What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Postby Perelandra » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 pm

I've wanted a place to stick garden pics and discuss, would love to see yours.

Today I pulled the garlic. No pic because it's too sad. Heads are small and I left them in a bit too long, hoping they'd size up a bit more, so some of the cloves started to separate. Guess it was the cold wet spring. On the other hand, I recently processed a superb harvest of sour cherries and the potatoes and carrots did well.

Every year is different.

Will post some pics later.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Postby marycarnival » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:49 pm

I didn't have the resources to do a garden this year, but my roommate has a pretty sweet container garden that I get to enjoy. This year was the first year she got the nasturtium and sunflowers to bloom (slugs usually get 'em), and second-year strawberries are looking good (they're still fruiting!).

I would love to see some pics of what you all got goin'!
marycarnival

Postby NaturalMystik » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:54 pm

I've been harvesting loads of hot peppers, chilli's, bananna peppers, cherry blasters, jalapeno's, and the habaneros will be ready soon. Zucchinis seem to be growing over night. Lots of sweet peas and snow peas. Carrots still have a few weeks, and all my various tomatoes are still green. Just pulled my last head of romaine. Radishes are done, probably time to start planting again for a fall harvest. All in all it's been a great growing season so far.
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby NaturalMystik » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Forgot about the green beans, can't keep up with them... Between the beans and hot peppers perhaps it's time to set up a little trade table at the end of my driveway...
NaturalMystik

Postby Elihu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:13 pm

I've been harvesting loads of hot peppers, chilli's, bananna peppers, cherry blasters, jalapeno's, and the habaneros will be ready soon. Zucchinis seem to be growing over night. Lots of sweet peas and snow peas. Carrots still have a few weeks, and all my various tomatoes are still green. Just pulled my last head of romaine. Radishes are done, probably time to start planting again for a fall harvest. All in all it's been a great growing season so far.

Forgot about the green beans, can't keep up with them... Between the beans and hot peppers perhaps it's time to set up a little trade table at the end of my driveway...

booya! forgive me, i'm jealous...
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby Perelandra » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm jealous, too! Pics, please? Shortly after I posted, SOMEONE confiscated my camera and it just turned up. So when I get back from a trip, I will definitely post some of my own. My own gardens are small and scattered around, but we still do pretty well.

I can't wait to try the corn (just a few ears, really, but hey). I had my first year of black raspberries and about three little gooseberries. Not sure if the latter were ripe enough and they did not impress me. We'll see next year. A couple weeks ago, I picked a lot of red raspberries at a farm nearby, they're lovely.

I have a bunch of little green figs and grapes. Fingers crossed that the warm and mostly sunny weather hangs on long enough for them to ripen.

Happy eating. :basicsmile
Perelandra

Postby NaturalMystik » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Tomatoes are finally ripening, horray! I'll get a photo soon...
NaturalMystik

Postby barracuda » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 pm

The boysenberries were picked a month ago, and a huge crop of pears last week. Tomatoes, chili peppers, and pomegranates are coming in now, with the orange tree and the bananas well on their way.

Yes, I have a banana grove on my property now. It is awesome. There's no other flower quite like a banana flower...

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby NaturalMystik » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 pm

No garden shots yet, but I was doing a little catch up out there and here is today's meager bounty...

"Tastes better than gold..."
NaturalMystik

Postby Stephen Morgan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:05 am

Is redness a good thing in wild apples?
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Perelandra » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 pm

It could be a wild apple, or an old cultivated variety, or a crabapple. Hard to say without seeing and tasting. You're probably the best judge. If it's very sour, it could be crabapple. Still good for stewing sauce or apple butter.
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:47 pm

Great photos above, thanks. My photos are maybe a couple weeks old by now, today I will get more to post.

Perelandra

Postby Stephen Morgan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 pm

I will collect some apples in the morning. The entire countryside around here is full of them. Quite dangerous, going along a cycle-path covered entirely in apples.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Postby Stephen Morgan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:31 am

I collected sample apples from a few trees along the abandoned railway line and they all taste very much like normal apples. I must say, I've never actually ate a crab apple or a cooking apple or anything. They were the three trees on that side of town with reddened apples. One in a hedge a couple of miles south of town and one on a spoil tip left a bit of an aftertaste. One growing on a bridge which had all-red apples was a bit bland, but also had plenty of apples low enough for me to reach, unlike the other two. I must recover some apples from those trees which produce small yellowy apples, and try the trees on the other side of town.
Stephen Morgan

Postby Perelandra » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:43 pm

I see a possible avenue toward seasonal production of high-quality local cider.
Enjoy the apple hunt.
Perelandra

Next

Return to Self Sufficiency