Coronavirus Crisis: Main Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Coronavirus Crisis: Main Thread

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 pm

“Unusual Features of the SARS-CoV-2 Genome Suggesting Sophisticated Laboratory Modification Rather Than Natural Evolution and Delineation of Its Probable Synthetic Route.”

Li-Meng Yan (MD, PhD)1, Shu Kang (PhD)1, Jie Guan (PhD)1, Shanchang Hu (PhD)1
1Rule of Law Society & Rule of Law Foundation, New York, NY, USA.
Correspondence: team.lmyan@gmail.com

Abstract
The COVID-19 pandemic caused by the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 has led to over 910,000 deaths
worldwide and unprecedented decimation of the global economy. Despite its tremendous impact, the
origin of SARS-CoV-2 has remained mysterious and controversial. The natural origin theory, although
widely accepted, lacks substantial support. The alternative theory that the virus may have come from a
research laboratory is, however, strictly censored on peer-reviewed scientific journals. Nonetheless,
SARS-CoV-2 shows biological characteristics that are inconsistent with a naturally occurring, zoonotic
virus. In this report, we describe the genomic, structural, medical, and literature evidence, which, when
considered together, strongly contradicts the natural origin theory. The evidence shows that SARS-CoV-
2 should be a laboratory product created by using bat coronaviruses ZC45 and/or ZXC21 as a template
and/or backbone. Building upon the evidence, we further postulate a synthetic route for SARS-CoV-2,
demonstrating that the laboratory-creation of this coronavirus is convenient and can be accomplished in
approximately six months. Our work emphasizes the need for an independent investigation into the
relevant research laboratories. It also argues for a critical look into certain recently published data, which,
albeit problematic, was used to support and claim a natural origin of SARS-CoV-2. From a public health
perspective, these actions are necessary as knowledge of the origin of SARS-CoV-2 and of how the virus
entered the human population are of pivotal importance in the fundamental control of the COVID-19
pandemic as well as in preventing similar, future pandemics.

https://zenodo.org/record/4028830#.X1_G1mhKg2z
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Hey LO.

That Chinese scientist seems to confirm a lot of what I suspected. It's hard to genuinely prove tho. I've heard people criticise that paper, but I can't see it myself, and neither me nor the others are published immunologists (one is a biochemist doing post grad work tho).

But it's worth considering what she is putting forward is also very handy politically for anti China geo political types. Not just American ones either. There is ongoing low level conflict between China and India in the Himalayas atm.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:43 pm

I'm trying to figure out how this matters. What exactly do you think has happened to wealth of everyone who is not a millionaire over this same time period?

It matters for the exact reasons I said.

Your comment along with the chart you posted is stating that the listed wealthy people have profited off of COVID -- to actually conclude that, we need something to compare to.

And how in the hell is a 41% increase in wealth over any 5 month period, much less a total economic crisis for nearly half of the population, supposed to be considered normal for anyone at any time?

I'm not saying it's good, but is it normal? For all I know with the data you have sloppily presented, they have profited less during Covid than during the prior five months. I don't know how much Gates and Bezos wealth increased in any other five-month period, and without that information, the chart is meaningless as far as supporting the claim that the pandemic has been "worth it" for them.

Thus I have suggested a means of improving it with additional data that would either strengthen or weaken the conclusion.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:21 pm

One example: Bezos' reported net worth went from ~$115 billion in 2019, to ~$147.6 billion as of May 2020.

More here:

The Net Worth Of America's 600-Plus Billionaires Has Increased By More Than $400 Billion During The Pandemic

May 21, 2020,06:10pm EDT

America's billionaires saw their wealth increase by $434 billion during the course of the global pandemic, according to a new report, a staggering figure that coincided with upheaval to the global economy and more than 38 million Americans filing for unemployment.

KEY FACTS

- Per the report by Americans for Tax Fairness and the Institute for Policy Studies' Program for Inequality, between March 18 and May 19, the total net worth of the 600-plus U.S. billionaires jumped by $434 billion or 15%, based on the group's analysis of Forbes data.

- The top five U.S. billionaires (Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffett and Larry Ellison) saw their wealth grow by a total of $75.5 billion. Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has seen his net worth grow 30.6% in the past two months, boosting it to $147.6 billion; the fortunes of Bezos and Zuckerberg combined grew by nearly $60 billion, or 14% of the $434 billion total.

- Tech stocks have continued to rise, with both Facebook and Amazon hitting new all-time highs on Wednesday.

- Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has seen his net worth grow 30.6% in the past two months, boosting it to $147.6 billion; the fortunes of Bezos and Zuckerberg combined grew by nearly $60 billion, or 14% of the $434 billion total.

- While the technology sector has remained strong, many Americans in other markets haven’t been nearly as fortunate, as evidenced by an additional 2.4 million workers filing for temporary unemployment benefits last week, and with 47% of adults reporting that they or another person in their household has lost income since mid-March.

- Low-income earners have been hit hardest over the last two months, as almost 40% of people working in February and earning less than $40,000 annually have lost their jobs over the last month.

Critical quote:

"While millions risk their lives and livelihoods as first responders and front line workers, these billionaires benefit from an economy and tax system that is wired to funnel wealth to the top," said Chuck Collins, director of the IPS Program on Inequality.
Big Number:

According to the report, the total net worth of America's billionaires rose 15% during the two months, from $2.9 trillion to $3.4 trillion.

Key Background:

The gap between those at the very top of America's economic ladder and those at, or near, the bottom was already immense before the coronavirus began to wreak havoc on the U.S. economy. That existing rift has increased over the last two months, as evidenced by the inverse relationship between employment numbers (particularly for low-income earners) and the composite wealth of America's billionaire class. In addition to job losses, an estimated 16 million U.S. workers have likely lost employer-provided health insurance since the pandemic first began to impact America. Those with considerable wealth have benefited from the stock market’s recovery, after an initial crash in the early stages of the pandemic, rallying on promises of assistance from the Federal Reserve. Ultimately, the global economy, in a worst-case scenario, could take an $80 trillion hit, according to a recent study.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... 6f9e764a61
Belligerent Savant

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 pm

..and while I'm here:

Belligerent Savant

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Chinese virologist who claimed coronavirus was created in a lab and fled to US has been suspended by Twitter
Academic had 60,000 followers before her suspension

James Crump
@thejamescrump
7 hours ago

Twitter has suspended the account of a Chinese virologist who claimed that Covid-19 was “man-made” and created in a Wuhan lab.

Dr Li-Meng Yan, who claims to be a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Hong Kong School of Public Health, had her Twitter account suspended by the social media site earlier this week.

The virologist, who had more than 60,000 followers on Twitter before her account was suspended, made headlines this week when she claimed to have evidence that the Chinese government was involved in creating the virus, which has so far killed more than 936,156 people worldwide. She claims she fled to LA and is now in hiding in the U.S.

Twitter introduced a policy in May to label posts that contain information about Covid-19, which has been disputed or is controversial.

The site said the policy was introduced to “provide additional explanations or clarifications in situations where the risks of harm associated with a tweet are less severe but where people may still be confused or misled by the content.”

Twitter did not appear to label any of Dr Yan’s tweets, but instead suspended her account. A spokesperson told Newsweek that Twitter does not comment on individual accounts.

Watch more
Free coronavirus vaccines for all: Trump administration submits 'playbook' for unprecedented effort to inoculate Americans
Free coronavirus vaccines for all: Trump administration submits 'playbook' for unprecedented effort to inoculate Americans
Dr Yan made the claims about the origins of Covid-19 in a report alongside three other colleagues, which appeared to be affiliated with the Rule of Law Society, a group founded by president Donald Trump’s former national security adviser Steven Bannon, according to Newsweek.

The report, which has not been peer-reviewed, read: “Natural origin theory, although widely accepted, lacks substantial support.

“The alternative theory that the virus may have come from a research laboratory is, however, strictly censored on peer-reviewed scientific journals.”

The researchers claimed to have evidence that showed that Covid-19 was created in a lab, but the report did not appear to shed new information on the virus.

The University of Hong Kong disputed the findings and released a statement to ITV, where they wrote: “Dr Yan's statement does not accord with the key facts as we understand them. They have no scientific basis but resemble hearsay."

Dr Yan also appeared on Fox News’ Tucker Carlson Tonight on Tuesday to talk about the report, and was referred to as a “whistleblower.”

She told host Tucker Carlson that the virus is “man-made” and claimed: “I have evidence to show why they can do it, what they have done, how [they did it].”

Dr Yan added: “The scientific world also keeps silent...works together with the Chinese Communist Party, they don't want people to know his truth.

Watch more
Facebook and Twitter remove accounts of Russian troll farm recruiting ‘unwitting’ journalists to sow political discord in US
Facebook and Twitter remove accounts of Russian troll farm recruiting ‘unwitting’ journalists to sow political discord in US
“That's why I get suspended, I get suppressed, I am the target that Chinese Communist Party wants disappeared.”

The interview was uploaded to the Tucker Carlson Tonight Facebook page, but the social media site labelled it, and wrote: “The primary claims in the information are factually inaccurate.”

Facebook linked to three stories from Factcheck.org and USA Today to debunk Dr Yan’s claims that the virus was man-made, according to Newsweek.

Dr Yan’s interview on Tucker Carlson Tonight was still available to watch on YouTube at the time of writing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 54268.html
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:48 pm

Yes, it's from f'ing Zero Hedge, but he's citing a report from BoA, which further underscores the despicable obfuscation tactics that continue to be perpetrated:

You wouldn't know it reading the mainstream press, but in the past two months there has been a remarkable improvement in the covid pandemic in the US. Here are just two quick observations from the latest daily note by BofA's Hans Mikkelsen.

With the number of people in the US hospitalized with Covid-19 down 52% in 59 days since the recent peak on July 23rd, the count is now nearly back local lows from mid-June.

Meanwhile, even as the 17% increase in daily new cases over the past week (7-day average) is getting a lot of attention, this can be explained completely by more testing as the number of daily new tests is up 23% over the past week (7-day average). Another indication that the US is slowly winning the fight against the pandemic, the Covid-19 test positivity rate declined 0.2% to 4.6% over the past week (7-day average), the lowest in more than three months.

AND:

We Need a Radically Different Approach to the Pandemic and Our Economy as a Whole

An interview with
Katherine Yih
Martin Kulldorff

We talk to two public health experts about America's COVID-19 response and how poor households have borne a disproportionate share of the pandemic's hardship. We need to urgently fight for a more just society.

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/09/covid-19 ... inequality
Belligerent Savant

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 pm

https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/sta ... 12032?s=20

Professor Karol Sikora
@ProfKarolSikora
·
Sep 21
A group of us across medicine, academia and other areas have come together and sent this letter to the PM and his team.

Professors Heneghan, Gupta and many others - a wide range of voices as this crisis affects everything.

We desperately need a rethink to find a better balance.

Professor Karol Sikora
@ProfKarolSikora
·
13h
I don't want to just criticise, so here are a few realistic suggestions I think could help.

- Regular reviews of restrictions, not 6 months from the start
- Weekly press conferences led by PM
- Start a huge PR campaign to encourage people to seek medical help when they need it

- Scrap 10pm limit, people will just go home and drink there
- Allow more outside activity
- Military on the streets is disproportionate
- More protection for the vulnerable (no expense spared)
- Stop blaming the public, sort out testing & admit where things have gone wrong

- Reduce the fear
- More transparency:

What is the science/stats driving decisions? Is it just positive test results(issues with false positives)? Hospital admissions, NHS triage data, deaths?

- Look at different countries, not just worst case scenarios
- Extend support

This package is clearly far better than a full national lockdown.

We all need to take extra care, especially the vulnerable and older people like myself.

We desperately need more emphasis on tackling every disease, not just this horrible virus.

Much-needed sane messaging in an increasingly insane time.
Belligerent Savant

Nobody's Talking About Sweden Anymore

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:42 pm

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:06 pm

I clicked on one of the embedded links within that site in an effort to obtain clarity on how a COVID death is 'confirmed' and found little/no explanation, other than an allusion that the death count may actually be higher due to certain qualifying circumstances.

Perhaps I missed it.

I'd be interested to know the age groups for these recent deaths, and also the extent comorbidities contributed to their demise, which is tied to the 'with vs of' COVID tally methods.

Then there's also this:

https://twitter.com/EthicalSkeptic/stat ... 02752?s=20

Belligerent Savant

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:10 am

Maybe Walmart has an inside track to information, although I haven't check any other stores. At least at their local, smaller, grocery only store near me Walmart has dropped the entrance protocols as well as the one-way aisles. I was in a hurry, so I didn't check the signage to see if masks are still required. Still, this is a sea change in my area and I am curious now about other businesses.I really don't get around much, so it's mainly grocery stores where I observe. I still work full time, so I'm a bit limited.

My son and daughter-in-law wanted to go visit her parents near Waco, but it's just not going to happen. Her mother was talking about maybe Thanksgiving and social distancing and masks would be necessary. It's clear that she and her husband are still terrified about this, although I understand taking some precautions are they're mid-70's. With the zinc and apple cider vinegar I take daily, nothing wants to invade me and I'm not at all concerned even though I'm 71.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:28 am

Pele: is this Walmart within a mid-lower income neighborhood? Those with lesser means don't have the luxury of concerning themselves with a 0.1% fatality rate. The poorer the area, the less masks you'll see in stores. Anecdotal, of course -- this hasn't been "researched" in earnest yet.

I know I keep posting tweets from this fellow, but it seems I'm not the only RI'er that follows him. There's a reason for that:

Belligerent Savant

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:37 am

Given a situation like COVID-19, we can really appreciate the fact that the most dangerous virus is the lie. Do we really have a clue what is actually going on with COVID? Why is it so difficult to find the truth of this situation?
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Harvey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:15 am

Why is it so difficult to find the truth of this situation?

Undeniably true.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Grizzly » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:43 pm

Mike Pompeo "We're in a live exercise here" Coronavirus task force hold news conference 03 20 2020
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion