The Democratic Party, 2019

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Democratic Party, 2019

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:51 pm

You surely realize that no matter whom is elected our next president, they will already be engaged in war upon their inauguration, as well as sundry lesser ongoing evils. Voters always lose, even when their candidate wins.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Since I saw Real Clear linked in this thread I thought I’d post this here

Noah Shachtman

EXCLUSIVE: The owners of the non-partisan RealClearPolitics site has a secret Facebook page packed with ugly, far-right memes — killer Clintons, Muslim Obama, puppet-master Soros, the works.

Here's one typical post from RealClearPolitics' far-right sister page: https://thedailybeast.com/realclear-med ... ight-memes

C1BC4A96-F21A-48DB-AF52-B118294A79A0.jpeg

RealClearPolitics' sister page also has an odd affinity for all things Russia. https://thedailybeast.com/realclear-med ... ight-memes
7A38798B-7CDE-4A9C-A93C-13A490E5F64B.jpeg

VIRAL
RealClear Media Has a Secret Facebook Page to Push Far-Right Memes
RealClearPolitics has carefully cultivated a non-partisan image—while in the shadows its parent company pushes images of killer Clintons and a freedom-loving Kremlin.
Kevin Poulsen
Sr. National Security Correspondent
Maxwell Tani
Media Reporter
Updated 10.07.19 9:05PM ET / Published 10.07.19 9:00PM ET
EXCLUSIVE
Photo Illustration by Sarah Rogers/The Daily Beast/Photos Facebook
The company behind the non-partisan news site RealClearPolitics has been secretly running a Facebook page filled with far-right memes and Islamophobic smears, The Daily Beast has learned.

Called “Conservative Country,” the Facebook page was founded in 2014 and now boasts nearly 800,000 followers for its mix of Donald Trump hagiography and ultra-conservative memes. One recent post showed a man training two assault rifles at a closed door with the caption “Just sitting here waiting on Beto.” Others wink at right-wing conspiracy theories about Barack Obama’s “ties to Islam” or the Clintons having their enemies killed, or portray Muslim members of Congress as terrorist infiltrators. The page is effusive with praise for Vladimir Putin, and one post portrays Russia as the last bastion of freedom in Europe.

It’s a far cry from the usual fare on RealClearPolitics. Founded in 2000, the site was an early online aggregator of political news, curating links to widely read politics stories and opinion articles in other major outlets. The site has become synonymous with its polling aggregator, which is regularly cited by news organizations on both sides of the aisle as an objective metric of major political races. In recent years, the site has expanded to cover health care, finance, foreign policy, and more.

There’s no hint of Conservative Country’s provenance on its Facebook “about” page, which reads in total, “Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. And force, like fire, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.” (It’s an apocryphal quote attributed to George Washington.) But in 2017 Conservative Country was linked as the official Facebook page for a now defunct political news site using the same name and logo, ConservativeCountry.net.

That website featured professional writers instead of memes, but it too omitted any mention of who owned or operated the site. The Daily Beast connected ConservativeCountry.net to RealClear through archives on the Wayback Machine, which show that the website had RealClear’s Google Analytics tracker code and that some of the site’s images were served from the WordPress account of RealClear’s chief technology officer. Interviews with former editorial staff of ConservativeCountry.net confirmed that it was a stealth RealClear property.

“It was a site put out through RealClear Media,” said Kevin Whiteley, who in an interview with The Daily Beast recalled coming to RealClear in April 2016 by way of a Craigslist help wanted ad. He worked out of RealClear’s Chicago headquarters, and at first his job was writing for the publisher’s branded websites. “And then they launched Conservative Country to do conservative politics,” he said. “Once they started Conservative Country, I was just writing for Conservative Country.”

RealClearPolitics has taken major pains to be seen as nonpartisan and non-ideological in its reporting. The site’s news reporting focuses on horserace-style coverage of elections, evenly weighing opinions from both parties, while the RealClear pages curate a mix of stories and opinion articles from sites across the political spectrum.

But the willingness to share and aggregate all political views has also made the site more receptive to Trump-friendly writing than some other outlets. Of the seven featured “opinion writers” listed in a tab on the site, three—including occasional Trump adviser Steve Cortes—are openly supportive of the president’s agenda.

Conservative Country isn’t the first ultra-partisan title that’s been connected to RealClear. A 2017 SEC filing listed RealClear co-founder John McIntyre as a director at FDRLST Media and put both companies at the same Chicago address. FDRLST Media is the parent company of The Federalist, the conservative news site behind last month’s false story claiming the deep state secretly revised official whistleblower regulations to allow the Trump-Ukraine whistleblower to provide secondhand information. Even after the story was widely debunked, Trump and several GOP lawmakers pushed it on social media and the Sunday morning political shows, and a link to the Federalist article appeared in 1600 Daily, the official White House newsletter.

Although it shies away from some of the most insane conspiracy theories—there’s no mention of Q or Seth Rich—the Conservative Country Facebook page is also no stranger to fake news. During the 2016 campaign season, the page drove traffic to Macedonian sites known for publishing outrageously false stories to reap ad profits. It’s unclear whether those links appeared by negligence or design. According to a former writer for Conservative Country, RealClear monetizes the Facebook page with a pay-for-play model: Third-party publishers can put up cash to get a post featured on the highly trafficked page.

“There were companies paying RealClear for traffic, and Conservative Country was another RealClear page that companies could promote on,” the writer said. “The whole thing was money based, not activist based or anything like that.”

RealClear didn’t respond to questions about the Facebook page but acknowledged that it created the website. “The Conservative Country website was created as part of an effort to understand the flow of traffic from social media—particularly Facebook—to political websites,” said RealClear CTO Anand Ramanujan in an email to The Daily Beast. “There are no other non-RealClear titles out there.”

A count of the Conservative Country posts featuring external links suggests the page’s main purpose is driving traffic back to RealClear’s own properties. Some 240 of the 1,070 external links posted on the page since January 2017 are to RealClear Media’s flagship title, RealClearPolitics. Fox News comes in a distance second with 71 links, followed by 41 posts linking to the conservative commentary site American Thinker. “We have a contract with Real Clear Holdings to handle some of our non-editorial functions,” said American Thinker’s founder Thomas Lifson, when asked generally about his site’s relationship with RealClear.

It is unusual for media companies to run pages without disclosing their ownership. In an email to The Daily Beast, Kelly McBride, a senior vice president at the media-monitoring Poynter Institute, noted that transparency is a crucial element for readers seeking to understand whether they can trust a news outlet.

“Legitimate and respectable news organizations are transparent about their ownership,” McBride said. “It should be clear to the audience consuming a news product who the owner is. Conversely, audience members who are interested in ownership structures should be able to see all the media properties owned by a corporation.”

Others don’t see it as a problem. The more extreme, bigoted memes appearing on the Facebook page are “certainly not a good look for RealClear Media,” Dan Kennedy, an associate professor and media ethicist at Northeastern University’s School of Journalism, told The Daily Beast. “But I don’t think it calls into question the credibility of RealClearPolitics.”

With a full-time editor and a handful of paid freelance writers, the Conservative Country website was more costly to run than a Facebook page. According to the former writer, the site’s traffic cratered when Facebook tweaked its algorithms to favor Facebook content over external links. After eight months in operation, RealClear closed the website in October 2017 without ever officially acknowledging its existence.

Whiteley, who served as ConservativeCountry.net’s line editor for the life of the site, said he doesn’t know why RealClear’s branding never graced Conservative Country. “I can confidently say there was nothing sinister about that,” he said. “Maybe whoever built the site didn’t think to put that there.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/realclear ... ight-memes

Wait, since when are they “non partisan?” They have great polling aggregates but haven’t they always been conservative and sometimes nuttily so about what content they post?

@RealClearNews
claiming to be “independent” and “non-partisan” is kind of like Fox News claiming to be “fair and balanced” I guess.
83762158-23F4-4BB3-8BED-7FB2DF47B88D.jpeg

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoahShachtma ... 9593176064
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby RocketMan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:21 am

seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:21 am wrote:Since I saw Real Clear linked in this thread I thought I’d post this here

Derailing. :threadhijacked:
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:39 am

People who linked to that source in this thread should know about that information
I am not going to start new thread about it I am sure if I did that you would accuse me of thread proliferation

If a mod thinks there is a more appropriate thread they can move it maybe the Bernie thread it was linked to there also or another thread I did search for the name and this and the Bernie thread came up that’s how I made my decision Again if a mod believes there is a more appropriate thread he definitely has my permission to move it
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby RocketMan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 am

stickdog99 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:18 am wrote:https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/04/dnc-turns-to-2020-candidates-for-help-as-they-struggle-to-raise-cash.html

This article is worth quoting:

In an email to donors and forwarded to CNBC, Chris Lowe, the committee’s deputy national finance chair, listed two events in New York in October that will feature Sen. Kamala Harris and former Secretary of Housing, Julian Castro. Harris’ fundraiser is dubbed the “DNC Chairman’s Dinner.”

Separately, a DNC aide sent CNBC a list of other events this month, which will include a “chairman’s dinner” in San Francisco with billionaire candidate Tom Steyer and Sen. Elizabeth Warren headlining the “Women Will Vote Gala.” Warren’s event will coincide with the Women’s Leadership Forum Conference in Washington. All proceeds for these fundraisers go to the DNC and the party’s infrastructure, the aide added.

Warren has sworn off having her campaign take part in big money fundraisers. Tickets for Warren’s gala go up to $5,000 and others can gain access by raising up to $50,000 for the party, according to an online portal that allows attendees to buy tickets. Those who raise the five figure sum will receive 10 VIP tickets to the fundraiser.

That Bernie is taking on BOTH The Republican and the corrupt DNC is a very heartening thing. Regardless of how he will fare (and he is more viable, I think, than many give him credit, the anti-"Trump 2016" if you will), he has set a VERY healthy and important precedent and shone a spotlight at the nest of vipers that is the Dem party.

And Warren's disingenuous "for the little people" bullshit is just expected at this point.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Grizzly » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:59 pm

"Bernie just gets bolder as the campaign goes on. The only candidate who won't "pivot to the center (right)" in the general."

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/14/20912221/bernie-sanders-corporate-accountability-ftc-merger-tax
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm

Bump! Debate biatches!
[url][/url]
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, one of the most influential voices among young liberals and a rising Democratic star, plans to endorse Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) for president and appear with him at a rally on Saturday, according to two people with knowledge of her plans.

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), another member of the “Squad” of four liberal congresswomen, also announced late Tuesday that she was backing Sanders.

“We’re looking forward to Saturday,” said Corbin Trent, a spokesman for Ocasio-Cortez. Sanders teased the rally at Tuesday night’s presidential debate, saying he would have a “special guest” appearing with him in New York.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democratic-presidential-hopeful-bernie-sanders-to-be-endorsed-by-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/2019/10/15/b2958f64-ef84-11e9-b648-76bcf86eb67e_story.html

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:38 am

This made my night.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby RocketMan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:51 am

Yes, balm for my charred soul and black heart.

It is so very nice not to be confirmed in one's cynicism every once in a while. :lovehearts:
Last edited by RocketMan on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: DNC debate last night, cross-posting from the Syria thread (click on the quoted link for fuller context):

JackRiddler » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am wrote:.

I write this in the wake of the latest DNC "debate," in which Tulsi Gabbard called it a regime change war. She seemed unprepared, or rather prepared to give a five-minute summary. I don't know if Gabbard would have developed such a case, had she been given more than the soundbite-time allowed to her. With 12 contestants on stage simultaneously, and within the professional wrestling format of these news-product advertisements that the corporate media and DNC have set up as "debates," even the calmest and best-versed soul could do little. I really expected her to be more aggressive. Two easy hits were missing: "Do you support covert wars in which we arm and fund factions abroad without announcing it and having a democratic debate about it? Because that's what we did in Syria and chaos is the inevitable result." The other would have been to have blown up the whole thing by saying, "okay, Hunter Biden's activities were legal, I am sure, but that doesn't make them appropriate or right. Who supports this kind of soft corruption?"

(I added the bold font)
Belligerent Savant

Postby Grizzly » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Agreed...

news-product advertisements.<---- choreographed, shit. Really. I couldn't even watch it all.
She should have followed through and boycotted that shit...
Also, "I concur!" on the bolder post above. BS,JR, et al...

PS, Which Syria thread?? I can't keep up they get so watered down by spam.

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby stickdog99 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 pm

I made the mistake of watching CNN's debate last night. CNN purposefully wasted the first 12 minutes of the debate forcing each and every Democratic candidate on the stage to one up each other on the "major issue" of just how much Trump needs to be impeached.

This played right into Trump's hands, IMHO. Any non-cable news addict swing voter who tuned in to see what exciting new platform Democrats were offering in 2020 would have concluded "politics as usual" and never made it to the first commercial.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Morning Consult is the gold standard of USA polling right now, in my humble opinion (not that this is saying much).

https://morningconsult.com/senator-rankings-q3-19/

Bernie Sanders' approval rating: 65% (highest among all Senators); Bernie Sanders' disapproval rating: 30%

Amy Klobuchar's approval rating: 56%; Amy Klobuchar's disapproval rating: 32%

Ted Cruz's approval rating: 49%; Ted Cruz's disapproval rating: 36%

Elizabeth Warren's approval rating: 49%; Elizabeth Warren's disapproval rating: 41% (6th highest among all Senators after Moscow Mitch, Susan Collins, Bob Menendez, Joni Ernst & Joe Manchin)

As I said here before, corporate cable news outlets are desperately trying to herd Democrats behind a losing candidate in their quest to do anything possible to stop Sanders.

Republican and Republican leaning voters won't vote for Warren because she's seen as being as left-wing as Sanders, but still part of the Democratic party establishment they hate. Left wingers won't work for her, contribute to her, or go out of their way to vote for her because she's not actually as left wing as Sanders, and she's still part of the Democratic party establishment they hate.

The only people Warren actually appeals to are the exact same coalition of middle and upper class Eisenhower Republicans that Hillary Clinton appealed to in her 2016 loss. In contrast, Sanders appeals to a wide range disenfranchised working class voters who voted for Trump in 2016 as a way of lashing out at the neoliberal establishment (you know, the millions of angry "Brexit voters" who just wanted to lodge their protest against the way their nation has stranded them on the side of the road). In addition, Sanders not only appeals to left wingers but actually energizes these generally young people enough to convince their non-voter friends to vote (perhaps for the first time in their entire lives). And Sanders especially appeals to millions of independent voters, especially white male independent voters (who reliably cast their votes for him in Vermont), and especially independent voters who never or only occasionally vote because they are fed up with the corruption and tonedeafness of the establishment wings of both major parties.

Sanders is the only candidate in the Democratic field with any chance of getting the nomination whose electoral strategy to beat Trump and the Republicans is actually different from simply running back Clinton's losing 2016 coalition while praying that Trump's dumpster fires have by themselves somehow turned an electorate that is clearly up to here with establishment politics back into lovers of establishment politicians and policies.
stickdog99

Postby Grizzly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 pm

their quest to do anything possible to stop Sanders.

Agreed. They don't want change they want endlesswar...

Oh, and... "There is no question that Tulsi Gabbard is a puppet for the Russian government."

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 am

Tulsi Calls Out CNN To Their Face!

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

PreviousNext