oil "shortage" a manufactured ploy to rip off worl

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Shell's Monkey Business

Postby proldic » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:10 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://energyseer.com/Monkey%20Business.pdf">energyseer.com/Monkey%20Business.pdf</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
proldic

Blog: View Blog (0)

two new articles

Postby manxkat » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:17 pm

OPEC Reveal Global Light Sweet Crude Peaked<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/8102.html">www.energybulletin.net/8102.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>and<br><br>The Breaking Point (NY Times)<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/8112.html">www.energybulletin.net/8112.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
manxkat

elites continue scam

Postby smiths » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:53 am

ahhh, those corporate controllers just keep churning out the oil stories to bamboozle us,<br>heres another from that bastion of global corporate thievery, an eternal friend of the american super rich powers that be, the chinese government<br><br>"China has sufficient supply of oil products, official says<br>        <br>China's current production, consumption, stockpile as well as import and export of oil products are well-balanced in general, with sufficient supply guaranteed, Li Yang, an official with the National Development and Reform Commission told Xinhua in an interview. <br><br>Li ruled out the possibility of oil products crisis in the country, saying recent insufficient supply in some parts of southern China resulted from natural disasters and international oil price hike. <br><br>"The government has taken urgent measures, and the insufficient supply in southern Guangdong Province will soon be alleviated," Li said. <br><br>Since Aug. 16, the China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec) and the China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), China's two oil giants, delivered 80,000 to 90,000 tons of oil products daily to Guangdong, which exceeded the regular consumption amount in the province. <br><br>Since the beginning of this year China's oil products market has been stable in general, said Li, and the demand for oil products can be met. <br><br>Source: Xinhua"<br><br><br>quite obviously every single nation on earth, whilst pretending to have huge divisions in public, has formed a secret oil club (SOC) to fool all the worlds poulation into paying heaps for all while they all get rich together, ummmmm.<br><br>occams razor anyone? <p></p><i></i>
smiths

Re: elites continue scam

Postby Dreams End » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:03 am

I am NOT jumping back into the oil...so to speak. However, it does occur to me that there are a lot of things we'd expect to see an empire do with or without peak oil and they are so similar that there'll be no way to tell the difference. <br><br>For example, even if there is a decent supply of oil...that doesn't mean that the US won't try to control the supply anyway, especially since God put most of it in the wrong place. Son, what's my oil doin' in YOUR yard? I don't know boss. Even if there's LOTS of oil, an empire would want to control great portions of it. Look how much power Saudi Arabia has. <br><br>Also, even if there is a decent supply (I don't assume an indefinite one, but, for the sake of argument, let's say enough to make it through the next couple decades) you would still see spikes in prices due to geopolitics, short term disruptions in supply due to accident and mismanagement and outright Enron style manufactured shortages.<br><br>In fact, you'd expect to see these things more if your country happened to be run by oil company executives, as ours seems to be, in large part. <br><br>So really, we have a lot to agree about. I think resource control is a big part of foreign policy...and always has been. So I could easily agree with Peak Oil folks about the basic cause for our actions in the Middle East or the Central Asian Republics or whatever. Whether it is to grab the last little bit of oil or to make sure our rival powers don't have control over too much of the world's oil to make our life difficult (e.g. Chavez), I don't know that things would look much different.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

fake?!

Postby wintler » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:10 am

Not sure, Dreams end, that Venezuela can really be called a rival power to USA - no nukes, no biological or chemical weapons, no bases in 100+ countries, no 'mandate' for unprovoked war..<br><br>And how exactly do you see an oil extraction peak being faked?<br><br>Either the production histories of dozens of countries have been faked, or the exploration results (from hundreds of profit-seeking petrogeologists) have been suppressed. Pray tell how.<br><br>How might things be different if oil extraction peak was faked? <br>Well, i'd expect the US Air Force to have organised things so its fuel bill didn't write off their research budget.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/7701.html">www.energybulletin.net/7701.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>And you'd expect the Bush junta's nominal constituency to reap some rewards for their docile obedience, but they're being gouged by petrol prices too. <br>Stocks and financial derivatives, the dear friends of Republican puppetmasters for generations, are under severe pressure from commodities as a store of wealth - whats that going to do to Bush's "just numbers on a piece of paper" approach to debt?<br><br>If faked, you'd expect the usual full-bench-press from the establishments many parrots across all major media - instead peak oil is oh so slowly leaking into public discussion, fifty years after M.K.Hubbert first raised the issue, 10 years after Colin Campbell went public with his data and the Association for Peak Oil & Gas formed to try & get the issue some attention. <br>Even today what coverage mentions it usually mis/under-represents the problem, and then quickly skates off into porkbarrel land ('Hydrogen highways', the Apollo Project..).<br><br>'The powers that be', assuming there is such a thing, seem set to milk energy descent for all its worth, but to conclude without any evidence that 'they' faked it, is completely irrational and overrates their powers in a distinctly unhelpful way.<br> <p></p><i></i>
wintler

'Proving' the elites' oil-shortage conspiracy...

Postby Starman » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:56 am

Why would anyone think they could 'prove' a contrarian position by depending on a SINGLE interview by a Chinese official, as if Chinese officials are automatically more credible than US officials? This shows a willingness to suspend skepticsm when it comes to criticizing evidence for tight oil supplies. It just so happens that many news reports directly contradict the official's claims that the oil shortages in the south of China aren't serious -- a few provided below. Did you ever even consider that China's playing a very delicate propaganda game and has a very keen interest to minimize its oil-supply problems? <br><br>Fact is -- India and China are poised to see big increases in their oil-energy needs as their booming middle class seeks to expand the private car market. These increasing oil demands will be a huge challenge for the world's oil suppliers to meet -- which is a major reason why the Chinese-majority-owned oil company CNOOC recently sought to buy Unocal. Interestingly, there are indications that US politicans were motivated to criticize the deal because of competing oil-interest lobbyist campaign contributions. Ah yes, the much-vaunted 'free market' <gag>. If you had done just a little more research, you'd have found that China has been subsidizing the high oil prices, racking up big losses, instead of passing costs along to customers, further aggravating an explosive situation. -- Yi Lang was trying to assure Chinese oil users as much as to calm the speculative oil-pricing market. Your 'rebuttal' is so oversimplistic I have little confidence in your grasp of this important issue -- hardly encouraging me to put much faith in your argument.<br><br>Your reference to Occams' Razor suggests you don't have a very-well developed understanding of the oil shortage issue re: meaning of Peak Oil. In this issue of whether high oil prices are due to an oil-monopoly conspiracy or to a tight market with little excess capacity, all other things are NOT equal. <br>In fact, it seems to me that the level of coordination required for competative oil companies to fix-prices and cut-back on production, falsifying industry, geological, financial and trade reports/data to convincingly fool non-industry observers and related service-providers and investment analysts etc, is FAR more complex an explanation than that accessable oil reserves are reaching the midpoint of recoverable capacity -- signalling the point at which oil recovery will become increasingly more difficult and expensive -- and which would be in-line with predictions extending from the Hubble Theory made about fifty-years ago.<br><br>To suggest that Occam's Razor somehow invalidates Peak Oil is to miss the point of what is being cut or why.<br><br>But don't give-up trying to disprove peak oil. Proof of such massive fraud might finally get people off their asses and demand the imperialist crooks be subject to real justice. As part of the sam we DO know, high oil prices are intimately linked to the trillions of dollars of killing-machines and weapons and appropriated labor and resources the status-quo essentially stole to keep their control of wealth and power -- all those trillions of dollars of materials and technology and labor that could have been used to provide global health-care and housing and viable local-sustainable economies and a high degree of energy-efficiency and self-reliance -- a massive increase in standards of living and quality of life that the people of the world were cheated from -- that's a far bigger crime and outrage than 'just' the doubling of crude-oil prices from last year, since it involves resource-wars, manipulated conflicts, continuuig the Federal Reserve Ponzi Scheme and debt-racket, war-crimes, war-profiteering, consolidation of wealth, abuse of power, and the institutionalization of corruption and crime and poisoning the planet ...<br><br>Playing the oil company 'blame game' is a red-herring distraction and diversion that avoids recognizing how the oil companies, the International Banking dynasties, the military-defense industry, crime-cartels, transnational corporations, politicos, global elites and other gangster-racketeers and the PTB are all linked in defrauding and exploiting ALL the people of the world. We should be damn outraged at the limited choices we've been left with.<br>Starman<br>***<br><br>From: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/news.php?cat=56">www.energybulletin.net/news.php?cat=56</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/8047.html">www.energybulletin.net/8047.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Beijing under pressure to tackle oil shortages<br>Richard McGregor, Financial Times (UK)<br>Rising anger in China over spreading fuel shortages is increasing pressure on Beijing and the local oil majors to devise a new pricing policy to head off future crises over oil supplies to motorists.<br>first published August 19, 2005.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/7831.html">www.energybulletin.net/7831.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Philipines energy crisis looms due to escalating oil hike<br>Staff, Philippine Information Agency [govt]<br>The Government has made the call to people to appreciate the looming crisis arising out of the unabated price of oil in the world market. According to Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye the country should face this challenge squarely and close ranks.<br>first published August 14, 2005.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/7313.html">www.energybulletin.net/7313.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Crude Fight<br>Matthew Forney, Time Asia<br>Wildcat drillers in China are battling Beijing after the State resumed rights over their oil wells.<br>first published July 19, 2005.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/7150.html">www.energybulletin.net/7150.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>US lawmakers meddle in CNOOC's Unocal bid<br>(Agencies/FT), China Daily<br>Washington lawmakers who have expressed opposition to CNOOC's US$18.5 billion bid for Unocal Corp have received more than US$100,000 in campaign contributions from rival bidder Chevron since 2002, the Financial Times reported, citing publicly available filings in the US. <br>first published July 7, 2005.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/7035.html">www.energybulletin.net/7035.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Adding fuel to the fire<br>John Vidal, The Guardian<br>Car ownership in developing countries will overtake the west, but oil demand threatens global stability.<br>first published July 1, 2005.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/6981.html">www.energybulletin.net/6981.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>China's bid for Unocal<br>Staff, Energy Bulletin<br>China on global hunt to quench its thirst for oil / China's bold bid for global energy / Unocal deal: a lot more than $ at issue / China oil bid to get close scrutiny / Secretive US panel could block China's Unocal bid / Krugman: the Chinese challenge / World oil giants fighting here, partnering there / China's costly quest for energy control<br>first published June 28, 2005.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/6956.html">www.energybulletin.net/6956.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>China throws down gauntlet to USA Inc<br>Frank Kane, The Observer<br>If you want to understand the global economy and feel the pulse of capitalism in the early 21st century, look no further than the $19 billion bid by the China National Oil Operating Company - Cnooc - for Unocal of California. Add a large measure of geopolitical tension, and you have probably the single most important corporate event of the young millennium.<br>first published June 26, 2005.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/6459.html">www.energybulletin.net/6459.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>China exploring ways to use forex reserves to buy oil - report<br>sharon.wu@xinhuafinance.com, AFX<br>China is exploring ways to use some of its huge foreign exchange reserves to buy imported oil, the Shanghai Securities News reported, citing an unidentified source. The newspaper said the plan, which was first proposed as early as 2000, would reach the twin objectives of making better use of the nation's foreign exchange and ensuring vital oil supplies.<br>first published May 31, 2005.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/6005.html">www.energybulletin.net/6005.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Asian countries subsidizing fuel hit hard by higher oil prices<br>AFP staffer, Channel NewsAsia/Agence France Presse<br>KUALA LUMPUR : Higher oil prices are creating major problems for Asian countries which subsidize fuel costs, threatening economic growth if the subsidies are kept in place and consumer outrage if they are not.<br>first published May 9, 2005.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Starman

shall we step back a little?

Postby Sokolova » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:20 am

Fact is, none of us really knows what is going on. All we have are reports from other people - who in turn may or may not know what is going on. So, a wise course would seem to be skeptical of everything and keep all options open. <br><br>Like a lot of people here I am suspicious of bandwagons, which tend to signal either mass hysteria or political manipulation. That is why so many people are feeling wary around this subject.<br><br>Yes, it's common sense that we'll run out of oil some day. And common sense to do something about it now. People have been saying that for thirty years God knows. <br><br> But that doesn't invalidate the possibility that the current 'Peak Oil' might be exaggerated or illusory. Of course you have to factor in the physical limitations of the oil supply, but you also have to factor in the potential for that limitation to be manipulated for political ends - or to be simply grabbed and made the focus of human hysteria.<br><br>Whenever we confront the newest prediction of disaster it does make sense to remember that every age has believed it was the last before the deluge, and increasingly in modern times we seem addicted to predicting our own imminent species-demise. We thought nuclear bombs would get us (yes maybe they still will); in the 1970s there was going to be a new Ice Age that would wipe us out; then came <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>global warming,</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> the <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Millenium Bug</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>killer asteroids</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em> SARS</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> (which killed no more people than a bad dose of flu), <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Global Terrorism</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>WMDs</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, the <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Bird Flu</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, and now - <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Peak Oil</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->.<br><br>Some of these 'threats' were totally imaginary, some are real but vanishingly small, and the jury is still out on others. But the mere fact that so many scares are proliferating has its own story to tell. Are they being planted conspiracy-wise as some here think? Or are they a symptom of some kind of growing species hysteria? <br><br>Either way we need to know what Peak Oil's relationship to the rest of the recent panics actually is, and until we do we don't really know what is going on. <br><br>Does this mean we should just shrug and ignore it? <br>No. I believe we should invest in renewables and try and clean up our world - whether Peak Oil is real or not. <br>But I also think we should resist being panicked to order, resist the call to follow the herd, remember the bigger picture and just stay a little to one side until we have a better idea of what is at the bottom of it all. <br><br>Ellie <p></p><i></i>
Sokolova

bandwagon?

Postby manxkat » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:49 pm

Ellie, thanks for your thoughts. I tend to agree although I would take issue that there's a "bandwagon" regarding Peak Oil. Yes, there's a lot more information coming out and more people learning about the issue, but it's still a very small fraction of the population. It's not like the bandwagon of people jumping into the stock market in the 1990s. It's still business as usual in this country -- most people's heads are in the sand on just about every issue of importance. Denial rules the day.... <br><br>I don't think we're being manipulated to panic about Peak Oil -- and I don't think there's a herd mentality going on. The herd is still watching corporate media, drinking beer, and avoiding the tough questions. If the Bush administration were succesfully making Peak Oil a mainstream issue, either directly or covertly, you'd begin to see a real change in priorities in this country. It ain't happening....<br> <p></p><i></i>
manxkat

Previous

Return to Energy Issues