Welcome to Rigorous Intuition v.2020! (admin issues thread)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Welcome to Rigorous Intuition v.2020! (admin issues thre

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:33 pm

^^^Elvis, I've always thought you a fair and judicious moderator. It's disappointing and sad to see you seemingly close ranks w/Jack in banning long-time board members.

stickdog99 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:24 pm wrote:Personally, I don't get it. I hadn't even read this yet. I guess that shows how much I hate board (or office) politics.

SLAD got weirdly obsessive with her flooding, so I could see limiting her to posting one new thread per day and only making personal rather than pasta comments on every other thread. The exact same limitation could have been enforced on AD, as far as I am concerned. Jerky was not a misnomer, but what's a political board today without a reliable neoliberal spokesperson?

As for all of the other bans, just put me on record of being largely a libertarian when it comes allowing the free expression of ideas. Personally, I don't even draw my line at Holocaust denial, or no planers, or crisis actors, or Obama birthers, or even flat Earthers. Why should I? Why can't we discuss this stuff? Why can't we just make fools of those who embrace unhelpful stupidity? I mean, none of you have had any problem stomping on my occassional bs, and I have evolved significantly as a result of getting destroyed for posting some utter nonsense here without first fully thinking it through.

Sure, Sounder said some stuff and posted some links I personally considered racist, brekin got the crazy idea folks' protesting police brutality was worse than supporting Hitler, and Mac (one of the sharpest minds here, in my worthless opinion) got strangely personal with anyone who disagreed with him on the topics he felt most strongly about. And while I did not see FB's supposed meltdown, I often enjoyed reading his unique input. But why should anyone care what I think about any of this? The intense personalization of all of my preceding commentary in this paragraph slightly sickens me. It reminds me of my biggest problem with hippies, which is that one of their favorite pastimes is to gossip about the lack of righteousness of other hippies they know.

Personally, I generally do my best to divorce content from the personalities providing it. Why worry about the messenger when you can attack the message? For example, the idea that a link to a wholly unobjectional article cannot be shared because it comes from a racist aggregator site has always puzzled me. Why not just point out that fact if it legitimately bothers you?

And why do we need to be protected against "bad ideas" in the first place? Why can't we argue against views we disagree with? And why can't I read those arguments? Sometimes I admit that I need to. In fact, the main reason I come back here consistently whenever something crazy happens is to get a sense of informed consensus, not enforced consensus.

Just my two cents.

"First they came for ... "

^^^Worth repeating in full. And, along with Willow’s persuasive and moving posts in this thread, pretty much say it all. Jack’s responses (to Willow and other posts in this thread) speak volumes to me in how he doesn’t seem to ‘get’ it. Maybe he can’t. But that, along with, over the years, the persistent ad hominems leveled against some members, lecturing and labeling, make him a “bad fit” (to use his term about Sounder) as a fair moderator, imho.

JackRiddler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:25 pm wrote:
... If you've ever shared a thought with brekin (I definitely did a few) or Sounder, that's okay. We don't want uniformity of thought.

We don't have a list of further targets. We don't want to act out an online reign of terror with user accounts...

Wow. Originally I thought there might be a master plan that came w/the (successful) ultimatum you issued Jeff about the conditions of continuing your membership (posted in another thread somewhere). Sounder and Brekin were ousted in almost one wave of the wand. It was really a shame to see you also check off Brekin so quickly :( . He’d recently come back to the board after a long absence and I, for one, was very glad to see him. Since you don’t have “a list of further targets, does that mean you’ll lay off Heaven Swan and 0_0 and let them share their thoughts, links, etc.? As not done with Sounder, AD, Brekin, et al., maybe you could now take a leap and trust that members can be discerning about the content they’re presented. We're not students in a classroom.

JackRiddler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:18 pm wrote:
.... It's a big world...

Not really. I think the last several months have shown how small it is. And strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNr1GChCVQM

It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack
You taught me all I know and I'll never look back
It's a very strange world and I thank you, Master Jack

You took a colored ribbon from out of the sky
And taught me how to use it as the years went by
To tie up all your problems and make them look neat
And then to sell them to the people in the street

You taught me all I know and I'll never look back

I saw right through the way you started teachin' me now
So some day soon you could get to use me somehow
I thank you very much and though you've been very kind
But I'd better move along before you change my mind

You know how I feel as if I'll never come back

You taught me all the things the way you'd like them to be
But I'd like to see if other people agree
It's all very interesting the way you disguise
But I'd like to see the world through my own eyes

No hard feelin's if I never come back
You're a very strange man and I thank you, Master Jack

I was going to post this in jest, but it’s too beautiful (and, the 2nd verse, poetic) a song for poking fun. (I vaguely remember the original release and probably switching the station-wasn’t my style of music. Hope I won’t be labeled misogynistic for choosing this group's (name) instead of the original, but I prefer the quality of this version.) Like w/all art, poetry, lyrics, etc.. listeners can interpret the ‘meaning’. I, personally, can see myself and many I’ve known in the lyrics.

Edit to add...Just saw this on WaPo front page--wow, serendipity? :wink

Dixie Chicks drop Dixie, change name to The Chicks: ‘We want to meet this moment.'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... me-chicks/
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Grizzly » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:28 pm

^^^
Seconding Cordelia, above..
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby dada » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:42 pm

'Manson, police chief' is pretty fantastic. The others are pretty good, too. Funny stuff. Plus, it provoked strong reaction. As art goes, I don't know what else could really be asked for. In my opinion, anyway. Fits all my requirements.

How dare brekin compare himself to the great, sublime Chekov, though! Indefensable. Boy, he sure upended the teatable of good taste with that bit, didn't he.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby dada » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:03 am

Was chump banned, or was his post on the cat thread deleted, or what. If some action was taken, it would be common courtesy to let the rest of the board know.

If action has been taken, I'd like to say that I've never had a problem with him. We don't view the world in the same way, but that never stopped us from having what I saw as productive interactions. One might even say we 'got along,' just fine. Even if I thought some of his sources were questionable. I'm sure he thinks the same about mine.

If no action has been taken, then forget it, this post doesn't matter. If yes, I'd like to point out that disappearing a post in a thread where the board is commiserating about cats is extremely bad form.

Never mind who is doing the commiserating, it might be your worst enemy in the whole big bad world. Removing the post would show a level of uncaring that I find unnacceptable. It immediately becomes about you, the mod.

The lack of basic human sympathy reflected in an action like that would be a deal breaker for me. I'd refuse to be associated with it, in any way. I can tolerate the nutty politics around here, like the 'condoleezza rice/joe biden thing going on. And I don't like the feeling of being lumped into some side show category like 'mad visions' in Jack's Rigorous Intuition brochure-speak. But I know he meant it kindly. And I would much rather be a guest, a fan, as WR put it, then be in the club. We all know what Groucho says about clubs. This cats thing, though. It would be going too far.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Cordelia » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:57 am

^^^
My first thought when I saw Chump's cat gone was that he must have changed his mind and removed it himself. :shrug: Chump being banned would be unforgivable. Hopefully Chump or mods will let us know.

I first read this:

One might even say we 'got along,' just fine.

as "One might even say we don't get along just fine." :wink

Maybe the (seemingly) new mod policy will be more tolerant of some member discord.

ETA Chump's still here. :) . viewtopic.php?f=34&t=38129&p=688893#p688893

(nts: Exercise more moderate paranoia over moderation.)

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

FFS

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 pm

Can someone point me to where this cat was supposed to have been?

Because the non-deletion of a presumably harmless cat I never saw, and the non-exclusion of the user who apparently posted it, has caused more ado about nothing than rumors of non-existent antifa visitors on their way to a Montana village.

Idiotically enough, and unlike pretty much every other board in the universe, your moderators here inform you (and the public) of every move they make, so that you can litigate this shit all year.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Cordelia » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:23 pm

This cat's napping in plain sight.

Image'

But here it is(n't) Jack...viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42123&p=688714&hilit=blue#p688714

Cordelia

Postby PufPuf93 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:59 pm

I am all for bringing back all the banned posters.

Do think SLAD should be limited to OPs and copy pasta in the SLAD forum and open to answering with her thoughts in other forums.

Likewise for American Dream.

I like the different opinions and have learned much I would otherwise not have a clue. Tend to the pattern than see something at RI then later the same topic or individuals pop up elsewhere and I notice when likely otherwise may have overlooked and also have a leg up on what I observe.

JackR

You are brilliant but perhaps a tad heavy handed at times.

Where else could but RI could one be so gently introduced to dicey subjects?
PufPuf93

Postby norton ash » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:45 pm

I'm for a ban amnesty as well. We're all free to scroll, ignore, refute, question, scold and negotiate with others ... I've always felt that way.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:42 pm

An idea/suggestion/thought: whenever I go to post any of the following, I always have to spend a moment searching for the link. Perhaps these threads could be collected in a special subfolder: Quotes, RI Quotes, Images Only, Video Only.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Elvis » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 am

liminalOyster » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am wrote:An idea/suggestion/thought: whenever I go to post any of the following, I always have to spend a moment searching for the link. Perhaps these threads could be collected in a special subfolder: Quotes, RI Quotes, Images Only, Video Only.

Nice idea, same here. Maybe call it the RI "Gallery" or similar. :thumbsup
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 pm

You mean perhaps like this?

(Let's see if anyone objects, it's a good idea! Bump candidates for it...)
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby liminalOyster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:07 pm

I just bumped the other 3 I was thinking of.......
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Did I overdo it?

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:08 pm

Any objections? Should there be others? Want a different name?

viewforum.php?f=64

JackRiddler

Reboot RI

Postby Cordelia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:19 pm

Bump

stickdog99 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:24 pm wrote:
Personally, I don't get it. I hadn't even read this yet. I guess that shows how much I hate board (or office) politics.

SLAD got weirdly obsessive with her flooding, so I could see limiting her to posting one new thread per day and only making personal rather than pasta comments on every other thread. The exact same limitation could have been enforced on AD, as far as I am concerned. Jerky was not a misnomer, but what's a political board today without a reliable neoliberal spokesperson?

As for all of the other bans, just put me on record of being largely a libertarian when it comes allowing the free expression of ideas. Personally, I don't even draw my line at Holocaust denial, or no planers, or crisis actors, or Obama birthers, or even flat Earthers. Why should I? Why can't we discuss this stuff? Why can't we just make fools of those who embrace unhelpful stupidity? I mean, none of you have had any problem stomping on my occassional bs, and I have evolved significantly as a result of getting destroyed for posting some utter nonsense here without first fully thinking it through.

PufPuf93 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 pm wrote:
I am all for bringing back all the banned posters.

Do think SLAD should be limited to OPs and copy pasta in the SLAD forum and open to answering with her thoughts in other forums.

Likewise for American Dream.

I like the different opinions and have learned much I would otherwise not have a clue. Tend to the pattern than see something at RI then later the same topic or individuals pop up elsewhere and I notice when likely otherwise may have overlooked and also have a leg up on what I observe.

norton ash » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:45 pm wrote:
I'm for a ban amnesty as well. We're all free to scroll, ignore, refute, question, scold and negotiate with others ... I've always felt that way.

Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion