NFL Conspiracy? Steelers-Chargers final play looks fishy

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

NFL Conspiracy? Steelers-Chargers final play looks fishy

Postby bks » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:54 pm

Noteworthy is how at pains the writers are to distance themselves from even the SUGGESTION that they might be entertaining a 'conspiracy theory'.

You have to hand it to the PTB: they've ruled an entirely reasonable class of speculation completely out of bounds for any public person. This even in the world of sports,where in the last couple of years alone there has been a major gambling scandal in the NBA, and a hushed-up scandal involving illegal team-on-team spying the NFL!

http://www.scoresreport.com/2008/11/16/ ... gers-game/

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/ ... -steelers/

video of final play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wdbWt9IZsE

One of these days I'll get back to posting those chapter summaries from Jack Bratich's 'Conspiracy Panics'. I've finished the book, which was very interesting.
bks

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MinM » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:15 pm

New Watergate book says John Dean ordered break-in
PS- speaking of Larry O'Brien wasnt he given the plum job as Commissioner of the NBA? Intertel was the suppossed security firm (keeping out organized crime :lol: ) with the National Football League and the NBA. And the Jacob's family Sportsystem (now Delaware North Company) has all the major concession contracts with most major league sports teams, be it MLB, NFL or NBA.

Professional sports is dominated by organized crime...

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index ... opic=12822
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby barracuda » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:19 pm

All professional sports (and many "amateur" ones) are fixed to one degree or another. The only people who can't seem to acknowledge this are the fans for whom the game itself provides drama and meaning to their lives, and the industry figures for whom the appearance of sanctity is the mainstay of their careers. What is amazing is that occasionally these games are decided on the basis of actual physical competition. Not often, but occasionally.

In related news: Billionaire Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team, was sued by U.S. regulators over claims he made illegal insider trades four years ago in shares of Internet search company Mamma.com Inc.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby MinM » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:46 pm

barracuda wrote:In related news: Billionaire Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team, was sued by U.S. regulators over claims he made illegal insider trades four years ago in shares of Internet search company Mamma.com Inc.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

My guess is that there are a couple things at play in this Cuban Case:
1) He's been a big pain in the neck to the aforementioned Larry O'Brien's successor, David Stern, with his constant complaints about officiating in the NBA. Which by the way Cuban's suspicions were confirmed by the Tim Donaghy Case.
2) Given his unwillingness to play ball in the NBA -- Major League Baseball wants to thwart his efforts to buy the Chicago Cubs.
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby MinM » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Mark Cuban has also stepped on the toes of the PTB through his film company:

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
and...

Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (2008)
to name a few.

Not to mention the bailoutsleuth.com, "Loose Change", and Dan Rather stuff:
http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?t=21511
Last edited by MinM on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:40 pm

Oops, just posted separately on Cuban and saw this.

My guess is he's spoken out against the bailout and started the bailoutsleuth.com site, and the SEC is firing a shot across the bow or just engaging in easy discrediting (he's got a dirty deal - probably a bunch - so no need to listen to him talk about the Fed and Treasury ponzi scheme fulfillment action).

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:43 pm

I think a revelation of NFL fixing from Vegas or the league itself via the officials, if it's really so, would have an impact on this society at least half as great as an official admission that 9/11 was an intelligence agency psyop.

JackRiddler

Postby barracuda » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:49 pm

JackRiddler wrote:I think a revelation of NFL fixing from Vegas or the league itself via the officials, if it's really so, would have an impact on this society at least half as great as an official admission that 9/11 was an intelligence agency psyop.

Geez, ain't you got that right.

barracuda

Postby 8bitagent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:04 pm

It came out that the LA Lakers/Kings conference final in 2002 was completely rigged, with the Lakers made to win with all the deliberate calls going to the Lakers. Many other NBA games were rigged and stolen.
We know about whats going on in football with rigged games/cheating.

Why? Despite the viewer slump of say, baseball, major sports is BIG BIG
organized crime and banking money gambling wise.

Often times, sports are just as scripted as say, pro wrestling. Some sports teams even have agent provocateurs, whereby members will bet against their own team and do things to take a dive.

Sports are there, like reality television and other mindless fluff to
of course insulate people from what's going on. To shut off their minds, and herd them into a polarizing mentality.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Often times, sports are just as scripted as say, pro wrestling. Some sports teams even have agent provocateurs, whereby members will bet against their own team and do things to take a dive.

I have to call bullshit on this. Wrestling is a fully scripted theatrical performance and universally understood as such (even by the dimmest of fans). The pro sports leagues are enormously competitive and pay unbelievable salaries to players who aren't in it to throw games, for whom even minor statistical advantage over others pays out in millions of dollars a year. In the present environment it would be impossible to fix on a large scale via the (literally thousands of) players or even the coaches. You think bad play can be rehearsed? And why do such a thing? In the NFL, officiating is often the central determinant of the results. There are calls on every play, 20 penalties a game, a rule book that's probably 400 pages, plus litigation (coach's challenge). The officials are anonymous and make relative shit. Large-scale fixing of the type that determines whole seasons (like, perhaps, the suspicious victories in the latter part of the Patriots 2007 undefeated run, setting up a fantastic Superbowl narrative) would be done through officials.

NFL Truth Movement, baby!

(Did I really fail to resist such a horrible and possibly self-discrediting joke? I'll know in a few seconds if I click "submit.")

JackRiddler

Postby 8bitagent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:21 pm

JackRiddler wrote:.

I have to call bullshit on this. Wrestling is a fully scripted theatrical performance and universally understood as such (even by the dimmest of fans). The pro sports leagues are enormously competitive and pay unbelievable salaries to players who aren't in it to throw games, for whom even minor statistical advantage over others pays out in millions of dollars a year. In the present environment it would be impossible to fix on a large scale via the (literally thousands of) players or even the coaches. You think bad play can be rehearsed? And why do such a thing? In the NFL, officiating is often the central determinant of the results. There are calls on every play, 20 penalties a game, a rule book that's probably 400 pages, plus litigation (coach's challenge). The officials are anonymous and make relative shit. Large-scale fixing of the type that determines whole seasons (like, perhaps, the suspicious victories in the latter part of the Patriots 2007 undefeated run, setting up a fantastic Superbowl narrative) would be done through officials.

NFL Truth Movement, baby!

(Did I really fail to resist such a horrible and possibly self-discrediting joke? I'll know in a few seconds if I click "submit.")

well now..

The Tim Donaghy scandal just got more serious.

The disgraced former NBA referee told authorities in a four-page letter released Tuesday that two officials conspired to fix the outcome of a 2002 playoff series and influenced several other post- and regular-season games.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8231176

If you had watched all of the 2002 conference final games, it was pretty clear something was pretty fishy.

Yes, unlike pro wrestling where both parties agree to the script, in this case unbeknownst to the team the fix was in.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

CFL Football

Postby norton ash » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:28 pm

The Alouettes and the Bombers. The 3-Down attack is the best one, Canada plays it better. CFL!
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Penguin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Damn with you americans.
First of all, thats not football.
Thats something, well, lets be fair and say eggball. You know, that thing you guys hug like a baby, that thing that is not even close to being round in any reasonable way. Its impossible to play football with that monstrosity, that crime against perfection.

And in football, you dont touch the ball with your hands, except when throwing the ball back in the game. Then theres handball, but that too has a round ball and sane, sportsmanslike rules that dont include armoring yourself and ramming others. Rugby, now thats manly. Americans have always been pussies. Its like the saying: "Watch out for the little and the weak and the insecure - its those guys who pack a knife to a fistfight" - or a nuke, as is often the case.

I dont even need to go into all the other inanities and barbarity of your "sport".

Real football is what rest of the world plays. And I really do mean rest of the world. You retards call it "soccer". Ha.

And in real football, the one the round world plays, its usually been the judges that fix the games. Or the goalkeeper :P

You dont even have real football riots...

(above is all pure satire, perfectly serious. I hate competitive sports of all kinds, and American eggball is probably the most hideous game on the planet. I play football for fun with friends only)
Penguin

Wwtf

Postby barracuda » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:34 pm

norton ash wrote:The Alouettes and the Bombers. The 3-Down attack is the best one, Canada plays it better. CFL!

That's hilarious.

Jack, the OP story is about shaving enough points off the spread to satisfy the Vegas bookies. The bad calls and the overuled final touchdown did not influence the winner or loser of the game at all, just made the majority of bettors lose their money, incidentally setting up the final score of 11-10, a score which has never been recorded before in over 12,000 NFL games. This was accomplished by the easiest method available to the usual suspect - they bought the refs, who penalized the Steelers 14 times vs. 2 for the Chargers in order to keep it close. The spread is the whole issue in most of the fixes, not the winners and losers (although as 8bit points out, these things do happen) but in this case it was so obvious and sloppily done that it threatens the integrity of the illusion of who is actually running professional football. As a result, millions of dollars flowed from the fans to the bookies in a, uh, whaddayacallit, a massive transfer of wealth! - yeah that's it. At least, that's the tinfoil viewpoint. I kinda assume you knew all this already though, 'cause you are Jack f-ing Riddler! But I wanted to point out that there really are some gnarly similarities between the wrestling world and the NFL.

BTW, did you happen to see Brock Lesnar kick the shit out of Randy Couture (not that couture)? Now that's competition!

Penguin wrote:First of all, thats not football.

Hey, Penguin - you're from, what? Finland, right?

We create our own reality. We'll call it whatever we want.
barracuda

Postby bks » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 am

AP story via Yahoo News focused on the betting line angle:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns
bks

Next

Return to General Discussion