Keyword Hijacking=HMW

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:42 am

Looks to me like he's playing pocket pool.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:01 pm

Osama Bin Laden
Obama Bi den

???

Hey, I'm just saying
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Eldritch » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:08 pm

8bitagent wrote:Osama Bin Laden
Obama Bi den

???

Hey, I'm just saying

I don't hold with too many examples of "keyword hijacking,"
but this one does have an especially compelling ring to it.

"KH" is still problematic for me though, overall.
Eldritch

Postby Jeff » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Eldritch wrote:I don't hold with too many examples of "keyword hijacking,"

I think it's a fascinating example, but of what exactly I'm unsure. But I don't think it's anything as mundane as the machinations of human spooks.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Eldritch » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Jeff wrote:

I think it's a fascinating example, but of what exactly I'm unsure. But I don't think it's anything as mundane as the machinations of human spooks.

I don't either.

But I will say, with a dash of tongue-in-cheek irony, that I wouldn't put it passed the "non-human spooks." :D
Eldritch

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Jeff wrote:

I try and explain to people that looking at "synchronicities" doesn't necessarily mean there's some CIA spooks deliberately manipulating all flows of expression and media...just that sometimes in the cosmic lotto power ball of things, sometimes stuff makes you go "huh...well will you look at that?"

Like say...the power lotto number for New York state lottery on 9/11/2002
being "911"

"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Eldritch wrote:I don't either.

But I will say, with a dash of tongue-in-cheek irony, that I wouldn't put it passed the "non-human spooks." :D

We won't get into that subject on here, out of respect for Hugh:)
8bitagent

Postby MinM » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:47 am

Mad Men: Found in the room where Pete had to generate a sample...
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby MinM » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 am

KWH utilized at the beginning of this movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvXVhU36Wfs

Notice the 'keyword' corresponds with the closing scene in the trailer.
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby MinM » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:16 pm

more mAD men:
http://realserver.bu.edu:8080/ramgen/w/ ... tart=34:28
The Hidden Persuaders
In the age of of hit TV show "Mad Men" we look back at "The Hidden Persuaders" the best sellling 1951 expose by Vance Packard that explained how the mavens of Madison Avenue manipulated consumer needs, fears and desires to sell everything from toothpaste to politicians. Our guest Mark Greif, Editor of the magazine "N" Plus One, who wrote about Vance Packard and Mad Men in the New York Times and London Review of Books.
http://www.here-now.org/shows/2008/11/20081104.asp
Manipulation Inoculation
This raises the question of whether consumer education and advertising criticism ever help consumers, especially the young. “Media studies” efforts that try to inoculate grade-school kids against Ronald McDonald don’t get much respect. Yet, speaking for myself, the inoculation techniques did make an impact. From the age of 5, I recall more clearly than most things a PBS children’s show’s mock commercial on behalf of water. As if something free to everybody could be sold! (This was before the age of Poland Springs.) Those 90 seconds of TV blew my 5-year-old mind, alerting me that all the other advertisements interrupting my cartoons weren’t out to help me. I could never have put that into words, but then, as the admen know, ads often teach you things you can’t quite say.

Today, we have Naomi Klein’s “No Logo” and Adbusters magazine, but these seem like specially advanced therapies. Whatever its flaws, I’ll keep recommending “The Hidden Persuaders.” For me, it’s the original inoculation against manipulation, and every once in a while — perhaps especially in this political season — one needs to go back for a booster.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/books ... ted=2&_r=1
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby IanEye » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:52 am

Joe The Dumber
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

'Mad Men' strikes again...

Postby MinM » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:40 pm

A Season Premiere, a Falling Man and Memories of 9/11
The image of a falling man on a billboard for “Mad Men,” at Seventh Avenue and 30th Street.

In the visual vortex around Seventh Avenue and 34th Street, it takes a lot to stand out, but a rooftop billboard at 30th Street stands out. It shows a lone human figure seemingly tumbling from the windows above. And not everyone who sees it thinks, “Oh, that’s Don Draper, which means the season premiere of ‘Mad Men’ must be approaching.”

What also comes to mind are images of the bodies falling from the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001. The “Mad Men” campaign is not new. And the Copyranter blog, among others, has noted the Sept. 11 parallel. But there is a difference between seeing the advertisement on a telephone enclosure and finding it overhead, where it is hard to read “March 25,” the single line of text at the bottom.

“If I was walking around Manhattan and saw the billboard, I might be instantly reminded of those who leaped to their death in desperation on 9/11 — and yes, one of them could have been my sister,” said Anita LaFond Korsonsky, whose sister, Jeanette LaFond-Menichino, worked on the 94th floor of 1 World Trade Center, the north tower. “While in reality, I can’t expect everyone to forever have to gauge their public works against thoughts of 9/11, I think that in this case such a depiction could have been avoided.”

Lee Ielpi, the father of Firefighter Jonathan Ielpi, said he took no personal offense, but allowed that the ad instantly conjured Sept. 11. He said he worried about its effect on anyone who witnessed bodies falling from the towers. “They’re the ones who are going to suffer,” Mr. Ielpi said...

AMC, the network on which “Mad Men” appears, said in a statement: “The image of Don Draper tumbling through space has been used since the show began in 2007 to represent a man whose life is in turmoil. The image used in the campaign is intended to serve as a metaphor for what is happening in Don Draper’s fictional life and in no way references actual events.”

Thomas H. Rogér, whose daughter, Jean Rogér, was a flight attendant on American Airlines Flight 11, said the campaign fell short of both goals. “It definitely evokes the memory of 9/11,” he said, “and doesn’t seem to have any connection with the message it is promoting.” ..
Earth-704509
MinM

Re: Keyword Hijacking=HMW

Postby foistlastus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:19 pm

ever hear of mk (ultra) magazine in chicago ?
http://www.mk-magazine.com/
foistlastus

Re: Keyword Hijacking=HMW

Postby NeonLX » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm

I grew up on MAD magazine. Kind of a strange deal for a dumb farm kid (my great grandmother, born in 1891, gave me a subscription for my birthday every year starting when I was 9!).
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to General Discussion