AI can now identify conspiracy theories (UC Berkeley)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

AI can now identify conspiracy theories (UC Berkeley)

Postby liminalOyster » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:31 pm

Artificial Intelligence can now identify conspiracy theories in new early warning system
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI) capable of distinguishing real news and conspiracy theories has been developed, experts have announced.
By TOM FISH
PUBLISHED: 08:34, Fri, Jan 8, 2021 | UPDATED: 08:38, Fri, Jan 8, 2021

But University of California (UC) researchers have now developed an artificial intelligence tool able to distinguish an emerging new narrative and an unfounded conspiracy theory.

These tools could form the basis of an early warning system to alert authorities to online narratives that pose a threat in the real world

Timothy Tangherlini, A UC professor of Danish Literature and Culture, wrote: “It turns out that it’s possible to distinguish between conspiracy theories and true conspiracies by using machine learning tools to graph the elements and connections of a narrative.

“These tools could form the basis of an early warning system to alert authorities to online narratives that pose a threat in the real world.”

UC’s culture analytics group, also led by Vwani Roychowdhury, UC's professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, has designed an automated approach to determining when conversations on social media reflect the classic indications of conspiracy theories.

These methods were successfully tested on recent notorious conspiracy theory examples, including Pizzagate, the coronavirus pandemic and the anti-vaccination movements, and plans are already in place to next study QAnon.

Because almost all conspiracy theories occur online, the researchers were able to trace their origins to a series of often disjointed rumours and story pieces en route to forming a more comprehensive narrative.

Professor Tangherlini wrote: “For our work, Pizzagate presented the perfect subject.”

Pizzagate was the totally-unsubstantiated conspiracy theory linking prominent politicians with satanic paedophile trafficking, resulting with a man entering a Washington pizza parlour armed with an AR-15 rifle in 2016.

Researchers analysed 17,498 posts from April 2016 through February 2018 on the Reddit and 4chan fora where Pizzagate was discussed, via cutting-edge AI machine learning.

Machine learning algorithms parse swathes of data to determine the categories of things in the data and then identify which categories particular elements belong to.

This technique treated each post as a fragment of a hidden story in an attempt to unpick the narrative.

This is achieved by identifying the key people, places and events to distinguish the major from the minor elements and how their connections form the complete narrative.

This fabricated Pizzagate conspiracy theory was then compared with an actual conspiracy, known as Bridgegate – a political operation involving Republican Governor Chris Christie’s administration.

Two distinguishing features of a conspiracy theory’s narrative framework become clearer compared when the two separate collections.

First, while the narrative graph for Bridgegate took approximately seven years to develop, Pizzagate’s appeared fully-formed and stable within a month.

Second, Bridgegate’s data survived having elements removed, as opposed to Pizzagate’s which all-too easily crumbled.

Professor Tangherlini wrote: “When we removed the people, places, things and relationships that came directly from the interpretations of the WikiLeaks emails, the graph fell apart into what in reality were the unconnected domains of politics, casual dining, the private lives of the Podestas and the odd world of satanism.”

However, the researchers admit their work raises “clear ethical challenges”, as their methods could eventually exacerbate the conspiracy theory problem by generating additional posts to a conspiracy theory discussion.

And even more concerning, this AI tool could also develop an entirely new conspiracy theory.

Fortunately, they add how such an “early warning system” capable of tracking emerging conspiracy theories can one day help the authorities to react to real-world actions triggered by these narratives.

Professor Tangherlini added: “Perhaps with such a system in place, the arresting officer in the Pizzagate case would not have been baffled by the gunman’s response when asked why he’d shown up at a pizza parlour armed with an AR-15 rifle.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/ ... avirus-evg
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: AI can now identify conspiracy theories (UC Berkeley)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:29 am

Cool.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby stickdog99 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:54 pm

Hmmm. So some computer scientists have conspired to squash online dissent?
stickdog99

Postby DrEvil » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:27 pm

I'm sure it will be abused, but it could also make an excellent tool for researchers, folklorists and anthropologists. What if it could be reversed to figure out if a conspiracy theory is true? I would love to see someone feed it everything available on the JFK assassination or 9/11 and see what comes out.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

This is promotional hype, obviously

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:37 pm

And in this case, it matters that the publisher is The Daily Express!

The problem is they might actually sell this crap to the tech giants and get it worked into their algorithms. The results will be both repressive and arbitrary. We really are in a fucked, fucked time.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:52 pm

The problem is they might actually sell this crap to the tech giants and get it worked into their algorithms.

That ship sailed some years ago. This is years-old tech. And yes, it will (and has) essentially amount(ed) to another form of repression/thought-conditioning/info control.
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belligerent Savant

Postby dada » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:57 pm

Separating conspiracy signal from conspiracy noise. There's definitely a market for it.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby norton ash » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:25 pm

Today's trigger words are Adelson, Bowie, Belichick, McConnell, Shaman, Parler. Ok GO!
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 pm

dada » 13 Jan 2021 09:57 wrote:Separating conspiracy signal from conspiracy noise. There's definitely a market for it.

Its basically gonna source information and see if it stacks up against previously held ideas and some sort of internal logic. What BS and Jack said are pretty much spot on.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Marionumber1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:48 pm

It is a nice idea in principle, but what kind of data set are they using to assess which logical connections hold up?

Professor Tangherlini wrote: “When we removed the people, places, things and relationships that came directly from the interpretations of the WikiLeaks emails, the graph fell apart into what in reality were the unconnected domains of politics, casual dining, the private lives of the Podestas and the odd world of satanism.”

Under a conventional worldview that ignores parapolitical considerations, these things are all "unconnected". In reality, politics is related to casual dining and the other occurrences in peoples' private lives. That's how relationships form and backroom discussions are often had, which all but the most naive political observers would agree is very influential on politics. And it is of course verboten to talk about, but satanic crime and satanic ritual abuse are real occurrences which are heavily intertwined with our power structure.

This is not defending Pizzagate specifically, which I believe is largely a fake scandal (though perhaps with some kernel of truth about James Alefantis and the Podestas) to distract from real cases like Franklin and Epstein. But similar conspiracy cases with far more merit are also at risk of being classified as unfounded by this algorithm if there is a bias as to what constitutes factual logical connections. Not to mention the fact that "conspiracy theorists" are inherently working with a more limited ability to uncover facts than a scandal like Bridgegate that was properly investigated by the full force of the federal government. So it might appear that you can't take that many elements out of the case and still have a viable theory, even though it's just because you were stuck with fewer elements to start with.
Marionumber1

Postby dada » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:08 pm

I was only saying that it has marketable potential. Conspiracy is trendy, trending.

Bloodhound, your conspiracy sniffing pal. Cartoon dog, sherlock holmes hat, magnifying glass. Shoots up and plays the violin. Try it free for thirty days or your money back.

Brings us back to Bob again, thinking about his conspiracy encyclopedia, 'Everything is Under Control.' Great book for the coffee table or bathroom. There were web addresses at the end of some entries. They weren't hotlinks, this is a book we're talking about.

I'm leaving this amazon review for Everything is Under Control to say I'm very disappointed. Right out of the package, the hotlinks were all broken. Probably made in China. I want my money back.

Bob, hovering around.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby dada » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:37 pm

You point at a conspiracy and press 'sniff.' I'm saying the dog shoots up and plays the violin while you wait.
dada

Postby dada » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:32 pm

Full text of Everything is Under Control

https://archive.org/stream/EverythingIsUnderControlRobertAntonWilson/Everything%20Is%20Under%20Control%2C%20Robert%20Anton%20Wilson_djvu.txt

The single review from Archive gives the book 'one star.'

Reviewer: BookkLover - October 23, 2019
Subject: He's Making Fun of You

"The author of this book (who I think is shameful), essentially, goes to great lengths to make fun of people -- and profit from -- painting a negative picture of at anyone who believes in conspiracy theories. The main way he does this, is to suggest that if you believe Oswald didn't kill JFK, 9/11 didn't happen the way we were told, etc ... then you -- someone who wears a tinfoil hat -- also believe in Lizard people in underground bunkers, who rule the world.
He does this--on purpose--of course ... because it's how they PURPOSELY portray "conspiracy theorists" with one broad "mentally unstable" brush, to embarrass people from believing and/or researching conspiracies for themselves."
dada

Postby BenDhyan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:19 am

Your face apparently will be a dead giveaway to evolving AI facial recognition systems wrt your political persuasion.

Facial recognition technology can expose political orientation from naturalistic facial images

Absract
Ubiquitous facial recognition technology can expose individuals’ political orientation, as faces of liberals and conservatives consistently differ. A facial recognition algorithm was applied to naturalistic images of 1,085,795 individuals to predict their political orientation by comparing their similarity to faces of liberal and conservative others. Political orientation was correctly classified in 72% of liberal–conservative face pairs, remarkably better than chance (50%), human accuracy (55%), or one afforded by a 100-item personality questionnaire (66%). Accuracy was similar across countries (the U.S., Canada, and the UK), environments (Facebook and dating websites), and when comparing faces across samples. Accuracy remained high (69%) even when controlling for age, gender, and ethnicity. Given the widespread use of facial recognition, our findings have critical implications for the protection of privacy and civil liberties.
-snip-

Results
High predictability of political orientation from facial images implies that there are significant differences between the facial images of conservatives and liberals. High out-of-sample accuracy suggests that some of them may be widespread (at least within samples used here). Here, we explore correlations between political orientation and a range of interpretable facial features including head pose (pitch, roll, and yaw; see Fig. 3); emotional expression (probability of expressing sadness, disgust, anger, surprise, and fear); eyewear (wearing glasses or sunglasses); and facial hair. Those features were extracted from facial images and entered (separately and in sets) into tenfold cross-validated logistic regression to predict political orientation.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-79310-1

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby dada » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:42 am

Artificial intelligence can increase the accuracy of your pseudoscientific predictions. Computers can even read your horoscope.

I worry when things like this show up in Nature magazine. Has a whiff of eugenics about it.

The sorting hat sees what is in your heart.
dada

Next

Return to General Discussion