Italian scientists claim to have demonstrated Cold Fusion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Italian scientists claim to have demonstrated Cold Fusio

Postby Sounder » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:48 pm

PES has a financial relationship with Rossi.

In summary, Mallove's article paints a damning picture of MIT scientists and professors hell-bent on discrediting cold fusion. Out of desperation to protect hot fusion research, they went so far as to tell blatant lies, alter data, hurl personal insults, conduct celebrations of the "death" of cold fusion, and organize journalists to write hit pieces to try and dismiss Pons and Fleischmann's work in the public eye. Then the leadership of MIT turned away and ignored the misconduct and potentially criminal behavior, even when they were specifically alerted to it. Years later, these same individuals (working in other positions with the DOE and DOD) continued to promote the idea that cold fusion was "garbage."

I happened to be traveling out east, mid 90's and being a subscriber and fan of Mr. Mallove, I called him on the phone. I understood his response but it is still sad. He was suspicious from the start so I just thanked him for his work and wished him well.

I remember well the pathetic levels of derision that were piled upon the cold fusion idea. Anyone with half a brain knows that 'science' is not objective. Amazement remains however as the MIT's of the world roll merrily along while any foolish whistle blowers are ground down until they are dead.

Oh how hard the mighty do fall.
Sounder

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:34 pm

So whatever happened to Pons and Fleischman? Suicide? Small plane crash? Cancer?

Or did they just fade into the woodwork? Are they talking? If not, why not?

Couldn't they have taken the technology to some venture capitalist willing to risk some money for further study and development?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby jingofever » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Supposedly NASA has been working on "low energy nuclear reactions" or cold fusion. I don't have flash installed so cannot check out the NASA page.

A short description of the video: NASA video on LENR (low energy nuclear reactions), a clean form of nuclear energy.

I don't know anything about cold fusion. Is there anything happening here?
jingofever

Postby wintler2 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:05 am

Wait until next week, when I demonstrate that when I take a cast iron skillet, covered with aluminum, and leave it in the fridge with tomato sauce in it, with copper wires going in and out, I'll be able to light a dim, dim LED bulb that free energy followers will chase across the internet until time immemorial the lights go out on this sad excuse for a prison planet. ..

I've missed you, nathan28 :hug1:
"Wintler2, you are a disgusting example of a human being, the worst kind in existence on God's Earth. This is not just my personal judgement.." BenD

Research question: are all god botherers authoritarians?
wintler2

Postby slimmouse » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:15 am

wintler2 wrote:
Wait until next week, when I demonstrate that when I take a cast iron skillet, covered with aluminum, and leave it in the fridge with tomato sauce in it, with copper wires going in and out, I'll be able to light a dim, dim LED bulb that free energy followers will chase across the internet until time immemorial the lights go out on this sad excuse for a prison planet. ..

Probably not nearly as much as youve missed Nikola Tesla.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Sounder » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:24 am

Well yes, no doubt.

It is so much easier to not deal at all with the substance of the OP or the other positive posters if you have another partner in derision that will help keep you distracted and entertained.

Others of us will however take advantage of this bits and bites exchange devise and link to more sources of information that may -gasp- change our minds. What a concept, using information to challenge our pretenses rather than only using information to reenforce ones pretenses.

Interested observers might want to check out the brillouinenergy folk. These people are not popcorn vendors and I dare say carry more collective credibility with their yes vote than do a few internet naysayers.

http://www.brillouinenergy.com/

Our People

The Team

Robert W. George II, Chief Executive Officer

Mr. George is a multi-disciplined executive with extensive experience in product design and commercialization, running successful companies in the public and private sector, providing creative solutions for product development, marketing and international licensing and joint ventures.
Along with his duties at Brillouin Energy, Mr. George is Managing Director at Grosvenor Financial Partners, LLC, where he is a technical consultant assisting clients in establishing Joint Ventures, Licensing and Strategic Alliances in the U. S., Europe and the Gulf (GCC) region. Previously, he has produced extraordinary results as CEO for several companies including Commerce Direct Systems, Inc. Napa, CA, Imagineering International, Inc., Nashua, NH and Denning Mobile Robotics, Inc. Wilmington, MA (NASDAQ:GARD). At Denning Mobile Robotics Mr. George developed the world’s first commercial artificially intelligent autonomous mobile robots and positioned the company for a successful Initial Public Offering.
Mr. George serves on several Boards of Directors that include:

Equinox Equity Investments, LLC, Developer of hospitality properties. Evans Hagen & Company, Competitive market analysts, litigation support, technology telecommunications. Strategic Communications, Inc., Providing public companies with Investor Relations and Public Relations. Oklahoma Energy Corp (NASDAQ:OKOK) Oil, Gas and Energy development.

Mr. George has a BSME from University of New Hampshire in Mechanical Engineering and a BA from Massachusetts College of Art in High Temperature Ceramics. While studying at the University of New Hampshire he received the prestigious Lincoln Foundation Engineering Award.
Robert E. Godes, President and Chief Technology Officer

The founder of Brillouin Energy Corp. is an innovative technical designer, electrical engineer, and creative solution inventor with over 25 years experience in identifying and developing technology products for diverse organizations. Recognized and identified for improving overall productivity, focused on continuously delivering efficient applications while maintaining reliability and reducing overall costs. He has contributed to applications including torpedo guidance systems, paper currency recognition systems, distributed data collection and control systems, and puddle detection systems. He has actively studied mechanics, quantum mechanics, and several areas of physics, electronics, control systems, programming, and chemistry. His talent in integrating mechanical design, physics, and chemistry provides extraordinary insight into the various problems and failures of existing research in this field.

Previous to Brillouin Energy Corp, Mr. Godes worked as an electrical engineer at EnergyLine, Clear-com, Versatec and ARDAC. Mr. Godes earned a BS from Ohio Northern University in electrical engineering. He is knowledgeable in the fields of Material Science, Chemistry, Astrophysics, Molecular Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics. He was awarded the Remsburg Annual Creativity Award, ONU IEEE Design Contest and the ONU Board of Engineering Director's Contest. He published a nine-page feature article in Infinite Energy Magazine: “The Quantum Fusion Hypothesis”, Vol 14 issue 82 2008. (See link in the side bar to the left.)

Jim Aldridge, Engineering Manager, Project Leader

Accomplished and integrity-driven technology entrepreneur committed to developing renewable energy solutions. Jim’s career spans 35 years in Silicon Valley working in over 25 technology companies directing complex engineering and marketing projects. He has led successful product developments and commercial launches for companies in Fiber Optics, Telecommunications, Semiconductor Equipment, Automated Test Systems and Robotics. Jim is highly experienced in leading design teams to develop and commercially grow technology products for new emerging markets.

Other endeavors of Mr. Aldridge include:

2006 – Present, Alpha Robotics Systems, Palo Alto, CA - Engineering Consultant
Horizon Analog, Lawrence, KS - CTO for startup of electronic signal processing company - Led design of specialized all-analog filter for DSL and audio applications.

Global Silicon Networks, Fremont, CA - Directed electronic engineering for startup Designed and built robot and mechanical interface for thin film coating equipment.

Innovation Engineering, San Mateo, CA - Engineering manager - Developed electronic hardware and firmware to control SCARA robot arm for glass material handler.

Advisory Board
Technical Advisory Board

Brillouin has carefully selected our Advisory Board to help with experimental setup, data collection, calorimetry, calculations and interfacing with commercial generation companies. Brillouin Energy currently has a six man Advisory Board:

Charles S. Holden, scientific consultant, works with Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in development of nuclear Fuel cycles and medical isotopes.

Michael C.H. McKubre PhD., Director, Energy Research Center, Stanford Research Institute

Edward Beardsworth PhD. marketing strategy and business development consultant

Roger W. Fuller, Founder and the Senior Scientist Maxim Integrated Products

Adolfo O. Gutierrez PhD., Executive Director and co-founder of Southern Pacific Research Institute for Advanced Technologies

Robert Clear PhD. Past Staff Scientist for Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory in the Applied Science Division.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby Nordic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:48 am

jingofever wrote:Supposedly NASA has been working on "low energy nuclear reactions" or cold fusion. I don't have flash installed so cannot check out the NASA page.

A short description of the video: NASA video on LENR (low energy nuclear reactions), a clean form of nuclear energy.

I don't know anything about cold fusion. Is there anything happening here?

Washingtons Blog just posted on this:

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/01/ ... rough.html

Interesting. Seems ..... weird. Too good to be true. Like something in the first minute of science fiction movie or something .....
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:53 am

Cryptogon has the following poll:

How do Cryptogon readers think the Andrea Rossi E-cat saga will turn out?

*Andrea Rossi is the real deal and I'll soon be able to buy an E-cat for use in my house
(18%, 47 Votes)

*Andrea Rossi will be assassinated
(17%, 46 Votes)

*Andrea Rossi will wind up in prison for fraud
(31%, 81 Votes)

*Too tough to call / equal odds / some other outcome
(34%, 91 Votes)
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 am

NASA Calls Cold Fusion (LENR) a Game Changer

NASA's Technology Gateway has posted a two-minute video that summarizes the emerging LENR field and the hope it brings for a world of clean, affordable energy. The overview features senior research scientist at NASA Langley, Joseph Zawodny describing a near future of home power devices.

Dr. Zawodny: "It has the demonstrated ability to produce excess amounts of energy, cleanly, without hazardous ionizing radiation, without producing nasty waste."

Narrator: "This clean form of energy is also power, able to support everything from transportation systems to infrastructure."

Dr. Zawodny: "The easiest implementation of this would be for the home. You would have a unit that would replace your water heater. And you would have some sort of cycle to derive electrical energy from that. And then it would dump its waste heat into the water or air handing system for the building. So it would be a dual use thing. It would be sitting there producing heat; [and] you'd drive electricity from it to run your electronics, power the house, power the building, power the lights. And then the waste heat would be used for environmental control [e.g. heat pump / air conditioning] and warm water."
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Joe Zawodny
Observations

Technology Gateway Video
Filed under: Current Events, Energy, Physics, Technology, The Future — JMZ @ 1916

First the disclaimers: While I do work for NASA, I do not speak for them. They employ me for my professional capabilities and on occasion my professional opinion. Nothing I say should ever be construed as anything other than my personal opinion. As a NASA employee I am allowed and often times encouraged to say what I think. This and the exceptional people I get to work with every day are what make NASA great and a great place to work.

I wish to respond to a number of things that have popped up on the web in the past few days and weeks. I do this here because I can control the message. Every issue has at least two sides but, only the writer gets to decide how to present them. I do not plan to make discussion of my work on this site a habit and I do not plan to allow any comments to this post. It is unlikely that any email on this topic sent to me will generate a reply. Undoubtedly, bits and pieces of this will be taken out of context and used to support claims and opinions which I myself do not hold. Such is the nature of the Wild West Web (WWW). All I can ever hope to do is to maintain the original content and context. In my opinion, reputable sites will link back to this original content and others will not.

As you have likely already noted, a non-technical video on a patent application for a new technology was made public on a NASA website this past week. It is part of the overall innovation disclosure process. It is just one of the ways NASA communicates with the public about what we do. As mandated by Executive Order, every civil servant is required to disclose an innovation or invention which may be a of value/benefit. Google “NASA technology reporting” if you wish to read the executive order and how NASA has implemented it. If a patent application is filed, a video may be produced to inform the general public of the nature of the invention or innovation. It may be a non-technical piece that communicates what this invention is about and why people might care. Such is the case of the recent video on Surface Plasmon Polaritons.

As for what people are trying to read into this video, specifically my use of the word “demonstrated”, it is my professional opinion that the production of excess energy has been demonstrated when the results of the last 20+ years of experimentation are evaluated. There has been a lot of work done in the past 20+ years. When considered in aggregate I believe excess power has been demonstrated. I did not say, reliable, useful, commercially viable, or controllable. If any of those other terms were applicable I would have used them instead. If anything, it is the lack of a single clear demonstration of reliable, useful, and controllable production of excess power that has held LENR research back. As a non-technical piece aimed at the general public, my limited media training has taught me that less information/detail is generally better than more. I did not produce or direct the video. While I saw the video before it was released, I did not learn of it’s release until the email started pouring in Thursday morning.

There have been many attempts to twist the release of this video into NASA’s support for LENR or as proof that Rossi’s e-cat really works. Many extraordinary claims have been made in 2010. In my scientific opinion, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I find a distinct absence of the latter. So let me be very clear here. While I personally find sufficient demonstration that LENR effects warrant further investigation, I remain skeptical. Furthermore, I am unaware of any clear and convincing demonstrations of any viable commercial device producing useful amounts of net energy.

So what does extraordinary evidence look like? As a trained scientist, I have been taught the historical standards for acceptance of experimental results or theories. Experiments and theories go hand-in-hand in what is known as the scientific method. Both must be independently tested, replicated, or verified. As a minimum, experimental results must be replicated by an objective and independent party. The nature of the test or replication needs to adhere to the spirit of the original experiment but, should be under the full design, implementation, and control of the independent tester. So, if a device is claimed to be capable of producing excess heat by nature of its operation (i.e., the consumption of fuel via a nuclear process), it must be operated properly. The way power input and power output are measured should be left up to the independent tester. This is standard scientific practice. What would take this to the next level (extraordinary evidence) would be to have the test be an open public test. The nature of the test and specific approach to executing the test should be made public. The conduct of the test should be open to additional 3rd party experts. And finally, the data should be publicly released. Further peer review of all aspects of the independent test is a must. Community consensus is the ultimate goal. Every attempted demonstration of a LENR device that I am aware of has failed to meet one or more of these criteria.

There is one last point I wish to cover. It has been claimed that I no longer give proper credit to Widom and Larsen for their theory. I disagree with that opinion. When I talk to my family, friends, or neighbors about some of my work. I do not cite Widom-Larsen Theory or any of their papers. There would be little point in doing so. Who the intended audience is must determine what you say and how you present the information. If a technically competent person comes across a non-technical presentation they should recognize it as such. To expect that every form of communication is exactly what you need or want it to be is unrealistic. The fact that Widom-Larsen Theory (WLT) was not explicitly mentioned in the video fit the intended audience. It is not an indication that I no longer believe WLT is likely the correct explanation behind LENR. I have been consistent in my professional briefings to indicate that I find WLT is likely correct. It appears in every briefing where I have had the time to include it and where the briefing was intended to be technical. I’ll point to my last public technical briefing at NASA GRC as evidence of this. I will continue to do so until such time that WLT has been demonstrated to be flawed. Quite frankly I am baffled that WLT is not receiving more wide spread attention. Applications of the theory appear to go far beyond LENR. The fact that I did not mention WLT in the Aviation Week article was a mistake on my part. It was a technical article to a technical audience. I communicated my regrets on that omission directly to Lewis Larsen and am quite willing to admit that error publicly – mea culpa.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Ben D » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:15 pm

http://phys.org/news/2013-11-italian-company-portable-cold-fusion.html

Italian company to sell portable cold fusion plant deliverable next year

(Phys.org) —Italian company Energy Catalyzer (shortened to ECAT) has announced that it is right now taking preorders for its ECAT 1MW portable cold fusion plant. Founded by Italian scientist Andrea Rossi, the plant has the scientific community shaking its collective head—it's never been peer reviewed and neither Rossi nor anyone else at ECAT has ever published a single paper regarding cold fusion or describing how the plant works.

Cold fusion, is of course, a theoretical means of harnessing enormous amounts of energy by fusing atoms together. Normal fusion is what powers the sun, but it of course, is very hot. Scientists have been working for years to come up with a way to cause fusion to come about in a way that doesn't require a huge amount of heat—thus the name cold fusion. Unfortunately, to date, no one has been able to figure out a way to do it—no one but Rossi, that is, if his claims turn out to be true.

Rumors of how ECAT's plant works suggest it's little more than a simple tube that utilizes an unknown nano-sized nickel type catalyst. When hydrogen is added, heat and perhaps copper, is produced. According to ECAT, the plant does nothing more than produce heated water and/or steam. Those that purchase the plant are free to attach it to a turbine to create electricity. The plant is small—just 20x20x1 centimeters, but each unit can be stacked. The company has put 106 of the units in a shipping container and all together they make up the ECAT 1MW Plant, selling for a cost of $1.5 million to anyone that wants and can afford one.

There is That which was not born, nor created, nor evolved. If it were not so, there would never be any refuge from being born, or created, or evolving. That is the end of suffering. That is God**.

** or Nirvana, Allah, Brahman, Tao, etc...
Ben D

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby DrEvil » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Ben D » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:15 am wrote:
http://phys.org/news/2013-11-italian-company-portable-cold-fusion.html

Italian company to sell portable cold fusion plant deliverable next year

(Phys.org) —Italian company Energy Catalyzer (shortened to ECAT) has announced that it is right now taking preorders for its ECAT 1MW portable cold fusion plant. Founded by Italian scientist Andrea Rossi, the plant has the scientific community shaking its collective head—it's never been peer reviewed and neither Rossi nor anyone else at ECAT has ever published a single paper regarding cold fusion or describing how the plant works.

Cold fusion, is of course, a theoretical means of harnessing enormous amounts of energy by fusing atoms together. Normal fusion is what powers the sun, but it of course, is very hot. Scientists have been working for years to come up with a way to cause fusion to come about in a way that doesn't require a huge amount of heat—thus the name cold fusion. Unfortunately, to date, no one has been able to figure out a way to do it—no one but Rossi, that is, if his claims turn out to be true.

Rumors of how ECAT's plant works suggest it's little more than a simple tube that utilizes an unknown nano-sized nickel type catalyst. When hydrogen is added, heat and perhaps copper, is produced. According to ECAT, the plant does nothing more than produce heated water and/or steam. Those that purchase the plant are free to attach it to a turbine to create electricity. The plant is small—just 20x20x1 centimeters, but each unit can be stacked. The company has put 106 of the units in a shipping container and all together they make up the ECAT 1MW Plant, selling for a cost of $1.5 million to anyone that wants and can afford one.

Are people still falling for this guy? How many times does he have to be a "few months" away from market, with unknown backers, prototypes sold to unknown companies, and no independent verification whatsoever that it actually works. I've been following this guy for years, and he's said the exact same thing as this story over and over and over again.
Soon he will announce a delay.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:31 pm

StarmanSkye » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:27 pm wrote:I recommend this vid from about a year ago as a highly informative overview of the Cold Fusion controversy, making the case for over 20 years of research results produced by a large and growing body of scientists and technicians from a wide range of hosting agencies, from academia and corporations (ie., Toyota) to foreign governments, utility companies and militaries, demonstrating production of tritium and excess energy up to 100 times greater than that expected according to conventional notions of chemical engineering.

Among other scientific critiques of the controversy this vid examines MIT's highly-publicized critical review condemning LENR (low energy nuclear reaction which Ponns & Fleischmann claimed to discover in 1989) which under independant review it was found that MIT researchers falsified their data claiming 'no evidence' to support their denunciation of Pons and Fleischmann.

Stephen E. Jones (who later became a "911 truther" and has the makings of a suspect character) discredited the cold fusion research/results of Pons and Fleischman, reportedly preventing the 2 scientists from patenting their process.

This video, found elsewhere here in RI, posits that a form of LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reaction), or Directed Energy Weapon, was directed towards the Twin Towers (and immediate surrounding area) to turn the towers to "dust" (and nearby parked cars to ruined shells, even though work papers in the same area remained undamaged.)

(the video references Pons & Fleischmann, Mallove and Jones, and their respective relationship with cold fusion/LENR technology, starting around the 52 minute mark)

Additional bread crumbs:

From ever-reliable Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischma ... experiment

Eugene Mallove's involvement in Cold Fusion/LENR, and his murder in 2004:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/07/the ... te-energy/

Stephen E. Jones, again via Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_E._Jones
Belligerent Savant

Postby Jerky » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Sometimes when experts who've spent their entire lives learning everything there is to know about a particular subject matter dismiss and rubbish radical claims in a belittling or arrogant manner, maybe it's because THEY'VE SPENT THEIR ENTIRE LIVES LEARNING EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT A PARTICULAR SUBJECT MATTER, and they take the foolish fuckery and scam artistry of charlatans very personally, indeed.

It's all well and good to keep an open mind about things, but it's pure magical thinking to believe that the average man on the street is equally up to the task of determining the credibility of extraordinary scientific claims as top experts in their fields.

When the healthy, Pynchonian paranoid reflex devolves (as it has, all too often, both in conspiracy culture and in movement conservatism), boiling down to an angry, sneering whine of "Experts don't know SHIT!", useful skepticism decays into a dangerous, all-dissolving nihilism.

J.
Jerky

Previous

Return to General Discussion