Re: Twitler

Postby DrEvil » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:09 pm

I find that offensive!
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:28 pm

The real problem with Twitter is that it exists.

For a start its a private space that people treat like a public square.

This is how the commons, and public space generally, dies.

Secondly, it has destroyed nuanced discussion. Remember Jeff's original essays on blogger or whatever site they were on?

That shit never happens on twitter. Even when some publishes a 30 tweet essay its limited by space and so nuance gets trashed.

Even without the obvious, algorithmic mind control implications or more accurately applications of the platform it has potent subtle ones.

Your venue of expression is owned by private interests so you depend on them to be able to speak and then they knowingly limit your ability to speech by packaging it in discrete measurably chunks. You are programming yourself to limit the extent of what you say cos of the limitations on tweet size.

Brevity is great and even more so if you are learning to write things I spose but this is beyond brevity.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:55 pm

I've blathered on about this before, but Joel Shepherd, an Australian scifi author, came up with a great concept that perfectly describes what Twitter and engagement algorithms does: compulsive narrative syndrome. It takes normal people with a passing interest in X, then it locks them in a dark room, removed from the usual moderating influences that human contact offers, and force-feeds them nothing but X until they become an extremist.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:13 am

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Previous

Return to General Discussion