#OCCUPYWALLSTREET campaign - September 17

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: RI Meetup at the Occupy Wall Street Campaign - 9/17

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Bump.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby thurnundtaxis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm planning on it.
thurnundtaxis

Postby pathological curve » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:17 pm

I'm a lurker (which is code for cointelpro cybermonitoring and meme deployment, of course) but I might do this thing.
pathological curve

Postby 82_28 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Haha. Be nice to our boys there, curve. We have waves of methods to "attack" all over the north American continent.

We also have monitors of these things.

Have fun and get some good done. Be careful, too and do what you must. Hope you guys have fun while doing good and you make a meaningful and obviously peaceful difference.

There are gonna be provocateurs, that much is a given, depending on the size of this. The police are going to be among you.

For people like Jack and Bruce, they should be pretty easy to pick out. Stay away from them and do not associate. Blah blah blah. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 pm

We should make every effort to win the NYPD over.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Nordic » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:We should make every effort to win the NYPD over.

I disagree. That's a mistake almost all protests make these days.

Nothing wrong with a little tension.

They're not there to be your friend, or to "serve and protect". They're there to bust you in the head, taze you, throw you in jail, and they would love an opportunity to do so.

Check out the Washington State longshoremen's protests. They were able to overwhelm the cops with sheer numbers. Any system can be overwhelmed.

Until that point, take it right to the edge. Bother them. Annoy them. If you can, confuse them. Keep moving around, distract them if possible.

Being nice will just get you in some "free speech zone", like Cleveland, or will get you kettled right into jail.

The cops are not your friends. FUCK them. Remember they're going to get photos and video of everyone there. So everyone there should have cameras, rolling on the cops, too many of them to deal with.

Be peaceful but don't be nice. You're there to be angry, goddamnit.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: #OCCUPYWALLSTREET campaign - September 17

Postby Plutonia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:46 pm

I'm starting to feel a little anticipatory buzz :P

Legal Info on NYC #Sept17 Occupation Reviewed By National Lawyers Guild
This document was reviewed by the National Lawyers Guild.

If you are participating in actions on or following September 17 related to Occupy Wall Street, you might want to familiarize yourself with the following legal information:

Preparation

If you receive a phone call from the Intelligence Division of the Police Department asking for information about September 17, you are not required to answer them. It is recommended that you arrive to Wall Street with legal contact information written on your wrist or ankle; there is no guarantee that information written on paper will be accessible in the event of arrest.

During the Occupation

Provided that you do not block building entrances or more than half of a sidewalk, it is legal to have a moving picket line and hand out literature. You are also legally allowed to use whistles, drums, and any other non-amplified generators of sound. Unless a permit is obtained, it is unlawful to march in the streets, have a procession with 50 or more automobiles or bicycles, gather with more than 20 people in a public park, or use amplified sound. A permit is not being requested for the occupation. According to the New York Civil Liberties Union, amplified sound is prohibited “within 500 feet of a school, courthouse or church during hours of school court or worship, or within 500 feet of a hospital... [and] between 10 p.m. and 9 a.m. in nonresidential areas.”

It is illegal for more than two people to wear masks, including bandanas, during a demonstration. The New York City Police Department will take away any signs that use wooden sticks, metal, or PVC pipes, as well as any signs that are affixed to public property. Hanging a banner from a bridge can lead to being charged with reckless endangerment.
Be aware there are different legal jurisdictions for PUBLIC SIDEWALKS, PRIVATE PROPERTY, PUBLIC PARKS, and FEDERAL PROPERTY in lower Manhattan.
You are allowed to sleep on the sidewalk as part of a political protest without a permit (Met Council v. NYPD, 2000); however, you must keep half of the sidewalk clear for pedestrians. It is unlawful for structures such as tents to be erected.

If You Come into Contact with the Police

During the action, if police prevent you from leaving, ask if you are free to go. If they ask to search you or your bag, you should repeatedly state, “I do not consent to a search.” The New York City chapter of the National Lawyers Guild advises that if you are arrested, it is best to say, “I am going to remain silent. I want to speak to a lawyer.” The police can legally lie when attempting to acquire information from you. You have the right to ask for an officer’s name and badge number. If you are mistreated, obtain this information as well as contact information of witnesses. If you are injured, take photographs of the injuries as soon as possible. Lastly, the National Lawyers Guild states, “If you are undocumented, out of status, a legal permanent resident (green card holder), or a citizen, you do not have to answer any questions about your immigration history [to government officers].”

The National Lawyers Guild in New York will remain open on Saturday, September 17, 2011.

There will be NLG legal observers on the ground on neon green hats.

NLG hotline number in case of arrest is (212) 679-6018.

Write this number with a sharp on your wrist or ankle in the case of arrest.

http://www.usdayofrage.org/know-your-ri ... ept17.html
[the British] government always kept a kind of standing army of news writers who without any regard to truth, or to what should be like truth, invented & put into the papers whatever might serve the minister

T Jefferson,
Plutonia

Postby barracuda » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:48 pm

It's an occupation - you win hearts and minds through shock and awe.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm optimistic that some New Yorkers (maybe even the cops) are going to be sympathetic to the "cause." I don't know, you're probably right. Just thinking about what happened in Tahrir, and bumping that up against the recent disrespects they've been shown in the past week.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:18 am

The only way to "win them over" is to go home because you're so cowed by their authoritarian presence.
Nordic

Postby norton ash » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 am

LA telling East Coast to be more tough and abrasive. :evilgrin
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:35 am

Ha. Yeah but they're all liberals, most likely, which means as nice as nice can be.

"Hey, look how nice we are!"

I went to an organized protest against Arnold Schwarzenegger once, when he was giving the graduating address at Santa Monica College. The cops laid out a nice little route for our sweet little law-abiding protest which ended at the backside of a distant parking lot about half a mile from where arnold was actually speaking.

It was a pathetic joke, made even worse by most of the "protestors" thinking, somehow, that this was "good enough". Most stayed right there for the big circle jerk of the choir preaching to the choir.

A few of us who actually came to protest went wandering off across the campus and found where the speech was actually going on and disrupted it as best we could, in support of the faculty members who deliberately stood and turned their backs on the knucklehead.

My son was with us, in a stroller. Good times.

Maybe three of us, out of several hundred, actually strayed from the "free speech zone" which was to agree to be relegated to a fucking out of the way parking lot.

We supposedly have a Constitutional right of Free Assembly in this country. We need to be sure we use it.
Nordic

Postby 2012 Countdown » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:50 am

Call to Artists
Cultural creatives everywhere … create a piece to embolden our September 17th revolt. Send to kono@adbusters.org

Nail a Manifesto to Your Prof's Door
Starting Sept 17, ask your economics professors how they measure progress and how climate change is factored into their theories. Print some of the provocative posters/manifestos at kickitover.org and post them all around your department.

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/occupywallstreet
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby Project Willow » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:51 am

I liked it when I was in Paris and the police unions marched in the protest.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 2012 Countdown » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:00 am

Ha! Glenn Beck is apparently spreading the word. He is bad mouthing the protest no doubt. Sort of sad an pathetic that his duped listeners/followers are yet again being told to be against what they allegidly say they want, but thats the way things have been. Channel their rage to work against themselves and blame the victims of big banks/Wall St.. Still, good to see the protest getting publicity -no such thing as bad pub. From an investment bd. I lurk/post at.-

Vortex
Member Join Date: Aug 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agreed -somethings up - Glen Beck had a whole tv show yesterday about it - He said JP Morgan was layering security around the HQ in NYC spost to be some kind of big protest kicking off on the 17th. Not good.

George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion