UK Guardian: CIA drew up UN spying wishlist for diplomats

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

UK Guardian: CIA drew up UN spying wishlist for diplomats

Postby lupercal » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:21 pm

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 2 December 2010 19.44 GMT

The US state department's wishlist of information about the United Nations secretary-general, Ban Ki-moon, and other senior members of his organisation was drawn up by the CIA, the Guardian has learned.

The disclosure comes as new information emerged about Washington's intelligence gathering on foreign diplomats, including surveillance of the telephone and internet use of Iranian and Chinese diplomats.

One of the most embarrassing revelations to emerge from US diplomatic cables obtained by the whistleblowers' website WikiLeaks has been that US diplomats were asked to gather intelligence on Ban, other senior UN staff, security council members and other foreign diplomats – a possible violation of international law.

US state department spokesman PJ Crowley, in interviews since the release, has tried to deflect criticism by repeatedly hinting that although the cables were signed by secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, and her predecessor, Condoleezza Rice, they originated with another agency. But he refused to identify it.

The Guardian has learned that the intelligence shopping list is drawn up annually by the manager of Humint (human intelligence), a post created by the Bush administration in 2005 in a push to better co-ordinate intelligence after 9/11.

Humint is part of the CIA, which deals with overseas spying overseas and is one of at least 12 US intelligence agencies.

The manager of Humint sets out priorities for the coming year and sends them to the state department. The actual form of words used in the diplomatic cables is written by the state department but a US official confirmed tonight that the original directives are written by the "intelligence community".

The US has been keen to stress that its diplomats are not acting as spies, a label that could endanger their lives.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/de ... ed-nations

Now why would those he-roes at wikileaks want to give out the false impression that the State Dept. was a nest of spies? Maybe wikileaks is yet another toxic asset of the Bush-Cheney "national security" apparatus i.e. permanent war department?
lupercal

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: UK Guardian: CIA drew up UN spying wishlist for diplomat

Postby lupercal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:43 am

...and speaking of intel assets, here's Assange to the Belfast Telegraph last July:

What about 9/11? "I'm constantly annoyed that people are distracted by false conspiracies such as 9/11, when all around we provide evidence of real conspiracies, for war or mass financial fraud."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifes ... 80073.html

So there are good conspiracies like cherry-picked state dept. cables and "false conspiracies" like 911, check.
lupercal

Postby lupercal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:38 am

Here it comes, right on schedule, as predictably as a bowel movement:

Obama should resign if approved UN spying: WikiLeaks founder

(AFP) – 8 hours ago

MADRID — President Barack Obama should resign if it can be shown that he approved spying by US diplomatic figures on UN officials, the founder of WikiLeaks said in an interview published Sunday.

"The whole chain of command who was aware of this order, and approved it, must resign if the US is to be seen to be a credible nation that obeys the rule of law. The order is so serious it may well have been put to the president for approval," Julian Assange told Spanish daily El Pais.

"Obama must answer what he knew about this illegal order and when. If he refuses to answer or there is evidence he approved of these actions, he must resign," he added during an Internet chat interview published online.

WikiLeaks threw US diplomacy into chaos when it started releasing more than 250,000 classified State Department cables on November 28, creating an international firestorm as American diplomats' private assessments of foreign leaders and politics have been publicly aired.

According to one of the documents, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asked for UN personnel's telephones, emails, credit card details and frequent flier numbers.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 6c031b.dc1

So when does albino boy get his own show on FOX?
lupercal

Postby Nordic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:44 am

lupercal wrote:Here it comes, right on schedule, as predictably as a bowel movement:

Obama should resign if approved UN spying: WikiLeaks founder

(AFP) – 8 hours ago

MADRID — President Barack Obama should resign if it can be shown that he approved spying by US diplomatic figures on UN officials, the founder of WikiLeaks said in an interview published Sunday.

"The whole chain of command who was aware of this order, and approved it, must resign if the US is to be seen to be a credible nation that obeys the rule of law. The order is so serious it may well have been put to the president for approval," Julian Assange told Spanish daily El Pais.

"Obama must answer what he knew about this illegal order and when. If he refuses to answer or there is evidence he approved of these actions, he must resign," he added during an Internet chat interview published online.

WikiLeaks threw US diplomacy into chaos when it started releasing more than 250,000 classified State Department cables on November 28, creating an international firestorm as American diplomats' private assessments of foreign leaders and politics have been publicly aired.

According to one of the documents, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asked for UN personnel's telephones, emails, credit card details and frequent flier numbers.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 6c031b.dc1

So when does albino boy get his own show on FOX?

Wait, are you one of those people who believes that anyone who criticizes Obama is a Fox News wannabe, or fan?

Well then add me to the list.

Hell, add just about every independent-thinking liberal minded person out there.

Or am I completely missing your point?

I mean, let's face it, they should all resign in shame.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby lupercal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 am

^ Get back to me when he drops a dime on W, Dick or Rummy.
lupercal

Postby StarmanSkye » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 am

I heartily concur, they should ALL resign in shame -- for accomodating the unconstituional abuse of power as well for backing completely unprovoked wars based on spurious, misleading lies, and/or not holding the criminal warmongers and financial terrorists who have plundered the public treasury and precipitated a global economic crisis accountable. There's plenty of shame to go around ...
StarmanSkye

Postby lupercal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:24 am

And what heroic fugitive can fight the good fight without a nice Swiss bank account to launder those spook paychecks through?

WikiLeaks Founder Assange Sets Up Swiss Account, Tribune de Geneve Reports
By Tom Mulier - Dec 5, 2010 11:11 PM GMT-0800

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange opened an account with Switzerland’s PostFinance in Geneva, Tribune de Geneve said, citing Marc Andrey, a spokesman for the banking unit of the Swiss Post.

An account would require an address in the Swiss canton, the newspaper said. PostFinance is verifying the information Assange gave to set up the account, because it investigates if it has any doubts about clients’ home addresses, Andrey told the newspaper.

Assange mentioned the account on the Internet, so it’s no longer confidential, Andrey said, according to Tribune de Geneve.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-0 ... -says.html
O brave little albino!
:lovehearts: :lovehearts: :lovehearts: :lovehearts:
lupercal

Postby 82_28 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:15 am

This is all such a crock of shit. The whole dog and pony show, all of it, a total crock of shit. I don't give a fuck whether Assange is legitimately anti-war or whatever the fuck he is. He's playing the part of Dr. Evil, period, full stop. Even if HE HIMSELF isn't doing it, he has allowed himself to be used that way, which is just as bad. I ain't got no money to jet around the world and evade Interpol. I'm right here.

Assange has all the neato phenotypic and quasi disguises we've seen so often in movies of some kind of "super mind" that nobody can really understand. He lurks in the shadows. He somehow eludes all "law". He's fighting for freedom. He's fighting to free the information from the empire. Fuckin' spare me.

If you're anti-war, if you've been playing along as well, we all fucking know what the fuck happens in these goddamn wars, in this goddamn empire, as, as I have said, Chris Floyd pointed out months and months ago. We know, we get it, it ain't no thang. They're telling us what we're not "supposed" to hear in order to make what we're not "supposed" to hear commonplace enough that, oops, it goes and gets somebody killed or "a US city gets nuked off the map" or some shit. Thus, we shouldn't be hearing anything. This is motherfucking serious business you idiot civilians. Thus, I still withhold total judgment, but this is just another volley in the attack on the freedom to communicate without their mediation.

It's kind of akin to, if you will excuse me making an analogy, to a sudden and devastating earthquake vs the "slow earthquake" that went on up here in the PNW a couple of years ago. Just as forceful, but slow, undetectable on the ground. Assange as a figure, wikileaks as a medium is what airplanes were to WTC which happened with great worldwide shock. (For purposes of argument, I am not getting into CD here -- just the shock)

I don't have any idea what these government, deep state ass motherfuckers do on a regular basis, how they hold it all together, but they do. They certainly persevere. So, what the fuck is it, once we get down to that very last kernel, the place where it all originates, are they trying to protect? Why did they think that throwing all kinds of money into conservative mega-churches 15 years ago would work? In the last year I can't find any of those used up idiots on TV anymore. What happened to their goddamn CBN, TBNs and shit? Where the fuck did those fucking crazy ass 3 foot high bangs bitches go and their husbands who just chill and preach the truth? Where are those UHF channels one could get all staticky and grainy and shit filled to the gills with this kind of schlock?

I'll tell you what happened. The old folks who sat around and worried and stewed and thought this country was going to hell -- it ain't pretty -- but they're all dead. They killed off an entire generational demographic, bled them dry and then moved on to the next fucking psy-op which was being cool as fuck with tattoos, rock. No motherfucking big church in this land doesn't have some fucking rock/soul band that doesn't sit there like fools to the slaughter behind the all important ego that professes to preach the gospel as he prowls up and down the stage like a caged tiger. Not a one. The days of the pipe organ are over unless it happens to be Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

So what am I saying?

I am saying this is probably of the same function as the old time UHF religious channels and shit once were.

My mom, thought all that shit was schlock back in the day. But she thinks there very well "could be something to these wikileaks". Doesn't quite understand what it is or how it happens. Can't even figure out what makes gmail different than "regular email". But do you see what Bush did to us!!!

Exactly. Confusion. A move on the open nature of the Internet by PROVING just how open it is and thus how DANGEROUS it is. Somebody needs to take control. Obviously this is not Obama. So I'm just gonna wait and see who decides to run in 2012. --That's somebody speaking as my mom BTW. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby lupercal » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:23 am

82_28 wrote:This is all such a crock of shit. The whole dog and pony show, all of it, a total crock of shit.

Bingo. And the rest is right on. The guy's a little RW prick being used, no doubt willingly, for all kinds of disgusting purposes, not least of which is giving Obama the Tiger-OJ treatment, and that alone makes me want to vomit. Whatever Obama is he doesn't deserve that and a hearty fuck you to every stooge hopping on that racist bandwagon, wittingly or not.
lupercal

Postby Montag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:34 am

82_28 wrote:This is all such a crock of shit. The whole dog and pony show, all of it, a total crock of shit. I don't give a fuck whether Assange is legitimately anti-war or whatever the fuck he is. He's playing the part of Dr. Evil, period, full stop. Even if HE HIMSELF isn't doing it, he has allowed himself to be used that way, which is just as bad. I ain't got no money to jet around the world and evade Interpol. I'm right here.

Assange has all the neato phenotypic and quasi disguises we've seen so often in movies of some kind of "super mind" that nobody can really understand. He lurks in the shadows. He somehow eludes all "law". He's fighting for freedom. He's fighting to free the information from the empire. Fuckin' spare me.

I know, you know, what would be fun, Assange should resign his post (and go back to The Great White Brotherhood or something), and they should get like those Shining girls to replace him as the Wikileaks spokespersons. What could be more surreal and more of a sideshow than what we've already got? Just trying to think outside the box here, to replicate something close to what we're seeing.

These Goldstein-esque characters, majorly put my bs detector up as to whether or not they are who they appear to be on the surface level.
Montag

Return to General Discussion