Mobile phones 'more dangerous than smoking'

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby nomo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:28 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 02602.html

Brain expert warns of huge rise in tumours and calls on industry to take immediate steps to reduce radiation

By Geoffrey Lean
Sunday, 30 March 2008

Mobile phones could kill far more people than smoking or asbestos, a study by an award-winning cancer expert has concluded. He says people should avoid using them wherever possible and that governments and the mobile phone industry must take "immediate steps" to reduce exposure to their radiation.

The study, by Dr Vini Khurana, is the most devastating indictment yet published of the health risks.

It draws on growing evidence – exclusively reported in the IoS in October – that using handsets for 10 years or more can double the risk of brain cancer. Cancers take at least a decade to develop, invalidating official safety assurances based on earlier studies which included few, if any, people who had used the phones for that long.

Earlier this year, the French government warned against the use of mobile phones, especially by children. Germany also advises its people to minimise handset use, and the European Environment Agency has called for exposures to be reduced.

Professor Khurana – a top neurosurgeon who has received 14 awards over the past 16 years, has published more than three dozen scientific papers – reviewed more than 100 studies on the effects of mobile phones. He has put the results on a brain surgery website, and a paper based on the research is currently being peer-reviewed for publication in a scientific journal.

He admits that mobiles can save lives in emergencies, but concludes that "there is a significant and increasing body of evidence for a link between mobile phone usage and certain brain tumours". He believes this will be "definitively proven" in the next decade.

Noting that malignant brain tumours represent "a life-ending diagnosis", he adds: "We are currently experiencing a reactively unchecked and dangerous situation." He fears that "unless the industry and governments take immediate and decisive steps", the incidence of malignant brain tumours and associated death rate will be observed to rise globally within a decade from now, by which time it may be far too late to intervene medically.

"It is anticipated that this danger has far broader public health ramifications than asbestos and smoking," says Professor Khurana, who told the IoS his assessment is partly based on the fact that three billion people now use the phones worldwide, three times as many as smoke. Smoking kills some five million worldwide each year, and exposure to asbestos is responsible for as many deaths in Britain as road accidents.

Late last week, the Mobile Operators Association dismissed Khurana's study as "a selective discussion of scientific literature by one individual". It believes he "does not present a balanced analysis" of the published science, and "reaches opposite conclusions to the WHO and more than 30 other independent expert scientific reviews".
nomo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Asta » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:48 pm

I guess I need some clarification.

Does Mobile Phone = Cell Phone?

Or should we also include cordless phones, like I use at home?

I rarely ever use my cell phone -- it's for emergency only. But geesh, I use my cordless phone alot!

I am not very learned in these fields of technology so I would greatly appreciate someone's input so I won't worry myself to death.

Thanks!
Asta

Postby Penguin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Mobile = cell. Cord phone is ok.
Mobiles / Cells are really small radio transmitters / receivers, working about at the same frequencies as microwave ovens.

Here in Finland, the government assures us theres no danger at all from mobiles, even thou they admit "cell and dna changes have been proven ,but they are negligible, and of NO CONCERN." Im sure the fact that Nokia is a finnish company has nothing to do with this.
Penguin

Postby American Dream » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Asta wrote:
Does Mobile Phone = Cell Phone?

Or should we also include cordless phones, like I use at home?

Yes, mobile phones are the same as cell phones. Also, from what I understand, cordless phones are dangerous, too. Note also that handsets on cell phones are associated here with the same sorts of effects on the brain.

I can not claim to be an expert on these matters, but here's links to some articles that may be useful:

The Institute for Science in Society has some useful information on the topic, and Nick Begich also has useful information, as well as a product that may help reduce the damage from these sorts of electromagnetic fields.
American Dream

Postby Penguin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:16 pm

AD: could you give some links to dangers of regular phones? Im not familiar with any..Imho, they dont generate microwaves, but every electronic appliance does create some kind of magnetic fields.

Regular phones work completely differently from mobiles.

"The voice parts of the telephone are in the handset, and consist of a transmitter (often called microphone) and a receiver. The transmitter, powered from the line, puts out an electric current which varies in response to the acoustic pressure waves produced by the voice. The resulting variations in electric current are transmitted along the telephone line to the other phone, where they are fed into the coil of the receiver, which is a miniature loudspeaker. The varying electric current in the coil causes it to move back and forth, reproducing the acoustic pressure waves of the transmitter. When a party "hangs up" (puts the handset on the cradle), DC current ceases to flow in that line, thus signaling to the exchange switch to disconnect the telephone call."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone
Penguin

Postby American Dream » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Penguin wrote:
AD: could you give some links to dangers of regular phones? Im not familiar with any..Imho, they dont generate microwaves, but every electronic appliance does create some kind of magnetic fields.

My understanding is that corded land-line phones are the safest and best. The link I gave above from ISIS, The Institute for Science in Society, contains an article on why cordless, land-line phones are now considered as possibly dangerous.
American Dream

Postby Penguin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Ah yeah, sorry missed that. Cordless ones are of course also radio transmitters. Just like wireless internet also. I dont think any radio transmitter close to your head can be good..Dont have any wirelsee devices either, though I loathe my phone nowadays, since here everyone has a cellphone, and its impossible to get things done without having one. I guess I should geat a corded hands free set so I could have the phone well away from my body when Im using it. That should help a lot.

Also the cell phone link towers are beasts. The transmitters there are pretty powerful, and you can thank your good luck if you dont live with one on your rooftop. Theres good evidence that cell link towers may cause leukemia and other cancers.

Edit: I seem to be reading like a blind man and typing like a cripple today..Sorry bout that :)
Penguin

Postby OP ED » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:34 pm

great.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby yathrib » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Has this been in the U.S. press anywhere? I thought not...
yathrib

new things to worry about

Postby annie aronburg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:12 pm

This seems like as good a place as any to mention that sleeping with a clock radio next to your head is no good for the same reasons.

I'm so freaked out about EMF/EMR safety that I had my house wired with a kill-switch so I can turn off the power to all the outlets.

This is supposed to save on energy consumption, but I did it so I could sleep without electricity swirling around me.

The crystal people say black tourmaline is supposed to help with these issues, if you go that way.

Annie
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby posting tulpa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:02 pm

yathrib wrote:Has this been in the U.S. press anywhere? I thought not...

Because the US News is the stuff to believe right? They never lie or omit things. :roll:
... and still, people like me are called anti-Semitic… nut jobs… and of course, ‘racist’ by members of the self-chosen at any one of the sewer forums where they gather to gang rape the truth.-Les Visible
posting tulpa

Postby yathrib » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:40 pm

Actually, my comment should be taken as an indictment of the U.S. press.

posting tulpa wrote:

Because the US News is the stuff to believe right? They never lie or omit things. :roll:
yathrib

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:18 pm

Another thing about cell phones is where you store them.. so many people clip them to a belt or put them in their pocket. It is still sending and receiving signals when not in use, isn't it? Keep that mofo as far away as possible (or turn it off when not in use).
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Occult Means Hidden » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:25 pm

yathrib wrote:Actually, my comment should be taken as an indictment of the U.S. press.

posting tulpa wrote:

That's exactly how your comment is interpreted. Tulpa is obviously very cynical. Aren't ya Tulpa?
Rage against the ever vicious downward spiral.
Time to get back to basics. [url=http://zmag.org/zmi/readlabor.htm]Worker Control of Industry![/url]
Occult Means Hidden

Postby chlamor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:36 pm

A journey into the most savage war in the world

My travels in the Democratic Vacuum of Congo

This is the story of the deadliest war since Adolf Hitler’s armies marched across Europe. It is a war that has not ended. But is also the story of a trail of blood that leads directly to you: to your remote control, to your mobile phone, to your laptop and to your diamond necklace. In the TV series ‘Lost’, a group of plane crash survivors believe they are stranded alone on a desert island, until one day they discover a dense metal cable leading out into the ocean and the world beyond. The Democratic Republic of Congo is full of those cables, mysterious connections that show how a seemingly isolated tribal war is in reality something very different.

This war has been waved aside as an internal African implosion. In reality it a battle for coltan and diamonds and cassiterite and gold, destined for sale in London and New York and Paris. It is a battle for the metals that make our technological society vibrate and ring and bling, and it has already claimed four million lives in five years and broken a population the size of Britain’s. No, this is not only a story about them. This – the tale of a short journey into the long Congolese war we in the West have fostered, fuelled and funded – is a story about you.

http://www.johannhari.com/archive/article.php?id=863

Cellphones fuel Congo conflict

Cellphones may have revolutionized the way we communicate, but in Central Africa their biggest legacy is war.

Nearly 3 million people have died in Congo in a four-year war over coltan, a heat-resistant mineral ore widely used in cellphones, laptops and playstations. Eighty percent of the world's coltan reserves are in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The mountainous jungle area where the coltan is mined is the battleground of what has been grimly dubbed "Africa's first World War," pitting Congolese forces against those of six neighbouring countries and numerous armed factions.

The victims are mostly civilians. Starvation and disease have killed hundreds of thousands and the fighting has displaced 2 million people from their homes.
Often dismissed as an ethnic war, the conflict is really over natural resources sought by foreign corporations -- diamonds, tin, copper, gold, but mostly coltan.
At stake for the multitude of heavily armed militias and governments is a cut of the high-tech boom of the 1990s, which sent the price of coltan skyrocketing to peak at US$400 per kilo. Coltan -- short for colombo-tantalite -- is refined into tantalum, a "magic powder" essential to many electronic devices.

The war started in 1998 when Congolese rebel forces, backed by Rwanda and Uganda, seized eastern Congo and moved into strategic mining areas, attacking villages along the way.

http://www.seeingisbelieving.ca/cell/kinshasa/

It is a war for coltan. It is a massacre for technology. It is impossible for me to get anyone's attention on this. I have tried on discussion board's, leafletting, tabling and people just look away.

Noone wants to face the reality of how their daily habits fuel the slaughterhouse.

Few- Well actually None- will give up their toys, the very toys that guarantee their own demise.

Who is calling you all the time, all day all night?

It is me calling you oh techno-man of the West wondering why you come to kill me.

Why do you seem to think the thunder in my ground is for you to steal?

Why do you think my life of fourteen-year-old prostitution-death-by-twenty is here to serve your need to know where you are all the time when you never know where you are any of the time?

Is this okay for you to force me into servitude for your colonial consumerism?

I know its long distance and collect but really who is paying the price here?
Liberal thy name is hypocrisy. What's new?
chlamor

Next

Return to General Discussion