#OCCUPYWALLSTREET campaign - September 17

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: #OCCUPYWALLSTREET campaign - September 17

Postby wordspeak2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Is there a time yet for the Tribeca meet-up? I'd love to go, but it's going to be a last-minute decision.

I'm a little confused, though. What makes people think that the pigs aren't going to arrest everyone in the first twenty-four hours. We're talking about the NYPD.
wordspeak2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:53 pm

wordspeak2 wrote:Is there a time yet for the Tribeca meet-up? I'd love to go, but it's going to be a last-minute decision.

I'm a little confused, though. What makes people think that the pigs aren't going to arrest everyone in the first twenty-four hours. We're talking about the NYPD.

We don't have a set time yet, but we're planning to meet for breakfast at the Square Diner in Tribeca.

For simplicity, let's use the RI Meetup at the Occupy Wall Street Campaign - 9/17 thread for all subsequent meetup planning.

I'm going to propose a meetup time in that thread right now.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Re: RI Meetup at the Occupy Wall Street Campaign - 9/17

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm proposing that we meet for brunch at the Square Diner in Tribeca at 11:00 AM this Saturday, 9/17.

After brunch, we'll head to Wall Street and suss out the situation.

So far, it seems like it's me, Riddler, Psynapz, thurnundtaxis, and wordspeak2.

Let me know if this is doable for all.

Best,

B.D.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby 2012 Countdown » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:08 am

Print and online media
Published 2011-09-14 09:22:55 UTC by drew

Want to get the word out? Download these fliers to print or distribute digitally:

Print fliers (PDF) - Here are a number of 8.5" x 11" fliers, some full page other quarter page. Pick the one you like, print it and give it out.

Online fliers (PDF) - Full color fliers, distribute them however you'd like!

https://occupywallst.org/

===

Sign Up Sheet for Brothers and Sisters Who Need a Place To RestPublished 2011-09-14 02:41:18 UTC by OccupyWallSt

This sign up sheet is only to facilitate connections for people who need a place to rest. People should contact potential hosts to make arrangement, get addresses, etc. http://www.couchsurfing.com is a recommended alternative for finding a place to crash if this list doesn’t serve your needs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h9a ... n_US&pli=1

====

Lead up to occupation
Published 2011-09-13 09:18:36 UTC by OccupyWallSt

There is a lot going on this week in the lead up to September 17th. First off, for some inspiration check out all the solidarity movements around the world.

Meetings & Training:
•USDOR is hosting non violent civil disobedience training Friday @ 6:30. See the details and location on the calendar page or on USDOR calendar.
•There will be a Tactical Committee Meeting Wednesday, 7pm Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn
•There will be Art & Culture meetings Tuesday and Thursday to discuss activities. Learn more on the calendar page
•Time's Up will be hosting critical mass style ALL NIGHT rides though the Wall st. area. Meet at Tompkins sq park at 7pm Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (9/16-18) to join the ride. More info on their calendar page
•There is an event for NY Students Rising September 16, Friday 5:00pm Hunter College
•NYC General Assembly calendar
•There will be a Open General Assembly September 17th, Saturday 3:00pm at Chase Manhattan Plaza.

Resources:
•NYCGA - September 17th Legal Fact Sheet - Download PDF flyer
•USDOR has created an crowd source map for the occupation.
•USDOR also has legal information reviewed by the National Lawyers Guild. Check out the USDOR resources page. Also take a look at their tactics cheat sheet
•The General Assembly, in association with a number of activists around the world, has set up a live "TV" channel called Global Revolution
•The New York City General Assembly has a website up with minutes from the 9/10 meeting.
•Check out the Occupy Wall Street subreddit for discussion and info.
Important stuff:

•HOTLINE FOR ARRESTS September 17, National Lawyers Guild: (212) 679-6018. If you will be at the action write this down on your arm. It was recommended to call them if you hear of an arrest or if you are arrested
Things you can help with:

•The Food Committee is working on feeding people at the occupation, if you can PLEASE DONATE. Contact CunderscoreG@gmail.com to see how you can help food committee
•If you are in the NYC area and can host fellow brothers and sisters, someone is gathering volunteers to help provide access to board & bathe logistical spaces for out-of-towners click here to view the google doc
•Contact the NYCPD expressing your solidarity with the protesters and urging the police to exercise restraint. Also, tell them the world is watching. And thank them for all their hard work. Email form for the NYPD police commissioner. Contact the mayor
•Spread the word! Media kits: Print fliers (PDF) & Online fliers (PDF)
More to come... Please add your information in the comments! remember you can create nice links like so: [link text](url)

==========

#OCCUPYWALLSTREET will begin @12pm at Bowling Green Park, NYC
Published 2011-09-13 01:53:07 UTC by OccupyWallSt

Music, arts, and orientation guides will greet you at 12pm in Bowling Green Park on Saturday. Bowling Green Park is in the financial district of Manhattan.

More details soon.

Question about OccupyWallStreet? Wondering about the plan for Sept. 17th? Out-of-town and want to be in-the-loop? Email organizers from NYC at 9.17occupywallstreet@gmail.com

=====
We Are the 99 Percent
We are the 99 percent. We are getting kicked out of our homes. We are forced to choose between groceries and rent. We are denied quality medical care. We are suffering from environmental pollution. We are working long hours for little pay and no rights, if we're working at all. We are getting nothing while the other 1 percent is getting everything. We are the 99 percent.

Brought to you by the People who want to Occupy Wall Street on September 17. Why will YOU be there?

Photo submission site-
http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/
---

George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby 2012 Countdown » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:10 am

#OCCUPYWALLSTREET will begin @12pm at Bowling Green Park, NYC
Published 2011-09-13 01:53:07 UTC by OccupyWallSt

Music, arts, and orientation guides will greet you at 12pm in Bowling Green Park on Saturday. Bowling Green Park is in the financial district of Manhattan.

More details soon.

Question about OccupyWallStreet? Wondering about the plan for Sept. 17th? Out-of-town and want to be in-the-loop? Email organizers from NYC at 9.17occupywallstreet@gmail.com

George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby Nordic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 am

be still my beating heart!

this is looking to have some real potential.

i'm at the wrong end of the country!
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Elvis » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:53 pm

I've been telling friends for awhile now that I'd love to see a million people converge on Wall Street to protest; this is a great start! Good luck to those who will be there (no way I can go).

I haven't seen this, from HuffPost, posted here, it might have some useful info:

Nathan Schneider
Editor, WagingNonviolence.org

Arrests During Test Run for #OccupyWallStreet
Posted: 9/12/11 01:15 PM ET

I noted at the end of my earlier post that nine people were arrested on Wall Street in New York City on September 1 while conducting a test run of the police response in preparation for #occupywallstreet, the sustained action slated to begin on September 17. As of my last writing, the video taken of the test run was still being kept private while the participants were awaiting legal advice. Now it's up:

Notice the sleeping pad and mattress, along with the guitars and other festivity equipment. Since planning for the occupation began in earnest in early August, there has been ongoing debate about whether it will even be possible to set up camp in Wall Street without immediately breaking the law. The prospect of risking arrest like that en masse could put a real damper on participation.

But a couple of weeks ago, a member of the September 17 tactics committee informed the group over their email list that, according to a 2000 district court decision in New York, "the United States Constitution does not allow the City to prevent an orderly political protest from using public sleeping as a means of symbolic expression." Erecting structures isn't protected by this decision, though. Since then, there seems to be agreement that tents are no longer part of the plan. For instance, US Day of Rage's tactics cheat-sheet for the 17th says:

Camping ... is prohibited. DO NOT SET UP A TENT.

Discipline might be hard to attain on this point, especially since one of the few messages given on the original Adbusters call (right) for #occupywallstreet was "BRING TENT." No wonder US Day of Rage used all caps.

It appears that a number of September 17 prospective participants come with experience from Bloombergville, the extended encampment earlier in the summer protesting the city's budget cuts. One, a graduate student at the City University of New York, told me over email that her initial interest in the Wall Street occupation stemmed from the "positive experience" she had at Bloombergville. "I think Bloombergville's three-week encampment near City Hall was a unifying experience for many in the New York City left," she said. "Sleeping on the sidewalks together, resolving logistical issues -- such as food, shelter from rain, showers -- and planning actions throughout the day is quite the bonding experience."

That might not be possible on Wall Street. On June 6 I watched as, even with a permit, a very small procession was prevented from demonstrating there by men in suits, city police with assault rifles, cages, and horses.

As the video above shows, the test-run demonstrators were arrested despite citing the law to the police. They were within their rights. Eight were released that night and, inexplicably, one more was held until the next day. All charges were dropped.

It remains to be seen how the police will prepare, and how they will respond, and to what they will actually be responding. "Even at Bloombergville, we were relocated six times," the CUNY graduate student remembers. "I guess we'll find out on the 17th."

Originally published on Waging Nonviolence.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-schneider/occupy-wall-street-protest_b_954551.html

pics at link
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:35 pm

An update at the YouTube above says,
"upd: our next crusade on wall street, a week after, this time in a day time and with more success http://www.youtube.com/user/ourstreetwa ... T8SFPtRYmw"

Not too exciting but we get a feel for the mood.

Ruminating... I wonder if all the protesters wore suits & ties and carried briefcases...could the cops tell who was who? Just a funny thought.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby norton ash » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Ruminating... I wonder if all the protesters wore suits & ties and carried briefcases...could the cops tell who was who? Just a funny thought.

Good idea... you could be on constant recon radio and camouflaged at the same time by yapping urgently into a bluetooth as well...

Prevail, comrades, our cause is just. I wish I could be there, I thought about it a lot, but work and life say 'no way' right now.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby 82_28 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Camping ... is prohibited. DO NOT SET UP A TENT.

That right there is unconstitutional. Of course tents are allowed otherwise an important point might be made, such as those who have been driven destitute by those who have declared "no tents". What fucking cocksuckers. Get used to 'dem tents scros.

I've met these types. I'm sure Bruce and Jack know more of these characters than I do. One time I was in NYC and was hanging out with people and they literally phased into an over an hour long conversation about their "fantasy stock investment" game they had going on. Of course I was repulsed, but hey, I was in New York!

BTW, if I ever go on vacation and wind up in NY on said vaycay I'm hittin' one of you up for room and board or possibly a tent.

Good luck tomorrow, friends. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby eyeno » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Good idea... you could be on constant recon radio and camouflaged at the same time by yapping urgently into a bluetooth as well...

That is one hell of a stellar idea. If every single person could show up in a suit and tie that might add an interesting dimension to the festival.
eyeno

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:47 am

This morning, Cairo time (well-timed 7 hours earlier than Eastern Standard Time), I woke up to this headline:

3 dead, 56 injured in horrific Reno air show crash
    APBy MARTIN GRIFFITH - Associated Press,SCOTT SONNER - Associated Press | AP – 3 hrs ago

RENO, Nev. (AP) — A World War II-era fighter plane flown by a veteran Hollywood stunt pilot plunged Friday into the edge of the grandstands during a popular air race, killing three people, injuring more than 50 spectators and creating a horrific scene strewn with smoking debris.

The plane, piloted by 74-year-old Jimmy Leeward, spiraled out of control without warning and appeared to disintegrate upon impact. Bloodied bodies were spread across the area as people tended to the victims and ambulances rushed to the scene.

Authorities were investigating the cause, but an official with the event said there were indications that mechanical problems were to blame.

Maureen Higgins of Alabama, who has been coming to the air races for 16 years, said the pilot was on his third lap when he lost control.

She was sitting about 30 yards from the crash and watched in horror as the man in front of her started bleeding after debris hit him in the head.

"I saw body parts and gore like you wouldn't believe it. I'm talking an arm, a leg," Higgins said "The alive people were missing body parts. I am not kidding you. It was gore. Unbelievable gore." ... Link

On Edit: OK, maybe I'm nuts. But I specifically turned on my pc this morning expecting to read headlines about thousands, if not tens of thousands of Americans swarming Wall Street in a monster protest, and instead found the coverage all about the crash in Nevada: a crash that just happened to occur early enough before the protest was to begin, to ensure and justify a virtual news blackout of the protest. Paranoia? Maybe.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby 82_28 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:28 am

You're not nuts at all, alice. I like your line of thought and it is something to play with. We shall see, won't we? There's nothing wrong in what you have suggested. Just a suggestion is what you gave.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:36 am

It is odd through the footage I've been able to find however, that the trajectories of the planes racing don't seem to synch up with the way the plane in question came in, almost completely, laterally, straight down on the crowd. The other planes, even on their closest approaches seem too distant to be a danger. However, this plane comes literally at a 90 degree angle onto the people, sheer nose dive into the ground, when it was a race some distance out from the throng. Doesn't make a lot of sense yet. And perhaps we need another thread.

Note the announcer saying "what was that all about" just before the nose dive. Indeed, what was that all about?
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:44 am

I used to be into meteorological anomalies back in the day and I note that strange hole in the clouds (cloud punch or some shit is what it's called) with the little cloud directly in the middle of it off to the left of the footage. That could be of use as well.

:shrug:
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion