If lovin' playoff hockey is wrong...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: If lovin' playoff hockey is wrong...

Postby Canadian_watcher » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 am

yep.

I am absolutely NOT shocked at all.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby norton ash » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:10 am

Ahhhh, they're nuts on the west coast. Stupid Vancouver did the same thing when they lost the cup in '94.

You only riot if Rocket Richard is banned from playing (Montreal) or if Alice Cooper cancels a stadium show at 10:30 pm (Tronno.)

I'm going to get RI and suggest there were Harper-sponsored provocateurs there to lever more riot robocops and surveillance for Canadian cities in future.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:32 am

I didn't think Canadians did such things. I'm horribly disillusioned.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Jeff » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:57 am

norton ash wrote:You only riot if Rocket Richard is banned from playing (Montreal) or if Alice Cooper cancels a stadium show at 10:30 pm (Tronno.)

"The worst riot in Toronto rock 'n roll history."

From when John Roberts delivered the real news.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Canadian_watcher » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 am

norton ash wrote:I'm going to get RI and suggest there were Harper-sponsored provocateurs there to lever more riot robocops and surveillance for Canadian cities in future.

I wonder if the Harper-promised defibrilators were in place at the stadium yet..
I must be prejudiced because I want to believe that every single person who rioted voted for the Cons.

edit: Jeff I was just looking at that and thinking the same thing. Oh JD, how low you've whored yourself ....
(for whatever reason every time I think of John Roberts I remember that 'find the hidden diamonds' contest they ran from back in the early 80s... remember that? They had some tuxedo-wearing mascot running all over T.O?)
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Go Big Smoke

Postby annie aronburg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:46 pm

norton ash wrote:I'm going to get RI and suggest there were Harper-sponsored provocateurs there to lever more riot robocops and surveillance for Canadian cities in future.

Interesting to see much of it go down in front of the main post office which went into lockout Wednesday morning.

73 years and four days after Bloody Sunday.
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 pm

An irony in all this occurred to me today. A personal irony. If they convict me of this DUI I'm dealing with, I won't be able to go to Vancouver probably again or anywhere in Canada obviously. Yet, I am one who would never stand for such wanton disregard for others (I'd drank four beers over the course of two hours and was snared by the state patrol) and would have fully stepped in to try and staunch such actions, would have put my neck out there and begged people to be not such drunken idiots. But now, I may never be able to go to Canada again without paying through the nose to do so, because it's so damn "strict". Well, if it's so "strict" then the laws and society are broken there -- just as broken as America, but perhaps unrecognized. While thousands of people are going to get away with what they did last night in a drunken stupor, a stupor you will never find me in, I have become unwelcome in a country that places such great emphasis on law and order and common decency, but exhibits the most indecent behavior I perhaps ever seen about something essentially trivial, a kids game -- hockey. Time to get your shit in order, Canada (I do know most of you do!). I want to return there, would love to live there, but something is gravely wrong with some laws as pertaining to US citizens convicted of DUI, not even a real DUI in the sense of being fucking crazy drunk. And then have this ridiculous outburst happen when everything is thought to be "under control" with said laws? C'mon now.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:03 am

82_28 wrote:An irony in all this occurred to me today. A personal irony. If they convict me of this DUI I'm dealing with, I won't be able to go to Vancouver probably again or anywhere in Canada obviously. Yet, I am one who would never stand for such wanton disregard for others (I'd drank four beers over the course of two hours and was snared by the state patrol) and would have fully stepped in to try and staunch such actions, would have put my neck out there and begged people to be not such drunken idiots. But now, I may never be able to go to Canada again without paying through the nose to do so, because it's so damn "strict". Well, if it's so "strict" then the laws and society are broken there -- just as broken as America, but perhaps unrecognized. While thousands of people are going to get away with what they did last night in a drunken stupor, a stupor you will never find me in, I have become unwelcome in a country that places such great emphasis on law and order and common decency, but exhibits the most indecent behavior I perhaps ever seen about something essentially trivial, a kids game -- hockey. Time to get your shit in order, Canada (I do know most of you do!). I want to return there, would love to live there, but something is gravely wrong with some laws as pertaining to US citizens convicted of DUI, not even a real DUI in the sense of being fucking crazy drunk. And then have this ridiculous outburst happen when everything is thought to be "under control" with said laws? C'mon now.

If you had 4 beers in 2 hours you should be well .08.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:04 am

well under 0.08.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:32 am

I've gotten the DOL part thrown out so far (department of licensing) because of a discrepancy in the machine or something. So no loss of license, blow and go, more expensive insurance. Thanks to this 5.5k lawyer I'm paying for.

I'm not saying I wasn't "buzzed" but I hadn't consumed anything for hours even before that. So it was pure beer in the innards and that's why I was even driving at all -- to get something to eat.

But back to topic. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:40 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:well under 0.08.

I know a person who was convicted (or at least hassled by for a good year) of a .04 and hadn't even been drinking. DUIs are crimes and must be looked at as such. But they are sources of revenue, period at the end of the day.

I was under the 1988 BAC btw. Over .08. Well under the 50's BAC, when a cop would just drive you home. Which essentially puts me at a .1

But again, back to topic. . .
82_28

Postby norton ash » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 am

82_28 wrote:An irony in all this occurred to me today. A personal irony. If they convict me of this DUI I'm dealing with, I won't be able to go to Vancouver probably again or anywhere in Canada obviously. Yet, I am one who would never stand for such wanton disregard for others (I'd drank four beers over the course of two hours and was snared by the state patrol) and would have fully stepped in to try and staunch such actions, would have put my neck out there and begged people to be not such drunken idiots. But now, I may never be able to go to Canada again without paying through the nose to do so, because it's so damn "strict". Well, if it's so "strict" then the laws and society are broken there -- just as broken as America, but perhaps unrecognized. While thousands of people are going to get away with what they did last night in a drunken stupor, a stupor you will never find me in, I have become unwelcome in a country that places such great emphasis on law and order and common decency, but exhibits the most indecent behavior I perhaps ever seen about something essentially trivial, a kids game -- hockey. Time to get your shit in order, Canada (I do know most of you do!). I want to return there, would love to live there, but something is gravely wrong with some laws as pertaining to US citizens convicted of DUI, not even a real DUI in the sense of being fucking crazy drunk. And then have this ridiculous outburst happen when everything is thought to be "under control" with said laws? C'mon now.

You're right, 82-28, we should chip and re-educate all the young men and hockey fans so this sort of thing never happens again.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Feilan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:54 pm

ya don't say? most indecent behaviour over a triviality *ever* ? maybe you should look harder. :bigsmile

it's ironic i guess, in more ways than one including how quickly *we* forget...

On August 12, 1984, during a game between the Atlanta Braves and San Diego Padres that degenerated into a beanball war:
At least five fans were dragged from the field at Atlanta–Fulton County Stadium in handcuffs after participating in a bench-clearing brawl. One of the fans was charged with assault for throwing a full beer mug at the Padres' Kurt Bevacqua, hitting him in the head, as he was returning to the dugout.

The game ended with police riot squads on top of both dugouts in an obvious attempt to keep fans away from the players.
At the end of the same season, violence erupted outside of Tiger Stadium in Detroit after the Detroit Tigers defeated the Padres in the World Series. A well known photo from the riot shows a Tigers fan holding a World Series pennant in front of an overturned burning Detroit Police car.

In June 2000, Los Angeles Lakers fans stormed the streets of Los Angeles after the Lakers victory over the Indiana Pacers in the 2000 NBA Finals. Fans briefly celebrated by starting bonfires, but it soon turned into a riot, with fans dancing and stomping on parked cars, and even turning a news van over.

In October 2004, fans of the Boston Red Sox rioted just outside of Fenway Park after the Red Sox won the American League Championship Series over the New York Yankees. Police used "pepper guns" in some cases and an Emerson College student, Victoria Snelgrove, was killed by a pepper filled paintball-like projectile which hit her in the eye.
On November 19, 2004, near the end of an NBA game between the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons, a brawl erupted between Pacers players and Pistons supporters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_in_sports

Lewis concludes there's a 50 percent chance violence will occur after something like the Super Bowl given five conditions. In addition to championship play, a public gathering place, a team that's not won recently, a close game leading to an exciting win{unanticipated loss} and a celebration{instigation} by {hammered}young men are key factors that could lead to violence. fwiw

send the prime sinister a note about what a happy drunk you are and maybe you'll get a waiver. :farmer:
Many people will sleep for a hundred years, but when they awake, it will be the artists who give them their spirit back. ~ Louis David Riel
Feilan

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Anarchists to blame for Vancouver riots.
He called those who incited the riot "criminals and anarchists" and said officers identified some in the crowd as the same people who smashed windows and caused trouble through the same streets the day after the 2010 Winter Olympics opened.

"These were people who came equipped with masks, goggles and gasoline," he said. "They had a plan."

No they didn't.

BTW The kissing couple - apparantly they are a couple.

That is an awesome image tho. There have been some great, really iconic images from riots this year.
Joe Hillshoist

Who/what is killing the NHL's enforcers/goons?

Postby MinM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Former NHL player Wade Belak was found dead in a Toronto hotel on Wednesday, Sporting News' Craig Custance confirmed following a report by the QMI Agency, a Canadian media outlet.

Belak, 35, retired in March after his 15th season in the NHL. A 6-5, 222-pound enforcer, Belak spent his final three seasons with the Nashville Predators. He also played for the Florida Panthers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames and Colorado Avalanche.

Toronto police haven't released the identity of a body found at the location or the cause of death, according to Sean FitzGerald of the National Post.

Belak would be the third NHL player to die in the past four months.

Derek Boogaard, 28, died in May after an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. Boogaard had just finished his first season with the New York Rangers.

Rick Rypien, 27, was found dead in his home earlier this month. Rypien, who had long battled depression, signed with the Winnipeg Jets in the offseason after several years with the Vancouver Canucks.

-- More on Rypien: Jets GM says Rypien leaves tremendous legacy | Rypien’s death gives depression in hockey a face

Belak was announced among the participants in the next season of "Battle of the Blades," a figure skating competition on Canadian TV.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... found-dead

Another former goon Bob Probert died last summer. On a possibly related note, the Penguins' Sidney Crosby and Marc Savard of the Bruins are contemplating retirement due to concussions.

Earth-704509
MinM

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News