CBS newsman Mike Wallace dies

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Slow Motion Apocalypse

Postby IanEye » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:45 am

Yeah, that Niebuhr's pretty cool.
I think it is fine to be critical of Mr. Wallace. But he had a long career, and I think there is some worthwhile interviews he did over the years.
It would be somewhat silly to make an overall judgment of Miles Davis based solely on the merits of the "Doo-Bop" album.

It is interesting to watch Wallace interview both Orval Faubus & Harry Ashmore in the same era.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: CBS newsman Mike Wallace dies

Postby Laodicean » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 am

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Re: Slow Motion Apocalypse

Postby MinM » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:21 pm

IanEye wrote:Yeah, that Niebuhr's pretty cool.
I think it is fine to be critical of Mr. Wallace. But he had a long career, and I think there is some worthwhile interviews he did over the years...

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index ... ntry218745
Jim DiEugenio wrote:Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

In 1973, Mailer published a book, Marilyn, (really a photo essay) with the assistance of longtime FBI asset on the Kennedy assassination Larry Schiller. He recirculated the tale again, inserting a new twist. He added the possibility that the FBI and/or the CIA might have been involved in the murder in order to blackmail Bobby ( p. 242). In 1973, pre-Rupert Murdoch, the media had some standards. Mailer was excoriated for his baseless ruminations. In private, he admitted he did what he did to help pay off a tax debt. He also made a similar confession in public. When Mike Wallace asked him on 60 Minutes (7/13/73) why he had to trash Bobby Kennedy, Mailer replied “I needed money very badly.” ...

CBS Sunday Morning had a show today chocked full with RI 'goodness':

Marilyn Monroe featuring the longtime disinfoteer, and the aforementioned, Larry Schiller.

Beach Boys

Robert Caro on LBJ.

Joss Whedon (Cloverfield, Dollhouse, Cabin in the Woods...). :offair:
Earth-704509
MinM

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 am

The spook murder of Marilyn Monroe was preceded by a CIA-Hollywood script priming the audience to believe she'd kill herself and the prez would have nothing to do with it. And he didn't. There's an autonomous Gestapo that runs defense for the national insecurity state's mouthpieces...

The cover-story priming technique has been used many times. A whole new way to look at movies....
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby Elvis » Tue May 01, 2012 1:54 am

MinM wrote:As far as corporate media went though Wallace especially when he was teamed with producer Lowell Bergman (not to be confused with Lowell Thomas or Lowell Weicker) were very good. BTW -- Lowell Bergman just had an excellent episode of Frontline on Rupert Murdoch.

I watched 60 Minutes pretty regularly for decades. Yes, there was good work done along with bad. I try to keep in mind that the on-camera reporter/interviewers relied almost completely on the producers and researchers for their information. Wallace was always confident and appeared well-informed about his subjects; he'd been briefed (but by whom?).

One 60 Minutes treatment in particular stands out in my memory as demonstrating both sides of the 'muckraker/cover-upper' coin. Anyone remember this? (I can't find it on YouTube, hm): Shorty after Vince Foster died, an installment reported by Wallace laid out a very good case for murder. I don't remember many details, but the report (taking the entire hour, as I recall?) was quite convincing, based on some simple impossibilities in the official story. Two or three others watching with me agreed: this 60 Minutes investigation clearly proved that Foster had to have been murdered. Our Fourth Estate on the job!

Well. The next Sunday, Wallace opens the show with a brief but complete retraction of the previous week's report. The White House or Park Police or someone had 'reminded' 60 Minutes of some minor detail that varied with the report. My impression was that it was utter bullshit, that someone had moved to close that valve fast.

Sadly, I don't think I taped either episode (but will look in my VHS archives).
I'm surprised no one put it on YouTube, or if they did, why it's not there (not that I can find).

That Keyhoe interview is maddening. The Major gives Wallace twenty good facts and Wallace closes with condescending remarks about Keyhoe's "faith." There again, someone else probably wrote that, and, in any event, in those days Wallace's attitude about UFOs was the norm (as I find it still is).

In the long run, Mike Wallace's worst bit of work might be Chris Wallace. :lol2:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Nordic » Tue May 01, 2012 2:40 am

Elvis wrote:In the long run, Mike Wallace's worst bit of work might be Chris Wallace. :lol2:

No kidding. Talk about tarnishing your legacy. Makes me think Chris Wallace must actually hate his dad.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Jennifer Harbury

Postby MinM » Wed May 09, 2012 4:32 pm

IanEye wrote:I think it is fine to be critical of Mr. Wallace. But he had a long career, and I think there is some worthwhile interviews he did over the years...

Spooking the CIA. (the crusades of political activist Jennifer Harbury)

Article from: Texas Monthly | May 1, 1995 | Reid, Jan |

AS CAMERA SHUTTERS CLICKED AND FILM advances whirred, Jennifer Harbury gaped at the rotting human head dug out of a Guatemalan grave with an eerie, transfixed calm. The exhumation that day in August 1993 was a cruel charade with a transparent theme: So, gringa, you want to come down here and marry a communist revolutionary and then make a spectacle over this traitor with your North American media circus? The grave in front of her contained three body bags. Is this your husband? someone asked her in Spanish. No? Then how about this head?

That was probably the low point in Harbury's all-consuming quest to find out what happened to the love of her life--a Mayan insurgent named Efrain Bamaca Velasquez, nom de guerre Comandante Everardo, who vanished following an ambush by a Guatemalan army patrol in 1992. Harbury had followed a long road of white liberal activism to Guatemala's civil war, and in the U.S. her obsession became a minor cause celebre. Red bumper stickers demanded: "Where Is Everardo?" Last fall Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes interviewed her during her public hunger strike in front of the national palace in Guatemala City. But her self-imposed ordeal was excruciating to behold. Even sympathizers wondered, What sort of person could put herself through all this?

In late March Harbury's persistence yielded fruit so bitter that even she seemed momentarily stunned. A New Jersey congressman named Robert Torricelli wrote President Bill Clinton and informed the press that the 1992 torture and execution of Harbury's husband--and the 1990 murder of another U.S. citizen living in Guatemala--had been ordered by a Guatemalan colonel, Julio Roberto Alpirez, who was on the payroll of the CIA. Torricelli alleged that both the CIA and U.S. Army intelligence knew of their government's complicity in these killings at the time they occurred and that both the State Department and the National Security Agency, an ultrasecretive bureau that conducts global electronic eavesdropping operations, had since participated in a cover-up. All these accusations were hotly denied. But Harbury's three-year crusade, which included two grisly exhumations and three hunger strikes totaling 69 days, in the end triggered a bombshell that staggered official Washington. It led to an FBI investigation of a U.S. Army colonel accused of destroying evidence. And it sent …

http://business.highbeam.com/410545/art ... ooking-cia
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed May 09, 2012 5:02 pm

The infowar rules changed during the 1990s with the rise of the internet coinciding with the Congressional mandate to release old JFK murdered-documents through the ARRB, the Assassinations Records Review Board.

The CIA-media credprops needed to cover their spook asses with more 'good deeds.'
'60 Minutes' is the best known credprop for the meme 'liberal watchdog press.'
And CBS was notorious as a JFK cover-up center.

So Mike Wallace...
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby Simulist » Wed May 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Posted in wrong thread. Reposted here.
Last edited by Simulist on Wed May 09, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Simulist, you are using ad hominem trolling, as usual. Mods?
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby Simulist » Wed May 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Truth be told, Hugh, I actually thought I was posting that in The Way the World Works thread.

Which I will do right now.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed May 09, 2012 5:35 pm

back to topic-

Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:The infowar rules changed during the 1990s with the rise of the internet coinciding with the Congressional mandate to release old JFK murdered-documents through the ARRB, the Assassinations Records Review Board.

The CIA-media credprops needed to cover their spook asses with more 'good deeds.'
'60 Minutes' is the best known credprop for the meme 'liberal watchdog press.'
And CBS was notorious as a JFK cover-up center.

So Mike Wallace...
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby kool maudit » Thu May 10, 2012 3:38 pm

i thought he died like five years ago. i was sure. feeling alternate timeline-y up in here again.
kool maudit

Postby MinM » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Image @nypost: "60 Minutes" correspondent Mike Wallace was once on government communist watch list http://nyp.st/VC9C2n

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/287654401869484034

Earth-704509
MinM

Buzzfeed debunks the Marilyn-JFK myth

Postby MinM » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Excellent piece at Buzzfeed debunking the Marilyn Monroe-JFK myth...
The Scandalous True Story Of Marilyn Monroe & JFK

Forget everything you’ve heard about the ”affair” between one of America’s most beloved Presidents and America’s most iconic sex symbol. The most scandalous thing about them….is that there may not be a scandal at all. By Marijane Gray for Immortal Marilyn.

In 1973, Norman Mailer had brought Marilyn to the forefront of the public consciousness with his book Marilyn. It was the first mainstream book about Marilyn to allege a Kennedy affair. It was this book that started the conspiracies about her death, claiming that both the CIA and FBI were responsible. There was one problem….it was entirely made up, which Mailer himself admitted. In a July 13, 1973 interview with Mike Wallace, Mailer was asked why he wrote the book and answered “I needed money very badly.” He also admitted that he did nearly no research, that the Kennedy conspiracy would make it sell more, and that he did not at all believe she was murdered.

Slatzer saw the runaway success of Mailer’s book and decided to model his own after it. Thanks to Norman Mailer and Robert Slatzer, Marilyn’s life is now overshadowed by absurd conspiracy theories...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/marijaneg/the-s ... -jfk-12bng

MinM » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:21 pm wrote:
IanEye wrote:Yeah, that Niebuhr's pretty cool.
I think it is fine to be critical of Mr. Wallace. But he had a long career, and I think there is some worthwhile interviews he did over the years...

Jim DiEugenio wrote:Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

In 1973, Mailer published a book, Marilyn, (really a photo essay) with the assistance of longtime FBI asset on the Kennedy assassination Larry Schiller. He recirculated the tale again, inserting a new twist. He added the possibility that the FBI and/or the CIA might have been involved in the murder in order to blackmail Bobby ( p. 242). In 1973, pre-Rupert Murdoch, the media had some standards. Mailer was excoriated for his baseless ruminations. In private, he admitted he did what he did to help pay off a tax debt. He also made a similar confession in public. When Mike Wallace asked him on 60 Minutes (7/13/73) why he had to trash Bobby Kennedy, Mailer replied “I needed money very badly.” ...

CBS Sunday Morning had a show today chocked full with RI 'goodness':

Marilyn Monroe featuring the longtime disinfoteer, and the aforementioned, Larry Schiller.

Beach Boys

Robert Caro on LBJ.

Joss Whedon (Cloverfield, Dollhouse, Cabin in the Woods...). :offair:
Earth-704509
MinM

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion