The men who wacked Robert Kennedy

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The men who wacked Robert Kennedy

Postby fruhmenschen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 am

RFK's fellow victim changes life, lives of others
see link for full story

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/0 ... 71407.html

Paul Schrade AP – Paul Schrade poses in the Paul Schrade Library at Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools, Friday, May 20, …
By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent Linda Deutsch, Ap Special Correspondent – Sat Jun 4, 4:57 pm ET
LOS ANGELES – Paul Schrade easily recites the details of the last day of his life before he was shot in the head alongside his friend, Sen. Robert F. Kennedy. He knows it all by heart, every step he took, every sight and sound as if it was yesterday.

In the 43 years Sunday since that transformative night when Schrade came close to losing his life, he has understood the details. But he is shadowed to this day by nagging questions: What really happened that night and who made it happen?

Schrade, at 86, tall, white haired and projecting the vitality of a much younger man, has given the second half of his life over to preserving Kennedy's legacy and trying to unravel the puzzle of his friend's assassination. He believes there was more than one gunman in the pantry of the Ambassador Hotel when he and Kennedy and four others were shot. And he plans to publish his story about what he has learned. For now, he declines to say what that is.

He estimates he has spent a cumulative 10 years chasing clues and he's still at it.

"It's always on my mind," Schrade said. "It has to be. The family is not involved because they can't handle reliving the pain and suffering and they don't want to expose Ethel to it. But I always keep a member of the family informed if we're about to release anything."

But Schrade, who tries to live by the ideals Kennedy espoused, has a lot more to think about than the past.

After sinking into deep depression following the assassination, Schrade found a way to move on by achieving a dream which some thought could never happen, the creation of a complex of public schools dedicated to Kennedy's legacy on the Ambassador Hotel site.

"Talk about the school, not about me," he urged a reporter.

But the two are inevitably intertwined. The recently opened state-of-the-art school library bears a large sign: "Paul Schrade Library," and there is a plaque noting his "23 years of struggle to build the finest living memorial" to Kennedy.

It is a reminder of how the hotel looked the early morning hours of June 5, 1968 when triumph turned to tragedy in seconds.

Schrade remembers the cheers of the crowd and the touch of Kennedy's hand as they mounted a platform before thousands of supporters who helped him win the California Democratic presidential primary.

"He gave me new recognition for everything I had done. He thanked me from the podium and he grabbed my hand. I was the only one he shook hands with on the platform ," Schrade said..
Schrade, then western regional director of the United Auto Workers Union, had been the labor chair of Kennedy's campaign and was at his side at many events including a meeting with farmworker leader Cesar Chavez in rural Delano. On the fateful night, he was waiting with Kennedy to see if he would win the pivotal primary.

"`He knew it was life or death politically that night," says Schrade. "And it became a death."

But first, he said, there was joy as the tide of votes turned and Kennedy's victory seemed assured.

"There was a wonderful spirit upstairs on the fifth floor of the Ambassador Hotel," he said. "I sat with Bob and Ethel. There came a point when the decision was made to go downstairs a little after midnight."

After thanking supporters, Kennedy was diverted from his planned exit to move through the hotel pantry. Schrade remembers him shaking hands with two Hispanic employees of the hotel.

"He turned and then I got hit. I got the first shot," Schrade recalled. "I thought I was being electrocuted. I fell right behind Bob. ... I was in and out of consciousness and when I came to and the doctor arrived, I said, `Take care of the senator.'"

He learned later that the mortally wounded Kennedy asked: "Is everyone all right? Is Paul all right?"

He did not know that Kennedy had been killed until the next day when UAW President Walter Reuther came to his bedside and told him.

"I just turned away," he said. "I was so angry. We should have realized it was going to happen again." In light of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy five years earlier, he thought there should have been more security.

Schrade underwent surgery and some fragments of the bullet remain in his skull.

"It took a long time for me to recover from this," he said. "People told me, `You were so angry, so depressed you weren't on the job."

In fact, he lost his job, suffering defeat for re-election to his UAW post.

In 1971 he met and married political attorney Monica Weil, and the Yale educated Schrade, a native of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., turned in another direction. He joined the board of American Civil Liberties Union and began working with his wife to investigate the RFK assassination and convicted assassin, Sirhan Sirhan. He would become convinced there was a conspiracy.

"I know there was a second gunman based on the evidence," he said. "Sirhan couldn't have done it and didn't do it alone." He came to believe in a larger plot encompassing the assassination of President Kennedy. But he is not ready to discuss the details until his research is complete.

Meanwhile, he has moved on in his mission to carry on Kennedy's work.

He knew Kennedy was passionately committed to education for children from low income families. In 1987, Schrade proposed a school on the 23-acre Ambassador site that sits in a crowded immigrant neighborhood near downtown. The 3,700 students now enrolled are predominantly Hispanic and Korean. Those involved in athletics wear bright red sweatshirts emblazoned with the initials RFK.

Schrade visits the Los Angeles campus frequently to check up on things. Although the Ambassador buildings are gone, the Paul Schrade library, at the spot where the ballroom stood, retains the vaulted ceiling of the original room. Two enormous murals frame the room — one of Kennedy reaching down into a sea of hands, the other of Kennedy breaking bread with Chavez after his historic fast for farmworkers' rights. Students who were too young to know about Kennedy receive a lecture on orientation day explaining the murals and the school's heritage.
If they are lucky, the students may have the chance to meet Schrade, the living embodiment of a chapter in history.

Schrade points with pride to the "Inspiration Park" on the grounds where students can sit on benches and contemplate engraved words from Kennedy and other civic leaders. Near the entrance is a quote from Kennedy which could apply to Schrade's accomplishments.

"Few will have the greatness to bend history but each of us can work to change a small portion
of the events, and in the total of all these acts will be written the history of this generation."
fruhmenschen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The men who wacked Robert Kennedy

Postby Nordic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:42 pm

he's 86 and hasn't released this yet? i hope he gets off his ass soon! :)

i also hope he's got the old backup plan in case he dies "early" (although at 86 you stretch the very idea of dying early).
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby MinM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:18 am

fruhmenschen wrote:RFK's fellow victim changes life, lives of others

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/0 ... 71407.html

He learned later that the mortally wounded Kennedy asked: "Is everyone all right? Is Paul all right?"

He did not know that Kennedy had been killed until the next day when UAW President Walter Reuther came to his bedside and told him...

Walter Reuther would have been 104 years old today. Had he not died in a small plane crash a few years after the RFK Assassination.
Nordic wrote:he's 86 and hasn't released this yet? i hope he gets off his ass soon! :)

i also hope he's got the old backup plan in case he dies "early" (although at 86 you stretch the very idea of dying early).

According to Jim DiEugenio, Paul Schrade is still on the case. :thumbsup001:

Fifty minutes, also touches on it 23:23 into this podcast, DiEugenio describes a recent meeting that he and Schrade had with George DiCaprio, Earl Katz, and Lamar Waldron. In an apparently futile attempt to dissuade the DiCaprios from pushing the Hartmann - Waldron disinfo books.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index ... opic=17845

viewtopic.php?p=367216#p367216

viewtopic.php?p=327582#p327582

Earth-704509
MinM

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:05 pm

my source says Schrade is the only good guy in the bunch.
fruhmenschen

Re: The men who wacked The Enlightenment

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:59 am

The op article conveys misdirection two ways:
> by reinforcing the false assertion that Sirhan shot anyone. Forensics proves he didn't.
> by starting with an image of another shooting victim being near RFK, not the shooter, his rent-a-cop fake security guard, Thane Eugene Cesar, who shot RFK.

Then there's the AP byline as viral marketing as 9/11 misdirection.

fruhmenschen wrote:.....
By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent Linda Deutsch, Ap Special Correspondent – Sat Jun 4, 4:57 pm ET

Hate to tell ya...it's a heavier-than-usual 9/11 season with the 10th anniversary. Soooo....

The short-selling through Deutsche Bank....is a keyword hijacking target. I know- add it to the 9/11 propaganda thread....
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Prosecution concedes there were 2 guns...

Postby MinM » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:28 am

Sunday, February 5, 2012
Major New Development in RFK case

Buried a few paragraphs into the story is this little gem, "Harris, who is asking a federal court in Los Angeles to dismiss Sirhan's request, conceded in court papers filed Wednesday that his lawyers may be able to show two guns were involved in Kennedy's assassination." Wow...

http://justiceforkennedy.blogspot.com/2 ... -case.html

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2001

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11973

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=32226

viewtopic.php?p=439349#p439349

Earth-704509
MinM

Re: The men who wacked The Enlightenment

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:20 am

Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:The op article conveys misdirection two ways:
> by reinforcing the false assertion that Sirhan shot anyone. Forensics proves he didn't.
> by starting with an image of another shooting victim being near RFK, not the shooter, his rent-a-cop fake security guard, Thane Eugene Cesar, who shot RFK.

Then there's the AP byline as viral marketing as 9/11 misdirection.

fruhmenschen wrote:.....

Hate to tell ya...it's a heavier-than-usual 9/11 season with the 10th anniversary. Soooo....

The short-selling through Deutsche Bank....is a keyword hijacking target. I know- add it to the 9/11 propaganda thread....

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby christs4sale » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:19 pm

fruhmenschen wrote:my source says Schrade is the only good guy in the bunch.

Thanks for the article.

I am just curious of what issues you or your source have with DiEugenio's credibility.

My issue is that he tends to overlook, and dodges the issue when asked, some of the questionable actions of Mark Lane. Particularly with those related to Jonestown.
christs4sale

Postby Nordic » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:33 pm

http://mynewsla.com/orange-county/2015/ ... picks=true

Cop hero who nabbed Robert F. Kennedy’s killer charged in bank heist
POSTED BY KEN STONE ON JULY 24, 2015 IN OC | 391 VIEWS | LEAVE A RESPONSE

A retired LAPD detective who helped capture Sirhan Sirhan after the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in 1968 was charged Friday with robbing a bank in Rancho Santa Margarita.

Randolph Bruce Adair, 70, of Rancho Santa Margarita is suspected in five heists, but is charged so far with the most recent holdup credited to the Snowbird Bandit.
Besides helping nab the killer of the Democratic presidential contender at the Ambassador Hotel, Adair is credited with saving seven people from a burning building in 1970.

Adair was turned in by family members who say he has a gambling problem.

According to an affidavit filed by FBI Special Agent Christopher Gicking, a First Citizens Bank branch at 29818 Santa Margarita Parkway was robbed just before 5 p.m. Tuesday.

The bandit handed a demand note to a teller stating, “I have a gun, give me all large bills. No trash,” before getting away with $1,658.

After authorities publicly released video surveillance photos of the suspect, the defendant’s family called investigators and said Adair “is retired, on a fixed income, and a heavy gambler,” Gicking wrote.

The retired detective, who worked for the Los Angeles Police Department from 1969-88, was arrested Wednesday. A search of his car led investigators to recover a loaded .38 caliber handgun, authorities said.

When Adair was shown surveillance video photos of the Snowbird Bandit, he said, “I’m cooked. I think I should have a lawyer,” according to Gicking.

Adair is expected to make his first appearance in court on Monday. Federal prosecutors may charge him with more heists later, according to Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

In addition to the Tuesday holdup, the Snowbird Bandit — the FBI coined the moniker based on the suspect’s age and appearance — is suspected of robberies at:

A U.S. Bank branch in Ladera Ranch on July 6
A Wells Fargo Bank branch in Mission Viejo on June 11
First Citizens Bank branch in Rancho Santa Margarita on May 22
And a California Bank and Trust in Dana Point on March 20.
— City News Service contributed to this report.

Seems odd that when I did a search here at RI, I got 0 results for RFK and only 2 for Robert Kennedy.
Nordic

Postby IanEye » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:46 pm

Lots of results for "Sirhan".
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Nordic » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm not the best at searching. This was for searching titles only. M

Anyway I find it interesting that one of the cops involved has a serious gambling problem. Enough that he would take to robbing banks. Collaborators with the spooks always seem to be heavily compromised.

Would be interesting if he started talking.
Nordic

Postby fruhmenschen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:37 pm

fruhmenschen

Postby zangtang » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:56 am

boy oh boy that looks a lot of fun. organise yesselves a little game:
1st to spot the CIA retiree who-drew-the-short-straw with his
probationary junior staffer on 'reputation management' duty
dragnetting around gets to drink for free @the party at the end!
zangtang

Return to General Discussion