14 May '20: BOARD CRISIS [mysqli error] UPDATES

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: 8 May 2020: Guests Currently Blocked [mysqli error]

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Yeah, it was bad earlier today and now just as bad as then. Very odd sign in screen "This board has no forums."
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Sat May 09, 2020 6:12 pm

It's been bad for me too. It's frustrating.
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby JackRiddler » Sat May 09, 2020 9:57 pm

Iamwhomiam » Fri May 08, 2020 9:39 pm wrote:Yeah, it was bad earlier today and now just as bad as then. Very odd sign in screen "This board has no forums."

The latter currently is only for guests. Obviously you are logging in and seeing this.

I'll get back to trying things tomorrow. So exhausted right now!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun May 10, 2020 12:30 am

I kinda figured that out Jack. Just surprising to see, and momentarily worrisome not knowing if the same would be true once I had signed in. Also, I'm not criticizing, just reporting the difficulties I've encountered, which is what I thought you were seeking.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun May 10, 2020 12:58 am

Iamwhomiam » Sat May 09, 2020 11:30 pm wrote:I kinda figured that out Jack. Just surprising to see, and momentarily worrisome not knowing if the same would be true once I had signed in. Also, I'm not criticizing, just reporting the difficulties I've encountered, which is what I thought you were seeking.

Interesting that despite guests being locked out they still show up on the traffic counter. 247 as of this writing -- past midnight on a Saturday.

This is valuable debugging. Maybe this is being automated from a list of URLs?

It's also possible that RI has just been baked so deep into SERPs for so long that we're really getting that much organic traffic based on searches. I just tend to doubt it.

Then again, I'm currently taking notes on old RI threads past midnight on a Saturday so perhaps I'm not alone.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun May 10, 2020 12:51 pm

My thoughts were that whatever code or script is engaged in the verification of registered members is malfunctioning, causing it to endlessly loop, searching all registered members passwords even after granting the member signing-in access.

However, in such matters I am as uninformed as our president. More so; I don't tweet.
Iamwhomiam

Postby minime » Mon May 11, 2020 7:59 am

JackRiddler » Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 pm wrote:
Iamwhomiam » Fri May 08, 2020 9:39 pm wrote:Yeah, it was bad earlier today and now just as bad as then. Very odd sign in screen "This board has no forums."

The latter currently is only for guests. Obviously you are logging in and seeing this.

I'll get back to trying things tomorrow. So exhausted right now!

Your health is worth way, way, way more than RI, which is, and always was, worth nearly nothing. Exhaustion is a sign of diminished immune response, making you more vulnerable. The truth is in there. Find it, listen to it.

Did you at least try to create/alter the robots.txt file? It will help you determine the nature of the problem. Permutations and all that.
minime

Postby thrulookingglass » Mon May 11, 2020 12:21 pm

What exactly is this cause of this? Congestion due to too much traffic?

I know these are drastic measures but I must put forth of small protest that I hope these measures don't last long. If it is obstruction due to this sites popularity, I say that is a good thing.

Anyone have ideas on why RI would experience such an overrun of traffic?
thrulookingglass

Postby minime » Mon May 11, 2020 1:34 pm

Ha!
minime

Postby JackRiddler » Mon May 11, 2020 2:25 pm

thrulookingglass » Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 am wrote:What exactly is this cause of this? Congestion due to too much traffic?

I know these are drastic measures but I must put forth of small protest that I hope these measures don't last long. If it is obstruction due to this sites popularity, I say that is a good thing.

Anyone have ideas on why RI would experience such an overrun of traffic?

Sudden temporary real visitor jumps like this are incredibly unlikely, and anyway even 800 real visitors would never break the site like this. So it's either hostile action or buggy software somewhere, maybe not in our control (i.e., elsewhere on the server). So I am told by advisors who should know better (including WRex if you look above).

THESE MEASURES WILL NOT LAST LONG. Do not want that, do not like it. We should be here for all to read.

My consultant on this has recommended a couple of further tweaks and we will go another day, or two max, before lifting it.

SORRY!

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby thrulookingglass » Mon May 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Nothing personal. Just wanted information. This is an information war. Certain agencies may be spamming some sites or obstructing traffic because they don't like what's being said. As I've expressed before, the government has been in bed with the communications industry for years. Constricting access may be in someone's interest. Ending occulted rule begins with honest conversation. Snowden wasn't bullshitting.
thrulookingglass

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:12 pm

This afternoon and evening RI has worked for me far better than in several days, no more error pages.

Probably just jinxed the forum. lol
PufPuf93

Postby liminalOyster » Tue May 12, 2020 2:07 am

My guess is on tech glitch due to use of very old software when internet usage is at all time high, possibly even that other hosting software on shared servers which *is* getting much more traffic, by virtue of being newer, somehow demotes us? Conceivable it's due to increased social data mining, but doubtful - we dom't have enough users or content for it to take much processing power to index all of it. Either way, it seems to be chilling out tonight.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby 8bitagent » Tue May 12, 2020 6:05 am

I wish an A.I. program could create a new Jeff Wells blog post to describe the last few years of the dystopic clown show going on and beyond.

I been on countless political/news discussion forums over the years, yet nothing compares to peak R.I. :(
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby fruhmenschen » Tue May 12, 2020 9:34 am

An active barometer of the success or failure of RI is
the extent to which FBI agents try to put RI down for
the count.
fruhmenschen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion