We need new words

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

We need new words

Postby Jerky » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:19 pm

In The Long Emergency, his chilling meditation on the complex of crises that lies in wait for us on the other side of the Peak Oil divide, author James Howard Kunstler wrote the following:<br><br>"I'm not optimistic about the Southeast... I think it will be subject to substantial levels of violence as the grievances of the formerly middle class boil over and collide with the delusions of Pentecostal Christian extremism. The latent encoded behavior of Southern culture includes an outsized notion of individualism and the belief that firearms ought to be used in the defense of it. This is a poor recipe for civic cohesion."<br><br>It has been said that any civilization, no matter how advanced, is only three meals away from anarchy, and part of me is just paranoid enough to harbor the niggling suspicion that the Bush administration's delayed response to Hurricane Katrina might constitute an experiment of sorts. Perhaps that which resembles mismanagement is actually purposeful agency, disguised as blunder and implemented by sacrificial goats. <br><br>Perhaps the Powers That Be let the world historic city of New Orleans be transformed into an overflowing, corpse-clogged toilet because they needed a proving ground to test their latest theories, or to see if Kunstler was on to something. <br><br>Perhaps they're working out the kinks in their social control mechanisms in anticipation of the day they finally begin their long-planned dismantling of the socio-historical aberration that is the American middle class, from whose ashes will rise a new civil society, wherein the typical citizen/subject will have far less access to information and not a whole lot of free time to waste worrying about things that don't directly concern him. Because, after all, is there not truth in cliché? Information is power. And power in the wrong hands is dangerous. And idle hands do the Devil's work.<br><br>Or perhaps they really are that bad at their jobs. At this point, it's hard to say which scenario is more troubling.<br><br>In any case, one thing is certain: we desperately need a new word to describe the Bush administration's cluelessness, incompetence, malevolence and negligence in the weeks since Mother Nature tore the Gulf states a new asshole, because when Celine Dion starts making sense, it's time to revise the vocabulary. "Tragicomic" isn't cutting it anymore. "Catastrofarcical" might work, or maybe "Apocalyptarded".<br><br>So much has happened in these last few weeks, and so much smoke and chaff have been blown into our collective national media view-screen that getting a handle on the reality of the situation seems almost impossible. <br><br>In the last two days, I've been inundated with scores of mass-forwarded e-mails, all attempting to absolve the Bush administration of blame, and each more bullshit-laden than the last. <br><br>Uncharacteristically, Time and Newsweek have both weighed in with none-too-reassuring glimpses into a deeply dysfunctional, absolutely disconnected White House, where a "Chinese phone line" of panicking yes-men draw straws to decide who gets to interrupt the Preznit's nap to break bad news to him. <br><br>Interesting times, no doubt about it. <p></p><i></i>
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: We need new words

Postby Dreams End » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:25 pm

Glad you're back. What was up with that albanian language message on your last post? Babelfish doesn't do albanian but I ran a search on some of the words and there were all kinds of "Albanian Dictionary" ads on the side in Google. Kinda weird.<br><br>This made my day:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Catastrofarcical" might work, or maybe "Apocalyptarded"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Our Katrina thread has sunk low...but it's there if you are interested..."Martial Law in New Orleans." <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

There are many new words

Postby DrDebugDU » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:45 pm

Didn't you know about <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://urbandictionary.com">urbandictionary.com</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Yesterday's new words incl. new meanings for an existing word (<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>682 !</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->):<br>!1<br>"ca'on"<br>"Gina"<br>"skat whale"<br>2pac<br>36-24-36<br>50 Cent<br>50 Cent<br>730<br>9/11<br>:C<br><br>A - Tosser<br>a bad taste in my mouth<br>a badunkadunk butt<br>A Canadian<br>A Cardboard-Box<br>A Dirty<br>A duck!<br>a good time<br>A jeep thing<br>a pot to piss in<br>a spaz<br>a TRUE green day fan<br>A.C.<br>Abercrombie<br>abortion<br>AC/DC<br>ace<br>ADD<br>advan<br>Air Force<br>Akira Kurosawa<br>alone<br>always<br>America<br>America<br>america<br>american idiot<br>Americanadian<br>amg<br>anal<br>Angry Dragon<br>AOL<br>Army<br>asian<br>asian<br>asian failing<br>ass clown<br>ATB<br>Avril Lavigne<br>axesome<br><br>etc.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/yesterday.php">www.urbandictionary.com/yesterday.php</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>So what's axesome<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>When something is so much more than just awesome it is axesome. Originates from some misspellings on the net and became part of l33t speak. Now it's just the one word that truly describes perfection.<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Let's check out 9/11 according to urbandictionary<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>The day Bush knocked down the towers.<br><br>Bush murdered 3000 innocent people so that he could justify his evil wars in which he could murder another 100,000 innocent people. Thank God George Bush is our President.<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>So you see there is still hope. Just wait a couple of years and it'll be in the regular dictionary as well... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=drdebugdu>DrDebugDU</A> at: 9/15/05 1:47 pm<br></i>
DrDebugDU

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Energy Issues