Iceland's most active volcano erupting

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Iceland's most active volcano erupting

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat May 21, 2011 9:41 pm

AP Photo 3 hours ago
In this image taken from amateur video, smoke from the Grimsvotn volcano, Iceland is seen from a plane Saturday, May 21, 2011. Iceland's most active volcano has started erupting, scientists said Saturday, just over a year after another eruption on the North Atlantic island shut down European air traffic for days, but the impact of this volcanic eruption is not yet known.
Iceland's most active volcano erupting: reports
English.news.cn 2011-05-22 06:12:16 FeedbackPrintRSS

Smoke rises from the Grimsvotn volcano, Saturday, May 21, 2011 in Reykjavik, Iceland. Iceland's most active volcano has started erupting, scientists said Saturday - just over a year after another eruption on the North Atlantic island shut down European air traffic for days. (Xinhua/AFP Photo)

STOCKHOLM, May 21 (Xinhua) -- An eruption has started in Iceland's most active volcano Grimsvotn, according to reports reaching here from Reykjavik on Saturday.

The smoke from the eruption can be seen from many places in south Iceland, Iceland's television channel RUV said in a report.

Iceland's Meteorological Office also confirmed that an eruption had begun in Grimsvotn.

"All indications are that an eruption will start in this area," Icelandic geologist Hjorleifur Sveinbjornsson was quoted as saying earlier on Saturday by the local media.

But scientists in Iceland believed that the new eruption in Grimsvotn could be small and would not lead to a repeat of the air travel chaos in Europe one year ago, which was caused by ashes from the Eyjafjallajokul volcano's eruption.

Located in the middle of the Vatnajokull glacier, Grimsvotn is the most active volcano in Iceland, with major eruptions recorded in 1922, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1945, 1954, 1983, 1998 and 2004. Most of the eruptions lasted one to three weeks.

Smoke rises from the Grimsvotn volcano, Saturday, May 21, 2011 in Reykjavik, Iceland. Iceland's most active volcano has started erupting, scientists said Saturday _ just over a year after another eruption on the North Atlantic island shut down European air traffic for days. Iceland's Meteorological Office confirmed that an eruption had begun at the Grimsvotn volcano, accompanied by a series of small earthquakes.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Iceland's most active volcano erupting

Postby 82_28 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:35 pm

I think it's really come to the point to just sit back and enjoy the ride. There's just too much.

Is it that we're all wired up now and news gets out quicker and in greater abundance? But this planet is in a mess. Yet, "a mess" means reality is presaged by an optimal state. But that's not the case either.

I think we're fine and I think we carry on until we die. Riggies Ho! Whatever the fuck that means.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat May 21, 2011 11:12 pm

...but the impact of this volcanic eruption is not yet known.

I hope the guy who wrote that got a kick of how fucking pointless it was. Bad journalism is a gorgeous artform.

82_28 wrote:I think it's really come to the point to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

....was there some other plan?
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:57 am

Everything takes some getting used to. But when it all dawns on you, it's not that big a deal. It's just the deal. You deal with it. Shit's just adding up in all facets of everything.

Good to see you again, dick. :wink
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Icelandic volcano ash could enter UK airspace, forecasters warn

Britain may be at risk as early as Tuesday, although the impact is not expected to be as great as it was in April 2011

Adam Gabbatt
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 22 May 2011

Ash from an erupting Icelandic volcano that has already grounded planes locally could enter UK airspace by Tuesday, forecasters have warned.

The Grimsvotn volcano began erupting on Sunday, causing flights to be cancelled at Iceland's main Keflavik airport after it sent a plume of ash smoke and steam 12 miles into the air.

However experts said the eruption was unlikely to have the dramatic impact that the Eyjafjallajökull volcano had in April last year, when flights were cancelled over the UK and much of Europe for several days.

Paul Mott, forecaster at Meteogroup, said ash from the volcano could potentially reach the UK by Tuesday.

"Both the upper level and lower level winds will be becoming north-westerly through Monday and Tuesday as well, so between Iceland and Scotland there'll be northwesterlies," he said last night.

"So certainly any ash plume could potentially move from Iceland towards northern Scotland. I think that risk does increase through tomorrow night and into Tuesday."

Mott said that ash was "fairly unlikely over southern Scotland or anywhere south of that", although the Met Office said it was too early to rule out ash entering other parts of Britain.

"At the moment if the volcano continues to erupt to the same level it has been, and is now, the UK could be at risk of seeing volcanic ash later this week," said Helen Chivers, Met Office spokeswoman. "Quite when and how much we can't really define at the moment."

Chivers said the weather situation is set to be different to last year, with the wind direction set to change continuously.

She added: "If it moves in the way that we're currently looking, with the eruption continuing the way it is, then if the UK is at risk later this week, then France and Spain could be as well."

While the ash has grounded aircraft in Iceland, it is not anticipated that it will have a similar impact in the rest of Europe.

Dr Dave McGarvie, volcanologist at the Open University, said that the amount of ash reaching the UK "is likely to be less than in the 2010 Eyjafjallajökull eruption", and said the last two times Grimsvotn erupted it did not affect UK air travel.

"In addition, the experience gained from the 2010 eruption, especially by the Met Office, the airline industry, and the engine manufacturers, should mean less disruption to travellers."

The April eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, in south-east Iceland, caused the worst disruption to international air travel since 9/11. Flights across Europe were cancelled for six-days stranding tens of thousands of people and was estimated to have cost airlines £130m a day.

Eurocontrol, the Europe-wide air traffic control network, said in a statement: "There is currently no impact on European or transatlantic flights and the situation is expected to remain so for the next 24 hours. Aircraft operators are constantly being kept informed of the evolving situation."
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby brainpanhandler » Sun May 22, 2011 3:10 pm

82_28 wrote:I think it's really come to the point to just sit back and enjoy the ride. There's just too much.

Idiot.

Is it that we're all wired up now and news gets out quicker and in greater abundance?

Like before the internet or before tv or before radio? Yes. Obviously. What a stupid question.

But this planet is in a mess.

Why but?

Located in the middle of the Vatnajokull glacier, Grimsvotn is the most active volcano in Iceland, with major eruptions recorded in 1922, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1945, 1954, 1983, 1998 and 2004. Most of the eruptions lasted one to three weeks.

Volcanic eruptions are a natural process.

Yet, "a mess" means reality is presaged by an optimal state.

So, an "optimal state" is a harbinger of reality because the planet is a mess? What is an optimal state? An optimal state of what? Did you even know the definiton of presaged? Do you just write stupid shit with no sense of the meaning you wish to impart?

But that's not the case either.

Well, then what are you saying, dumbass?

I think we're fine and I think we carry on until we die.

Well now there's an insight. Let's enshrine that in the Original RI quotes only thread.

Riggies Ho!

Please, please don't ever refer to us as "riggies" again. OK?

Whatever the fuck that means.

Yes. You can just write this after everything you say here and save me the trouble.

Now, would you stfu and stop spamming the board with your stupid comments.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun May 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Damn, BPH, you got some hate in them veins. Get outside and purge some shit, Jesus Fuck. Breathe.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Nordic » Sun May 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Yeah, BPH, I second WR on that. "You seem like a very angry person".
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby brainpanhandler » Sun May 22, 2011 7:22 pm

@wombat, the problem with having a buger hanging out of your nose is that you can't see it. I'm doing him a favor.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Rory » Sun May 22, 2011 8:10 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:@wombat, the problem with having a buger hanging out of your nose is that you can't see it. I'm doing him a favor.

It's not what you say, it's the way you say it.
Rory

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun May 22, 2011 8:12 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:@wombat, the problem with having a buger hanging out of your nose is that you can't see it. I'm doing him a favor.

Being a buger must have it's draw backs, brainpanhandler? I mean having one on one's nose at least ya can flick it off, being one you're kinda stuck with yourself
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Nordic » Sun May 22, 2011 8:13 pm

No, you're not. You're just being nasty and mean.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby brainpanhandler » Sun May 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Yah, yah. Whatever.
brainpanhandler

Postby 82_28 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 pm

This "booger" is for you. The only favor you're doing me is making me sad that some people just have to be the way you are. It's actually really "concerning". I'm not concerned, per se and I'm not gonna pile on. But seriously c'mon. If you're going to "do me a favor", do me a favor, be humane. Condescension only can go so far before it destroys you too. Your shit is so hateful that it makes it beyond bothering me. So just save it for someone else. You're a good person as far as I can see with a number of sticks up their ass. Just save it.
82_28

Postby wintler2 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Rory wrote:It's not what you say, it's the way you say it.

No, sometimes its what you say. If i was to cloak a rationalisation for collaborating in murder in lots of feelgood vibes about how you and i share special knowledge and are different from and better than other people, and sell it in the warmest, most sincere display you've ever seen - does that make the murder okay? what about fearmongering and ignorance-peddling, would that be okay, if i pitched it right?
"Wintler2, you are a disgusting example of a human being, the worst kind in existence on God's Earth. This is not just my personal judgement.." BenD

Research question: are all god botherers authoritarians?
wintler2

Next

Return to FIRE PIT