Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Quote Only Thread

Postby chump » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm

chump

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Kelton on Peterson TWEET 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:17 am

Not only is the “taxpayer money” frame damaging, it doesn’t reflect how public spending actually works. A household or a business may have to stash or borrow money before it can spend any, but we are users of the currency.

The U.S. government, which is the issuer of the currency, works differently: Congress votes to spend “new money” on something, then the Treasury and the Federal Reserve credit the relevant bank accounts, and...that’s it. The government has spent new money into existence.

Later, Congress may tax “old money” back out of existence, but it isn’t collecting money in order to spend it.

https://splinternews.com/the-dangerous- ... mpaign=top
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:19 pm

The “goldbugs” have mostly got it backwards: it was not gold that gave money its value but rather, gold had money value because its price was pegged in terms of money by the government authorities. This was done by promising to redeem gold for currency at a fixed exchange rate.

link
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:34 am

At the close of the essay "Eugenics and social reform" JBS Haldane suggests that "if you desire to check the increase of any population or section of the population, either massacre it or force upon it the greatest practicable amount of liberty, education and wealth. Civilisation stands in real danger from over-production of 'undermen'. But if it perishes from this cause it will be because its governing class cared more for wealth than for justice."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ane-review
Belligerent Savant

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:35 am

Marianne Williamson wrote:If you forcibly take a child from their parents’ arms, you are kidnapping them. If you take a lot of children and you put them in a detainment center, thus inflicting trauma upon them, that’s called child abuse. This is collective child abuse. … Both of those things are a crime. If your government does it, that doesn’t make it less of a crime. These are state-sponsored crimes.

From the 2nd night of the first democratic party event. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... me-twitter
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Grizzly » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:57 pm

^^^^Marianne,I'd vote for her, can't be any worse. You know unless it can... *drum roll* she's right in her presidential speech ( if anyone bothered to watch it, I did) that these motherfuckers are psychopaths running everything. My friend say's but "she's in a cult"! FUCK! aMERICA is a cult.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Elvis » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:18 pm

World poverty is viewed as solution, not a problem. The World Bank thinks of poverty as low-priced labor.

Michael Hudson
Elvis

Postby chump » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Tequila Sunrise:

“Maybe friendship isn’t supposed to last forever. Maybe it’s only supposed to go so far. Kinda like a set of tires; eventually they wear out and you’re riding around on nothing but air.”
chump

Postby chump » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:32 pm

“The behavior of termites, together with ants and bees, is a precursor to trust because they have an extraordinary ability to form relationships and sophisticated social structures based on mutual altruism even though individually they are fundamentally dumb. Money itself is a derivative of trust. If we can figure out how termites come together, then we may be able to better understand the underlying principles of market behavior – and make big money.”

Jeffrey Epstein
chump

Postby liminalOyster » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Child abuse is the most horrific of crimes, and editors, I would think, had some cognitive dissonance over what I was pitching them. To assuage their cognitive dissonance, they would much rather decide that I was crazy, or a conspiracy theorist, than to actually address the allegations.

Nick Bryant, Vanity Fair, 2019
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Cordelia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:11 pm

“So how, children, does the brain, which lives without a spark of light, build for us a world full of light?”

~Anthony Doerr All the Light We Cannot See ~
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby thrulookingglass » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:15 am

“Madame Hidalgo, you want to award me a medal for my acts of solidarity in the Mediterranean Sea, because our crews ‘work daily to save migrants in difficult conditions.’ At the same time, your police steal blankets from people forced to sleep on the street, while you repress demonstrations and criminalize those who defend the rights of immigrants and asylum seekers. You want to give me a medal for acts that you oppose within your own borders. I’m sure you will not be surprised to see me refuse your Grand Vermeil medal.” - Pia Klemp, the former captain of the refugee rescue ship Juventa
thrulookingglass

Postby Cordelia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:33 pm

"Most people think everybody feels about them much more violently than they actually do; they think other people's opinions of them swing through great arcs of approval or disapproval.”

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald Tender Is the Night~
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie