Power of the mind

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Power of the mind

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:49 pm

This is a story I heard from a Youtube video. It came from a reddit post. I am going from memory so the details of it may be wrong but here goes: This college aged guy said he was playing football with his friends on the weekend. He caught the ball and WHAM! he was tackled, I think he got knocked out, came to and said he felt alright. They finished the game and life goes on.
He met a woman, he got married, they had a child together. One day he came home from work and for some reason he was bugged by a lamp in his home. He couldn't put his finger on it, but something about it just bothered him. For a while life went on, but at a certain point he couldn't get it out of his mind. At last he just sat there and stared at it. I think he said for two weeks. Or what felt like two weeks. It began to take it's toll. He didn't go to work and his wife began to be upset with him. After staring for the longest time, he figured out what was wrong. The lamp wasn't real. When he realized he "came to" and found himself in the back of a police cruiser on his way to the hospital.
Apparently what had happened is he was knocked out from the tackle, his friends called 911 and policeman showed up. He had been out for about 15 minutes.
To this day he can still remember his wife, the look of the child they had together and it depresses him.
That's what I find scary, not the loss per se, but the feeling of what could have, what might have been. I think it's incredible what our minds are capable of doing and creating. It reminded me of that Star Trek Next Generation episode, the Inner Light, where Picard experiences a whole alien lifetime in about 20 minutes of unconsciousness. This story is incredible to me. What did Milton write? The mind can make a hell out of heaven and heaven out of hell.
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to General Discussion