'EcoFascism' and related Acts of Criminality.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: 'EcoFascism' and related Acts of Criminality.

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:53 am

Belligerent Savant » 02 Sep 2023 03:53 wrote:
Joe Hillshoist » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:57 pm wrote:The solution to climate change is simple too. Plant trees (or hemp) and use the wood and fibres in things that last.

https://twitter.com/balancealways/statu ... 79827?s=20

As usual, and in an attempt to hang shit on Gates that tweet doesn't explain what's really going on with that situation.

The reality of that situation is that trees will be harvested, the usable stuff milled and the off cuts and left overs buried instead of being burned.

Its actually a good idea if you are gonna harvest the trees. So, depending on the source of those trees (ie plantation or wild/old growth forest,) and provided they are being replanted/replaced this could be a sensible response.

I'll bet bif it wasn't associated with Gates no one would care.
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:49 am

“Hang shit on Gates”.

Gates has done plenty on his own to merit a hanging. What has he done that has earned him a ‘benefit of the doubt’ in your eyes?

And why are millions of acres of trees being ‘harvested’?

Those that subscribe to the notion that Carbon (and more specifically: human-generated carbon) is the primary cause of ‘global warming’ would of course subscribe to a measure like this, or see no fault in it.

But since the notion of CO2 as primary cause for ‘global warming’ is an egregious scam, and no doubt Gates knows this, the entire initiative is likewise a money grab ploy, among other aims (business minded and other).

I appreciate that certain ‘counter’ media outlets eagerly present stories/narratives like this to elicit a ‘disgust’ response and further paint Gates as one of numerous ‘evil masterminds’ with insidious agendas, etc.

Bad press is good press. Engagement, any engagement, is part of the objective. Inspiring feelings of helplessness/hopelessness (both in the ‘need’ for such measures to ‘combat’ ‘CLIMATE ALARM’, and also presenting yet another absurd storyline to those that view Gates’ actions as insidious*, and as such now have another exemplar to elicit more frustration/anger, etc) are all part of the psychological operations in play (among other long-term & short-term cons and aims, loosely coordinated or otherwise)

*make no mistake: Gates is, indeed, an insidious piece of shit, for myriad reasons.
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:37 pm

Really? Do you own anything made of wood? Books? Furniture? How about your house?

If it's being cut down just to be buried - obviously bad and fuck anyone doing it. If it's wood that would have been cleared anyway, for fire safety, farming, developments, off-cuts from logging, whatever, then why not bury it and sequester the carbon instead of burning it?

Contrary to your beliefs, CO2 is in fact a greenhouse gas. That you keep denying that is frankly ridiculous. As always, it's not that you're opposed to the tactics used by rich fucks to game the system I disagree with, it's that you take it one step further and deny basic physics, beyond even what most professional deniers do. Even the oil companies, the people with the most to lose, say you're wrong.

You have previously in this thread suggested that weather modification is behind a lot of what we're seeing, so you're obviously onboard with the idea that a few thousand tons of aerosols being sprayed from planes or remote installations can change the climate, but pumping tens of thousands of millions of tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere every year does nothing? We even know already that humans can change the climate, because we already did. Remember acid rain, or the hole in the ozone layer? Both caused by human emissions, and both dealt with by banning the release of the shit responsible.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:38 am

Belligerent Savant » 03 Sep 2023 01:49 wrote:“Hang shit on Gates”.

Gates has done plenty on his own to merit a hanging. What has he done that has earned him a ‘benefit of the doubt’ in your eyes?

Those that subscribe to the notion that Carbon (and more specifically: human-generated carbon) is the primary cause of ‘global warming’ would of course subscribe to a measure like this, or see no fault in it.

But since the notion of CO2 as primary cause for ‘global warming’ is an egregious scam, and no doubt Gates knows this, the entire initiative is likewise a money grab ploy, among other aims (business minded and other).

I appreciate that certain ‘counter’ media outlets eagerly present stories/narratives like this to elicit a ‘disgust’ response and further paint Gates as one of numerous ‘evil masterminds’ with insidious agendas, etc.

Bad press is good press. Engagement, any engagement, is part of the objective. Inspiring feelings of helplessness/hopelessness (both in the ‘need’ for such measures to ‘combat’ ‘CLIMATE ALARM’, and also presenting yet another absurd storyline to those that view Gates’ actions as insidious*, and as such now have another exemplar to elicit more frustration/anger, etc) are all part of the psychological operations in play (among other long-term & short-term cons and aims, loosely coordinated or otherwise)

*make no mistake: Gates is, indeed, an insidious piece of shit, for myriad reasons.

Wow you read that and in your mind it translates as I'm defending Bill gates.

You are cooked.

Because otherwise you might have responded to what i wrote instead of focusing on some throw away line about some fuckwit as if i'm defending him?

Isn't there enough Bill Gates has done without having to invent outrage about this situation and try and connect it to him?

Anyway about this:

So what is actually wrong with burying off cuts instead of burning them?
Joe Hillshoist

Postby DrEvil » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:51 am

Use this one simple trick to annoy the Hell out of people - assume the worst based on nothing! He wants it burned because it releases particulates that help kill off the weak, thus improving the gene pool and society at large.
DrEvil

Postby drstrangelove » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:49 pm

Joe Hillshoist » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:53 am wrote:As usual, and in an attempt to hang shit on Gates that tweet doesn't explain what's really going on with that situation.

The reality of that situation is that trees will be harvested, the usable stuff milled and the off cuts and left overs buried instead of being burned.

Its actually a good idea if you are gonna harvest the trees. So, depending on the source of those trees (ie plantation or wild/old growth forest,) and provided they are being replanted/replaced this could be a sensible response.

I'll bet bif it wasn't associated with Gates no one would care.

He's demolishing forests to create farmland because it's the only soil which hasn't been contaminated by synthetic chemical farming. The justification used by the NGO he's funding claims the United States has too many trees and is at risk of forest fires. The following is taken straight from their site:
What caused these current conditions?

Decades of fire suppression has allowed for more vegetation to grow back and debris to accumulate. Furthermore, stressors of climate change have made fuels drier and more prone to burning (Kelsey, Rodd. 2019, Abatzoglou et al. 2016.). Select land management practices, despite good intentions, have also played a part in changing forest composition, pushing forested ecosystems out of balance.

Shouldn’t we just leave forests alone?

Human intervention has created these problems, and there is broad consensus among academics and land managers that it will take human intervention to fix them. Science-driven methodologies can guide holistic stewardship practices that sustain human needs, promote forest resilience, and better adapt forested ecosystems to climate change (Society of American Foresters, 2022).

- https://kodama.ai/faqs

These people are pieces of shit Joe. Control freaks who worship fire, hate nature, and slow feed us cancer.

Sure, if you want access to virgin farmland because you've destroyed the soil for the sake of feeding people cancerous foods, then it's better to be done this way than starting a forest fire. It's also better for a rapist to wear a condom if they are going to rape someone. Just because Gates puts a rubber on before he rapes mother nature doesn't mean he's acting responsibly.
drstrangelove

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:29 pm

I’ve lost interest in replying further in this thread, but am chiming in here now to register a ‘like’ to drstrangelove’s response above, as it captures the essence of the issues at play and cuts through the BS framing/misdirection attempts by media outlets (shills) peddling absurdities like this Gates story to an increasingly conditioned public.

There is hope, however — the harder they force-feed these narratives the more the public will, incrementally, rebuke them. Ideally before most of these horseshit ‘mitigation measures’ are realized.
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:38 am

Funny how it's always everyone else being conditioned.

As usual you ignore* the biggest conditioning campaign of them all, the one perpetrated by the oil industry over the last 40+ years. The one we know for a fact is real, no speculation, paranoia or Pavlovian responses to the name Gates required.

* By ignore I mean "internalized to the point where it supplants reality".
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:55 pm

It's quite clear that I have not at all ignored it -- I'm acutely aware of the "big oil" factor.

I know it's difficult -- demonstrably -- for you to wrap your mind around the concept that finding deep flaws in and/or expressing concerns Re: predominant framing on the topics of "climate change", "climate alarm", "net zero", "ESG", et al. does NOT by default equal = being an unwitting shill or rube for "Big Oil" interests.

Also: yes, I currently hold the position (the passage of time only further enforces it) that CO2 is NOT a primary driver of "climate change", and in particular: regardless of the impact of CO2 Re: "warming", NONE of the above-referenced austerity measures/'mitigations' will have positive impact on weather fluctuations. They will only cause egregious harms to the collective and to the environment, while also greatly benefiting (and accumulating power for) the very few.

These positions can only be held by those 'suckered' by Big Oil propaganda, in your mind.

You can, of course, continue to remain stuck in antiquated/anachronistic concepts (i.e., "positions counter to dominant status quo blarings Re: 'climate change' = Rube for Big Oil Propaganda", etc).

There's nothing more for me to add. You -- and others -- are welcome to continue flailing your arms in the air as evidence mounts that (at a minimum) the dominant narratives (and resultant policies/actions by Authority) are increasingly worsening outcomes for the majority.

And yet you -- and your ilk -- refuse to adjust or re-consider (at this point firmly entrenched) views.

EDIT to add: to repeat what's been articulated previously (a number of times) in this thread, 'Big Oil' -- and pesticides/glyphosate, and mining activities (to support so-called "Green" tech demands), etc. -- HAS CAUSED immediate/long-term harms to the environment; to our waters; to our soil; to our health.
Unfortunately focus among dominant media has been increasingly re-directed towards "climate alarm" and all the bullshit draconian austerity measures being force-fed upon the masses. And a number of "environmentalists" have taken the bait, to our collective detriment.

Things are not as they have been presented, and many continue to refuse to acknowledge this.
(applicable across many topics, particularly in the areas of "science" and "politics" as currently defined by narrative framers)
Belligerent Savant

Postby stickdog99 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:45 pm

Confessions of a Professional Climate Scientist For Hire

I Left Out the Full Truth to Get My Climate Change Paper Published

I just got published in Nature because I stuck to a narrative I knew the editors would like. That’s not the way science should work.

If you’ve been reading any news about wildfires this summer—from Canada to Europe to Maui—you will surely get the impression that they are mostly the result of climate change.

Here’s the AP: Climate change keeps making wildfires and smoke worse. Scientists call it the “new abnormal.”

And PBS NewsHour: Wildfires driven by climate change are on the rise—Spain must do more to prepare, experts say.

And The New York Times: How Climate Change Turned Lush Hawaii Into a Tinderbox.

And Bloomberg: Maui Fires Show Climate Change’s Ugly Reach.

I am a climate scientist. And while climate change is an important factor affecting wildfires over many parts of the world, it isn’t close to the only factor that deserves our sole focus.

So why does the press focus so intently on climate change as the root cause? Perhaps for the same reasons I just did in an academic paper about wildfires in Nature, one of the world’s most prestigious journals: it fits a simple storyline that rewards the person telling it.

The paper I just published—“Climate warming increases extreme daily wildfire growth risk in California”—focuses exclusively on how climate change has affected extreme wildfire behavior. I knew not to try to quantify key aspects other than climate change in my research because it would dilute the story that prestigious journals like Nature and its rival, Science, want to tell.

This matters because it is critically important for scientists to be published in high-profile journals; in many ways, they are the gatekeepers for career success in academia. And the editors of these journals have made it abundantly clear, both by what they publish and what they reject, that they want climate papers that support certain preapproved narratives—even when those narratives come at the expense of broader knowledge for society.

To put it bluntly, climate science has become less about understanding the complexities of the world and more about serving as a kind of Cassandra, urgently warning the public about the dangers of climate change. However understandable this instinct may be, it distorts a great deal of climate science research, misinforms the public, and most importantly, makes practical solutions more difficult to achieve.

Why is this happening?

It starts with the fact that a researcher’s career depends on his or her work being cited widely and perceived as important. This triggers the self-reinforcing feedback loops of name recognition, funding, quality applications from aspiring PhD students and postdocs, and of course, accolades. ...

In theory, scientific research should prize curiosity, dispassionate objectivity, and a commitment to uncovering the truth. Surely those are the qualities that editors of scientific journals should value.

In reality, though, the biases of the editors (and the reviewers they call upon to evaluate submissions) exert a major influence on the collective output of entire fields. They select what gets published from a large pool of entries, and in doing so, they also shape how research is conducted more broadly. Savvy researchers tailor their studies to maximize the likelihood that their work is accepted. I know this because I am one of them.

Here’s how it works.

The first thing the astute climate researcher knows is that his or her work should support the mainstream narrative—namely, that the effects of climate change are both pervasive and catastrophic and that the primary way to deal with them is not by employing practical adaptation measures like stronger, more resilient infrastructure, better zoning and building codes, more air conditioning—or in the case of wildfires, better forest management or undergrounding power lines—but through policies like the Inflation Reduction Act, aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

So in my recent Nature paper, which I authored with seven others, I focused narrowly on the influence of climate change on extreme wildfire behavior. Make no mistake: that influence is very real. But there are also other factors that can be just as or more important, such as poor forest management and the increasing number of people who start wildfires either accidentally or purposely. (A startling fact: over 80 percent of wildfires in the US are ignited by humans.)

In my paper, we didn’t bother to study the influence of these other obviously relevant factors. Did I know that including them would make for a more realistic and useful analysis? I did. But I also knew that it would detract from the clean narrative centered on the negative impact of climate change and thus decrease the odds that the paper would pass muster with Nature’s editors and reviewers.

This type of framing, with the influence of climate change unrealistically considered in isolation, is the norm for high-profile research papers. For example, in another recent influential Nature paper, scientists calculated that the two largest climate change impacts on society are deaths related to extreme heat and damage to agriculture. However, the authors never mention that climate change is not the dominant driver for either one of these impacts: heat-related deaths have been declining, and crop yields have been increasing for decades despite climate change. To acknowledge this would imply that the world has succeeded in some areas despite climate change—which, the thinking goes, would undermine the motivation for emissions reductions.
This leads to a second unspoken rule in writing a successful climate paper. The authors should ignore—or at least downplay—practical actions that can counter the impact of climate change. If deaths due to extreme heat are decreasing and crop yields are increasing, then it stands to reason that we can overcome some major negative effects of climate change. Shouldn’t we then study how we have been able to achieve success so that we can facilitate more of it? Of course we should. But studying solutions rather than focusing on problems is simply not going to rouse the public—or the press. Besides, many mainstream climate scientists tend to view the whole prospect of, say, using technology to adapt to climate change as wrongheaded; addressing emissions is the right approach. So the savvy researcher knows to stay away from practical solutions.

Here’s a third trick: be sure to focus on metrics that will generate the most eye-popping numbers. Our paper, for instance, could have focused on a simple, intuitive metric like the number of additional acres that burned or the increase in intensity of wildfires because of climate change. Instead, we followed the common practice of looking at the change in risk of an extreme event—in our case, the increased risk of wildfires burning more than 10,000 acres in a single day. ...

As to why I followed the formula despite my criticisms, the answer is simple: I wanted the research to be published in the highest profile venue possible. When I began the research for this paper in 2020, I was a new assistant professor needing to maximize my prospects for a successful career. When I had previously attempted to deviate from the formula, my papers were rejected out of hand by the editors of distinguished journals, and I had to settle for less prestigious outlets. To put it another way, I sacrificed contributing the most valuable knowledge for society in order for the research to be compatible with the confirmation bias of the editors and reviewers of the journals I was targeting.

I left academia over a year ago, partially because I felt the pressures put on academic scientists caused too much of the research to be distorted. Now, as a member of a private nonprofit research center, The Breakthrough Institute, I feel much less pressure to mold my research to the preferences of prominent journal editors and the rest of the field.

This means conducting the version of the research on wildfires that I believe adds much more practical value for real-world decisions: studying the impacts of climate change over relevant time frames and in the context of other important changes, like the number of fires started by people and the effects of forest management. The research may not generate the same clean story and desired headlines, but it will be more useful in devising climate change strategies.

But climate scientists shouldn’t have to exile themselves from academia to publish the most useful versions of their research. We need a culture change across academia and elite media that allows for a much broader conversation on societal resilience to climate. ...
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:09 pm

https://fackel.substack.com/p/how-much- ... s-actually

How Much Atmospheric CO2 is Actually 'Anthropogenic'? 'The Science' Has Some--Surprising--Answers For Us

Another instalment of the burning question as to how much of 'the climate science' is actually 'settled'

A few months ago, another interesting study appeared. Entitled, ‘World Atmospheric CO2, Its 14C Specific Activity, Non-fossil Component, Anthropogenic Fossil Component, and Emissions (1750–2018)’, it was written by Kenneth Skrable, George Chabot, and Clayton French. Appearing in Health Physics 122, no. 2 (2022): p. 291-305 [DOI: 10.1097/HP.0000000000001485], here is its abstract (emphases here and in the following mine):

After 1750 and the onset of the industrial revolution, the anthropogenic fossil component and the non-fossil component in the total atmospheric CO2 concentration, C(t), began to increase. Despite the lack of knowledge of these two components, claims that all or most of the increase in C(t) since 1800 has been due to the anthropogenic fossil component have continued since they began in 1960 with ‘Keeling Curve: Increase in CO2 from burning fossil fuel’. Data and plots of annual anthropogenic fossil CO2 emissions and concentrations, C(t), published by the [US] Energy Information Administration, are expanded in this paper. Additions include annual mean values in 1750 through 2018 of the C14 specific activity, concentrations of the two components, and their changes from values in 1750. The specific activity of C14 in the atmosphere gets reduced by a dilution effect when fossil CO2, which is devoid of C14, enters the atmosphere. We have used the results of this effect to quantify the two components. All results covering the period from 1750 through 2018 are listed in a table and plotted in figures. These results negate claims that the increase in C(t) since 1800 has been dominated by the increase of the anthropogenic fossil component. We determined that in 2018, atmospheric anthropogenic fossil CO2 represented 23% of the total emissions since 1750 with the remaining 77% in the exchange reservoirs. Our results show that the percentage of the total CO2 due to the use of fossil fuels from 1750 to 2018 increased from 0% in 1750 to 12% in 2018, much too low to be the cause of global warming.

That does sound…well, interesting, to say the least, if we would like to discuss what amounts to perhaps the most important question of our age: what share of ‘climate change’ (I’m old enough to remember that it used to be called ‘global warming’) is actually man-made?

Preliminary Hypotheses

Curiously enough, while a worthwhile, if not existential question to consider, it is virtually absent from public policy debates. ‘The science is settled’, and ‘there is a 97% consensus’, are but two of the most commonly-cited, if evasive, propositions.

Sure, the IPCC typically states some form of disclaimer that since WW2 or 1950-ish, it was anthropogenic emissions that drove ‘global warming’ or ‘climate change’. Put differently, prior to the mid-20th century, CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions that drove ‘global warming’ or ‘climate change’ would have had to be predominantly non-anthropogenic, or natural, eh?

Strange, though, that this—in my opinion crucial—distinction never really comes up in polite society. I am inclined to believe that it is, in fact, even stranger not to consider this issue as atmospheric CO2 is actually a trace gas that comes in at some .0407% of the entirety of earth’s atmosphere.

So, shall we go through the paper? I think it is actually worthwhile to do so. For readability, I have omitted the references.

much more at OP link ...
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:52 pm

Your media gods and captains of industry have deceived (are deceiving) you, despite your continued denials.

Belligerent Savant

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:53 pm

stickdog99 » 07 Sep 2023 08:45 wrote:Confessions of a Professional Climate Scientist For Hire

I Left Out the Full Truth to Get My Climate Change Paper Published

I just got published in Nature because I stuck to a narrative I knew the editors would like. That’s not the way science should work.

If you’ve been reading any news about wildfires this summer—from Canada to Europe to Maui—you will surely get the impression that they are mostly the result of climate change.

Here’s the AP: Climate change keeps making wildfires and smoke worse. Scientists call it the “new abnormal.”

And PBS NewsHour: Wildfires driven by climate change are on the rise—Spain must do more to prepare, experts say.

And The New York Times: How Climate Change Turned Lush Hawaii Into a Tinderbox.

And Bloomberg: Maui Fires Show Climate Change’s Ugly Reach.

I am a climate scientist. And while climate change is an important factor affecting wildfires over many parts of the world, it isn’t close to the only factor that deserves our sole focus.

So why does the press focus so intently on climate change as the root cause? Perhaps for the same reasons I just did in an academic paper about wildfires in Nature, one of the world’s most prestigious journals: it fits a simple storyline that rewards the person telling it.

The paper I just published—“Climate warming increases extreme daily wildfire growth risk in California”—focuses exclusively on how climate change has affected extreme wildfire behavior. I knew not to try to quantify key aspects other than climate change in my research because it would dilute the story that prestigious journals like Nature and its rival, Science, want to tell.

This matters because it is critically important for scientists to be published in high-profile journals; in many ways, they are the gatekeepers for career success in academia. And the editors of these journals have made it abundantly clear, both by what they publish and what they reject, that they want climate papers that support certain preapproved narratives—even when those narratives come at the expense of broader knowledge for society.

To put it bluntly, climate science has become less about understanding the complexities of the world and more about serving as a kind of Cassandra, urgently warning the public about the dangers of climate change. However understandable this instinct may be, it distorts a great deal of climate science research, misinforms the public, and most importantly, makes practical solutions more difficult to achieve.

Why is this happening?

It starts with the fact that a researcher’s career depends on his or her work being cited widely and perceived as important. This triggers the self-reinforcing feedback loops of name recognition, funding, quality applications from aspiring PhD students and postdocs, and of course, accolades. ...

In theory, scientific research should prize curiosity, dispassionate objectivity, and a commitment to uncovering the truth. Surely those are the qualities that editors of scientific journals should value.

In reality, though, the biases of the editors (and the reviewers they call upon to evaluate submissions) exert a major influence on the collective output of entire fields. They select what gets published from a large pool of entries, and in doing so, they also shape how research is conducted more broadly. Savvy researchers tailor their studies to maximize the likelihood that their work is accepted. I know this because I am one of them.

Here’s how it works.

The first thing the astute climate researcher knows is that his or her work should support the mainstream narrative—namely, that the effects of climate change are both pervasive and catastrophic and that the primary way to deal with them is not by employing practical adaptation measures like stronger, more resilient infrastructure, better zoning and building codes, more air conditioning—or in the case of wildfires, better forest management or undergrounding power lines—but through policies like the Inflation Reduction Act, aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

So in my recent Nature paper, which I authored with seven others, I focused narrowly on the influence of climate change on extreme wildfire behavior. Make no mistake: that influence is very real. But there are also other factors that can be just as or more important, such as poor forest management and the increasing number of people who start wildfires either accidentally or purposely. (A startling fact: over 80 percent of wildfires in the US are ignited by humans.)

In my paper, we didn’t bother to study the influence of these other obviously relevant factors. Did I know that including them would make for a more realistic and useful analysis? I did. But I also knew that it would detract from the clean narrative centered on the negative impact of climate change and thus decrease the odds that the paper would pass muster with Nature’s editors and reviewers.

This type of framing, with the influence of climate change unrealistically considered in isolation, is the norm for high-profile research papers. For example, in another recent influential Nature paper, scientists calculated that the two largest climate change impacts on society are deaths related to extreme heat and damage to agriculture. However, the authors never mention that climate change is not the dominant driver for either one of these impacts: heat-related deaths have been declining, and crop yields have been increasing for decades despite climate change. To acknowledge this would imply that the world has succeeded in some areas despite climate change—which, the thinking goes, would undermine the motivation for emissions reductions.
This leads to a second unspoken rule in writing a successful climate paper. The authors should ignore—or at least downplay—practical actions that can counter the impact of climate change. If deaths due to extreme heat are decreasing and crop yields are increasing, then it stands to reason that we can overcome some major negative effects of climate change. Shouldn’t we then study how we have been able to achieve success so that we can facilitate more of it? Of course we should. But studying solutions rather than focusing on problems is simply not going to rouse the public—or the press. Besides, many mainstream climate scientists tend to view the whole prospect of, say, using technology to adapt to climate change as wrongheaded; addressing emissions is the right approach. So the savvy researcher knows to stay away from practical solutions.

Here’s a third trick: be sure to focus on metrics that will generate the most eye-popping numbers. Our paper, for instance, could have focused on a simple, intuitive metric like the number of additional acres that burned or the increase in intensity of wildfires because of climate change. Instead, we followed the common practice of looking at the change in risk of an extreme event—in our case, the increased risk of wildfires burning more than 10,000 acres in a single day. ...

As to why I followed the formula despite my criticisms, the answer is simple: I wanted the research to be published in the highest profile venue possible. When I began the research for this paper in 2020, I was a new assistant professor needing to maximize my prospects for a successful career. When I had previously attempted to deviate from the formula, my papers were rejected out of hand by the editors of distinguished journals, and I had to settle for less prestigious outlets. To put it another way, I sacrificed contributing the most valuable knowledge for society in order for the research to be compatible with the confirmation bias of the editors and reviewers of the journals I was targeting.

I left academia over a year ago, partially because I felt the pressures put on academic scientists caused too much of the research to be distorted. Now, as a member of a private nonprofit research center, The Breakthrough Institute, I feel much less pressure to mold my research to the preferences of prominent journal editors and the rest of the field.

This means conducting the version of the research on wildfires that I believe adds much more practical value for real-world decisions: studying the impacts of climate change over relevant time frames and in the context of other important changes, like the number of fires started by people and the effects of forest management. The research may not generate the same clean story and desired headlines, but it will be more useful in devising climate change strategies.

But climate scientists shouldn’t have to exile themselves from academia to publish the most useful versions of their research. We need a culture change across academia and elite media that allows for a much broader conversation on societal resilience to climate. ...

There's alot of truth in this and as long as people remember this bit:

And while climate change is an important factor affecting wildfires over many parts of the world,

..because there are more days of extreme fire danger and once you get more days of high fire danger you have more extremes (its how distributions work) and you get less opportunity to manage forests etc with fire and that's something humans have done for nearly as long as we've existed.

But perhaps the worst issue is eucalyptus trees.

They are everywhere now, especially in most of the places these fires happen, from California to the Iberian peninsula, and over millions of years evolved in Australia to exist with fire. Some eucalypt species are dependent on fire to breed. They create large fuel loads on the ground and when its hot enough large fuel loads in the air as the volatile oil in the leaves evaporates.

They are weedy and spread in harsh conditions where previously large, native land race trees might not have survived because they tolerate drought and weather extremes in both directions.

in pre invasion Australia a large part of culture was land management around minimising fuel loads. Controlled burning in their way was an ongoing process that nevcer ended. All year every year, but as a result there was little fuel build up and the whole process was manageable.

It even enabled eucalyptus to breed because it turns out a chemical in the smoke is what triggers the breeding process. Not the heat and fire itself.

There are all sorts of local land management issues that go along with this ion different places - from what's happening with beetles in california to thawing of ground in Siberia enabling fire to continue when it would stop from the cold.

Finally I think one of the reasons there is so much focus on climate change as a root cause is because for decades people have been talking about the risks of climate change and particular politicians from Bush to the previous Australian government would actually refuse to acknowledge it.

All these other factors don't mean shit if you don't acknowledge that climate change acts as a force multiplier with them.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby PufPuf93 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:36 pm

DrEvil » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:37 pm wrote:

Really? Do you own anything made of wood? Books? Furniture? How about your house?

If it's being cut down just to be buried - obviously bad and fuck anyone doing it. If it's wood that would have been cleared anyway, for fire safety, farming, developments, off-cuts from logging, whatever, then why not bury it and sequester the carbon instead of burning it?

Contrary to your beliefs, CO2 is in fact a greenhouse gas. That you keep denying that is frankly ridiculous. As always, it's not that you're opposed to the tactics used by rich fucks to game the system I disagree with, it's that you take it one step further and deny basic physics, beyond even what most professional deniers do. Even the oil companies, the people with the most to lose, say you're wrong.

You have previously in this thread suggested that weather modification is behind a lot of what we're seeing, so you're obviously onboard with the idea that a few thousand tons of aerosols being sprayed from planes or remote installations can change the climate, but pumping tens of thousands of millions of tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere every year does nothing? We even know already that humans can change the climate, because we already did. Remember acid rain, or the hole in the ozone layer? Both caused by human emissions, and both dealt with by banning the release of the shit responsible.

The logic of burying wood as a means of carbon storage is a bad idea. Buried wood is more likely to decay by anerobic (without oxygen) processes rather than by aerobic micro-organisms. CO2 is a product of aerobic breakdown while methane is the product of anerobic breakdown. Methane is a stronger greenhouse gas than CO2. Compacted organic matter in landfill emits methane to the degree some landfills deliberately draw off the methane.
PufPuf93

Postby stickdog99 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:31 pm

Good point.
stickdog99

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion