Julian Assange wanted in Sweden for alleged rapes

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Julian Assange wanted in Sweden for alleged rapes

Postby jingofever » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:09 am

Wikileaks grundare anhållen för våldtäkt:

Wikileaks founders Julian Assange sought by Swedish police. He is on suspicion of rape in Stockholm. He is charged in his absence, confirming Mary Häljebo Kjell Beach, duty prosecutor in Stockholm City, to Expressen...

Wikileaks responds with two tweets:

Tweet the first: We were warned to expect "dirty tricks". Now we have the first one...

Tweet the second: Expressen is a tabloid; No one here has been contacted by Swedish police. Needless to say this will prove hugely distracting.

And Julian has stopped bleaching his hair, perhaps in a frantic attempt to evade Swedish authorities:

It would be unimaginably stupid to go on a rape spree when governments around the world are waiting to pounce on you and I don't think Assange is stupid.
jingofever

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Julian Assange wanted in Sweden for alleged rapes

Postby 82_28 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:57 am

Holy fucking shit!!!! This is meta meta meta meta. So much chaff in the air. For the first time in a long time, I am 100% confused about what the angle is on all this. For people like us, as I do imagine the "community" of RI and other fellow travelers, this seems to be a shot across the bow. This "shot across the bow" is kinda exactly how I imagined it would go down when the documents were posted -- I just didn't think it would be such a brazen story that defies all logic for both Assange and the going psyop media cycle. This will be very difficult to unravel with both rigor and intuition insofar as the coming bloodbath economically and militarily the "MSM" has begun to begin mentioning.

Intuition tells me bullshit. But when you go back a few steps, as per Chris Floyd's missive about the whole thing, we never found out anything we didn't know in the first place. What a fucking bummer. I was hoping for the "media" to get past this whole wikileaks thing and we could move on to the reality of football season coming up.

All I can say is FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE. Whoever Assange really is (if he is real -- good luck man, fuck), this WAS a shot across all of our bows, who oppose all empire and all war. Goddamn, another puzzle.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby undead » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:23 am

82_28 wrote:For the first time in a long time, I am 100% confused about what the angle is on all this.

Don't worry. Jesus is coming and when he gets here he will explain everything.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby tazmic » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:40 am

82_28 wrote:Holy fucking shit!!!! This is meta meta meta meta. So much chaff in the air. For the first time in a long time, I am 100% confused about what the angle is on all this.

Life imitates ARG.
"It ever was, and is, and shall be, ever-living fire, in measures being kindled and in measures going out." - Heraclitus

"There aren't enough small numbers to meet the many demands made of them." - Strong Law of Small Numbers
tazmic

Postby StarmanSkye » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:07 am

I guess 'they' are opening the cautionary-payback retribution attack with rape just to set the stage for his PR discreditation before they go to the next stage & accuse him of serial necro-pederophilia.

Full Spectrum Dominance indeed.

Bastards. (To put it mildly).

My instinct is, its a put-up job.

What an impossible challenge it would be to insure against that kind of cred attack. I sure HOPE its not true, anyway.
StarmanSkye

Postby wintler2 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:48 am

Our ABC is playing a BBC report on this, saying prosecutors have issued warrants. Copy of the AFP report:
WikiLeaks founder wanted in Sweden for rape

(AFP) – 2 hours ago

STOCKHOLM — The founder of the controversial whistleblower website WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, is wanted in Sweden where he has been accused of rape, the prosecutor's office said Saturday.

"Julian Assange is wanted for two different issues, one of them is that he's suspected of rape in Sweden," the director of communications Karin Rosander told AFP.

He was unable to say what the other accusation was or whether the search warrant was international.

According to the Swedish daily Expressen, the 39-year-old Australian is also wanted for assaulting a woman.

Kristinn Hrafnsson, a colleague of Assange's who spoke to AFP from Iceland, said that the charges against him were false.

"He didn't know of the charges until he read them in the right wing tabloid Expressen this morning", Hrafnsson said. "There are powerful organisations who want to do harm to WikiLeaks."

Hrafnsson said Assange was still in Sweden and would "go to the police very quickly."

Last week Assange announced at a press conference in Stockholm that the whistleblower website was set to publish a final batch of 15,000 secret documents on the war in Afghanistan in "a couple of weeks."

"still in Sweden" .. the guy needs a boat (assuming he is innocent).

jingofever wrote:..And Julian has stopped bleaching his hair, perhaps in a frantic attempt to evade Swedish authorities:

Wordis the silver grey was natural, turned that colour during a prolonged child custody battle some years ago.
"Wintler2, you are a disgusting example of a human being, the worst kind in existence on God's Earth. This is not just my personal judgement.." BenD

Research question: are all god botherers authoritarians?
wintler2

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 am

I hear he eats newborn babies raw and in his spare time enjoys watching cats explode in the microwave

Why WikiLeaks Must Be Protected
Friday 20 August 2010
by: John Pilger, t r u t h o u t | Op-Ed

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. (Photo: Esther Dyson / Flickr)
On 26 July, WikiLeaks released thousands of secret US military files on the war in Afghanistan. Cover-ups, a secret assassination unit and the killing of civilians are documented. In file after file, the brutalities echo the colonial past. From Malaya and Vietnam to Bloody Sunday and Basra, little has changed. The difference is that, today, there is an extraordinary way of knowing how faraway societies are routinely ravaged in our name. WikiLeaks has acquired records of six years of civilian killing for both Afghanistan and Iraq, of which those published in the Guardian, Der Spiegel and The New York Times are but a fraction.

There is, understandably, hysteria on high, with demands that the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange be "hunted down" and "rendered." In Washington, I interviewed a senior Defense Department official and asked, "Can you give a guarantee that the editors of WikiLeaks and the editor in chief, who is not American, will not be subjected to the kind of manhunt that we read about in the media?" He replied, "It's not my position to give guarantees on anything." He referred me to the "ongoing criminal investigation" of a US soldier, Bradley Manning, an alleged whistleblower. In a nation that claims its constitution protects truth tellers, the Obama administration is pursuing and prosecuting more whistleblowers than any of its modern predecessors. A Pentagon document states bluntly that US intelligence intends to "fatally marginalize" WikiLeaks. The preferred tactic is smear, with corporate journalists ever ready to play their part.

On 31 July, the American celebrity reporter Christiane Amanapour interviewed Secretary of Defense Robert Gates on the ABC network. She invited Gates to describe to her viewers his "anger" at WikiLeaks. She echoed the Pentagon line that "this leak has blood on its hands," thereby cuing Gates to find WikiLeaks "guilty" of "moral culpability." Such hypocrisy coming from a regime drenched in the blood of the people of Afghanistan and Iraq - as its own files make clear - is apparently not for journalistic inquiry. This is hardly surprising now that a new and fearless form of public accountability, which WikiLeaks represents, threatens not only the war makers but their apologists.

It's not easy being a progressive because there is little money in it. Truthout needs your support. Please donate today to help the cause.

Their current propaganda is that WikiLeaks is "irresponsible." Earlier this year, before it released the cockpit video of an American Apache gunship killing 19 civilians in Iraq, including journalists and children, WikiLeaks sent people to Baghdad to find the families of the victims in order to prepare them. Prior to the release of last month's "Afghan War Logs," WikiLeaks wrote to the White House asking that it identify names that might draw reprisals. There was no reply. More than 15,000 files were withheld and these, says Assange, will not be released until they have been scrutinized "line by line" so that names of those at risk can be deleted.

The pressure on Assange himself seems unrelenting. In his homeland, Australia, the shadow Foreign Minister, Julie Bishop, has said that if her right-wing coalition wins the general election on 21 August, "appropriate action" will be taken "if an Australian citizen has deliberately undertake an activity that could put at risk the lives of Australian forces in Afghanistan or undermine our operations in any way." The Australian role in Afghanistan, effectively mercenary in the service of Washington, has produced two striking results: the massacre of five children in a village in Oruzgan province and the overwhelming disapproval of the majority of Australians.

Last May, following the release of the Apache footage, Assange had his Australian passport temporarily confiscated when he returned home. The Labor government in Canberra denies it has received requests from Washington to detain him and spy on the WikiLeaks network. The Cameron government also denies this. They would, wouldn't they? Assange, who came to London last month to work on exposing the war logs, has had to leave Britain hastily for, as puts it, "safer climes."

On 16 August, The Guardian, citing Daniel Ellsberg, described the great Israeli whistleblower Mordechai Vanunu as "the pre-eminent hero of the nuclear age." Vanunu, who alerted the world to Israel's secret nuclear weapons, was kidnapped by the Israelis and incarcerated for 18 years after he was left unprotected by the London Sunday Times, which had published the documents he supplied. In 1983, another heroic whistleblower, Sarah Tisdall, a Foreign Office clerical officer, sent documents to The Guardian that disclosed how the Thatcher government planned to spin the arrival of American cruise missiles in Britain. The Guardian complied with a court order to hand over the documents, and Tisdall went to prison.

In one sense, the WikiLeaks revelations shame the dominant section of journalism devoted merely to taking down what cynical and malign power tells it. This is state stenography, not journalism. Look on the WikiLeaks site and read a Ministry of Defense document that describes the "threat" of real journalism. And so it should be a threat. Having published skillfully the WikiLeaks expose of a fraudulent war, The Guardian should now give its most powerful and unreserved editorial support to the protection of Assange and his colleagues, whose truth telling is as important as any in my lifetime.

I like Assange's dust-dry wit. When I asked him if it was more difficult to publish secret information in Britain, he replied, "When we look at Official Secrets Act labelled documents we see that they state it is offence to retain the information and an offence to destroy the information. So the only possible outcome we have is to publish the information."

I really respect Pilger
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 am

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby anothershamus » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:14 am

82_28 wrote:Holy fucking shit!!!! This is meta meta meta meta. So much chaff in the air. For the first time in a long time, I am 100% confused about what the angle is on all this. For people like us, as I do imagine the "community" of RI and other fellow travelers, this seems to be a shot across the bow. This "shot across the bow" is kinda exactly how I imagined it would go down when the documents were posted -- I just didn't think it would be such a brazen story that defies all logic for both Assange and the going psyop media cycle. This will be very difficult to unravel with both rigor and intuition insofar as the coming bloodbath economically and militarily the "MSM" has begun to begin mentioning.

Intuition tells me bullshit. But when you go back a few steps, as per Chris Floyd's missive about the whole thing, we never found out anything we didn't know in the first place. What a fucking bummer. I was hoping for the "media" to get past this whole wikileaks thing and we could move on to the reality of football season coming up.

All I can say is FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE. Whoever Assange really is (if he is real -- good luck man, fuck), this WAS a shot across all of our bows, who oppose all empire and all war. Goddamn, another puzzle.

Someone of TPTB is running scared! This is such an obvious distraction that it must have been their last gasp at stopping wikileaks. Unfortunately, if it sticks around the media for very long, large portions of the indiscriminate public will start to believe it. (A-LA the Karl Rove doctrine.)

Run Julian Run!
)'(
anothershamus

Postby bks » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:54 am

jingofever wrote:

It would be unimaginably stupid to go on a rape spree when governments around the world are waiting to pounce on you and I don't think Assange is stupid.

I will be interested to see how the story develops, and I would not want to hazard an opinion beyond the convenient nature of the timing. But I don't know that a true rapist is going to give up opportunities because the authorities (of any kind) are after him.
bks

Postby ultramegagenius » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:08 am

seemslikeadream wrote:Assange charged with rape. Pretty unusual approach from the CIA – they usually just shoot people in the head.

unknowns and real threats they shoot in the head. symbols that need to be diffused with a slow burn they usually bog down in lengthy court battles that end in suicide/ heart attack/ rare cancers... :shock:
ultramegagenius

Postby Jeff » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:42 am

From the office of the Swedish Prosecution Authority:

Assange no longer wanted

Chief prosector Eva Finné has come to the desicion that Julian Assange is not suspected of rape. Considering that, Assange is no longer arrested in his absence.

http://www.aklagare.se/In-English/
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby No_Baseline » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:59 am

curiouser and curiouser

cheshire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No_Baseline

Postby Simulist » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Jeff wrote:From the office of the Swedish Prosecution Authority:

Assange no longer wanted

Chief prosector Eva Finné has come to the desicion that Julian Assange is not suspected of rape. Considering that, Assange is no longer arrested in his absence.

Glad to hear it. Who needs a real trial and a real conviction when the real point seems to be confounding perceptions? (Magic shows are so fun that way...)

Is Assange a "good guy" or a "bad guy"? Let the controversy continue anew!

At least Raymond Lee Harvey and Oswaldo Espinoza Ortiz wont have to room with yet another "felon" from central casting. (You know, in that non-existent prison they're in.)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby DoYouEverWonder » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Jeff wrote:From the office of the Swedish Prosecution Authority:

Assange no longer wanted

Can he sue his accuser for fraud?
DoYouEverWonder

Next

Return to General Discussion