Kubrick

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:24 am

barracuda wrote:
Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:HAL is also an acronym for the parts of the brain that fear psyops exploits per former chief psychiatrist for the California Youth Authority (1980-1985), Dr. Ernest Pecci-
Hypothalamus/Thalamus
Amygdala
Limbic system

This is precisely what MKUltra and psyops science would be exploiting for the Cold War.

What a coincidence, ay? No.

Anyone who has the slightest interest in 2001 knows that Kubrick took the acronym for International Business Machines and moved the letters one step to the left.

Yah, I know that old chestnut.
For what it's worth, Kubrick denied that explanation of "HAL."

And now I see why, the 'HAL' acronym for strategy-of-tension fear-based psyops by elite spook culture.

Remember what HAL sings while he's being unplugged by the astronaut he almost killed? "Daisy, daisy..."

The 'Daisy' commercial for the 1964 LBJ re-election campaign is iconic as nuclear fear-mongering, a little girl plucking off the petals of a daisy that morphs into a nuclear missile count-down that becomes the bright flash...meant to badjacket Barry Goldwater as too dangerous for the White House.

No, Kubrick was helping out the spooks and making an allegory about spook culture at the same time, something a proud artist would do even when tapped to make psyops.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby barracuda » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:00 pm

You're right, of course. But the acronym still doesn't compare favorable with your own twisted reasoning regarding its genesis, which I sort of assume was parodic in nature. Arthur C. Clark:
    "As is clearly stated in the novel (Chapter 16), HAL stands for Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer. However, about once a week some character spots the fact that HAL is one letter ahead of IBM, and promptly assumes that Stanley and I were taking a crack at the estimable institution ... As it happened, IBM had given us a good deal of help, so we were quite embarrassed by this, and would have changed the name had we spotted the coincidence."
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Sweejak » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:14 pm

In the film, The Making of Strangelove, Kubrick was very, very concerned about the upcoming film 6 Days in May which features a powerful cast. He sues, claiming infringement on his story. The suit is bogus but it fouls up the works long enough to ensure a clean release of Strangelove.

If I recall correctly Kubrick was very sensitive about having his ideas co-opted and quit work on his Napoleon film when another Napoleon film, Waterloo, with Rod Steiger was released, bombed, and MGM pulled out. He'd spent a huge amount of work laying the ground for this film and Jon Ronson says he had an entire room devoted to Napoleon research.

A few other nuggets.

The final reel, including the Slim Pickens bombing run disappears from the studio never to be found and so they have to re-cut from scratch.

Actor James Earl Jones who plays Zoggy on the B-52 complains that his lines questioning the captain on whether this is maybe just a drill or a security test is cut and that there was "quite an exchange" among the crew about that. Jones says it was the only part of his role that was distinctive.

A small part of the film has to be re-dubbed. Pickens opens his survival kit and exclaims : "a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all this stuff" to " a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all this stuff." This is due the the shooting of Kennedy which happened just before the film was released. They cancelled the preview because of the assassination and waited till late Jan 1964.

In some areas the publicity dept. distributes a pocket fallout calculators like the one Strangelove uses in the film as give-aways.

The NYT's Bosley Crowther? severely panned the film, in a review titled "Strangelove, a Shattering Sick Joke" but the the writer revised his review a few months later, apparently still not 'getting it'. Crowther's complaints were the disrespect shown to US military.
http://tinyurl.com/5s3kra
Sweejak

Postby Sweejak » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Sweejak

Postby IanEye » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Sweejak wrote:Oh Mandy

Barry Manilow is lucky to be alive!
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Sweejak » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:05 pm

HAhaah. Thank god it wasn't used in the film. I'm told the video is shot in London's Freemason something or other.
Sweejak

Re: Kubrick

Postby Sweejak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:45 am

Podcast Gazing Behind The Veil With Jay Weidner - Mar 29,2010
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/freeassociationradio.rss
Sweejak

Re:

Postby psynapz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 am

Sweejak wrote:HAhaah. Thank god it wasn't used in the film. I'm told the video is shot in London's Freemason something or other.

You think?

That was definitely a grand whatever temple. Boy, they sure don't make them like they used to. The nearest one to me now is a corrugated steel structure reminiscent of a plumbing supply company or something. Judging by the mere Buicks which park there, I'd guess it amounts to a private pool hall that smells like a nursing home. Every time I drive by it I'm reminded of a sloughed-off layer of snake skin, the serpent already miles away.

But the one in London, in that video, was striking, particularly the massive theater/re. I must admit by the time they match-cut those taut young boys to the roof of, presumably, the temple, with the London Eye behind them and beat-synced bombs bursting in air, I felt the sudden urge to go down to that steel warehouse and sign-me-up for some Masonin' right away.

I wanna sing Barry Manilow songs in templar costumes and stare around morosely for extra gravitas tooooooo! And play cards, and collect children's photos and fingerprints, and nod meaningfully at everybody else there, and accept cushy insider job opportunities in regional government, and fall all over myself to give super-double-secret handshakes I learned on YouTube to oligarchs and former presidents.
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby psynapz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Also, just cross-linking semper's thread:

Republicans patronising "Eyes Wide Shut" S&M club
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Re: Re:

Postby Sweejak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:52 pm

I wanna sing Barry Manilow songs in templar costumes and stare around morosely for extra gravitas tooooooo! And play cards, and collect children's photos and fingerprints, and nod meaningfully at everybody else there, and accept cushy insider job opportunities in regional government, and fall all over myself to give super-double-secret handshakes I learned on YouTube to oligarchs and former presidents.

Wow, you are on a roll. This is a movie, you should maybe do screenplays or comic books. Do you?

Weidner's interview was less about Kubrick than I thought. Still, nice show.
Sweejak

Postby Laodicean » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 pm

This may have been posted, but this site here:

http://www.collativelearning.com/FILMS%20reviews%20BY%20ROB%20AGER.html

has some interesting video/analysis of some of Kubrick's films.

Eyes Wide Shut, for example.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Col. Quisp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:20 pm

In The Shining, when Danny boy is in the games room "bombing the universe" but really just throwing darts, there's a poster that says "Monarch."
Col. Quisp

Postby One Dog Watching » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:56 pm

The monarch poster has been on my mind, too.

There IS a Monarch ski resort in Colorado: http://www.skimonarch.com/
One Dog Watching

Postby One Dog Watching » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Something a friend and I noticed in EWS...maybe it's been mentioned before, maybe not.

Watch the scene after the party where Alice is taking off her jewelry. "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" is playing. If you notice, there's a painting of a sun flower on the wall, to the right of Alice. Pay very close attention here...she reaches across her chest with her right hand to take off her left earring...right as she's taking off the earring, something flashes on the screen for a micro-second. It's small and it appears where the slope of her neck meets her right shoulder.

I can't tell what it is, but it's not a glitch or an error. Why? Because it has a sound effect. Something flashes on the screen, has a sound effect and then disappears within the blink of an eye. Within a second or two, Dr. Bill appears and kisses her on her neck, right where this thing had been. The sunflower painting seems random, except that nothing with Kubrick is actually random. So.... I found this at Rob Ager's site and found it interesting...go down near the bottom of the page and look at the photo of Alex's parents at the breakfast table to see the sunflower similarities:
http://www.collativelearning.com/ACO%20 ... 14%20.html
One Dog Watching

Postby Sweejak » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:56 pm

It's there all right. Looks like a glitch to me, but hey, it's Kubrick so maybe not. As far as I can tell it lasts for all of one single frame and the bass drum sound seems perfectly timed.
Sweejak

PreviousNext

Return to High Weirdness