"Suicides" and "accidents" - The official RI thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: "Suicides" and "accidents" - The official RI thread

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 pm

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre80c ... me-oxford/

Mysterious death of astrophysicist shocks Oxford

Posted 2012/01/13 at 12:08 pm EST

LONDON, Jan. 13, 2012 (Reuters) — The case of an Oxford University astrophysicist who was found dead in mysterious circumstances took a dramatic twist on Friday when his wife said she believed the death was an accident and not murder as initially suspected.

The body of Professor Steven Rawlings, 50, was found on Wednesday night at the home of his close friend and fellow Oxford academic Dr Devinder Sivia, 49, after a neighbor called police to report an incident.

Sivia was arrested on suspicion of murder that night and released on bail on Friday morning until April 18. Police said an autopsy conducted on Rawlings' body was inconclusive and further examinations were needed.

Later on Friday, Rawlings' wife Linda said she did not believe her husband had been murdered.

"Steve and Devinder were best friends since college and I believe this is a tragic accident," Linda Rawlings said in a statement emailed to journalists by the police on her behalf.

"I do not believe Devinder should be tarnished in this way," she said.

Police made no comment on her statement.

Rawlings' sudden death has shocked the 900-year-old university, where he held a prestigious post as professor of physics and had led the astrophysics department from 2006 to 2010.

"The entire university community has been profoundly saddened and shocked by the tragic and untimely death of Professor Steve Rawlings," said Oxford's Vice-Chancellor Andrew Hamilton, the university's senior officer.

Sivia is a lecturer in mathematics for the sciences at Saint John's, one of the 38 colleges that make up the university.

"The college is shocked and distressed by this tragic event," said Sir Michael Scholar, president of Saint John's.

Rawlings, who lectured on vector calculus to first-year undergraduates, was based at another Oxford college, Saint Peter's.

"He was a much-liked and admired tutor and colleague within the college and will be greatly missed," said Mark Damazer, master of Saint Peter's, in a statement.

Rawlings was one of the lead scientists in the Square Kilometre Array (SKA), an international project to create the world's largest radio telescope.

"The SKA will give astronomers insight into the formation and evolution of the first stars and galaxies after the Big Bang, the role of cosmic magnetism, the nature of gravity, and possibly even life beyond Earth," says the project's website.

Sivia teaches maths for natural sciences to physics and chemistry undergraduates.

"My research interests revolve around the application of Bayesian probability theory to all sorts of data analysis problems, mainly in the physical sciences," he says on the Saint John's College website.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Misfits of Science

Postby MinM » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Earth-704509
MinM

ALF

Postby IanEye » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Max Wright has had his own troubles.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby luv2dive » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 am

21-year-old woman falls to her death from luxury high-rise near the UN
It was unclear if woman had jumped or fallen from the building, cops said

Cops were examining the 14th-floor balcony of the building, which houses a number of diplomats

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/21- ... z1l0jjsD7p

There must be lots of defective balconies in that part of town.
luv2dive

Postby MinM » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 am

viewtopic.php?p=398804#p398804
Pottersville wrote:FBI Agents who knew a great deal about JFK's assassination/coup, and were scheduled to testify before the House Select Committee on Assassinations in 1977:

William Sullivan, third in command at FBI, died in "hunting accident"
Louis Nicholas, special assistant to J. Edgar Hoover and Hoover's liaison with the Warren Commission;
Alan H. Belmont, special assistant to Hoover;
James Cadigan, document expert with access to documents that related to death of John F. Kennedy;
J. M. English, former head of FBI Forensic Sciences Laboratory where Oswald's rifle and pistol were tested;
Donald Kaylor, FBI fingerprint chemist who examined prints found at the assassination scene.

Hale Boggs, Warren Commission member who did not agree with the findings, died in small plane "crash"

John Lennon who, as his son Sean said in New Yorker magazine, was a “counter-cultural revolutionary” who the American government could not ignore. He said: “He was dangerous to the government. If he had said, ‘Bomb the White House tomorrow’, there would have been 10,000 people who would have done it. These pacifist revolutionaries are historically killed by the government. Anybody who thinks that Mark Chapman (who shot Lennon outside his New York apartment in 1980) was just some crazy guy who killed my dad for his personal interests, is insane. Or very naive. Or hasn’t thought about it clearly. It was in the best interests of the United States to have my dad killed. Definitely. And, you know, that worked against them because, once he died, his powers grew . . . They didn’t get what they wanted.”

Bob Marley, definite political assassination (by "cancer") who survived one previous assassination attempt when gunmen invaded his home and shot everyone

^^^Edited to add links to podcasts and other relevant articles^^^

rigorousintuition.ca :: I Have a DreamWorks
Clint Eastwood’s Dishonest ‘J. Edgar’ | Consortiumnews
November 30, 2011

Much of the controversy around Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar has swirled around screenwriter Lance Black’s depiction of the late FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover as a closeted gay man, since Black is a gay writer-director and most of his previous projects featured gay themes.

But even more important in any critical analysis of the movie is Eastwood’s work as director. Because that informs us about why the American film business has come to a point when a mediocre, compromised and dishonest production like this much ballyhooed film gets praised for “being candid” about one of the worst Americans of the 20th Century...

Director of Domestic Intelligence William Sullivan was the only man in the executive offices who ever stood up to Hoover. About a year or two before Hoover died, Sullivan wrote a series of memos criticizing Hoover’s performance as Director on issues like his gross exaggeration of the Communist threat inside the USA, his failure to hire African-American agents, and his failure to enforce civil rights laws. Sullivan also had tired of Hoover’s blackmail surveillance on presidents and began to think the Director was not of sound mind. [Summers, pgs. 397-99]

This culminated in a meeting in Hoover’s office where Sullivan said Hoover should retire. Hoover refused, and it was Sullivan who was forced out of the Bureau. Sullivan later testified before the Church Committee and gave Congress much inside information about Hoover’s illegal operations.

Sullivan once told columnist Robert Novak that if one day he would read about his death in some kind of accident, Novak should not believe it; it would be murder.

In 1977, during the re-investigations of the killings of John Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Sullivan died in New Hampshire as he was meeting with friends to go deer hunting. Another hunter, with a telescopic sight, mistook Sullivan for a deer and killed him with his rifle.

The book that Sullivan was working on about his 30 years in the FBI was then posthumously published, but reportedly in much expurgated form. He was one of six current or former FBI officials who died in a six-month period in 1977, the season of inquiry into FBI dirty deeds and FBI cover-ups of political assassinations.

If this film had ended with the Sullivan-Hoover feud, it would have told us something about both America and about Hoover. But it would have been dark and truthful. Evidently, Black and Eastwood were not interested in that.

Black’s agenda is pretty clear. Why Eastwood went along with this pastel-colored romance about a man who was a blackmailing monster is difficult to understand. But it proves again, as Pauline Kael explained decades ago, why Clint Eastwood is no artist. Artists don’t compromise. And they don’t falsify.

http://consortiumnews.com/2011/11/30/cl ... t-j-edgar/

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black554a.mp3

viewtopic.php?p=399983#p399983
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby Laodicean » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Life lies a slow suicide
Orthodox dreams and symbolic myths
From feudal serf to spender
This wonderful world of purchase power
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby DrVolin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Someone had to add this: Andrew Breitbart and the mysterious March 1st Obama tapes.
all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

--Guns and Roses
DrVolin

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:48 am

DrVolin wrote:Someone had to add this: Andrew Breitbart and the mysterious March 1st Obama tapes.

Breitbart had the real birth certificate... :shock: Location of Birth: Nairobi, Kenya. :lol:

I wonder if Breitbart died of unavoidable embarassment, knowing that he really had nothing more to bring after promising so much to his fans. Like Truman Capote did after promising and failing to deliver the full version of Answered Prayers for over a decade.

I've seen some of Brietbart's propaganda. It reeked of chronic and incurable failure in all spheres of life. FWTW.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:55 am

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:
DrVolin wrote:Someone had to add this: Andrew Breitbart and the mysterious March 1st Obama tapes.

Breitbart had the real birth certificate... :shock: Location of Birth: Nairobi, Kenya. :lol:

I wonder if Breitbart died of unavoidable embarassment, knowing that he really had nothing more to bring after promising so much to his fans. Like Truman Capote did after promising and failing to deliver the full version of Answered Prayers for over a decade.

I've seen some of Brietbart's propaganda. It reeked of chronic and incurable failure in all spheres of life. FWTW.

No one of his seeming rhetorical intelligence could have believed the crap he was spouting (Dems taken over by the Hard Left, for example). Therefore, he had to be disinfo for the big lie machine. So if he was off'd, it wouldn'ta been by the camp in power.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:14 am

Spiro C. Thiery wrote:No one of his seeming rhetorical intelligence could have believed the crap he was spouting (Dems taken over by the Hard Left, for example). Therefore, he had to be disinfo for the big lie machine.

Ah, I don't know about that. There are a lot of very smart and articulate eejits in the world. Look at all the right-wing think tanks... there's some real intellectual talent involved in those, with law degrees and political science majors spilling out of their sports coats, and some of them can even write well, and a few can actually argue their case convincingly on TV. But they are all still thick as shit.

Everything I've seen or read about Breitbart suggests that he was just a dozy loudmouth who lucked into prominence (though I suppose that's exactly how TPTB would want it to look, if he was an agent for the system).

Spiro C. Thiery wrote:So if he was off'd, it wouldn'ta been by the camp in power.

Possible, I suppose. Make no mistake - I'm not trying to defend Obama here. He is already a mass-murderer in my eyes, and has been for many years. But the idea of him anctioning a hit on Breitbart at this point in time just seems stupid, even if Breutbart did have tapes ready to release on 1st March or thereabouts. The tapes would've been backed up and ready for release online long before the stated date - and if Obama had wanted them seized we'd currently be hearing about FBI raids on Breitbart's offices and the homes of his associates countrywide. Plus, they would have done it weeks ago.

I don't know, though. I'm not American. Is it really possible that someone other than Breitbart would kill Breitbart?

EDIT: Wait, sorry, you're saying he might've been offed by somebody else to increase the hatred and mistrust of Obama? That makes more sense. Sorry Spiro.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:39 am

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:
Spiro C. Thiery wrote:No one of his seeming rhetorical intelligence could have believed the crap he was spouting (Dems taken over by the Hard Left, for example). Therefore, he had to be disinfo for the big lie machine.

Ah, I don't know about that. There are a lot of very smart and articulate eejits in the world. Look at all the right-wing think tanks... there's some real intellectual talent involved in those, with law degrees and political science majors spilling out of their sports coats, and some of them can even write well, and a few can actually argue their case convincingly on TV. But they are all still thick as shit.

Sure, no doubt some believe their own bs, for the ego is a great delusionator. I'm just saying that I find it more likely that he served the monolith by default, not some irrelevant party interests; that at a minimum he knew where his bread was buttered and played it to the hilt as a (slightly more) intellectual version of Beck, if you will.

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:
Spiro C. Thiery wrote:So if he was off'd, it wouldn'ta been by the camp in power.

Possible, I suppose. Make no mistake - I'm not trying to defend Obama here. He is already a mass-murderer in my eyes, and has been for many years. But the idea of him anctioning a hit on Breitbart at this point in time just seems stupid, even if Breutbart did have tapes ready to release on 1st March or thereabouts. The tapes would've been backed up and ready for release online long before the stated date - and if Obama had wanted them seized we'd currently be hearing about FBI raids on Breitbart's offices and the homes of his associates countrywide. Plus, they would have done it weeks ago.

I agree. And anyway, "the tapes" were probably little more than the same guilt by association stuff from the last election, proving little more than the Machiavellian nature of the president.

AhabsOtherLeg wrote: EDIT: Wait, sorry, you're saying he might've been offed by somebody else to increase the hatred and mistrust of Obama? That makes more sense. Sorry Spiro.

Actually, I hadn't considered that. If that is the case, then it would be more likely the fringe nut factor, because the monolith Is functioning quite well with the hatred and mistrust at the level it is, in my opinion. Maybe he just died of insignificance.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby Nordic » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:52 am

Well a guy like Breitbart could easily lose sight of the fact that he's just a tool of the PTB, and the PTB includes Obama. Breitbart might have started to believe his own bullshit and really think thah he and his ilk are actually supposed to take down Obama. Of course nobody's really supposed to take down Obama. Obama is the current chosen one. And all the other bullshit is just trolling. Breitbart was a professional troll, nothing more, but if somebody did happen to hand something truly devastating to Obama over to him, he would have to be eliminated before he could spout off about it and (heaven forbid) actually show the stuff!

Breitbart was a fool who very likely forgot his place.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:15 am

Nordic wrote:Breitbart was a professional troll, nothing more

Spiro C. Thiery wrote:Maybe he just died of insignificance.

Gentlemen, I believe we may have solved this case!

Who knows though? Might be more to come.

I just find it hard to take him seriously, even as a weak propagandist, after a political opponent of mine on another board posted this in an attempt to discredit the Occupy movement:

I mean... why? I know 14 year olds, and not necessarily very bright ones, who could produce better right wing propaganda than that (and better left wing propaganda too - they're all about the bottom line, these 14 year olds).

Is there any real evidence of Breitbart's intelligence? Don't want to speak ill of the dead or nothing (I got stupidly annoyed when other folk rightly slagged Hitchens post-mortem) but Vreitbart just seems like a standard moron who's Youtube habit got so bad that he had to start his own independent channel.
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby dqueue » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Today from BBC we get the following:
Soviet ex-KGB chief Leonid Shebarshin 'kills himself'

A former head of the Soviet KGB foreign intelligence branch, Leonid Shebarshin, has apparently shot himself dead aged 77, Russian prosecutors and police say.

Shebarshin was found dead with a gunshot wound at his flat in central Moscow, a ceremonial pistol by his side, police told news agencies.

A suicide note was reportedly also found at the scene.

A veteran of Soviet intelligence in South Asia and Iran, he led the KGB's First Chief Directorate from 1989-91.

In 1991, he replaced coup plotter Vladimir Kryuchkov for two days as overall head of the KGB before he resigned himself, as the new post-Communist authorities set about dismantling the organisation.

As head of KGB operations in post-revolutionary Iran, he was expelled along with fellow officers in 1983.

Previously he had served in India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, Russian media reports say.

Shebarshin celebrated his 77th birthday on 24 March.

The doorkeeper at his apartment block told reporters the former KGB chief had lived alone since the death of his wife a few years ago.

"Shebarshin was friendly and good-natured," he told Itar-Tass news agency.

"He always said hello but you could see his health was failing."

Russian prosecutors said an investigation into a possible suicide was under way.
We discover ourselves to be characters in a novel, being both propelled by and victimized by various kinds of coincidental forces that shape our lives. ... It is as though you trapped the mind in the act of making reality. - Terence McKenna
dqueue

Postby MinM » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Death

The exact events and circumstances that led to his death are not clear. What is known is that Bloomfield was found dead of a drug overdose in his car on February 15, 1981.[5] The only details (from unnamed sources) relate that Bloomfield died at a San Francisco party, and was driven to another location in the city by two men who were present at the party. His tombstone is in the Hillside Memorial Park, Culver City, near Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bloomfield
Earth-704509
MinM

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie