What dance are you dancing right now?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

What dance are you dancing right now?

Postby barracuda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:22 pm

The dancer's body is simply the luminous manifestation of the soul. - Isadora Duncan

I thought some of you wild creatures might be interested in the techniques associated with the Parisian style Apache dance. Sometimes the male partner "wins" these exhibitions, but not always. And, if that's not energetic enough, there's always a Krump Battle to enjoy. So, have you got any major moves you've been breaking out?

Another in the always popular "Right Now™" series of Lounge Topics.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

grungy

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:50 pm

Beat Girl

As long as it's with Oliver Reed, I don't care what dance I'm dancing....
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby sunny » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:48 pm

barracuda, you've been reading my mind. Seriously, I just started a Belly Dance class last night. I'm hooked!
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby IanEye » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:09 pm

i am dancing the 'funky 16 corners'.....

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby FourthBase » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:56 pm

“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby Art Van De Lay » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:57 pm

I hadn't seen this one for a while...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_UsDrreJeo

:D
Art Van De Lay

We dance just as good as we want

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:25 pm

In Houston, we just started a new dance, it's called the
Tighten Up!
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby compared2what? » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:59 pm

I love this thread. Nice to remember that we're getting close to my favorite season.

Plus, in this context, I am thought, which is unbounded by space and time, and thus doesn't have to be large to contains multitudes of dances.

Hmm. In reality, I couldn't probably manage more than a gesture in the direction of the dance craze that's either already well underway or just beginning pretty much all over the world. People don't rush out of the theater in a state of self-protective outrage after a short unadulterated dose of the real thing, fully revealed for no reason, however. And I admit to being a woman of the people, in that regard.

I do believe in the dictum that when youfree your mind, your ass will follow. The price of liberty does sometimes entail at least appearing to conform to the routines of capitalism successfully enough to remain free. Otherwise, you may end up drifting toward a world of darker enchantment where your freedom might easily get lost in the murk, leaving you unaware that you are now really just dancing in someone else's nightmare.. And even if you do get out, it might not be so easy to distinguish the boundary between dancing and slavery.

Nevertheless, everything is beautiful at the the ballet. (ON EDIT NOW WITH NEW ORIGINALLY INTENDED LINK!). And I think we all know why the caged bird dances.

Personally, I like a little variety..

It's totally pathetic that I could happily do this all day. But you probably get the point.

Now get up offa that thing. Shake it, you'll feel better.
Last edited by compared2what? on Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
compared2what?

Postby OP ED » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:25 pm

I do not dance.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby compared2what? » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:39 pm

OP ED wrote:I do not dance.

May I please, please ask you anyway? You can reject me in stony silence, or with a snarl as you prefer. That almost qualifies as dance of a certain kind by itself.

Below, my honest first response to the question posed by the thread, which I went to a lot of trouble to suppress. Despite which, I love it truly and consider it to be not only a conduit to the sublime, but one of exceptional beauty. It just fukken made me cranky that it was the answer my subconscious immediately supplied when asked to what tune it danced.

So. Just my opinion. But if you ask me, parents might not want to introduce their little girls to the strong magic of such great art imbued with such dark portent when they are really still much too little to draw a hard line between who they are and what they experience. That's all I have to say on the subject and anyway, I now must go hold my breath until my face turns blue.

Meanwhile, YouTube will be offering dance that could not be more beautiful to me than if it it had arrived in my subconscious via a direct link to the dreams of ancient gods:

Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene 2, choreographed for the Royal Ballet by the late Sir Kenneth MacMillan.
Last edited by compared2what? on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
compared2what?

booot-oh

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:50 pm

yeah, you do....
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Sexy Grandma Priestess

Postby annie aronburg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:02 am

I'm not saying who sent me these cough Jeff cough but it seems wrong not to share in light of this thread.

Prepare to be enchanted...

Lonely Drifter -Dance by RASA Von Werder

REMOVE ILLUMINATI POWER BY EXORCISM - RASA Von Werder
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

heavy into research...

Postby barracuda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:31 am

I am presently at the barre, limbering up before my usual routine: plié, port de bras, rond de jambe, changement, on and on, first, second, fifth, fourth arabesque... culminating in a series of gran jetés that take me higher and higher... A short break to check upon the progress of this thread ensues and...! I have to say researching this thread has its rewards, namely the other dance associated with annie aronburg's recommendation, Beat Girl. Hmmm. British cinema of the sixties begins to impress me more and more. I had no idea that Christopher Lee did anything before Revenge of the Sith. Ahh, well, back to it, 2, 3, and... changement, changement, boogaloo, changement...

and, compared2what?, there is abolutely nothing pathetic about it whatsoevah.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby OP ED » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:28 am

compared2what? wrote:

May I please, please ask you anyway? You can reject me in stony silence, or with a snarl as you prefer. That almost qualifies as dance of a certain kind by itself.

Below, my honest first response to the question posed by the thread, which I went to a lot of trouble to suppress. Despite which, I love it truly and consider it to be not only a conduit to the sublime, but one of exceptional beauty. It just fukken made me cranky that it was the answer my subconscious immediately supplied when asked to what tune it danced.

So. Just my opinion. But if you ask me, parents might not want to introduce their little girls to the strong magic of such great art imbued with such dark portent when they are really still much too little to draw a hard line between who they are and what they experience. That's all I have to say on the subject and anyway, I now must go hold my breath until my face turns blue.

Meanwhile, YouTube will be offering dance that could not be more beautiful to me than if it it had arrived in my subconscious via a direct link to the dreams of ancient gods:

Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene 2, choreographed for the Royal Ballet by the late Sir Kenneth MacMillan.

I sat through all 9:46 of that, btw. Even though I consider R&J to be an [relatively] inferior Shakespearean composition from a purely literary point of view. That's how much i like you. :wink:

I have been coerced/subverted into dancing for other peoples' amusement before. Mostly to appease [former] girlfriends.

The music I enjoy does not inspire me to move, rather it compells my stillness. I derive no pleasure from movement to noise, personally. Watching dance, on the other hand, is something I can perceive the art in, even if it doesn't individually affect me in that way.

I have a rather, um, fiery friend, who digs Circe du Soleil, so I've seen them do their half-dance performance circus art a dozen times, and I generally found it less than excruciating.

Of course, just because my ass never feels the urge to move to outdated funk beats doesn't mean I don't appreciate them. I always hear them in my head when I'm out walking the streets. I'm just too cool to let it affect me. 8)

Annie:

You know, that Butoh does remind me of an LSD/DXM/SVD trip I had once where some evil person took photographs of me doing TAICHI. it looked something like that, on account of my being skinny, nearly naked, bald, and covered in body paint. something like that.

Barracuda. There are no words.

Love is Law,
SCHR
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby Searcher08 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 am

Searcher08