My Project

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby desertfae » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:22 pm

I was thinking, whenever we get the land and start, should I post pics to show you guys what I'm doing? It probably won't be till spring or summer though, because can't build stuff like this in the winter.
desertfae- exposing the octopus
http://www.desertfae.com
desertfae

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chiggerbit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:59 pm

I was thinking, whenever we get the land and start, should I post pics to show you guys what I'm doing?

Yes, absolutely. I love pictures of people's projects, even garden or chicken projects, but especially building projects..
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:03 am

You do know that, before you buy land, you should check out zoning regulations and whether there's ever been any pollution in the general area, or if you plan on putting down a well, checking the possibility of running into something like coal, which can affect taste, right?
chiggerbit

Postby desertfae » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:05 am

chiggerbit wrote:You do know that, before you buy land, you should check out zoning regulations and whether there's ever been any pollution, or if you plan on putting down a well, checking the possibility of running into something like coal, which can affect taste, right?

Yep :) I'm on top of it
I actually think we MAY have found the right land tonight.. it's out in the middle of nowhere, but still has internet!! haha. It has a lake on it, multiple acres of farmable land, with a ton of straw that grows naturally. We'll see though, we're going out to check it out tomorrow.
desertfae- exposing the octopus
http://www.desertfae.com
desertfae

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:40 pm

I seem to remember that you said you lived in Kentucky or somewhere in that vicinity, desertfae. You might want to keep this in mind when building:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 1-1812.php
chiggerbit

Postby Peregrine » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:40 pm

desertfae wrote:I was thinking, whenever we get the land and start, should I post pics to show you guys what I'm doing? It probably won't be till spring or summer though, because can't build stuff like this in the winter.

Yes please! I'd love to see what comes of your project. I wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, as I find it very fascinating (and inspiring!), so I'll be checking in regularly. :)
Peregrine

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:21 pm

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/1999-12- ... y-ground/6

....Soils in the floodplain are typically unstable and subject to liquefaction in the event of an earthquake. The sand boils in southeast Missouri, which remain evident from the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-12, were caused by liquefaction. The phenomenon often occurs when seismic activity transforms loosely packed sand and silt into a fluid mass as a result of extreme pressure in the groundwater. The water table in the Missouri River bottom in St. Louis County is sometimes only a few feet from the surface. Whereas levees can redirect floodwaters elsewhere, nothing can stop a major earthquake from shaking the alluvial plain and turning parts of it into a giant cache of quicksand.

Jennifer Silverberg

State geologist David Hoffman in the Benton Hills, where he has investigated seismic activity.

"Good firm soil will not amplify the ground motion as much as a weak soil," says Theiss, who is a member of the Building Seismic Safety Council, a professional group that oversees building standards nationwide. "If you're near a river and you build on soil that was previously on a floodplain, that's the worst type of soil, because it magnifies the ground motion." ....
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Was thinking that a bit of extra reinforcement might not hurt.
chiggerbit

Re:

Postby Peregrine » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:30 pm

desertfae wrote:I was thinking, whenever we get the land and start, should I post pics to show you guys what I'm doing? It probably won't be till spring or summer though, because can't build stuff like this in the winter.

I know you've been a busy lady as of late, but any word on yur project? I hope things are going well for you & you have been able to get your project underway.

I've been discussing natural building materials with my man, we may be looking into this over the next year or so. I think Annie mentioned Rammed Earth building material as well & I've been looking at that, too.
~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Self Sufficiency