board upgrade and old 'ezboard' tags

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

board upgrade and old 'ezboard' tags

Postby Jeff » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:20 pm

When we upgraded the board software, the ancient 'ezboard' tags reappeared on the posts that were generated on the first RI board. So you may see garbage like this <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> currently on old posts (circa 2005-06).

Wanted to let you know I'm aware of it and it'll be cleaned up. In the meantime, if you're having trouble reading old posts because of the coding, use this link to browse the pre-upgraded version of the board which hid the ezboard codes.
Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: board upgrade and old 'ezboard' tags

Postby Uncle $cam » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Jeff or mods, whenever I click on the 'view the latest post' tab/icon thingy, (to the far right) it takes forever to load the most recent post, nearly 100% of the time it is just quicker to scroll all the way down the page to the said post, than it is to wait for it to load. I kept thinking it has something to do with the spiderweb-ing of the bots, (google, yahoo, etc...) however, that is just a mere guess, which may not have anything to do with it. I just find it extremely annoying; as I'm of the why have it, if you can't use it school. Is it something I can change on my end? Or can it be solved via tweaking the board?

Sorry to put this here, but I couldn't find the other maintenance upgrade kinks post.
Suffering raises up those souls that are truly great; it is only small souls that are made mean-spirited by it.
- Alexandra David-Neel
Uncle $cam

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Two unrelated questions about the update:

Before I try it, what does this friend/foe thing do?

Can we have links open in new tabs again? Thank you!!!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Jack, et said in an earlier thread the window in new tab feature could not be brought over here, but he did inform us that with Windows computers you can click the link using the center mouse button and it will automatically open in a new tab.

p.s. that headline thing I worked up was intended as a tribute, plus my shoddy attempt at using the new formatting features to approximate the design of a tabloid newspaper.

To Jeff- you mentioned at one point that the discussion board link at the RI blog would be diverted here, but I see that it's still going to the old board. Maybe you already know that; just thought I'd point it out as I'm not sure I would be able to find this place if I didn't already know about the upgrade.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks mgf2. Sure, I can right click. I just always forget b/c I'm used to the old convenience.

So another thing I missed, if anyone has explained it yet, is what this "friend/foe" thing means. Anyone?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby barracuda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:53 am

As far as I can tell, the Friends & Foes feature simply allows you rapid access in the User Control Panel to the profiles of the usernames you put in the list as "friends", and notifies you there if they happen to be online. The names you enter in as "foes" are processed as being in a state of a "semi-ignored" function. Instead of seeing their post, you'll get a notice at the point in the thread where their post would appear, which reads:

This post was made by [username of foe] who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

That's the program, essentially. Except that the "friends" avatars are also rendered in sparkle colors, but only on computers running Windows Vista.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Uncle $cam » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:35 am

Hello? *waves* can someone address my concerns please? Thanks....
Suffering raises up those souls that are truly great; it is only small souls that are made mean-spirited by it.
- Alexandra David-Neel
Uncle $cam

Postby barracuda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:25 am

I don't know, Uncle. It works perfectly and quickly on my device, so I'll have to try it on a few other machines, and see if it has to do with other issues. What's your browser?
barracuda

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Is anyone else having this problem...

When the text in this Post/Reply window goes beyond the heigth of the window and I am at the bottom of that long batch of text the damn view keeps kicking back to the top of the text. The "cursor" position appears to be remembered because if I paste something in at that time, even though I'm seeing the top of the post text, it pastes whatever I'm pasting at the bottom where the "cursor" was. But then it jumps back to the top again.

This is making it extremely difficult for me to edit posts.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby barracuda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Same here, elf, but only in Explorer. The Safari browser doesn't have this glitch. It's maddening.
barracuda

Postby Peregrine » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 pm

elfismiles wrote:Is anyone else having this problem...

When the text in this Post/Reply window goes beyond the heigth of the window and I am at the bottom of that long batch of text the damn view keeps kicking back to the top of the text. The "cursor" position appears to be remembered because if I paste something in at that time, even though I'm seeing the top of the post text, it pastes whatever I'm pasting at the bottom where the "cursor" was. But then it jumps back to the top again.

This is making it extremely difficult for me to edit posts.

YES! That makes me nuts trying to write a post or a pm... I was gonna ask about that as well.
~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 pm

barracuda wrote:Same here, elf, but only in Explorer. The Safari browser doesn't have this glitch. It's maddening.

thanks peregrine and 'cuda. Yeah, I'm on a PC at work and a mac at home (usually).

glad I'm not hallucinating again.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Uncle $cam » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks barracuda... I mostly use Opera, but sometimes firefox and it does it on both, I refuse to use Internet Exploder...lol

Also, I have had the same issues as miles speaks of, yet it comes and goes. Haven't figured out the pattern yet though...
- Alexandra David-Neel
Uncle $cam

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:37 pm

How about losing posts while signed in and being told to "sign in" when you hit "submit?"

I take a few minutes to write a post and when I hit "submit" I'm directed to log in to reply, my constructed post is totally disappeared.

This happened several times today.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby Aphelion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks for the new board, Jeff! Nice n' clean, and i'm digging it. :jumping:
"I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind.” ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Aphelion

Next

Return to General Discussion