The End of Cheap Oil

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The End of Cheap Oil

Postby crisisofcivilization » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:49 am

Hi
Please see the below link for an article by Dr Nafeez Ahmed regarding Peak Oil
http://crisisofcivilization.com/2011/01/04/the-end-of-cheap-oil/

There are many other articles regarding Energy depletion on our Learning Machine

Enjoy!
Marie-Louise Almond
Assistant Producer The Crisis of Civilization
Watch the trailer here:http://crisisofcivilization.com/trailer/
crisisofcivilization

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The End of Cheap Oil

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

A lot of what we do here is try to connect the dots. It's easy to get so focused on a particular issue that you lose sight of how it is all interconnected and various crises are all interrelated and converging toward one big perfect shit storm. Nafeez is right to try to sketch the bigger picture and help people see that climate, ecology, energy, economy, governance, war/violence are all interrelated. I'm assuming such things have been known for decades within certain circles of power. How could it be otherwise? I mean how hard is it to understand that the earth is a finite place and human civilization cannot continue on a program of unregulated growth (trans: trashing the planet as quickly as possible) without consequences?

The great contraction is unavoidable. The species is headed toward a bottleneck. The only issue is whether we will be able to squeeze through it and survive as a species or not. Preparations made now might tip the balance in favor of survival and might succeed in laying the groundwork for a sane way of life on the other side.

The subfora here don't get a lot of traffic, but you'll get a trickle of clickthru.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Stephen Morgan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:33 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:The great contraction is unavoidable.

Bullshit. The world is full of potentially productive land laid fallow by disadvantageous economic regimes, the sun, rain and the heat at the centre of the earth provide an easily tapped and functionally infinite source of energy. Not to say that a great contraction WON'T happen, only that it needn't.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:
brainpanhandler wrote:The great contraction is unavoidable.

Bullshit. The world is full of potentially productive land laid fallow by disadvantageous economic regimes, the sun, rain and the heat at the centre of the earth provide an easily tapped and functionally infinite source of energy. Not to say that a great contraction WON'T happen, only that it needn't.

Rain is "an easily tapped and functionally infinite source of energy"?

If we were having this conversation 3 decades ago then you might be justified in calling bullshit.

"Not to say that a great contraction WON'T happen, only that it needn't."

Perhaps, but the mere fact that peak oil and the effects it would have on modern industrial economies has been understood by those that could have done something about it 3 decades ago suggests to me that the game plan was to squeeze as much wealth out of the current way of life as possible, for as long as possible, and allow the consequences to fall on succeeding generations. It's not like the ptb did not see this coming. They may pay scientific hacks to spread disinfo, but they don't believe it themselves. The monied oligarchy may be rapacious, remorseless, sociopaths, but they're not stupid.

Climate change, peak oil = war, famine, massive poverty. I think at this point these forces have a momentum of their own and even the good intentions and hard work of hundreds of millions of human beings would not be enough to stop it.

If the thought that maybe it's not such a bad thing that this whole monstrous way of life cease by one means or another crosses my mind, then what are the ptb thinking? It seems obvious enough to me that they see most human beings as useless eaters that lost in the game of life. So what are they going to do to avert catastrophe when anything they might do would disadvantage them? Answer: nothing. In fact, it seems to me that the ptb are intent on hastening the process.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I don't think so.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:Rain is "an easily tapped and functionally infinite source of energy"?

Combined with solar and geothermal, micro-hydro which is fuelled by rain is capable of providing more energy than we can ever use.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Monk » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Center of the earth....he he he he he

:partydance:
Monk

Postby wintler2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm

OPEC Output Down as Libyan Loss Tops Saudi Gain
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries’ crude output dropped in March as increases from Saudi Arabia failed to make up for a decline in Libyan production to a 49-year low, a Bloomberg News survey showed.

Production slipped 363,000 barrels, or 1.2 percent, to an average 29.022 million barrels a day, the lowest level since September, according to the survey of oil companies, producers and analysts. Daily output by members with quotas, all except Iraq, decreased 353,000 barrels to 26.437 million, 1.592 million above their target.

Crude oil for May delivery rose $2.45, or 2.4 percent, to $106.72 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, the highest settlement since Sept. 26, 2008. Brent oil for May settlement climbed $2.23, or 1.9 percent, to $117.36 a barrel on the London-based ICE Futures Europe exchange. The European benchmark reached $119.79 on Feb. 24, the highest intraday price since Aug. 22, 2008. ..

And this despite Saudi promises to make up all of any shortfall from Libya.

Another round of demand destruction, here we come. Interesting how todays prices are not far behind those in 2008 that triggered the GFC (but don't tell the kids/MSM), yet very little fuss. Way to boil a frog!

--

Stephen Morgan wrote:The world is full of potentially productive land laid fallow by disadvantageous economic regimes, the sun, rain and the heat at the centre of the earth provide an easily tapped and functionally infinite source of energy.
:roll: Says a man on a small island of 50 million that hasn't supported itself in centuries. I look forward to your thread on the subject.
"Wintler2, you are a disgusting example of a human being, the worst kind in existence on God's Earth. This is not just my personal judgement.." BenD

Research question: are all god botherers authoritarians?
wintler2

Return to Energy Issues