Katy Perry = Jon Benet

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Katy Perry = Jon Benet

Postby pepsified thinker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 am

Pretty gross to have to look at this, but since my immediate reaction was 'Looks like Jon Benet' and about every other comment on Huffpo said the same thing--and I'm never really followed the Jon Benet case--seemed interesting.

a) that Jon Benet's appearance is still so widely recognized,

b) that--assuming this really is Katy Perry--she looks so much like Jon Benet. Does this say something about how generic little girl models were/are?

c) the adult hand in the picture with the little girl face is just a weird, gross thing for all that it suggests.

Okay, what else is there to say that I missed?
"we must cultivate our garden"
--Voltaire
pepsified thinker

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Katy Perry = Jon Benet

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:34 am

Does anybody recall that documentary from a few years back, perhaps even 5 or 7 years, that was about these little kid pageants? I remember these two southern gay guys (they had southern accents) who ran some kind of a camp as like consultants to the parents or something. I just can't remember where I saw it. It was fucking creepy and well worth watching.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby barracuda » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:46 am

I think it probably is Katy Perry. Above is a slightly older picture of her which looks quite a bit like the image in the OP.

There are, I think, certain limitations inherent in the process of applying a stereotypical beauty makeup to a very young girl which tend to produce a likeness of quality where there might be little resemblance in the original features. I don't find the similarity to be startling. The picture above was the closest match I could find, even down to the clothing color, and as it is one of the more widely distributed images of Jon Benet Ramsey, that may explain some of the comments. Remove the showgirl pageant paint and the sameness fades considerably.

The very sad thing is the attachment that people seem to have to the image of the murdered girl. I think there are those who simply wish she was still alive somehow. Others probably have motivations for the obsession which are far less sympathetic.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Nordic » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:48 am

She's dead, Jim.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Nordic wrote:She's dead, Jim.

But not as we know it.

Sorry
Seamus OBlimey

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Seamus OBlimey wrote:

But not as we know it.

Sorry

There's no way that Russell Brand is married to Jon Benet Ramsey. Not even by accident. Even a benevolent God wouldn't just drop that kind of material into his hands.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Nordic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 pm

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:
Seamus OBlimey wrote:

But not as we know it.

Sorry

There's no way that Russell Brand is married to Jon Benet Ramsey. Not even by accident. Even a benevolent God wouldn't just drop that kind of material into his hands.

How is this stuff common knowledge? I barely know who Russell Brand is. I think he's annoying as shit (once I realized who he was, that guy in the Sarah Marshall movie, which I only have seen because of my stepdaughter). Now, suddenly out of the blue, someone named "Katy Perry" is insanely famous. I have no idea who she is except I saw a promo for some award show she was gonna be on and I noticed she had a nice rack. Turns out she's hugely famous. And now I find out at R.I. of all places that these two are married?

I'm actually glad I don't know this crap, and dismayed I can't get away from it completely.
Nordic

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

He's British, Russell Brand, and I'm technically British too. It's like a Mafia. He's virtually my son. We all know each other.

It works both ways, though, because I don't know who Katy Perry is, except by name. Her name's Katy Perry, I hear. Married to Russell Brand, they say. She could be the exact physical spitting image of Jon Benet Ramsey, though, and I wouldn't know either way without the pictures in this thread. Unless I saw her on TV or something someday. Which I never will.

This is how it works, though. We send you all our shitty irritating failed comedians and commentators and actors and politicians, and you spend millions of dollars putting them into huge Hollywood films and international Aid bodies, and the Boards of massive Wall Street Firms, and in return I happen to overhear Katy Perry's name a couple of times somehow and remember that she's married Russell Brand.

It's a good system. Don't spoil it. :lol:
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Nordic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Suddenly it all makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I still don't know who Katy Perry is except that she's suddenly famous, like Justin Beiber. Just out of the blue.
Nordic

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Seamus OBlimey

Postby gnosticheresy_2 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:45 pm

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:.
He's British, Russell Brand, and I'm technically British too. It's like a Mafia. He's virtually my son. We all know each other.

It works both ways, though, because I don't know who Katy Perry is, except by name. Her name's Katy Perry, I hear. Married to Russell Brand, they say. She could be the exact physical spitting image of Jon Benet Ramsey, though, and I wouldn't know either way without the pictures in this thread. Unless I saw her on TV or something someday. Which I never will.

This is how it works, though. We send you all our shitty irritating failed comedians and commentators and actors and politicians, and you spend millions of dollars putting them into huge Hollywood films and international Aid bodies, and the Boards of massive Wall Street Firms, and in return I happen to overhear Katy Perry's name a couple of times somehow and remember that she's married Russell Brand.

It's a good system. Don't spoil it. :lol:

This reply was brought to you from the middle of the Gobi desert, on the driest day of the year :rofl:
gnosticheresy_2

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 pm

Nordic wrote:
I barely know who Russell Brand is. I think he's annoying as shit (once I realized who he was, that guy in the Sarah Marshall movie, which I only have seen because of my stepdaughter).

I thought more or less the same, and knew little of the bloke, but then stumbled upon this interview [it may have been initially linked in this forum somewhere]:

[Part 1]

[Part 2]

Some astute observations on the use of 'celebrity culture' in mainstream media.
One example of someone with a bit more depth than we may initially presume..

[quite the speed-talker though, huh? Must be all the free 'Pepsi' prior to going live]
Belligerent Savant

Postby 8bitagent » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:28 am

Man I remember that case like it was yesterday. I remember some theory regarding a local pedo ring or something, but I guess like many cases it remains a mystery. But the case was definitely one of the biggest media stirs post OJ but right before Lewinski
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Harvey » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:22 pm

This is one of those RI threads where I remain gloriously bewildered and blissfully unaware of all personages, without even the slightest compulsion to Google.

Except of course for knowing that Russell Brand is one of those faux eccentric annoying fucktards we seem to create with such fecundity. You know the type, the scrote who is blessed with such overweening innocence of their own insignificant talent that they could never in the lifetime of the universe conceive of their own mediocrity, in the face of all and any contrary evidence and it would be brutish and unnecessarily cruel to try to dissuade them.

Sigh.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby norton ash » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Respectfully disagree. I think Brand's a smart comedian who's either very naturally talented, or has trained hard at the crafts of clowning, movement, and voice. His schtick may seem limited now, but time will tell.
Zen horse
norton ash

Next

Return to General Discussion