Bird Flu in Turkey - Gloom/Doom

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bird Flu in Turkey - Gloom/Doom

Postby Col Quisp » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:28 am

How ironic, as I said several months ago, that Turkey (a fowl) is where the mutation hops to humans. There are 15 suspected cases there now, with one death. Not yet confirmed as H5N1, but highly likely. The dead boy's siblings are critically ill as well. Familial clusters such as this signal efficient human-to-human transmission. See recombinomics.com for more info.<br><br>A co-worker told me today her mother-in-law just returned from China and has a "respiratory ailment." hmmm. I think I won't be going to lunch with her in the near future!<br><br>It's time to buy supplies and hunker down, what with this, the pending Iran conflict, Sharon's "assassination," and everything else coming to a head this year. The days are getting shorter, my friends.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bird Flu in Turkey - Gloom/Doom

Postby Sepka » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:14 am

It's confirmed as H5N1 now. However, according to the BBC, the family lived on a poultry farm, kept birds in their home and ate infected birds, so the opportunity was there for each member to become infected by contact with birds, rather than through their other family members.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4582654.stm">news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4582654.stm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Re: Bird Flu in Turkey - Gloom/Doom

Postby Col Quisp » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:40 pm

"It is possible that they all had common exposure to sick poultry but it is also possible there may have been human to human transmission. We don't have enough information to draw a hypothesis either way," WHO spokeswoman Maria Cheng said.<br><br>Source:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=globalNews&storyID=2006-01-06T155356Z_01_MOL141032_RTRUKOC_0_US-BIRDFLU-TURKEY.xml">today.reuters.co.uk/news/...TURKEY.xml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>3 dead now. <br> <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Return to Health