Chinese grad student decapitated by knife at Virginia Tech

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby ninakat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:23 am

This is way bizarre. Deja vu too.

RAW STORY
Published: Thursday January 22, 2009

A female Chinese graduate student has been decapitated by a fellow student at Virginia Tech, the scene of the worst school shooting in US history in 2007, police said Thursday.

At approximately 7:00 pm Wednesday (0000 GMT Thursday), Xin Yang, a 22-year-old graduate student from Beijing, was killed at an Au Bon Pain cafe on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia, university officials said.

They added that emergency contact records suggest that Yang and the student who murdered her, Haiyang Zhu from Ningbo, China, knew each other. According to officials, witnesses said Zhu, 25, attacked Yang with a knife.

"There were seven witnesses in the cafe. There had been no argument, no shouting" when the young woman was attacked, said Virginia Tech spokesman Mark Owczarski, confirming that Yang and been decapitated.

"This is horrible and tragic. Especially when we know that Virginia Tech has got its share of hardship and horror."

In April 2007, Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old Virginia Tech student born in South Korea, shot 32 fellow classmates and teachers to death before killing himself.

"The tragic attack on campus this week has no doubt revived terrible memories for countless members of the Hokie family," Virginia Governor Tim Kaine said in a statement offering his condolences.

Zhu was charged with first-degree murder and was being held at a county jail. He had not had a record with university or local police, the school indicated.

Yang had arrived at Virginia Tech in early January to begin studies in accounting. Zhu was a PhD graduate student in agriculture and applied economics.

The following video was published by the Associated Press, Jan. 22, 2009.
ninakat

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:28 am

WTF?

The mind reels ...

What kind of fucked up experimentation on people's minds is going on at that place?

That's what goes through my head.
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby ninakat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 am

Nordic wrote:WTF?

The mind reels ...

What kind of fucked up experimentation on people's minds is going on at that place?

That's what goes through my head.

Yeah. Is this being coordinated somehow, or just the result of subliminal bad vibes, like an earthquake aftershock, shaking out from the last big killing spree? More likely, the latter. But I never discount anything anymore, being one of those weirdo RI conspiracy theorists. Still, my better side says it's just the result of a huge cloud of bad karma smothering the minds of everyone associated with Virginia Tech.
ninakat

Postby esotericmetal » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:51 am

How the FUCK does someone decapitate another person with a knife in an au bon pain without anyone doing anything about it? it just doesn't seem physically possible to me. Reminds me of that other asian guy that decapitated a person on a greyhound bus in Canada a few months back that was linked to the 'wendigo syndrome'.
esotericmetal

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:23 am

esotericmetal wrote:How the FUCK does someone decapitate another person with a knife in an au bon pain without anyone doing anything about it?

Every time I've taken a stand in public, violent situations, I've been alone.

And every time I let myself be a spectator, I had no shortage of company.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby OP ED » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:20 am

Wombaticus Rex wrote:
esotericmetal wrote:How the FUCK does someone decapitate another person with a knife in an au bon pain without anyone doing anything about it?

Every time I've taken a stand in public, violent situations, I've been alone.

And every time I let myself be a spectator, I had no shortage of company.

indeed. in fact, i think it is more often that bystanders have tried to prevent me from intervening than have aided me in doing so.

most humans go into herd shock at the sight of real violence, no matter how much they think they wouldn't. you have to remember that most of us require some sort of conditioning to overcome this natural impulse to avoid danger.
OP ED

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:43 am

Some of us need conditioning to be sensible. :D 8)

With some knives it wouldn't take too long to decapitate someone. Some are basically small swords.

There are legends of Gurka's doing it with one and two strikes using a Kukri.

Also, following on from most humans go into herd shock at the sight of real violence. How many people here would take out someone who had a big knife and knew how to use it, (or didn't - how would you know?).

I know I wouldn't be confident to do it. Some dickhead maybe, but not someone who looked like they knew what they were doing, especially with a kukri. Not that I'm saying this guy had one. Tho belting him repeatedly with a chair might do the trick if he had his back to me.

If there's a pepper shaker you can open, throwing pepper into his face could buy you the time you need, oldie but a goodie.

But really you have to be able to make decisions like that instantaneously and act on them immediately, if not sooner, if you are gonna intervene in a situation.

Most people go into herd shock cos they don't know what to do. It doesn't just happen with violence either. It can happen with any dangerous unfamiliar situation if you aren't used to dealing with them.

There are situations where people don't get involved through choice tho. Thats a sad fucked up thing.

There are times I haven't got involved, times I have, its a weird thing, sometimes I didn't care, and for some reason felt interveneing was wrong too. Some people deserve a good hiding

Not if someone started cutting someone else's head off in front of me.

Fuck that shit. Dunno what I'd do but I'd hope it wouldn't be stand there dumbfounded.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:59 am

THURSDAY, JANUARY 22, 2009

Decapitation, Death and the Damned

On this, the first anniversary of the death of Heath Ledger, news of a decapitation, Mason County deaths, and the movie industry's recognition of The Joker are hitting the media.

Investigate further:

http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2009/ ... amned.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby psynapz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 pm

again with the clustering?

This is starting to turn into a meta-pattern, is it not?

Revised note to self: don't send kids to Yale OR Virginia Tech.
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby Nordic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:13 pm

esotericmetal wrote:Reminds me of that other asian guy that decapitated a person on a greyhound bus in Canada a few months back that was linked to the 'wendigo syndrome'.

That's the first thing I thought of, too.

It's like a bad movie.
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby anothershamus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:25 pm

esotericmetal wrote:How the FUCK does someone decapitate another person with a knife in an au bon pain without anyone doing anything about it? it just doesn't seem physically possible to me. Reminds me of that other asian guy that decapitated a person on a greyhound bus in Canada a few months back that was linked to the 'wendigo syndrome'.

esotericmetal wrote:
Reminds me of that other asian guy that decapitated a person on a greyhound bus in Canada a few months back that was linked to the 'wendigo syndrome'.

And then the aftershock note.... Maybe a FORE SHOCK to a larger event.
We seem to be headed into the financial abyss and Obama hasn't had his BIG EVENT foretold by Colin Powell.......Jan 21, or 22nd.....or 23rd?
)'(
anothershamus

Postby Avalon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:47 pm

It was a large kitchen knife. They were sitting having coffee.

Like most fast food places, Au Bon Pan usually has little paper packets of pepper, so that's only good in situations with a longer lead time. Though a good tactic to remember.

Where does the term "herd shock" come from? Seems very useful and appropriate, but googling it I'm getting almost nothing.

"Chance favors the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur

Be prepared.
Avalon

being prepared

Postby treeboy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Avalon wrote:"Chance favors the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur

Be prepared.

What are you proposing we prepare for and how do you suggesting preparing for it? Carry our own pepper shaker?
treeboy

Postby MinM » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Earth-704509
MinM

Postby OP ED » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Joe Hillshoist wrote:Some of us need conditioning to be sensible. :D 8)

With some knives it wouldn't take too long to decapitate someone. Some are basically small swords.

There are legends of Gurka's doing it with one and two strikes using a Kukri.

Also, following on from most humans go into herd shock at the sight of real violence. How many people here would take out someone who had a big knife and knew how to use it, (or didn't - how would you know?).

I know I wouldn't be confident to do it. Some dickhead maybe, but not someone who looked like they knew what they were doing, especially with a kukri. Not that I'm saying this guy had one. Tho belting him repeatedly with a chair might do the trick if he had his back to me.

If there's a pepper shaker you can open, throwing pepper into his face could buy you the time you need, oldie but a goodie.

But really you have to be able to make decisions like that instantaneously and act on them immediately, if not sooner, if you are gonna intervene in a situation.

Most people go into herd shock cos they don't know what to do. It doesn't just happen with violence either. It can happen with any dangerous unfamiliar situation if you aren't used to dealing with them.

There are situations where people don't get involved through choice tho. Thats a sad fucked up thing.

There are times I haven't got involved, times I have, its a weird thing, sometimes I didn't care, and for some reason felt interveneing was wrong too. Some people deserve a good hiding

Not if someone started cutting someone else's head off in front of me.

Fuck that shit. Dunno what I'd do but I'd hope it wouldn't be stand there dumbfounded.

i live in detroit. i'd have just shot the motherfucker.

problem solved. no danger to me.
OP ED

Next

Return to General Discussion