IEA chief: worldwide energy crisis looming

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

IEA chief: worldwide energy crisis looming

Postby proldic » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:47 pm

Reuters 9/03/05 <br> <br>IEA chief warns of worldwide energy crisis<br><br>The head of the West's energy watchdog said in an interview on Saturday that Hurricane Katrina could spark a worldwide energy crisis if damage to U.S. refineries led to a big increase in U.S. purchases of European petrol.<br><br>"If the crisis affects oil products then it's a worldwide crisis. No one should think this will be limited to the United States," Claude Mandil, head of the Paris-based International Energy Agency (IEA) told German daily Die Welt.<br><br>"They are already buying gasoline in Europe. If the refineries are damaged, that will only increase. Then this will become a worldwide crisis very quickly."<br><br>Mandil told the paper that high oil prices represented a risk for global economic growth and urged consumers to alter their behaviour to save more energy and limit the fallout.<br><br>Poor countries were bound to suffer most from a recent surge in energy prices, which has been aggravated by Katrina and the shortages it has caused, he said.<br><br>On Friday, the IEA launched a rescue plan to ease those shortages, saying its 26 members would release two million barrels per day of oil over a 30-day period.<br><br>U.S. gasoline prices have spiked by nearly a fifth over the past week, pushing up fuel prices around the world.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-09-03T142124Z_01_MOL351670_RTRUKOC_0_UK-ENERGY-IEA-CRISIS.xml">today.reuters.co.uk/news/...CRISIS.xml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
proldic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: IEA chief: worldwide energy crisis looming

Postby DrDebugDU » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:54 pm

I think that the subject is wrong:<br><br>IEA chief: creating a worldwide energy crisis<br><br>Because disasters can and will be exploited for huge profits... <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Energy Issues