Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

School-Shootings Thread

Postby elfismiles » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 am

SEE ALSO: School Shooting PsyOp Drills Thread
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24732

elfismiles wrote:Martinsville Shooting
Friday, March 25, 2011

http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2011/ ... oting.html

Do we have a separate thread for school shootings?

Gunman opens fire in Brazilian school, 13 dead
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Gu ... FklJw.cspx
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: School-Shootings Thread

Postby elfismiles » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Suspect in Alabama college shooting surrenders to media‎
AHN | All Headline News
- 1 hour ago

One of the four victims is believed to be the gunman's wife.

A man suspected of killing one person and injuring three others in Alabama surrendered to the media Wednesday night.

According to WSFA television, Thomas Franklin May III approached its crew hours after he is believed to have opened fire on a group of people in a minivan. The 34-year-old was promptly arrested by police.

The Southern Union State Community College said the shooting took place in the parking lot of its Opelika campus, which was closed overnight after the attack. "The College's Nursing and Paramedic faculty responded immediately to assist those who were injured," the school said.

One victim was a middle aged woman who was pronounced dead at the scene. A 36-year-old and a 93-year-old suffered gunshot wounds, and a 4-year-old was cut by broken glass.

No identities for the victims have been released but one of them is believed to be the gunman's wife.

The Opelika-Auburn News cited Police Chief Tommy Mangham as saying the attack was a domestic incident unrelated to the college, involving an attack against one individual.

May has been charged with one count of capital murder and two counts of attempted murder.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/briefs/a ... to%20media

elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:49 pm

elfismiles wrote:Gunman opens fire in Brazilian school, 13 dead
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Gu ... FklJw.cspx

At least 11 dead in massacre at Rio de Janeiro school
* By Diana Renee
* Thu Apr 07 2011

RIO DE JANEIRO—At least 11 people, mostly children, died Thursday and more that 15 were wounded when an armed man attacked a school in Realengo in the poor suburbs of Rio de Janeiro.

Police initially said that 13 people had died, but Rio de Janeiro’s Health Ministry later lowered the death toll.

According to a preliminary police report, the attacker—a 24-year-old former student at the school—was among the dead after shooting himself in the head. He attacked Tasso da Silveira school, where some 400 students ages 9-14 were in classes.

Police Col. Djalma Beltrami said the killer used two handguns and a lot of ammunition. The suspect left behind a letter, in which he anticipated committing suicide after the attack. Beltrami, however, gave no details of any possible motive.

Beltrami described the letter as “the words of a person who no longer believes in anything, full of sentences that made no sense and references to Islamic fundamentalism.”

Beltrami said the attacker was friendly as he went into the school, chatting with administrators and teachers and asking for permission to address the children. When he reached the third floor of the building, the suspect entered one of the classrooms and started to shoot at students, killing nine girls and one boy.

The attacker apparently committed suicide upon being chased by a police officer who had been called in by a student who managed to escape the building.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff was “in shock” over the killings, government spokesperson Rodrigo Baena Soares said in Brasilia.

“He still had a lot of ammunition in his possession. Had it not been for the arrival of the police officer, the tragedy would have been even worse,” Beltrami said.

Roselane de Oliveira, a sister of the attacker, told Rio de Janeiro radio station Band News that the young man “was very strange.”

“He had no friends, and he spent all his time on the internet,”
she said.

In recent months, she said, he appeared to have got closer to Islam.

Police stressed, however, that there was no concrete evidence that the attack had either a religious or a political motive.

McClatchy-Tribune
http://www.guelphmercury.com/news/world ... iro-school

elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:04 pm

This thread should be renamed School Spree-Killings as there have been attacks that didn't use firearms.

EDIT: changed this thread title since from Mass-Shooters to Spree-Killings since it may include incidents not involving firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sc ... ed_attacks

Austin appears twice on the School-Shooting wiki page but 3 times on the List of School Related Attacks page. The difference being this incident:

* List of school-related attacks

May 18, 1978 Austin, Texas, United States
John Daniel Christian, 13
1 dead
13-year-old honor student John Christian, son of former press secretary under LBJ George Christian, entered an English classroom at Murchison Middle School armed with a .22 caliber rifle. He fatally shot his teacher, 29-year-old Rod Grayson, three times. Christian then fled the school building and dropped the rifle by a bicycle rack, before being wrestled against a fence by gym coach Larry Schirpik. Christian’s attorney, Roy Minton, argued Christian was not guilty by reason of insanity, district attorney Ronnie Earle didn’t object and the case was never tried. Unlike most juveniles of the era, Christian received treatment in a private mental health facility in Dallas his family paid for. [175]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sc ... ed_attacks

In the meantime, here are past RI threads on this subject:

Whatreallyhappened at Columbine? - circa July 2005
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8563

Dunblane inquiry documents released - circa October 2005
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4901

4/20 Columbine II Foiled - circa April 2006
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8566

Still yet another MK ULTRA Columbine Enthusiast - circa April 2006
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8567

Columbine... a francais... - circa September 2006
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1237

Expert predicted 'cluster' of school shootings - circa October 2006
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8764

Amish school shooting - circa October 2006
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8779

On forgiveness, the Amish, and justice - circa October 2006
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8803

Columbine shooter Eric Harris - circa April 2007
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11492

VA. Tech-- a PC liberal/rightwing joint venture? - circa April 2007
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11494

Palast on VATECH shootings - circa April 2007
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11508

VT Shooting - Blame the System (Excellent Alternet Piece) - circa April 2007
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11539

Another university shooting... - circa February 2008
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16180

Northern Illinois U. Gunman 'Had An Interest In Satanism' - circa February 2008
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16298

Alone and in America - circa February 2008
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16383

Epidemic Of 'Mind Control Murders' Plagues U.S.A. - circa August 2008
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19839

Chinese grad student decapitated by knife at Virginia Tech - circa January 2009
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22557

Gunman in Black Combat Gear Kills 10+ at German School - circa March 2009
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23251

School Shooting PsyOp Drills Thread - circa August 2009
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24732

Breaking - First ever female rampage killing? - circa February 2010
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27099

potential spree killer sentenced to join military - circa September 2010
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29346

-=-=-=-

Not Spree-Killing related but Copycat and Suicide Cluster Related:

Interwebs Triggers Teen Suicide Trend - circa January 2008
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15832

Nashville Suicide Child Hijack Scenario? - circa January 2008
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15868

Coleman on Copycat Effect and AI Suicides - circa January 2008
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15789

Breaking: Small Plane Crashes into Austin Building - circa February 2010
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27175

"Upbeat" 14 year old leaps to death in front of classmates - circa January 2011
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30913
Last edited by elfismiles on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elfismiles

Postby 8bitagent » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:58 pm

The most famous school shooting period was 1997-1999, even though there's been a ton since and some famous ones before.
The case that began the Oct 1997 to Columbine April 1999 period was in Pearl Mississippi, a case which even law enforcement believed was occultic in nature. The Columbine case, which as I recall was the biggest event to hit the American psyche(least in the news cycle) since OJ and OKC, was kind of the 9/11 of the late 90's...though thankfully the body count was relatively low compared to all the shots fired and bombs that went off. I'm not too familiar with the theories in that case.

I know you're other thread is about non school mass shootings, but a spree killing could also be applied to a short span like the guy who killed Versace, as well as the DC Sniper case. But these things always come in waves. There was that famous two week period of school/office/workplace shootings, that ended when 5 Amish kids were killed at school. The VT Tech event seemed to trigger as well, a two week period of shooting rampages(including at NASA headquarters) The recent Netherlands and Brazil shootings seem almost sickeningly normal for this sort of pattern.
Strangely, I had no idea guns were legal in The Netherlands.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Okay, this wasn't an INTENTIONAL school shooting but ... I wonder if it could trigger (pardon the pun) similar (aka Copycat) events:

6-year-old brings gun to Texas school, 3 hurt
51 mins ago

HOUSTON – Officials say three students have been injured after a 6-year-old brought a loaded gun to his Houston elementary school that accidentally discharged when it fell out of the child's pocket.

Houston Independent School District Public Information Officer Norm Uhl tells Fox News that none of the injuries appears to be life-threatening.

Officials say Ross Elementary school was placed on lockdown Tuesday.

Images taken from Houston television KPRC's news helicopter show three children being wheeled to ambulances on stretchers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110419/ap_ ... hool_gun_1

elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 pm

8bitagent wrote:The most famous school shooting period was 1997-1999, even though there's been a ton since and some famous ones before.
The case that began the Oct 1997 to Columbine April 1999 period was in Pearl Mississippi, a case which even law enforcement believed was occultic in nature. The Columbine case, which as I recall was the biggest event to hit the American psyche(least in the news cycle) since OJ and OKC, was kind of the 9/11 of the late 90's...though thankfully the body count was relatively low compared to all the shots fired and bombs that went off. I'm not too familiar with the theories in that case.

I know you're other thread is about non school mass shootings, but a spree killing could also be applied to a short span like the guy who killed Versace, as well as the DC Sniper case. But these things always come in waves. There was that famous two week period of school/office/workplace shootings, that ended when 5 Amish kids were killed at school. The VT Tech event seemed to trigger as well, a two week period of shooting rampages(including at NASA headquarters) The recent Netherlands and Brazil shootings seem almost sickeningly normal for this sort of pattern.
Strangely, I had no idea guns were legal in The Netherlands

Hi 8bit (when logging in just now I accidentally typed my username as elf8) ...

Yeah, while I was scouring the RI forum for the indexing I came across a number of cases that seemed more like Serial Killings than Spree Killings. To my mind, Spree Killings are a subset of Mass Killings and Serial Killings a subset of Mass Killings. There was a thread I skipped dealing with a couple who had been stalking and killing either other couples and/or "Virgins" or somesuch. This sort of uncertainty about this or that event (string of events) etc can be confusing - take for instance that other Austin school shooting I mentioned which is listed on the wikipedia page for School Attacks but not School Shootings. One the one hand the school shootings are considered to be Rage / Spree events in the since that multiple targets are intended but in the case I cited the shooter seemed to be targeting a specific person, a teacher. You can also look at the school shootings as just a varient of the "Work Place Violence / Shootings" in so much as if the shooter was a student he is "going off" at his place of work. Though in the case of targeting of the teacher, well, the teacher is employed at the school and so it is still a "workplace shooting". :shrug:
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 pm

É necessário atenção aos sinais de agressividade entre jovens
viewtopic.php?p=397467#p397467

Southwest Plaza Mall bomb suspect Earl Albert Moore captured at a King Soopers in Boulder (Video)

BOULDER - Authorities say the Southwest Plaza Mall attempted bombing suspect, Earl Albert Moore, is in custody.

9Wants To Know has learned that Moore was captured Tuesday morning outside of a King Soopers at 3600 Table Mesa Drive in Boulder.

According to Boulder Police spokeswoman Kim Kobel, police first figured out he was in the grocery because of a 911 call.

9Wants to Know has learned Moore was sitting inside the café area in the store when a shopper alerted a manager to a person matching the attempted bomber's description. The shopper left the store and called 911, and two officers in separate cars showed up. The manager pointed out the suspect to the officer.

When the suspect started to leave store, another officer outside saw Moore leaving and pulled in front of him in his police car. The officer ordered Moore to the ground, handcuffed him and arrested without having to draw his gun.

Several officers and detectives from the Boulder Police Department searched the King Soopers strip mall area to make sure the area was clear. There was nothing suspicious found.

Moore was taken to the Jefferson County Jail in Golden.

FBI was searching nationwide for 65-year-old Moore in connection with the attempted bombing of the mall on April 20.

Two former FBI experts predicted on Monday it wouldn't be much longer before Moore was captured.

Clint Van Zandt, a former FBI profiler, said Moore was "probably one of America's most wanted men."

Bob Pence, former FBI Special Agent in Charge of Denver, said Moore's face and distinctive tattoos were widely publicized and recognizable.

"It's hard to believe he'll be in fugitive status for more than a few days," Van Zandt said Monday.

9Wants to Know recently learned Moore was released from federal prison on April 13 for a 2005 bank robbery in the southern district West Virginia. It is unknown which federal prison he was being held at. Moore was sentenced to 18 years for that robbery, but his time was shortened after he helped prosecutors investigate another case.

The suspect most recently came from South Carolina, a federal law enforcement source told 9Wants To Know.

Investigators say two propane tanks and a pipe bomb were found at the heart of the fire in Southwest Plaza Mall on April 20. The FBI is investigating the incident.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/19535 ... in-custody

elfismiles

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue May 27, 2014 10:58 am

bump

Mass Shooting in California
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38124
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:33 pm

http://www.kptv.com/story/25739525/acti ... start=true

TROUTDALE, OR (KPTV) -

A gunman entered Reynolds High School and killed a student on Tuesday morning, and Troutdale police confirmed the gunman himself is also dead.

Several law enforcement agencies responded to reports of an active shooter at the school in Troutdale at 8:07 a.m. Police officers and tactical teams then evacuated the school of all students and staff.

Though the situation is "stabilized," according to the sheriff's office, the lockdown persists and it will take at least two hours to search and clear the school.

The wife of a vice principal at Reynolds High School said she first received a text message from her husband that said there was an active shooter and the school was in lockdown.

There's no word yet on the gunman's motive, and police haven't said whether he is a student at the school.

"This is a tragic day, one I hoped that would never, ever be part of my experience," said Superintendent Linda Florence.

Parents were told to meet students at the Wood Village Fred Meyer located at Northeast 223rd Avenue and Glisan Street. Everyone else is asked to stay away from the area.

As news of the shooting spread, public figures started sending out statements expressing their condolences.

Governor John Kitzhaber sent out a tweet that read, "My thoughts and prayers are with students, staff and the Reynolds High School community during this difficult time."

Portland mayor Charlie Hales issued a statement on Facebook, saying, "There are no words to fully express our sorrow over the shootings at Reynolds High School. We want the students, the parents and the educators -- in fact, the whole community -- to know that they are in our hearts and prayers today."

Reynolds High School is located at 1698 SW Cherry Park Road in Troutdale, which is a suburb of Portland.

Wednesday is the last day of school at Reynolds High. Graduation is planned for Thursday.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:57 pm

I fear the immediate future ...

Loren Coleman @CryptoLoren

Plan accordingly. This forthcoming Friday the 13th is also a Full Moon – Jun 13, 2014 – 4:14 (GMT). Humans will be impacted by tidal forces.

https://twitter.com/CryptoLoren/status/ ... 1840084992

Troutdale High School Shooting
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2014/ ... tdale.html

Pele'sDaughter » 10 Jun 2014 18:33 wrote:http://www.kptv.com/story/25739525/active-shooter-situation-at-reynolds-high-school?autostart=true

TROUTDALE, OR (KPTV) -
elfismiles

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Maybe School Shootings should have its very own category on RI.
Asta

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:23 pm

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.mayorsagain ... Report.pdf

At least 44 school shootings since Newtown — new analysis
By Valerie Strauss
February 13 at 12:09 am

AFP PHOTO / Saul LOEBSAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images

Twenty-six candles were lit on Dec. 14, 2013 by President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, to honor the 26 students and teachers killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, the year before. (AFP PHOTO / Saul LOEBSAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)

There have been at least 44 school shootings on K-12 or college campuses in 24 states — an average of more than three a month — since the deadly 2012 attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., according to a new analysis. Twenty-eight people have died and 37 have been injured.

Twenty children and six adults working at Sandy Hook were killed in the December 2012 assault in Newtown, leading to renewed calls around the nation for Congress to take action to prevent more gun violence. Legislators did nothing. Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, which did the analysis along with the national organization called Mayors Against Illegal Guns, said in a statement:

“Parents in communities across the country live in fear. An estimated 90 percent of school districts have tightened security since Newtown – installing metal detectors, surveillance cameras, and bullet-proof glass. Schools now routinely have lockdown drills reminiscent of Cold War air raid drills.”

Mayors Against Illegal Guns was co-founded in 2005 by then New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and then Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

The analysis says:

*In the fourteen months since the mass shooting in Newtown, CT, there have been at least 44 school shootings including fatal and nonfatal assaults, suicides, and unintentional shootings — an average of more than three a month. In the first six weeks of 2014 alone, there were 13 school shootings including one eight-day period in which there were four shootings in K-12 schools.

*These school shootings resulted in 28 deaths and 37 non-fatal gunshot injuries. In 49 percent of these incidents at least one person died.

*Of the K-12 school shootings in which the shooter’s age was known, 70 percent (20 of 28 incidents) were perpetrated by minors. Among those shootings where it was possible to determine the source of the firearm, three-quarters of the shooters obtained their guns from home.

*In 16 cases — more than a third of all incidents — at least one person was shot after a schoolyard argument or confrontation escalated and a gun was at hand.

*The shooters ranged from 5 to 53 years of age.

* The 44 school shootings occurred in 24 states across the country. Sixty-four percent of the shootings took place at K-12 schools and thirty-six percent took place on college or university campuses.

*Thirty-three shootings (75 percent) involved an assault or homicide; of these, 12 incidents resulted in at least one homicide. In 11 incidents, the shooter attempted or completed suicide — in 4 incidents after shooting someone else. In 4 other incidents, no one was injured.

*Many of the students who perpetrated these shootings had easy access to guns at home. In several cases, investigators declined to comment on how the child obtained a firearm because the incidents are under active investigation. But in the eight incidents where the source of the firearm was known, three-quarters of the shooters used a gun they obtained from home. This includes three cases where a minor used a gun to attempt or complete suicide in his school.

shootings1 graphic

list1 of shootings

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ans ... -analysis/
elfismiles

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:49 am

Some questions from Naomi Wolf about law enforcement's handling of the Oregon school shooting:

Naomi Wolf wrote:To be super clear -- I am not asking questions about whether this event and other like it happened. I am calling attention to anomalies in handling -- changes in processing these crises. I keep seeing prosecutors RELEASING DETAILED JOURNALS such as in this case and in the California case -- and RELEASING MEDICAL RECORDS even when the accused (as here) is still alive. This gives a handy anti-second-amendment 'why' to news stories. BUT...aren't medical records covered by HIPAA laws in the US, meaning you CAN'T release them? I could not get the medical records of a prisoner who died in Guantanamo, upon my having submitted a Freedom of Information Act request - the authorities cited their reason as protecting his 'privacy' -- also note -- the kids here were brought out of 'lockdown' with their HANDS BEHIND THEIR HEADS. In other words, there is a continual escalation in the militarization of HOW CIVILIAN POPULATIONS ARE BEING HANDLED during a crisis. I say again: I spent years growing up in Israel where terrorist attacks on schools etc were common and standard practice was to keep everything as normal as possible and to GET EVERYONE OUT OF THERE -- not send out buzzwords like 'shelter in place' and 'lockdown.' I really, really do not like these trends. Again to be super clear: I am calling into question a CHANGE IN HANDLING of crises, not questioning whether the event took place. Though as always a good vet of reported facts is in order. See my blog on naomiwolf.org on the attack on the second amendment with the wave of new bills found by DailyCloudt.com to curtail gun rights...

Naomi Wolf wrote:'An assistant principle told students to go into 'lockdown' mode.' WTF is that? when did 'lockdown' become the new normal? We have had reports of kids being trained to do this in schools with a 'shooter' scenario...and when I take Amtrak there is a crazy horror-film video that keeps getting scarier about what to do on the train when a 'shooter' arrives...I am not saying there are no 'shooters' in America but as with terrorism...if people have started to wake up to the hype around the 'terror' meme, does it not make sense that incidents of 'shooters' will become the new excuse for mass civilian fearmongering on a city- or region-wide scale, and an excuse to arm the government (see the New York Times this week) and disarm citizens? Not that I like guns...I just like the Constitution.http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/justice/o ... -shooting/

Naomi Wolf wrote:I don't get how it is okay for the prosecutor to make the journal of the accused public...does the family not receive the effects? If there is no trial, is this document part of the public record? I mean the kid is dead but we don't KNOW yet (no investigation) he was the murderer -- 'likely killed himself', see below; but he could have been killed...witness statements have not yet been collected and analyzed -- this JUST HAPPENED! so...why is the prosecutor releasing a COMPLETE NARRATIVE from private diaries that keep popping up in so many of these situation, giving full details of motives...without any investigation or prior to any investigation? I am not saying this did not happen. I am saying that normal police procedures would cordon off the area as a crime scene and ANALYZE IT as well as interview the witnesses. Cops, detectives, in our community here, please chime in. Am I right or wrong here? http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/na ... 360.php#/0

Quick aside: what is Naomi Wolf's assessment of Zinn's critique of the constitution?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:07 am

Variation on this theme at HuffPo says 74! shootings since Newtown...

All 74 School Shootings Since Newtown, In One Depressing Map
Posted: 06/10/2014 3:00 pm EDT Updated: 15 minutes ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/1 ... mg00000013

elfismiles » 10 Jun 2014 20:23 wrote:https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/images/SchoolShootingsReport.pdf

At least 44 school shootings since Newtown — new analysis
By Valerie Strauss
February 13 at 12:09 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ans ... -analysis/
elfismiles

Next

Return to General Discussion