10 Random Facts

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Freemason9 definitely told me more than I wanted to know. I think it was mainly the hot tub thing.
Hammer of Los

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 pm

§ê¢rꆧ

Postby crikkett » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:15 pm

. I was a tomboy and a very awkward teenager.

. I actually went through my 20s with no idea of how hot I was. I can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

. I had a foolproof strategy for landing guys: ask them to teach me something.

. I used to brag that I was so noncommittal that I couldn't even take up smoking.

. I used to be able to count down the seconds from three minutes perfectly.

. I have not owned an alarm clock for eleven years.

. How my husband landed me: he convinced me I was pretty. Bonus: he cooks. Extra Creepy Bonus: my cousin told me that I described him to her perfectly when I was 12, at a pyjama party. I had forgotten all about it. (No wonder I was noncommittal?)

. What I gave up when I turned 30: running and standing upright in 3" heels.

. I rarely finish my writing projects because it takes me too long to get it out. That frustrates the hell out of me.
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby nathan28 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:57 pm

i am way boring compared to most of you

BOLDED to prevent scanning!

1. i have been involved in threesomes, foursomes and moresomes. They're over-rated (don't get me wrong here, but all you out there who think girl-on-girl-on-guy is the "ultimate guy fantasy", you're in for disappointment) but they do break up a lot of social tension. But that said I tend to think that sort of thing can't co-exist with healthy intimate relationships (it can certainly co-exist with unhealthy ones).

2. I spent about two or three years performing ritual and chaos magick heavily. I would wake up, perform a ritual, get home, perform rituals. I took a lot of hallucinogenic plants and drugs during this time. It was not that long ago, but reviewing some of the old notes i made in my email file, and some old writings and journals, i had no idea what the fuck was going on. Strangely enough I was able to hold down a job and even do well at it. I remember on one occasion waking up at three or four a.m. to see flaming spirits dancing on the ceiling noisily and thinking, "jesus, i have to go to work in three hours." Additionally I've been witness to numerous "impossible" phenomena and the thing is, it's always less exciting than you'd expect.

at the time i got involved in it, i genuinely believed that "something" was going to happen very soon that was going to change the world forever and in a way that would make magick a necessity for daily existence. now i see that viewpoint as so depraved that i wouldn't know where to start criticizing it.

I have few conclusions from this time, save that: i was very, very close to mental illness but socially and occupationally functional; insanity is more about a continuum than a binary on/off state; beliefs themselves can be grounds for insanity; insanity is as much about social norms and the social construction of identity as it is about brain chemistry; magick, like HCE said, cannot ever really be controlled; magick, also like HCE said, seems to be almost by dangerous by design...

My practice is much, much more restricted now. I've also experienced Kundalini phenomena aand can generate them in a limited fashion at will. The spontaneous manifestations are a side-effect of my meditation practice and reflect a particular stage of unfolding; the willed phenomena are physically dangerous without training.

3. In one municipality, my name is red-flagged with the police. I've received noise complaints at five different addresses there, been picked up for DIP (read as, "walking home in a county with no sidewalks") twice (but once the cop just drove me home). In Manhattan I was once tailed by a detective I couldn't shake for six blocks. A cop car pulled up to block me from the subway. The concern? I had been drinking a bottle of V8. He made me pour it out. I had a friend tell me I was a cop (and trouble) magnet since I was so good-looking. That is a shit explanation.

My hair is receding and I am no longer single or a cop magnet.

4. #1 & 2 aren't that distant in years but I am alienated from them. It's a strange feeling, to feel divorced from your past.

5. The graduation rate at my high school was less than 60%. The school building was at 170% capacity. Getting into a fight (read as "protecting yourself") at school meant getting suspended for two weeks, which meant getting zeros on all assignments for two weeks. So my fighting strategy consisted of grabbing, throwing and then running before the guards showed up. Likewise I was on a deferred verdict for a felony (for an act of vandalism) for over a year in high school. As a side-effect to avoid a sentence I didn't even drive over the speed-limit for two years afterwards, which sucks when you borrow a V-6 from your folks but that's the way the cookie crumbles. My folks had to get a lawyer to keep me from being re-assigned to the "alternative disciplinary high school." I managed to earn 30+ credit hours towards my undergrad degree during this time, and am the first person in my immediate family to have earned a college diploma.

6. I served appetizers to Henry Kissinger at a wedding. I was only about 17 and didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground so I didn't have the good sense to spill carmalized onion crepes on him.

7. I generally am not fond of nostalgia or recollections of this sort, as truth be told I am either bored by, embarassed by or alienated from (see #1) my past, and furthermore, don't trust my own memory to be honest--I could tell you my earliest "memory" is me stirring a pot of something wearing a transformers t-shirt next to my younger brother in the kitchen, but I no longer believe this is a memory so much as a reconstruction and hence, a little bauble the ego contents itself with and nothing more than a lie.

8. I saw (with my eyes) both the B-2 and the F-117A stealth aircraft while they were still secret. Or at least the F-117A. The B-2 sighting should be phrased as "I saw a black flying triangle with conventional-looking underside lighting that I remember looking like what the B-2 looked like before the B-2 was known about by the general public". I've also seen little greys open-eyed, but knew enough to realize that this went in the category of "vision--still have to go to work tomorrow." (Sorry, i am repeating myself)

9. I have a chip on my shoulder: I come from a depressed area of the country with few opportunities (see #5) and now work in a very wealthy environment. When i was young I had a lot of despair about this, because I had an intelletual inclination but saw no opportunities available for me in that capacity. I now earnestly believe that car culture is a huge factor behind this. Additionally, I got picked on a lot when I was a younger kid and (didn't think anything was wrong, because my dad was kinda mean (his dad was an alcoholic)). So when I was about 14 I started to do pretty serious tae kwon do sparring and weightlifting (and I did jiu-jitsu for two years as a grown-up) and every time I see a skinny white dude with an upper-middle-class attitutde of confidence I think "Did you not get your ass kicked when you were in school? Oh, wait, you didn't." When I was in high school I ran into trouble with the law, which was fine, but it was the school adminstration's reaction (trying to expel me for a crime i hadn't yet been found guilty of) that pissed me off to no end. So in my experience most people doing administration are working on protecting a system of bullying. So I have trouble understanding the "herd trance" or people taking comfort in it. And that includes most TV or most Establishment economics.

10. I had a lot of "spiritual" experiences from at least the time I was eleven. I'd wake up very early, but didn't have anything to do, so i'd lie in bed, usually motionless. all sorts of strange physical sensations and strange mind-states would show up. Part of what led me to drugs was an attempt to re-create some of these states in hopes of understanding them. Even considering my intensive study of the occult, it still took me formally practicing in the Theraveda mediation tradition to understand what was happening.
nathan28

Postby nathan28 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Is it just some of us, or is there an above-average level of law-breakers here?
nathan28

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:23 pm

Most people are law breakers on some level. there are so many laws ...

But I do get your point.

About this:

I now earnestly believe that car culture is a huge factor behind this.

Care to elaborate, its an interesting concept.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Alaya » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:52 pm

1. I remember the first time I knew my parents lied to me.

2. I love Rumi, Neruda and Basho.

3. My husband is a real cowboy and rode his horse to school when he was a kid.

4. I had a great day when we chased wild heifers out of the canyons.

5. I like to knit and spin my own yarn.

6. I've had 24/7 chronic pain for 12 yrs.

7. My ex husband won the 2009 Pritzger Award for architecture.

8. I love opera but sometimes I have to rock with Patti Smith.

9. I tend to agree with Hugh about how the ptb get things done.

10. Mostly I am very sad about how we ruined our world and have a very poor opinion of humans in general.

I love this forum. I think you guys are wonderful. Jeff did something great here.

So, hi, everybody and thank you for being here. :lovehearts:
Alaya

Postby compared2what? » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:17 am

What a lovely, lovely list, Alaya.

My love of opera is somewhat limited by my only ever having had any significant exposure to opera more than thirty years ago. Still, I do love what I love.

Here, since it strikes me as almost guaranteed to be an uncontroversial choice, no matter what kind of opera you most truly love, is my idea of how all operas would end in an ideal world. I'm not crazy about the realism wrt to cause of death in costuming terms, I've gotta say, as I'm kinda old-school in that way. But it's very beautiful nevertheless. As is the whole of Act 3, imo. Because I just love, love, love it. Especially that little ominous storm-and-wind-like motif at or near the beginning. I forget, exactly which. But you know the one I mean.
compared2what?

Postby Maddy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:20 am

1. I am extremely shy and insecure. I am terrified of people and tend to be a misanthropic.

2. Google is my best friend. It keeps me from looking like an idiot. I do that well enough on my own. :P

3. I honestly love to read Shakespeare.

4. I still play video games, at my age, and plan to still when I'm someday in a convalescent home. (Gotta love lappies!)

5. I don't have a political affiliation. I only beleive in what is "right" (in my heart) and doesn't hurt others. I suppose this makes me very simple-minded.

6. I am constantly horrified about how people treat each other - including, sometimes, myself - even after all of my experiences.

7. I like nothing more than a cigarette with a grande triple mocha espresso first thing in the morning. Unfortunately I can have neither any longer.

8. My biggest fault is that I am too prideful.

9. I cry, alot, over lots of things.

10. I still have hope.
Be kind - it costs nothing. ~ Maddy ~
Maddy

Postby Alaya » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:36 pm

compared2what? wrote:What a lovely, lovely list, Alaya.

My love of opera is somewhat limited by my only ever having had any significant exposure to opera more than thirty years ago. Still, I do love what I love.

Here, since it strikes me as almost guaranteed to be an uncontroversial choice, no matter what kind of opera you most truly love, is my idea of how all operas would end in an ideal world. I'm not crazy about the realism wrt to cause of death in costuming terms, I've gotta say, as I'm kinda old-school in that way. But it's very beautiful nevertheless. As is the whole of Act 3, imo. Because I just love, love, love it. Especially that little ominous storm-and-wind-like motif at or near the beginning. I forget, exactly which. But you know the one I mean.

Bravo! Thank you for that.

Honestly, I am not a typical opera buff as I find the plots, scenery and wardrobes so incredibly heavy. I was going to say that the tragedy of it all was....something negative as well but then why do I love it?

I love it in the dark with my ipod and mostly I love the Italians. I love it alone as it is an intimacy I don't like to share. Maybe I am afraid of someone seeing that passion reflected in me and there is always the danger of a sudden and uncontrollable outburst of tears.
Alaya

Postby Alaya » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Maddy wrote:1. I am extremely shy and insecure. I am terrified of people and tend to be a misanthropic.

2. Google is my best friend. It keeps me from looking like an idiot. I do that well enough on my own. :P

3. I honestly love to read Shakespeare.

4. I still play video games, at my age, and plan to still when I'm someday in a convalescent home. (Gotta love lappies!)

5. I don't have a political affiliation. I only beleive in what is "right" (in my heart) and doesn't hurt others. I suppose this makes me very simple-minded.

6. I am constantly horrified about how people treat each other - including, sometimes, myself - even after all of my experiences.

7. I like nothing more than a cigarette with a grande triple mocha espresso first thing in the morning. Unfortunately I can have neither any longer.

8. My biggest fault is that I am too prideful.

9. I cry, alot, over lots of things.

10. I still have hope.

I share many of these with you, Maddy and will probably at some point be bribing some candy striper type to fetch me the lastest edition of Oblivion
Alaya

Postby Peregrine » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:04 am

heh, what a cool 'get to know ya' thread. Some of you folks got me a little misty-eyed. Here goes:

1 – I used to be a very conservative Christian girl, believed sex before marriage was a sin & got married at 22. I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was all about when it came to the whole issue around sex. I later discovered how incompatible my ex husband & I were sexually, as we rarely had sex & it wasn't enjoyable. At least not on my part. Ended up having an affair 5 years later & thought, “so this is how it's supposed to be!”

2 – I've had 2 serious relationships in my life, one with my ex husband mentioned above & the other with my daughter's pop. Both were polar opposites. My ex husband, although easy to get along with & had no bad temper whatsoever, was incredibly neglectful & treated me like a casual roommate. My daughter's pop, although wonderful in bed (he was not the one I had an affair with), was incredibly possessive, volatile & short fused. I ended up leaving him when I was 6 months preggers when he smashed in the windshield of my car & ripped off the windshield wipers, all while I was sitting in the car. I have, however, stayed on friendly terms with both, as I prefer an amicable parting, or at least settling our differences at a later time.

3 – I was certain I would never have children, I had no maternal instinct. When I was about 27, the instinct started to germinate. When I found out I was preggers at 29, I was absolutely thrilled. Having a little human growing inside is one of the most amazing feelings. I was determined to bond with her right from the beginning. All while in my belly, I spoke to her, played music & had a nightly routine of massaging my belly with almond oil, partly because I didn't want stretch marks & partly for the bonding aspect. It seemed to soothe her. When she finally was born, I felt like having her was the best decision I ever made. Even though challenging, parenthood for me is one of the most rewarding roles.

4 – I've been lurking on this forum since at least early 2006, got brave enough to sign up a year later, posted every so often & finally got brave enough to start posting regularly. I really like this forum, it's really like no other I've been on. I like the eclectic mix of people & how they all interact with each other. I've changed quite dramatically from the period of time from when I first started posting on here until recently, but all in a good way. My line of work now allows me to poke around on here more often. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

5 – I've never really had an interest in exploring a bunch of drugs. The first narcotic I ever tried was, of course, pot & it was when I was 26. I tried MDMA when I turned 30 & discovered I quite liked that as well, but only very occasionally. I've been curious about such things as mescaline, peyote & ayahuasca, the latter one more so.

6 – I used to work in construction full time & could put many of the guys to shame when it came to how hard I worked. I loved it, kept me in shape & I was unusually strong for a gal. I had entered into this field of work around the time I'd left my ex husband. Needless to say, I felt like a kid in a candy store, being surrounded by sweaty, dirty construction workers. I was no longer a 'good conservative Christian girl'. I now dabble part time as an independent Pro Dom & Courtesan. I must say, it is by far one of my most favorite jobs. The hours are great & the pay is excellent.

7 - I was a chubby, nerdy kid in elementary school & got picked on regularly. Going into high school, I blossomed, but I still carried my social awkwardness into high school & it was still hard making friends. Sort of the 'ugly duckling' syndrome, I guess you could say. I dropped out when I was 15 & later completed my education at a local community college. I never did fit in with my peers at school.

8 - I used to have long thick hair down to my waist. When I was young, I used to “hide” behind it, it was sort of a security blanket, the idea of not having it terrified me. I ended up cutting it all off when I was 19, in favor of a 'Trinity from The Matrix' look. I really came out of my shell then.

9 - I think a lot of my social awkwardness stemmed from abuse issues, both sexual & emotional. I lived in an abusive home until I was 15. After I left, I think I suffered PTSD, as I was horrendously depressed for a long while, & at one point I wouldn't come out of my room for almost 3 weeks except to use the washroom. I also found I was so exhausted, I would sleep for up to 18 hours a day.

10 – I've discovered the last couple of years, that what they say about entering into your thirties (as a woman) is true; I'm a lot more confident sexually, I've explored quite a bit (& I still am) & overall, it's been a very positive & grounding experience. I'm a lot more comfortable with my body now, even though I've had a child & I have a little more belly & cellulite, than I was in my early 20's. I've always known that I was just as taken with the feminine form as I am with the masculine, so I've explored my bi tendencies as of late. Some of my most memorable intimate moments have been with some lovely women.

... hmmm, thought I'd have trouble coming up with 10 interesting tid bits about me, now I'm on a roll... :jumping:
Peregrine

Postby Nordic » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:44 am

What a fascinating thread. I've only recently started coming to The Lounge and I'm glad I did. RI is my favorite place on the net, and has the smartest people I've ever encountered in one place. I'm not even sure I can do this .... but I sorta want to try. I'm very reserved about sharing too much personal information on the internet, but then again, why not? Who better to confess to than a bunch of strangers?

1. I was born in Germany to American parents. My father was working in military intelligence at the time and I only found out about this a year ago, at age 46.

2. I skipped the third grade.

3. My great grandfather on one side of the family was killed in a street fight, and my great grandfather on the other side watched his father blow his mother's head off with a shotgun. When the cops took him away, he was ranting, in Swiss German, about what a pig she was and how he was glad he finally had done that.

4. I am a descendent of Davy Crockett.

5. I directed a movie at age 27. I haven't repeated the feat since. Right now I have a wife, two kids, and am broke and am going to have to declare bankruptcy.

6. At 12 or so, I had an overwhelming religious experience. I don't know how else to describe it. I had gotten completely caught up in what was called being a "Jesus Freak" and was on a religious retreat in the mountains with my group. Something happened and I had what I can only describe as religious ecstasy. I walked back into the dark forest, dropped to my knees and sobbed in pure joy, feeling the power of .... something ... God? ...... surge through my body and mind. It was magnificent. Coming down from it was quite depressing and I felt abandoned and alone.

7. I have lived in two seriously haunted houses. One with a ghost. And most recently one with heavy poltergeist activity. In the first, an old Victorian house in Denver, when I experienced it I realized that I didn't believe in ghosts. I had the mind-bending, time-stopping sensation of experiencing something that I didn't believe in. This experience changed me a great deal -- in spite of my former religious experiences, I had become quite the agnostic through college, but after that realized there was far more to the world, and life, than what Western science tell us. I had always suspected this, and in fact my religious experience attested to this, but studying a great deal of science in college led me astray. In both houses, I found that a haunting affects your mind as much as anything. I am convinced that ghosts exist as much in the mind-plane as much as the physical plane, and they can actually make you feel like you're going crazy, and in fact can make you somewhat crazy. In the first house I felt possessed, and once spent probably an entire month where I was unable to sleep at all. This nearly drove me insane.

8. I was once shooting out of a helicopter (with a motion picture camera) when we ran into a telephone line going about 100 knots. It's the one time in my life when I was convinced I was about to die. It was sheer luck that I didn't. Describing the event to more than one pilot afterward, they would get this look on their face and say to me "you're the walking dead".

9. When I was five or so, I was sitting on the front porch of my house and saw a U.F.O. My reaction was quite matter-of-fact. Later in life, driving through a very dark and empty stretch of road with my parents, there was some very odd experience that completely freaked out both my parents. I had been asleep, but I woke up on the floor of the car, hearing my parents, with fear in their voices, telling themselves that what they had just seen was an owl. "It was just an owl. Just an owl!". For the rest of her life my mother had a fascination with owls, collecting dozens of little owl figurines and art works.

10. My best friend from college died when I was 27, in a car wreck in which his girlfriend was also killed. I believe it was quite likely a suicide. I have dreamed about him ever since, for over 20 years now. In the dreams, he's always dead, but alive, and I'm visiting him in this other place, where he now exists. Oddly it's not that different from this world.

Wow, ten already? I could just keep going ....
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:48 am

Nordic wrote:8. I was once shooting out of a helicopter (with a motion picture camera) when we ran into a telephone line going about 100 knots. It's the one time in my life when I was convinced I was about to die. It was sheer luck that I didn't. Describing the event to more than one pilot afterward, they would get this look on their face and say to me "you're the walking dead".

You didn't happen to be filming a rubber band ball that was dropped from a B-52 over the Mojave?
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby sunny » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks Nordic, and feel free to add more. Everyone should if they want.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News