Crop Circles Caused by Microwave Weapons?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Crop Circles Caused by Microwave Weapons?

Postby nomo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Of course, the discerning crowd at BoingBoing is having none of this. But read for yourself.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/23/in ... ien-g.html

In Search of Alien Glyphs (or are they microwave blasters?)

Jacques Vallee at 11:12 AM March 23, 2010

In Sept. 1991, I published in a New Age magazine my own hypothesis about the Crop Circles phenomenon. I speculated they involved a military aerial device (not a space-based instrument) for generating such designs using focused microwave beams, such as a "maser." At the time nobody wanted to hear that the beautiful pictures in English corn fields might be crafted by a technical team inside some lab, bouncing signals from a hovering platform and using individual corn stalks as simple pixels to calibrate a lethal device. So my paper was met with dead silence.

More recently, however, New Scientist has run an article titled "Microwaves could defuse bombs from afar" (April 18, 2009 issue). It begins: "The next weapon in the US army's arsenal could be a laser-guided microwave blaster designed to destroy explosives. The weapon, called the Multimode Directed Energy Armament System, uses a high-power laser to ionize the air, creating a plasma channel that acts as a waveguide for the stream of microwaves."

These things are typically revealed 30 years after they are tested, which fits well with the heyday of the crop circle frenzy.

It is interesting--and sobering--that nobody picked up on the New Scientist article either. The New Age folks were too busy deciphering the Alien Glyphs... while the scientific community had been hoodwinked by a few cleverly revealed and widely publicized hoaxes, and had long dismissed the whole thing.
New Scientist went on:

The device could destroy the electronic fuse of an explosive device or missile, such as a roadside bomb, or immobilize a vehicle by disabling its ignition system.... Further work on the system could also allow it to be used against people, delivering electric shocks. The weapon's range will depend on the laser-generated channel. Previously such channels have been limited to tens of meters, but (the Army) believes it may be possible to extend this to a kilometer or more.

This is consistent with the hypothesis I had presented, of beams from a low-observable dirigible (such as the object an English friend of mine, an Oxford physics professor, saw from his glider in England, which was a perfectly-reflecting cylinder) using corn fields as a convenient calibration target. Why this isn't obvious to the paranormal research community is a complete puzzle to me.

The development is hidden in plain sight, which is the best way to keep something secret, and it is camouflaged sociologically by clever use of misdirection (actual hoaxes, later "revealed" to the world press) and the public's continuing belief in first-order alien communication.

Is there a lesson for us in here somewhere?
nomo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Crop Circles Caused by Microwave Weapons?

Postby madeupname452 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 pm

These things are typically revealed 30 years after they are tested...

http://hhmsssword.blogspot.com/2010/03/part-3-curious-case-of-militant-shuttle.html
the secret space force :angelwings:

see also http://abovespaceandtime.blip.tv/ Big Machines Parked In Orbit and filmed through a telescope
madeupname452

Postby Nordic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:40 pm

madeupname452 wrote:
These things are typically revealed 30 years after they are tested...

http://hhmsssword.blogspot.com/2010/03/part-3-curious-case-of-militant-shuttle.html
the secret space force :angelwings:

see also http://abovespaceandtime.blip.tv/ Big Machines Parked In Orbit and filmed through a telescope

Interesting stuff there. Thanks.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Hammer of Los » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:58 pm

I totally agree with Vallee, that microwave weapons are likely responsible for (some) crop circles.

Er, thats it.
Hammer of Los

Postby barracuda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:18 am

It's kinda fun to observe the collectors of internet miscellenia over at BoingBoing encountering some quality woo from the likes of Vallee. Even in that context, his idea takes on a tenor of complete preposterousness that seems to actually anger the readers. Here in Greater Wooville, his idea suffers the contempt of familiarity, though I've always liked the idea that cylindrical UFO's are being used as anamorphic mirror projectors for the targeting platforms. It's a trick that goes back to the early Renaissance, and which may have ocassionally been used in the capacity of a cypher encoding device even then.

I guess a computer could easily stretch any pattern around the proper polar coordinate grid to produce a predictable outcome on the ground.

There's a great history of cylindrical UFO's out there as well. Here's a nice German one from 1944, with a cool story behind it:

And a cute bullet shaped object over California just last year:

And this one over Manchester, probably on the way to decorate a barley field:

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:03 am

fishface wrote:Here in Greater Wooville, his idea suffers the contempt of familiarity(.)

I'm chuckling. Yes, you are quite right. And furthermore, amusing. That accounts for my terse response earlier.

Which of course, just leaves the question;

Why do microwave beam weaponry operators seek to convince the public that aliens are sending them messages? It's a cover, yes, but why the specific images and messages that have been conveyed, either through mathematics or other forms of code?

Chilbolton, anyone?

I guess they are just preparing us for when their fake UFO's arrive with gifts of technology to save the planet. Perhaps Ben Creme and all the rest really are seeding the field for the big day. Perhaps the UFOnauts will insist we join together in a global government, in order to usher in a new era of social and environmental justice and technological liberation from famine, war and disaster. Sounds good, doesn't it? Much better than having to nuke Jerusalem, anyway.
Hammer of Los

Postby elfismiles » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am

Interesting idea Cuda.

Vallee has been suggesting the microwave angle since the 1990s.

As for that "California Bullet" ... Salt Lake City Blimp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbED8TZeOaA

Thursday, June 14, 2007
UPDATE: 'UFO' Recorded Over Salt Lake City
http://www.theufochronicles.com/2007/06 ... -city.html

Blimp 'UFO' Was Being Developed By Utah Man
By Doug Ware / KUTV.com / 6-14-07
http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_164122850.html

Salt Lake City UFO - Fri Jun 15, 2007
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/webl ... _city_ufo/

barracuda wrote:...I've always liked the idea that cylindrical UFO's are being used as anamorphic mirror projectors for the targeting platforms. It's a trick that goes back to the early Renaissance, and which may have ocassionally been used in the capacity of a cypher encoding device even then.

<snip>

There's a great history of cylindrical UFO's out there as well.

<snip>

And a cute bullet shaped object over California just last year:

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby barracuda » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 pm

Part two of Vallee's BoingBoing crop circle conundrum:

My previous post about crop circles could be considered, among other things, as a social science test of the role of belief systems in the manipulation of memes and factual data. One of the meta-questions that interest me has to do with the spontaneous rejection of new or unpopular ideas, even in the supposedly open, free and consciousness-enhancing environment of the web.

It seems that what was "forbidden science" in academia is also forbidden in cyberspace. The specific hypothesis offered--that crop circles are the result of a U.K. defense electronics development project--only elicited 19 responses discussing the facts or arguing for or against the idea itself. Among the other 40 responses while the thread was open, 15 asserted their authors' strongly-held pre-existing belief (the circles MUST be made by Aliens or by hoaxers), 14 simply expressed a flat rejection with no arguments, and fully 11 responses can only be described as cyber-bullying: personal insults, whose authors did not even bother to refer to the subject of the post. What does that say for the ability of new web-based media to support intelligent debate on controversial scientific issues, censored or strongly discouraged in the scientific environment?

The kindest response was typically expressed as "this has to be a joke."

So let me take things a bit further and explain why the hypothesis is not a joke but a logical result from observation and from the process of asking the right questions.

If we begin with questions like "Could this be done by Aliens?" or "What is the message of the Glyphs?" as most people have done we can only get into endless arguments based on personal bias or belief. But what are the relevant questions?

Early in the history of English crop circles, a French lab listed three critical issues:

(1) does the phenomenon change over time and if so, in what way?

(2) what exactly happens to the plants when they are flattened?

(3) is there something special about the sites?

This led to a formal program of field collection (investigators with precise instructions sent to gather samples) and the results were presented at various conferences, notably at a meeting of the Society for Scientific Exploration in Denver (photo below) and the following year at Stanford University (on August 8, 1990) where I introduced a presentation by Jean-Jacques Velasco, a researcher with CNES. The data he offered was as conveniently ignored as it was straightforward:

(1) the phenomenon began with single circles that English and U.S. weather scientists first tried to explain as atmospheric vortices. Soon there were multiple circles in various geometric combinations, and in following years the designs became increasingly complex, leading to the idea that we were witnessing a classic, step-by-step program of technology development--not an atmospheric anomaly but not some sort of paranormal effect either.

(2) Given that SOME of the patterns were obviously man-made hoaxes, it was possible to compare the effect on the plants in genuine versus bogus patterns. Under the microscope the results were clear: if you push a board across a wheat field to flatten it, you will break the stalks between nodes because the nodes are thicker and stronger. But in the unexplained, complex patterns the nodes themselves were exploded, often keeping the fibers intact. Conclusion: something was coupling energy into the plants in the form of heat (as one of the respondents to my first post actually stated). Therefore the idea of a beam weapon is indeed one of the scenarios to consider.

(3) The crop circles are close to ancient megalithic sites, which excites the curiosity of New Age tourists from America, but they are even closer to the most highly classified military electronics labs in Britain. In fact the roads to some of the fields run between two high fences behind which defense companies are doing research, and Army helicopters routinely patrol the area.

Answering these three basic questions does not tell us what the beam consists of, or why it is being developed. It does support the notion that the crop circles are a technological development designed to calibrate a novel type of focused energy weapon, since the resolution can be elegantly measured on the ground within the thickness of a single stalk of wheat. While the tests could presumably be conducted in remote areas, there must be some distance constraint that dictates that initial experiments have to be close to the emitting labs.

Atmospheric physicist Dr. Joachim Kuettner of University Corporation for Atmospheric Research discussing the Crop circle problem with Dr. Jacques Vallee and Jean-Jacques Velasco of Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales at a meeting of the Society for Scientific Exploration in 1989 in Denver.

I can take no credit for any of this: several groups were involved in the same research as the French lab and their findings were similarly published many years ago, including microscope photographs of the plants with exploded nodes. Labs in the U.S. (Department of Agriculture, M.I.T. etc.) repeated the tests with the same results. Yet public opinion and scientific opinion ignored the new evidence and continued to reject any notion that disturbed their comfortable, pre-conceived beliefs.

This does leave several issues unanswered: Who are the hoaxers and what is their exact role in the charade? How does the technology work to actually make the designs? Could it be directed from space or simply from an aerial platform? And why would anyone develop such a beam in the first place?

I don't claim to have complete answers, but my own hypothesis is that the beams are produced from a hovering, low observable device. I will discuss these points in my next post. Regarding the last question -- "why would anyone develop such a beam?" -- I leave you with yet another intriguing article from New Scientist (issue of 23 July 2009, article by David Hambling):

Microwave weapon will rain pain from the sky
The Pentagon's enthusiasm for non-lethal crowd-control weapons appears to have stepped up a gear with its decision to develop a microwave pain-infliction system that can be fired from an aircraft.

"The device is an extension of its controversial Active Denial System, which uses microwaves to heat the surface of the skin, creating a painful sensation without burning that strongly motivates the target to flee. The ADS was unveiled in 2001, but it has not been deployed owing to legal issues and safety fears.

But of course, one can think of many other interesting applications, in the lethal category.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Simulist » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby LilyPatToo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Great article, thank you--bookmarked. This bit was especially intriguing to me:
(3) The crop circles are close to ancient megalithic sites, which excites the curiosity of New Age tourists from America, but they are even closer to the most highly classified military electronics labs in Britain. In fact the roads to some of the fields run between two high fences behind which defense companies are doing research, and Army helicopters routinely patrol the area.

I no longer do much reading on the subject of crop circles, so this bit of information really struck me as being both new (to me) and vital to any serious discussion of the subject. But I have no idea how widely known it is. Within the New Age community I imagine it's just filed under "the military is investigating the alien messages" and mostly ignored. Has anyone here come across maps that show both circle locations and nearby British military R&D labs? How about American ones? That would be interesting to ponder.

Years ago, when I was a New Ager, I went to hear Freddy Silva speak locally. He passed around a stalk of wheat from a "genuine" (non-faked) circle and I was struck by the way it had been bent at a node, rather than broken. It reminded me of solid substances that had been melted and flawlessly reformed and I felt that was a clue to the type of force that had been exerted on the plant. But no one I knew back then had any interest in exploring the "how"...they were excitedly into the "why" and the "who." Which of course feeds into the whole New Age/Human Potential Movements' use in mass mind control, particularly the anti-scientific, don't-ask-questions and Be Mystified! parts.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby psynapz » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:45 pm

LilyPatToo wrote:Which of course feeds into the whole New Age/Human Potential Movements' use in mass mind control, particularly the anti-scientific, don't-ask-questions and Be Mystified! parts.

Plz post more. Kthx!
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby Simulist » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 pm

The so-called "new age" gets to one segment of an easily-influenced population, "the established religions" get to another — and if there's still anybody left out, the fake political "left" and the ridiculous and ravenous "right" try to scoop up any remaining autonomous minds in America, and usually succeed.

We're all herded in many, many ways — and most of us are generously willing to acknowledge this... well, until the way that herds "me" best is mentioned.

Then it becomes a "conspiracy theory."
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby The Consul » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:05 pm

It is the Mr. Jones syndrome. You know there is something happening, but....if indeed it is some kind of military industrial experiment then the hoaxers would be good cover, especially if there were a way for them to profit from it. There are businesses that incorporate the imagery and vibe (starting perhaps with Led Zepplins first box set) and going through a host of small publishers and even Hollywood. Wherever there is "govt intelligence" involved there is always a great depth of deception. It is possible it is any of the things that people speculate and probable it is a combination thereof. But if a microwave were being used it seems that scientifically that could be proved at some point; though not necessarily believed or widely disseminated. From the first I heard of them I thought it was something shadowy from the boys with toys. But that is a prejudice on my part. When a boy in Montana one of my history teachers lost his prize stud simental bull who had his lips removed and various other atrocities violating the carcass. This during the appearance of "black helicoptors without blades." No clue if it was true. Don't know why he would tell such a lie. He was also the football coach, not a space linked being. But hitchiking around the same time I got picked up by a madman who claimed to be a B-52 pilot who ran practice missions through the Deer Lodge Valley at night because it had geophysical properties similar to some approach run to the USSR. This guy really was crazy. I don't know if anything he said was true. But he was definetly a pilot and he was fucking nuts. So, something was happening, I just didn't know what. I do not understand microwave technology. I probably still wouldn't if you explained it to me. I think you could prove beyond most reasonable doubt that some Echelon-like entity is somehow operating with effect on crop circles....but, an echelon like enity is operating here in Washington State in the Yakima Valley as reported in the Seattle PI but....it's like underwhelming, the response. All media has become more and more like the Enquirer. Everything is bullshit. And the strays are marked and monitored. Certainly echelonicka is processing here, if not actively or passively contributing. Scientific proof means little to those who have no respect, undertanding or harbour outright denial. This, in America, counts for a large swath of the population. My greast question is does this population need further control? If the answer is yes, then what is the presumptive Dr. Gottleib up to? I used to visit this site frequently but left when there was too much invective and slander. I would say now it seems to be better. Some posts and posters are definitely in Jeff's league. Humbly I know I am not one of them and thereby avoid opinionating. A unifying theory of all this is quite possible (if possible at all) on a site like this. That is why I have never strayed very far. A different kind of sense could be at the tick. Or not. You could go to log on here one day and get up from your chair to say "The duck has his head in the noose, master", and go down to Home Depot, buy a shovel, and start digging graves in the back yards of your neighborhood. Some kind of cyber "bullet" sent your way. These bastards are capable of anything.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby LilyPatToo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:01 pm

A decade and a half ago, while researching a cyberpunk novel I was then struggling to write, I spoke to 2 computer science guys who work at UC Berkeley. One whispered to me to meet him outside in the courtyard of the CompSci building in a few minutes. When I did, I heard a completely believable personal account of a childhood camping trip and the discovery of a huge "V" of strangely dissected cattle lying in a remote pasture. (I'd asked both men about personal knowledge of cyberlegends with paranormal flavors--a lá William Gibson--so I guess he figured he could tell me about his non-relevant but still very interesting encounter without fearing ridicule or committing professional suicide)

My guess is that there are probably thousands of people like him who are reluctant to admit to having witnessed High Weirdness stuff like crop circles. And I'm pretty sure that's due to not wanting to be identified with the specious crap fed so generously to New Agers by the social architects who labor for our government. Gottlieb's nasty MKULTRA psy-related experiments (and all their successors) contributed data that I think went straight to the progenitors of W.O.O. (Hugh's Wonderment Occluding Objectivity) and thence into building the custom blinders worn by True Believers of the New Age sort...as opposed to those worn by the traditionally religious, the Right, the Left, and the Center.

That underwhelming public response you mentioned, Consul, is the result. All that carefully-crafted disinfo inoculates the public against looking deeper into what may actually be invisibility cloaks for military and civilian intelligence agency (and USAP R & D) shenanigans. Even human trafficking has been disguised thusly (and spun as something that only happens to other-than-white folks in benighted foreign countries, but that's a subject for another thread). Some of those crop-circle-making aliens also abduct humans, you see, as well as mutilating cattle....

It's the hope of an undeniable grand unifying theory of all of this that keeps me reading here too. But IMHO Jeff's already uncovered quite a bit of it, yet that apathetic, deep-in-denial public has so far successfully ignored the implications of his blogs and this forum's discussions, haven't they? :? What will it take to get their attention and hold it long enough to penetrate their perceptual screens, I wonder? The idea of aliens making crop circles is SO much more fun than copters or satellites test-firing microwave weapons.... :P

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby The Consul » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:10 pm

To be stateless in the state is no easy task. Recently took my boy to Disneyland and concluded America is one big, frolicking Jonestown. There are many Joneses standing in line to take the last Jones' place. Like the poet said, memory revises me. It being a critical faculty to be skeptical and to distrust one's own memory, it is essential to be wary of official, constantly reconstructing recollection. One of the boys with toys games is bound to bounce way beyond their control one of these days (several have, but they always seem to incorporate the the shit stains of yesterday's massacre into tomorrows apocalyptic vision of liberty). Everything is marginalized as either fiction or "theory"....forget how they have corrupted the word conspiracy for a minute, they have even cuisanarted the word "theory" which the boys, when they need to, use it as a euphemism for bullshit. Science should really only be the plaything of DS&T and the pentagon, where many theories of human behavior and psychology abound. I personally fear that the boys are not stupid or incompetent as we might hope. They not only know the dieoff is coming, they are actively engaged in managing it. The hive cannot be sustained with this many bees and whatever honey doesn't dry up is about to transform into a toxic drug that drives the last of the unchosen mad. What to call it? How about, the Rapture?
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Next

Return to General Discussion