurant in The Flats district of Cleveland, according to both men.

Stone, who was accompanied that night by the Internet radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, said Farage’s main goal appeared to be to get a meeting with Trump.

The next day, Stone said, he tried to help by calling his former business partner, Paul Manafort – then Trump’s campaign chairman – and suggested that the Republican nominee get together with Farage. Manafort’s response was something along the lines of, “I’ll put a good word in,” Stone recalled.

Then, Stone met Ted Malloch — with Corsi — for dinner in NYC.

Asked about the nature of his relationship with Malloch, Stone said he did not know the other man well. He initially said he met Malloch three times but later said he recalled only two meetings with him.

Stone’s and Malloch’s first meeting was at a New York restaurant, Strip House, during the 2016 campaign. The two men dined with Jerome Corsi, a far-right political commentator and conspiracy theorist, Stone said.

Stone said his conversation with Malloch and Corsi at dinner was friendly but not memorable, and that they discussed “Brexit and globalism.” He added that they never discussed WikiLeaks, Assange, or Russia.

Stone, at least, is very sketchy about the timing of this, though it may actually precede when Stone asks Corsi to reach out to Malloch (indeed, might be the very reason he thought Corsi could get to Assange via Malloch).

That led to Farage’s campaign appearance with Trump on August 23.

Note, too, that the Stone indictment actually doesn’t say that Corsi is the go-between that Stone was hiding when he instead claimed Credico was his link to Assange. Indeed, of that go-between, he says he had only phone contact (though as I’ll write in a follow-up, that may have been for other reasons).

Particularly given Stone’s move to begin setting up a cover-story in August 2016, I’m not yet convinced we know who Stone’s real go-between is (and I’m still fairly certain that he and possible Corsi had actual Podesta emails by then). He could have been working with Malloch directly. Or it could be someone else entirely.

Whoever it is, nothing in the Stone indictment tells us that for sure.

THE ASSANGE PARDON

The Stone indictment is also silent about something that they have evidence — in the form of texts between Credico and Stone, surely among other things — that Stone tried to get Assange a pardon early last year.

In early January, Roger Stone, the longtime Republican operative and adviser to Donald Trump, sent a text message to an associate stating that he was actively seeking a presidential pardon for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange—and felt optimistic about his chances. “I am working with others to get JA a blanket pardon,” Stone wrote, in a January 6 exchange of text messages obtained by Mother Jones. “It’s very real and very possible. Don’t fuck it up.” Thirty-five minutes later, Stone added, “Something very big about to go down.”

The recipient of the messages was Randy Credico, a New York-based comedian and left-leaning political activist whom Stone has identified as his back channel to WikiLeaks during the 2016 campaign—a claim Credico strongly denies. During the election, Stone, a political provocateur who got his start working for Richard Nixon’s presidential campaign, made statements that suggested he had knowledge of WikiLeaks’ plans to publish emails stolen from Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, John Podesta, and other Democrats, and his interactions with WikiLeaks have become an intense focus of special counsel Robert Mueller’s ongoing investigation into Russian election interference. As Mueller’s team zeroes in on Stone, they have examined his push for an Assange pardon—which could be seen as an attempt to interfere with the Russia probe—and have questioned at least one of Stone’s associates about the effort.

Particularly given that any pardon would have had to involve the one guy in the United States who can pardon Assange, it seems relevant to Mueller’s investigation. And yet it doesn’t show up in this indictment.

That’s something, then, that Stone could walk Mueller through as an effort to get rid of the 20-year witness tampering charge he faces.

RUSSIA

Finally, the indictment remains mostly silent about Russia, particularly Roger Stone’s 180-turn on August 1 to claim that Russia may not have been behind the hack of the DNC. That’s all the more interesting given the way the indictment lays out the attribution to Russia made in mid-June.

On or about June 14, 2016, the DNC—through Company 1—publicly announced that it had been hacked by Russian government actors.

And then included Stone’s denial that Russia had hacked the DNC in his statement before HPSCI.

“These hearings are largely based on a yet unproven allegation that the Russian state is responsible for the hacking of the DNC and [the Clinton Campaign chairman] and the transfer of that information to [Organization 1].”

The indictment makes these two nods to attribution even as (as a number of people have observed) in their motion to seal Stone’s indictment, prosecutors deemed Stone’s indictment to be related to the GRU indictment, and includes one of the DC AUSAs also on the Internet Research Agency case, Jonathan Kravis.

Remember, the GRU indictment describes (but doesn’t charge) Stone’s communications with Guccifer 2.0.

On or about August 15, 2016, the Conspirators, posing as Guccifer 2.0, wrote to a person who wasin regular contact with senior members of the presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump, “thank u for writing back . . . do u find anyt[h]ing interesting in the docs i posted?” On or about August 17, 2016, the Conspirators added, “please tell me if i can help u anyhow . . . it would be a great pleasure to me.” On or about September 9, 2016, the Conspirators, again posing as Guccifer 2.0, referred to a stolen DCCC document posted online and asked the person, “what do u think of the info on the turnout model for the democrats entire presidential campaign.” The person responded, “[p]retty standard.”

So prosecutors are saying that Stone’s crimes are more closely related to the actual Russian hack (which, remember, continued into September, after Stone deemed the DCCC analytics Guccifer 2.0 released to be “standard”) than they are to Flynn or Manafort or Papadopoulos or anyone else’s indictments.

Mind you, WikiLeaks appears as an unindicted co-conspirator in both the Stone and the GRU indictments, which may explain the connection.

But for some reason, Mueller thinks it important to note in Stone’s indictment that he pretended to believe Russia didn’t hack the DNC long after the hack had been attributed, without ever once mentioning that he had also spoken with the GRU persona dumping files.
https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/01/25/t ... g-details/

Caroline Orr

Per the indictment: On or about October 4, 2016, Roger Stone received an email from a high-ranking Trump Campaign official asking about the status of future releases by WikiLeaks. Roger Stone replied that the head of WikiLeaks would release "a load every week going forward."

(!!) Per the indictment: On or about Oct 7, 2016, WikiLeaks released the first set of emails stolen from the Clinton Campaign chairman. Shortly after the release, an associate of the high-ranking Trump Campaign official sent a text message to Roger Stone that read "well done."
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk

Polly Sigh

The $150K Roger Stone mentioned in his Oct 4, 2016 email to Steve Bannon ["Tell Rebecca <Mercer> to send us $$$"] matches the $150K in an email of now-deceased GOP operative Peter Smith to fund "Russian scholarship students" [aka Clinton Email Reconnaissance Initiative].

10/3/16 10:24 A.M. - Roger Stone tweets about Wikileaks

1:25 P.M. - 3:03 P.M. - Trump Jr. and WikiLeaks exchange more private messages on Twitter

Cosplaying Supervillain Roger Stone Meets Robert Mueller’s Real-Life Feds

Stone lied to the Special Counsel because he trusted WhatsApp, which is a grandpa mistake of the first order.

01.25.19 4:40 PM ET
They were two ways Roger Stone’s morning arrest could have played out.

The first scenario is the one Roger rehearsed in his mind a hundred times; his attorney would have been notified well in advance, giving America’s number one parody cartoon supervillain time to assemble some typically foppish confection: perhaps a purple morning coat, spats, hand-tooled lemur-skin calf boots, a jaunty top hat, a monocle, and an exotic cravat tied in a knot typically used only in vigorous German fesselspiele games. He would stride toward the waiting federales with a louche swagger, his bejeweled walking stick in hand. He would smile for the assembled cameras and toss off some bon mot that communicated both searing contempt and breezy insouciance.

Instead, a second, real-world scenario obtained. A frowzy, shocked Roger Stone woke to the sound of “FBI, WARRANT! OPEN THE DOOR!” in the predawn hours. The FBI may not be getting paid, by that didn’t stop them from rolling hard on Stone’s lair, arresting him, and booking him into the Broward County jail. Stern but polite FBI agents arrested Stone on seven counts of lying to Congress and Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

Two things must have rankled Stone most; first, a CNN stringer was on the scene to a provide video of the raid. Second, Stone appeared in court handcuffed and shackled clad not in one of his usual dandy-lad getups, but rather in a plain blue Polo shirt. Just wait until Roger gets issued prison Crocs and a polyester-blend jumpsuit that doesn’t match his spray tan.

Stone is charged with obstruction, making false statements, and witness tampering. Sorry, Trump fans; one of your heroes is about to either die in prison or flip on your cult leader. These charges, narrowly and surgically crafted, are enough that even a fairly slow jury would send Roger up the river long enough that a 66-year old man faces slim odds of coming out alive. The indictments draw yet another line of communication between Trump’s campaign (and likely Trump personally) and the efforts of Russia to elect Donald Trump, in this case via Stone’s relationship with GRU affiliate Wikileaks. The indictment is full of dumb, damning details.

“The only two people who believe Roger Stone’s bullshit are Roger Stone and that fucking moron Trump.”

— Ray Harding

All of Trump world seems to forget that Mueller has all the receipts, phone records, emails, text messages, metadata, and financial records. Stone lied to the Special Counsel because he trusted WhatsApp, which is a grandpa mistake of the first order. Stone lied in Congress because he believed that the House Republicans would sit on his transcript and he would never be held to account. Those lies met with the hard reality that elections have consequences. Donald Trump incinerated 40 GOP House seats, and so the Democratic majority shared the transcript the GOP had suppressed with Mueller. It wasn’t partisan; they had evidence of Stone committing multiple crimes in the form of lying to Congress.

When your primary line of defense is that “process crimes are not crimes,” you’re in pretty deep legal water, so of course, that’s where the Trump team went at once. The first line of defense from Trump world is the usual “No collusion! Witchhunt!” piffle to which we’ve all become inured. If this is a witch-hunt, Robert Mueller found a couple of our Broward County Voldemort’s horcruxes today.

It was a bad day to be an official or quasi-official spokesperson for Trump. Jay Sekulow and Rudy Giuliani did the usual Jay and Rudy show, to little effect. Sarah Sanders, balefully squinting at the camera, gamely muttered, “This has nothing to do with the President.” Oh, Sarah. That’s like saying sucking down a brace of Filet O’Fish sandwiches thrice daily has nothing to do with Trump’s enormous booty. This has everything to do with Trump, and his legal team’s panic-vomiting tells you how serious it is.

Another good barometer of how scared Trump’s media allies feel on any given day is how much they try to litigate the composition of Mueller’s staff or legal tactics as opposed to the underlying facts. The arrest at Stone’s love shack has become today’s hissy-fit shit-show screaming point by Trump and Stone fanboys like Gateway Pundit Jim Hoft, who ran a headline that captures the Trump-right drama-queen take on the arrest perfectly: “FBI Raid Would Make Gestapo Proud.” Did your eyes just roll? Because my eyes just rolled. The door-knock and the FBI’s handling of Stone was hardly a kinetic entry for a violent felon.

Stone acolyte Jacob Engels, Pizzagate hoaxer Jack Posobiec, greased-ham cosplayer Dan Bongino, Bongino’s handmaiden John Cardillo, and the usual cast of thousands raced to their fainting couches, declaring that the Deep State Gestapo was upon us. Trump Twitter ragebots always ready to scream “Lock her up” have suddenly discovered compassion and a love of due process and delicate treatment for those in the legal system. Several thousand kids in cages down on the border are muttering, “"¿Qué pinga?"

Mueller never sleeps, his targets aren’t getting exonerated no matter how many times the Trump media screams “But her emails!” or “No collusion!” This is one more set of indictments and moves in a mosaic of dread for Trump. It never gets better, Russia always draws closer, and the connections always paint of picture of more malfeasance and connection to Putin’s operation. The “process crimes” are just gravy. Delicious, delicious gravy.

It defies reason that Trump’s sudden, constant mentions of Wikileaks on the campaign trail in 2016 didn’t come from direct conversations with Stone. Trump would have loved the skullduggery aspects of it, the idea that an electoral cheat code would help him bring down Hillary Clinton.

The irony of today is that the weird, bullshit arc of Stone’s long investment in Trump is over today. What must truly sting for Stone is the inevitable process of Trump-world’s denials and distancing; after investing 40 years of his life in Trump, Stone was screwed out of the massive financial payday he expected from the campaign, then frozen out of the massive lobbying windfall that lesser lights like Corey Lewandowski have enjoyed. If he holds the line, he’s of no use to Trump and will be forgotten and dismissed. If (and more likely when) he breaks, he’ll be a traitor, a coffee boy, a ghost in the Trump machine.

Stone was an architect of Trump’s world view, his politics, and his ideological positions, such as they are. Roger was there at Trump’s side when Orange Bull Connor declared Central Park Five were guilty and deserved to be executed. He was at Trump’s side as one of the architects of Birtherism. His toxic brand of dumb ratfuckery for the sake of ratfuckery is the Trump Administration writ large.

Roger survived for decades on his wits, blustering one campaign, interest group, scam PAC, or donor after another on his “I elected Nixon, Reagan, and Bush” line of white-hot horseshit. As I wrote in my book Everything Trump Touches Dies, Stone’s outsize image and reputation were his primary product, not elections or campaign work. As the famous (and sometimes infamous) Ray Harding, then chairman of New York’s Liberal Party, once told me in the late 1990s, “The only two people who believe Roger Stone’s bullshit are Roger Stone and that fucking moron Trump.”

Stone’s post-arraignment press conference was the last gasp of a dying animal. He may posture and strut, playing the showman role to the hilt, but he’s in the barrel now, and unless he wants to die in prison and be buried in a potters’ field wearing a tattered, scratchy polyester blend orange prison jumpsuit, he’ll swallow his considerable pride and cooperate.

As Stone spoke to the press today, the crowd chanted, “Lock him up!” with more than a little glee. Roger, seeming unaware that karma is a cruel, magnificent bitch, walked away from the press conference unable to understand that his time in the barrel is here, and his future is not as a bon vivant and political showman but as just another victim of the Trump curse.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/roger-sto ... -life-feds
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:19 pm

You're wasting your time, Rocketman. Most of the rest of us simply ignore the ONSLAUGHT of the RECYCLED GOOGLE NEWS FEED here in RI, AKA SLAD's output since 2016.

Ignore it, as many of us have been. Can't wait for this Mueller asshole to finally quit the charade and submit his FINAL report, so that this nonsense can finally be over.
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:40 pm

I knew you would make it a threesome

:P

can't make it a party without you showing up

ignore it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you know you can't quit me BS

when the cat's away the mice will play .....meow

I know you also have some free time on your hands now that AD is gone I have been preparing for this

derailing my threads is such a pleasure for you.....be my guest keep posting in them... love that personality... watching the three of you do your thing together is so entertaining

open season on SLaD but in the process this thread will be guarantee to stay on top....have fun that shaming thing is really cute

these are the rules I follow

Please read: guidelines for posting on the RI board
Postby Jeff » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 am
Welcome to the RI board.

While Rigorous Intuition welcomes a range of informed perspectives, it is not intended to be a forum for the re-fighting of elemental human values. It should be assumed that this is a place where the dignity and rights of all people are respected. Members who challenge these rights may be regarded as disruptive, and members who habitually challenge them will be banned.

This is an anti-fascist board. Propagation of fascist, neo-Nazi and "white pride" causes, including sympathetically linking to sites which advocate such, will not be permitted. This includes revisionist histories of the Holocaust.

This is an anti-sexist board. We correctly assume that women, as a group, have been and continue to be the object of oppression based upon their gender. It is expected that members will respect the rights of women to justice and equality in all spheres of life, and to a positive experience of RI. Contending that feminism is a "New World Order plot" will not be permitted.

Posts advocating violence, or espousing hatred of a people based upon race, religion, gender or sexuality, are not permitted.

The charge or insinuation of "disinfo agent" can almost never be proven, and poisons and often ends meaningful discussion. Therefore suggesting a poster is purposefully spreading disinformation is not permitted.

Please refrain from personal attacks, and keep arguments issue-based.

Members can help maintain the health of the board. If you see something that you think needs attention, please pm myself or a moderator with the link, or use the alert button.

Thank you for your civil and thoughtful contributions, and your cooperation in helping to generate more light than heat.

HOW ROGER THE RAT FUCKED HIMSELF

January 25, 2019/27 Comments/in 2016 Presidential Election, Mueller Probe /by emptywheel
After the FBI arrested Roger Stone today, they conducted searches on his homes in Florida and NYC. It will be interesting to see whether and if so how much evidence they found in his homes.

That’s because — in spite of the fact that Stone has been rat-fucking for almost a half century, and in spite of the fact that Stone was willing to risk major prison time as part of a cover-up, Stone utterly fucked himself by keeping incriminating materials around and leaking them out via journalists.

If Ronald Reagan is rolling in his grave today because the Air Traffic Controllers showed that by working collectively they could be more powerful than a President, then Richard Nixon is rolling in his grave today that a guy still branded with his face failed the cover-up so much worse than Nixon himself (Unrelatedly, but hysterically, the Nixon Foundation released a statement today effectively calling Stone a coffee boy).

Consider this passage in his indictment for lying to the House Intelligence Committee:

STONE’s False and Misleading Testimony About His Possession of Documents Pertinent to HPSCI’s Investigation

22. During his HPSCI testimony, STONE was asked, “So you have no emails to anyone concerning the allegations of hacked documents . . . or any discussions you have had with third parties about [the head of Organization 1]? You have no emails, no texts, no documents whatsoever, any kind of that nature?” STONE falsely and misleadingly answered, “That is correct. Not to my knowledge.”

23. In truth and in fact, STONE had sent and received numerous emails and text messages during the 2016 campaign in which he discussed Organization 1, its head, and its possession of hacked emails. At the time of his false testimony, STONE was still in possession of many of these emails and text messages, including:

a. The email from STONE to Person 1 on or about July 25, 2016 that read in part, “Get to [the head of Organization 1] [a]t Ecuadorian Embassy in London and get the pending [Organization 1] emails . . . they deal with Foundation, allegedly.”;

b. The email from STONE to Person 1 on or about July 31, 2016 that said an associate of Person 1 “should see [the head of Organization 1].”;

c. The email from Person 1 to STONE on or about August 2, 2016 that stated in part, “Word is friend in embassy plans 2 more dumps. One shortly after I’m back. 2nd in Oct. Impact planned to be very damaging.”;

d. Dozens of text messages and emails, beginning on or about August 19, 2016 and continuing through the election, between STONE and Person 2 in which they discussed Organization 1 and the head of Organization 1;

e. The email from STONE on or about October 3, 2016 to the supporter involved with the Trump Campaign, which read in part, “Spoke to my friend in London last night. The payload is still coming.”; and

f. The emails on or about October 4, 2016 between STONE and the high-ranking member of the Trump Campaign, including STONE’s statement that Organization 1 would release “a load every week going forward.”

24. By falsely claiming that he had no emails or text messages in his possession that referred to the head of Organization 1, STONE avoided providing a basis for HPSCI to subpoena records in his possession that could have shown that other aspects of his testimony were false and misleading.

To be clear, I’m sure that Mueller has independent basis for his knowledge that, “At the time of his false testimony, STONE was still in possession of many of these emails and text messages,” showing that he talked about what documents Assange had. As I’ve said, I think it highly likely Stone was included among those on whose phones Mueller got a warrant in March of last year. And if he could get a warrant for Stone’s phone, he obviously could get a warrant for Stone’s email (and probably issued preservation orders when he became Special Counsel in May 2017, if FBI hadn’t already done so).

But Mueller would have had proof that Stone had possession — and knowledge of — some of these records even without a warrant. That’s because Stone, in an apparent effort to undermine Mueller’s case, has been slowly leaking them to the press, accelerating last November.

Of those listed here, for example, after Bannon leaked the October 4 email set to the NYT and WaPo, Stone responded with a piece under his own name acknowledging those emails.

I had been told this would come in October for months by my source Randy Credico, whom I identified for the House Intelligence Committee.

[snip]

When Bannon’s minion Matt Boyle asked me if what Assange had was “good” I replied it was, based on Credico’s insistence the material was “devastating,” “bombshell” and would “change the race.” This turned out to be right, although — as I have testified — I never knew the content or source of the Wikileaks disclosures in advance

As for the August 2016 texts with Randy Credico, some days later, Stone leaked them to the Daily Caller, again, using his own name.

Julian Assange has kryptonite on Hillary,” Randy Credico wrote to Stone on Aug. 27, 2016, according to text messages that Stone provided to The Daily Caller News Foundation.

Mueller didn’t need a warrant to obtain the evidence to convict Roger Stone. He has the Daily Caller for that!!

Which raises the question why — other than sloppiness, hubris, or declining rat-fucking skills — Stone went to the trouble of lying to HPSCI if he didn’t, at the same time, delete all records of his election year rat-fuckery, which might have minimized the charges he is facing today.

Stone chose to keep these records, even (apparently, though I don’t know that those came out other than in Corsi’s own leaked plea deal) the ones with Corsi that show he was lying about Credico. Stone chose to obstruct justice, but not to do so in a way that would destroy the evidence he was trying to hide.

One reason he may have wanted to do that was to keep leverage over Trump and people like Steve Bannon in his immediate circle.

Which may mean today’s raids found far more interesting evidence implicating Trump and others.
https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/01/25/h ... d-himself/

Right-Wing Provocateur Roger Stone Asked Proud Boys For Protection at Dorchester Conference Last Weekend
"He was worried about getting killed," says an event organizer. "He gets death threats constantly." But no violence arrived.Proud Boys at Tom McCall Waterfront Park on Aug. 6, 2017. (Daniel Stindt)
By Elise Herron | Published March 7, 2018 Updated March 7, 2018
Roger Stone—the former political adviser to Richard Nixon and President Donald Trump—appeared without incident at the state's oldest Republican conference last weekend.

But an organizer of the Dorchester Conference in Salem says Stone was so worried for his safety that he enlisted a right-wing group as private security.

Roger Stone Roger Stone

Patrick Sheehan, a Dorchester board member who booked Stone, says Stone reached out to the Proud Boys—a group notorious for its participation in Portland street brawls—after reading about violent political clashes in Oregon.

"He was worried about getting killed," Sheehan says. "He gets death threats constantly."

Photos of Stone drinking with a handful of Proud Boys circulated across social media over the weekend, outraging Democrats.

The Proud Boys is an organization the Southern Poverty Law Center has designated a hate group, and one that has contributed to plenty of street brawls at Portland protests.

Sheehan says there weren't actually any protesters present during Stone's address to a crowd of roughly 400 event attendees.

He adds that Stone's speech was notably less offensive than expected, with the most ludicrous remark being about a tattoo of Richard Nixon on his back and having a "dick on his back and on his front."

"There were no shouts or protesters," Sheehan says. "He just gave a really good talk that generated a lot of discussion."

Stone's talk focused on his five decades of political advising, from the Nixon administration through the current Trump administration.

And while Dorchester was prepared for a protest—the board's president says it hired a security team from Corporate Crime Control Association to be on the premises throughout the weekend—no brawl ever arrived.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2018/03/07/r ... t-weekend/

Neal Katyal

Shutdown has been going on for 35 days, this proposal for a 3 week ext has been talked about for a long time. Why now? Hmmm....what happened 7 hours ago? Trying to change the subject, yet the only card he has to play is the most minimal thing any President could do--open the govt

Roger Stone is not the only one’: Democratic lawmaker predicts two more Russia probe witnesses could be indicted soon

Matthew ChapmanJanuary 26, 2019
Roger Stone is not the only one’: Democratic lawmaker predicts two more Russia probe witnesses could be indicted soon
Roger Stone’s indictment and arrest for lying to the House Intelligence Committee and obstructing the FBI was an enormous development in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of ties between President Donald Trump’s campaign and Russia.

But as Rep. Jackie Speier told MSNBC’s Ari Melber, Stone’s arrest could just be one of many dominoes still to fall.

“I think many of those who testified before our committee while the Republicans were in power were under the impression that they could say virtually anything and get away with it,” she said. “And we’re going to see in short order that Roger Stone is not the only one who lied to Congress.”

“Your view, based on what we know to be, the trigger that Mueller is willing to use on false statements to Congress, is that you have knowledge of other individuals that you think by this standard would also be charged?” Melber pressed her.

“Yes I do,” said Speier. She refused to name specific examples, but added that “there may be two.”

Watch below:

Under Republicans, the Intelligence Committee, led by Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) seemed largely uninterested in pursuing members of the Trump campaign, preferring instead to investigate the FBI for investigating Trump in the first place. This may have made Trump allies like Stone more comfortable to lie in testimony, knowing Congress would not look into the matter.

Unfortunately for them, Mueller was looking into it from day one — and with Democrats in charge, the House will be helping him do it.
https://www.alternet.org/2019/01/roger- ... cted-soon/

Roger Stone is ‘fooling himself’ if he thinks he can beat Bob Mueller: CNN’s Preet Bharara
Dominique Jackson DOMINIQUE JACKSON
25 JAN 2019 AT 19:28 ET

On Friday President Donald Trump’s political adviser, Roger Stone, was arrested in the wee hours of the morning in connection with Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe.

Former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara sat down with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer to explain that Stone might have to flip on Trump.

“Do you think the special counsel could pursue a charge of conspiracy down the road?” Blitzer asked Bharara.

“We have seen before that the Mueller’s team will bring charges in one instance and hold things back. It’s not clear that they’re not going to bring further charges going into the future,” he responded.

Wolf then explained that Stone might have to cooperate with Mueller in order not to spend the rest of his life in prison.

“If he is convicted on all of these seven counts, he is facing potentially years and years in prison. So in order to reduce that prison sentence, he would have to start cooperating with the special counsel?” Wolf asked.

“The country has got an education in what it means to cooperate and what the effect of cooperation is on your potential sentence,” Bharara said. “We all saw Roger Stone say in dramatic fashion on the courthouse steps today sat that he does not intend to bear false witness against the president.”

“He believes in the president. I have heard that before from other people who say they will not cooperate, will not flip. If he thinks he is going to prevail, he is fooling himself in more ways than one,” he said.

He then explained that former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort continued to lie and was unable to cooperate with Mueller.

“Paul Manafort continued to lie. The Mueller team had to say, ‘we can’t use you as a cooperator.’ From everything I have seen in documentaries, newspaper articles, and directly out of the mouth of Roger Stone himself, he is a more unseemly liar than Paul Manafort.”

Watch the interview below via CNN.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/roger- ... uA.twitter
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Next

Return to General Discussion