Bet on Dem VP! (Switches to: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Who will be the actual Democratic candidate?

Sen. Harris
12%
Sen. Klobuchar
No votes
Sen. Warren
4%
Stacey Abrams
4%
Michelle Obama
16%
Secretary Clinton
16%
Gov. Whitmer
4%
Other VP candidate (click this and specify below)
12%
Brokered convention surprise: Other (click and specify)
12%
Rope-a-dope: Biden implodes, Sanders re-emerges
20%

Total votes : 25

Re: Bet on Dem VP! (Switches to: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Maybe unfair, many may really want this to be so, but it reminds me a bit of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPv5EsFb40
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bet on Dem VP! (Switched: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:31 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:25 pm wrote:
stickdog99 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:10 am wrote:All we are saying is give knees a chance.

looks like at least one of the gentlemen depicted in Wombaticus Rex' post has his hand in his pocket
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:39 pm

I'll try one more time.

JackRiddler wrote:
dada » Sun May 31, 2020 12:46 pm wrote:
Why don't you just say what you mean by "organized crime," if you mean anything.

dada » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:35 am wrote:No, that's okay. I don't mean anything by it.

Here's a report I take to be credible.

I'll tell you what we saw on Wooster Street in Soho last night. Cars pulling up in front of stores, changing their plates, kids looting and delivering goods to the cars. Agents provocateur? Protesters? Not in Soho last night. What we saw was people coming from wherever and conducting targeted looting of selected luxury stores.

The idea of mob involvement in such a scene seems reasonable.

My objection if this is presented as the driving force of the uprisings.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:43 pm

brekin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:57 pm wrote:
liminalOyster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:38 am wrote:
The real existential threat to African American males currently is Covid and inequalities in health care

Seriously? Tell that to George Floyd et al. COVID and stuctural racism have been a big talking point on signs and in speeches at many protests, actually. People are also vast-majority wearing masks.

Seriously. Death by cop last 5-7 years hovers around 1,100 annually in US, about 3 a day. African Americans around 220-250 of that.

20,000 African Americans dead out of 100 K from Covid just 2-3 months in. But at least you are hearing it in speeches and seeing it on signs at these huge mass gatherings with zero social distancing.

Brekin, I didn't mean to sound aggro. But one of the loudest and most recurring themes I've heard from black friends and strangers both the past few weeks has been about the constant, extreme stress of simply being black and living in an atmosphere of fear. One of the most useful ways, personally, I've found to understand the systemic impacts of racism in the US is the "uneven distribution of premature death." Stress=disease. Living in fear = stress.

Statistically, being a black male in a relatively low-crime economically secure neighborhood *still* increases your risk of chronic disease. Floyd's independent (Michael Baden) autopsy came out today and (duh) he died of asphyxiation from having his neck crushed. But before they, the authorities were straight up trying to blame early coronary disease and hypertension.

The reason AAs are more likely to die from COVID is not tenuously linked to the fact that a repeatedly xeroxed, withered but still functional facsimile of plantation life remains operational in the U.S.

ps. Many if not most of these demos have featured people freely distributing masks.

edited to add independent
Last edited by liminalOyster on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Grizzly » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:56 pm

liminalOyster
please add a source to these findings 'Floyd's autopsy came out today and (duh) he died of asphyxiation from having his neck crushed'.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:10 pm

Grizzly » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:56 pm wrote:liminalOyster
please add a source to these findings 'Floyd's autopsy came out today and (duh) he died of asphyxiation from having his neck crushed'.

Independent autopsy finds George Floyd's death a homicide due to 'asphyxiation from sustained pressure'
Amir Vera byline
By Amir Vera, CNN

Updated 4:03 PM ET, Mon June 1, 2020

(CNN)An independent autopsy found that George Floyd's death was a homicide and the unarmed black man died of "asphyxiation from sustained pressure."

The autopsy says compression to Floyd's neck and back led to a lack of blood flow to his brain.

Floyd was essentially "dead on the scene" in Minneapolis on May 25, said Ben Crump, attorney for the Floyd family. Multiple videos of Floyd's death show former police officer Derek Chauvin's knee on Floyd's neck, along with other officers kneeling on his back.

Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in total and two minutes and 53 seconds after Floyd was unresponsive, according to a criminal complaint released by the Hennepin County Attorney's Office.

"The ambulance was his hearse," Crump told reporters Monday. "George died because he needed a breath. He needed a breath of air."

"There is no other health issue that could cause or contribute to the death," said Dr. Michael Baden, one of the independent medical examiners. "Police have this false impression that if you can talk, you can breathe. That's not true."

CNN reached out to Hennepin County officials after the press conference for comment.

A homicide is the death of a person caused by another person. It includes murder and manslaughter.

Chauvin is charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. Crump said he should be charged with first-degree murder.
The independent autopsy's findings come after the Hennepin County Medical Examiner found "no physical findings" to "support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation," according to the criminal complaint.

Preliminary autopsy results cited in the complaint said combined effects of being restrained, any potential intoxicants in Floyd's system and his underlying health issues, including heart disease, probably contributed to his death. Toxicology results can take weeks.

Floyd's cause and manner of death remain pending and is being investigated by local, state and federal law enforcement, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office said in a statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/us/george-floyd-independent-autopsy/index.html

edit: Yes, Baden.
liminalOyster

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:26 pm

Cordelia » 01 Jun 2020 15:59 wrote:Re/ videos of Police taking a knee with protesters.

If spontaneous (or planned) responses on the part of the officers.....very touching.

If departmental planned photo-ops .....very savvy.

If both...

All they are saying...is give p'lice a chance.

(Imagine there are many, many very pissed-off cops over what Derek Chauvin did.)

I see two sides to this. Most cops are regular working and middle class people. But they are part of system that rewards bad cops and punishes the good cops that out them. And there are a ton of bad cops because our law enforcement system rewards cops who occupy rather than police our neighborhoods.

So some of same cops who sincerely took a knee over the last few days also routinely stand guard while their fellow cops take a knee on a black person suspected of petty crime.
stickdog99

Re: Bet on Dem VP! (Switched: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks for that Grizzly.....here's a Youtube news reporting of police, Nat'l. Guard being commanded to "Light 'em up!" and shoot paint guns at that neighborhood's residents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zeauprMJ0

Updated Glossary of Military Speak and Catchy Sayings

Light ’em Up! Or to get lit up means to get fired on or to fire on the enemy.

http://sgtbrandi.com/?page_id=2260

JFC; Terrorize ordinary enemy citizens. :shock:
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby dada » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:14 pm

JackRiddler » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:39 pm wrote:.

I'll try one more time.

JackRiddler wrote:
dada » Sun May 31, 2020 12:46 pm wrote:
Why don't you just say what you mean by "organized crime," if you mean anything.

dada » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:35 am wrote:No, that's okay. I don't mean anything by it.

Here's a report I take to be credible.

I'll tell you what we saw on Wooster Street in Soho last night. Cars pulling up in front of stores, changing their plates, kids looting and delivering goods to the cars. Agents provocateur? Protesters? Not in Soho last night. What we saw was people coming from wherever and conducting targeted looting of selected luxury stores.

The idea of mob involvement in such a scene seems reasonable.

My objection if this is presented as the driving force of the uprisings.

Don't try for me, Argentina.

Let's see... What seems reasonable to you, or driving force. Driving force lacks nuance. But I'm clearly not reasonable. hm. Tough choice. If you change the poll at the top of the thread, I can just go with the choice that gets the most votes. Would make my life easier.

And isn't that what the internet is really all about? Making life easier. It's a media revolution.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:10 pm

Tonight will be an important crucible. If a Monday night can be as wild as last night was, we're in serious trouble for a long time. Civilization is a fragile thing and our cities are extremely dense and often barely holding on.

Trump's nothingburger address indicates he doesn't have any plan or see any way forward; which creates a serious power vacuum because it's not like his opposition are in a better position. This is their base in the streets, all they're gonna do is encourage the protests and try to make political hay from this opportunity. Meanwhile, every day this grinds on, it's making both the infrastructure and the supply chains that actually feed cities more fragile. It also provides cover for more looting. (Is there anything in 2020 that hasn't been good for Amazon?)

For a protest movement that's a week into it's own runaway momentum, it's curious that we haven't seen clear demands emerge yet, no?

Doesn't bide well for a resolution coming this summer. Momentum may wane after this week, but it will pick up again in the middle of June (19th) and some networks are already planning events for that. Yet it's just as likely that things will continue apace, and rush hour getting disrupted every work day is just part of the new normal, as fewer and fewer urban citizens need to commute to their service x retail jobs because they're not physically there anymore.

The question of resolution also has layers of implications for what gets rebuilt. When it comes time to triage the damage, cleanup & repair and financing allocations will be informed by whether or not these locations will simply get looted again come August.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:10 pm wrote:This is their base in the streets, all they're gonna do is encourage the protests and try to make political hay from this opportunity.

They're doing the exact opposite. This data point is simply false.

Where Trump is characterizing the protests as the product of antifa terrorist masterminds, the Democrats are barely any better with their unhinged stories of imported fascists or even thousands of white supremacist accelerationists invading black neighborhoods to loot and incite violence. This is an attempt to split the uprisings along white and black lines.

Calling in massive repressive resources, imposing curfews (first in my life in New York, four hours from now!), conducting huge shows of militarized police force -- this is not encouraging the protests! Telling black people they have a just cause and must therefore stay home to protect themselves from the supposed white supremacist hordes coming in as outside agitators is not encouraging the protests!

What provocation there has been beyond the actual rioters of the uprising has been minimal and with the exception of Umbrella Man somehow avoided getting caught on video, unlike hundreds of cases of police attacks on protesters. The latter have established over and over who initiates violence. What provocation and mastermind-looting or burning there has been, has almost certainly had police cover or orchestration.

JackRiddler

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:47 pm

FWIW Juneteenth falls on a Friday this year.
liminalOyster

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:06 pm

I haven't seen a single Democrat pundit or politician telling protesters to stay home, have you?

(I also haven't seen anyone announcing they've decided not to run in 2020 to make room for POC candidates.)
Wombaticus Rex

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:09 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:06 pm wrote:I haven't seen a single Democrat pundit or politician telling protesters to stay home, have you?

Yes. Jacob Frey, Eric Garcetti and the mayor of Santa Monica.The message, each time, is about letting the police clean up the bad guys. Probably others as well.
liminalOyster

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:12 pm

liminalOyster » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:09 pm wrote:
Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:06 pm wrote:I haven't seen a single Democrat pundit or politician telling protesters to stay home, have you?

Yes. Jacob Frey, Eric Garcetti and the mayor of Santa Monica.The message, each time, is about letting the police clean up the bad guys. Probably others as well.

Yes, there are curfew orders. I phrased that poorly.
Wombaticus Rex

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion